|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel clerk that found Brown's body?
2. The police suspect there is an important trait about the killer. What is it?
3. What is the name of the woman in court with Vullion?
4. Where does the next killing take place?
5. How does Vullion contact Davenport regarding the arrest of Smithe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Vullion appears in court? What affects Vullion?
2. Where did the next crime take place? What is found by the police? What is unusual about it?
3. How does Davenport react when Carey asks to interview Ruiz?
4. What are at least two unusual things about the killings thus far?
5. What does Maddog do regarding the news reports on the murders? What is the result?
6. What options are discussed in regards to tracking down Maddog's possible ID?
7. What are the initial actions being taken by the killer? How does he feel?
8. Who is the first person Davenport wants to track down? Where is the person?
9. How does Maddog approach his next victim? What is the reason he speaks with the woman?
10. What is the purpose of the conversation between Lucas and Internal Affairs? What is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a feature story from one of the tabloids and re-write it as a real news item from Carey's point of view. Pretend that the story might be found in a respected newspaper. What are the challenges? Are you pleased with the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Davenport is often viewed as a rogue cop, one who does not play by the book. Discuss this behavior. How is Davenport's method helpful to his work? How might it hinder or jeopardize an investigation? How do Davenport's colleagues feel about his behavior? Is Davenport viewed as an asset or liability by his commander? What kind of reprimands might Davenport receive for his unusual methods? Does Daniel know about Davenport's antics? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Sandford uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Sanford's mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)