|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the possible suspect in the murders?
2. The first killing took place how long after the killer was offended by her?
3. What word best describes Vullion's reaction when he learns that Smithe has been arrested?
4. Where is the pimp supposedly located at that time?
5. What is the name of the hotel clerk that found Brown's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucas find when he wakes up the next morning?
2. How is Davenport able to question Sparks when he is out of state?
3. Who does Lucas visit? What kind present does he bring?
4. What is one of the tasks Davenport must undertake even though he is unhappy about it?
5. What is the opening description of the room as it appears in the first chapter?
6. What kinds of injuries were sustained in the struggle between Vullion and Davenport?
7. How did Vullion gain entry into Wheatcroft's home?
8. What is Davenport doing in the beginning? Who is watching?
9. Who visits Nester? Why?
10. What is Lucas upset about in the beginning of this section?
Essay Topic 1
Assuming a psychiatrist's point of view, analyze the situation with Vullion. Discuss Vullion's past history in regards to psychiatric care. What would a psychiatrist say about Vullion's need to beat the women he murders? Was Vullion perverted, mentally ill, or something else? What would the terminology be from a psychiatrist's point of view? What kind of treatment might Vullion have benefited from before the situation got out of hand? Is the behavior something that can be "cured?" If so, how? If not, what else can be done?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story, Vullion dies from gunshot wounds. Davenport makes the death look like self-defense. Is there any difference between self-defense and murder? How might it be prosecuted in court? What do you think would happen to Davenport? How could either side prove its case? Use a real life story to gain insight into the process and how a verdict is determined. Also discuss possible repercussions for Davenport.
Essay Topic 3
Examine John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series. How many books are there? Write a character profile of Lucas Davenport. Discuss how the character has progressed and evolved throughout the series. Where might Davenport go next? How might Davenport's relationships with Elle, Jennifer, and his colleagues change in future books?
This section contains 1,753 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)