|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The items in the room give the impression that the occupant is which of the following?
2. Where does the suspect work?
3. How does Jennifer get privileged information regarding the case?
4. What was the suspect doing near the house being shown by Lewis?
5. What piece of information does Jennifer report in a broadcast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the suspect in the murders? Where does the man work?
2. How does Davenport react when Carey asks to interview Ruiz?
3. What is Davenport doing in the beginning? Who is watching?
4. What does Davenport learn about Sparks?
5. What does Vullion say when he calls Davenport?
6. What happens when Vullion appears in court? What affects Vullion?
7. Explain what happens when Davenport goes to interview Carla Ruiz.
8. What is the opening description of the room as it appears in the first chapter?
9. What does Davenport find when he searches the suspect's house?
10. Who is the first person Davenport wants to track down? Where is the person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Sandford uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Sanford's mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
Essay Topic 2
Jennifer Carey announces that she is pregnant but refuses to marry Lucas. Why does Carey refuse? What is Davenport's reaction? What are Carey's plans for work? What does Cary plan to do about the baby? What are Davenport's plans? To whom does Davenport go for advice? What is the state of the relationship between Carey and Davenport? What do you think might happen? Do you think the trend of unmarried people having babies has increased or decreased over the past 5 years? 10 years? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Davenport shot Vullion, knowing that Vullion would probably get away with the crimes. Examine Davenport's attempt at making the death look like self-defense. How else might Davenport have killed Vullion while making it look like self-defense or suicide? What kinds of tests might be conducted to prove or disprove Davenport's story? Use examples to illustrate your point.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)