|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The police suspect there is an important trait about the killer. What is it?
2. Who is informed of the leak to the press and offered a hideaway?
3. Who is the head of homicide?
4. How many people had access to the evidence room?
5. What is the only way Vullion could have gotten Davenport's phone number?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the first official police action in the investigation of Maddog.
2. How does Maddog approach his next victim? What is the reason he speaks with the woman?
3. What are the initial actions being taken by the killer? How does he feel?
4. Explain what happens when Davenport goes to interview Carla Ruiz.
5. Who does Vullion spot on the street at the hotel? What does he do about it?
6. What news does Davenport get from Jennifer Carey? What is Carey's decision?
7. How is Davenport notified of Brown's death? How did the clerk know something happened to Brown?
8. What are at least two unusual things about the killings thus far?
9. What childhood activity was the springboard for Maddog's killing sprees?
10. What is the result of Maddog's encounter with Carla Ruiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your own murder mystery based on RULES OF PREY. Use Davenport as the lead character. Supply complete storyboards. Include character information, plot, synopsis, etc. Explain your inspiration.
Essay Topic 2
Assuming a psychiatrist's point of view, analyze the situation with Vullion. Discuss Vullion's past history in regards to psychiatric care. What would a psychiatrist say about Vullion's need to beat the women he murders? Was Vullion perverted, mentally ill, or something else? What would the terminology be from a psychiatrist's point of view? What kind of treatment might Vullion have benefited from before the situation got out of hand? Is the behavior something that can be "cured?" If so, how? If not, what else can be done?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story, Vullion dies from gunshot wounds. Davenport makes the death look like self-defense. Is there any difference between self-defense and murder? How might it be prosecuted in court? What do you think would happen to Davenport? How could either side prove its case? Use a real life story to gain insight into the process and how a verdict is determined. Also discuss possible repercussions for Davenport.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)