|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is being interviewed to help Davenport find common threads between the victims?
2. It is suspected that the killer is from what part of the country?
3. What mode of transportation does Davenport use to return to the cabin?
4. What is the nickname of the setting where the killings occur?
5. Davenport buys a book by what famous poet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Davenport find when he searches the suspect's house?
2. Explain what happens when Davenport goes to interview Carla Ruiz.
3. How does Maddog approach his next victim? What is the reason he speaks with the woman?
4. What is the opening description of the room as it appears in the first chapter?
5. What are at least two unusual things about the killings thus far?
6. What news does Davenport get from Jennifer Carey? What is Carey's decision?
7. How do the police feel about the lead regarding Maddog's possible origin?
8. How is Davenport notified of Brown's death? How did the clerk know something happened to Brown?
9. Where did the next crime take place? What is found by the police? What is unusual about it?
10. What is Davenport doing in the beginning? Who is watching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Sandford uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Sanford's mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
Essay Topic 2
Davenport is well known as a successful video game inventor. Discuss how Davenport got into the business. What was the original idea? How are video games developed? What kinds of games are Davenport's specialty? Is it expensive to develop a game? Where does Davenport do his work? Who helps Davenport test the games? How do you think the video game business affects Davenport's police work? Do you think Davenport will stay with the business as well as the police force? If not, which job will he quit?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sandford's use of Minnesota for the setting in the Lucas Davenport series. Why do you think Sandford chose Minnesota? How accurate do you think the setting is in regards to the real location? What areas are most commonly referenced in the story? What other location might have worked as well, if not better, than Minnesota? What is unique about the setting? What regionalisms are exhibited by Davenport and the rest of the characters? Explain.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)