|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the pimp say about the description of Vullion? What did the man look like?
2. What is the name of the widow related to the gun?
3. What word best describes Vullion's reaction when he learns that Smithe has been arrested?
4. Who does Vullion see on the street but surpasses as a victim for that night?
5. Where is the meeting between the cops held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the tasks Davenport must undertake even though he is unhappy about it?
2. What are the initial actions being taken by the killer? How does he feel?
3. Who is the suspect in the murders? Where does the man work?
4. What does Maddog do regarding the news reports on the murders? What is the result?
5. What is the result of Maddog's encounter with Carla Ruiz?
6. What is one of the reasons Smithe cannot be guilty of the murders?
7. What is the opening description of the room as it appears in the first chapter?
8. What are at least two unusual things about the killings thus far?
9. Examine the first official police action in the investigation of Maddog.
10. Explain what happens when Davenport goes to interview Carla Ruiz.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Louis Vullion. What types of things would Vullion be most proud of in his career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Vullion have done? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with his victims? How might Vullion describe how he felt before, during and after each murder?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story, Vullion dies from gunshot wounds. Davenport makes the death look like self-defense. Is there any difference between self-defense and murder? How might it be prosecuted in court? What do you think would happen to Davenport? How could either side prove its case? Use a real life story to gain insight into the process and how a verdict is determined. Also discuss possible repercussions for Davenport.
Essay Topic 3
Daniel and Davenport have an interesting professional relationship. The two veteran cops seem to respect one another. Discuss how the mutual admiration benefits their working relationship. Explore how Daniel's style of leadership has helped Davenport form his own style. What are the similarities? What is Daniel's background and how does it compare to Davenport's background?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)