|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first person to be killed before the story starts?
2. The attacks never seem to take place when?
3. Vullion gets away by making a plan to visit who?
4. Where does the Maddog go to stalk his next victim?
5. What word best describes Vullion's reaction when he learns that Smithe has been arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Davenport able to question Sparks when he is out of state?
2. What does Vullion say when he calls Davenport?
3. How does Maddog approach his next victim? What is the reason he speaks with the woman?
4. Examine the first official police action in the investigation of Maddog.
5. What is Davenport doing in the beginning? Who is watching?
6. What is the purpose of the conversation between Lucas and Internal Affairs? What is the result?
7. Where did the next crime take place? What is found by the police? What is unusual about it?
8. Who does Vullion spot on the street at the hotel? What does he do about it?
9. What offer does Davenport make to Ruiz in relation to police protection?
10. How do the police feel about the lead regarding Maddog's possible origin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vullion had frequent flashbacks about childhood, being abused, and torturing animals. Write an essay explaining Vullion's violent and traumatic childhood. What happened to Vullion's parents? Why was she so badly abused? How did the experience change Vullion? Do you think Vullion could have overcome his childhood traumas? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sandford's use of Minnesota for the setting in the Lucas Davenport series. Why do you think Sandford chose Minnesota? How accurate do you think the setting is in regards to the real location? What areas are most commonly referenced in the story? What other location might have worked as well, if not better, than Minnesota? What is unique about the setting? What regionalisms are exhibited by Davenport and the rest of the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story from the point of Jennifer Carey regarding her first meeting with Davenport. How did the pair become friends and eventually lovers? Does the couple have anything in common at all? If so, what? How does Carey adjust her professional life in regards to Lucas' work? How has the life of each character changed since they met?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)