Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the possible suspect in the murders?
2. The first killing took place how long after the killer was offended by her?
3. What word best describes Vullion's reaction when he learns that Smithe has been arrested?
4. Where is the pimp supposedly located at that time?
5. What is the name of the hotel clerk that found Brown's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucas find when he wakes up the next morning?
2. How is Davenport able to question Sparks when he is out of state?
3. Who does Lucas visit? What kind present does he bring?
4. What is one of the tasks Davenport must undertake even though he is unhappy about it?
5. What is the opening description of the room as it appears in the first chapter?
6. What kinds of injuries were sustained in the struggle between Vullion and Davenport?
7. How did Vullion gain entry into Wheatcroft's home?
8. What is Davenport doing in the beginning? Who is watching?
9. Who visits Nester? Why?
10. What is Lucas upset about in the beginning of this section?
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Sandford uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Sanford's mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sandford's use of Minnesota for the setting in the Lucas Davenport series. Why do you think Sandford chose Minnesota? How accurate do you think the setting is in regards to the real location? What areas are most commonly referenced in the story? What other location might have worked as well, if not better, than Minnesota? What is unique about the setting? What regionalisms are exhibited by Davenport and the rest of the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write your own murder mystery based on RULES OF PREY. Use Davenport as the lead character. Supply complete storyboards. Include character information, plot, synopsis, etc. Explain your inspiration.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)