Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the possible suspect in the murders?
2. The first killing took place how long after the killer was offended by her?
3. What word best describes Vullion's reaction when he learns that Smithe has been arrested?
4. Where is the pimp supposedly located at that time?
5. What is the name of the hotel clerk that found Brown's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucas find when he wakes up the next morning?
2. How is Davenport able to question Sparks when he is out of state?
3. Who does Lucas visit? What kind present does he bring?
4. What is one of the tasks Davenport must undertake even though he is unhappy about it?
5. What is the opening description of the room as it appears in the first chapter?
6. What kinds of injuries were sustained in the struggle between Vullion and Davenport?
7. How did Vullion gain entry into Wheatcroft's home?
8. What is Davenport doing in the beginning? Who is watching?
9. Who visits Nester? Why?
10. What is Lucas upset about in the beginning of this section?
Write a short story from the point of Jennifer Carey regarding her first meeting with Davenport. How did the pair become friends and eventually lovers? Does the couple have anything in common at all? If so, what? How does Carey adjust her professional life in regards to Lucas' work? How has the life of each character changed since they met?
At the end of the story, Vullion dies from gunshot wounds. Davenport makes the death look like self-defense. Is there any difference between self-defense and murder? How might it be prosecuted in court? What do you think would happen to Davenport? How could either side prove its case? Use a real life story to gain insight into the process and how a verdict is determined. Also discuss possible repercussions for Davenport.
Davenport shot Vullion, knowing that Vullion would probably get away with the crimes. Examine Davenport's attempt at making the death look like self-defense. How else might Davenport have killed Vullion while making it look like self-defense or suicide? What kinds of tests might be conducted to prove or disprove Davenport's story? Use examples to illustrate your point.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)