Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the possible suspect in the murders?
2. The first killing took place how long after the killer was offended by her?
3. What word best describes Vullion's reaction when he learns that Smithe has been arrested?
4. Where is the pimp supposedly located at that time?
5. What is the name of the hotel clerk that found Brown's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucas find when he wakes up the next morning?
2. How is Davenport able to question Sparks when he is out of state?
3. Who does Lucas visit? What kind present does he bring?
4. What is one of the tasks Davenport must undertake even though he is unhappy about it?
5. What is the opening description of the room as it appears in the first chapter?
6. What kinds of injuries were sustained in the struggle between Vullion and Davenport?
7. How did Vullion gain entry into Wheatcroft's home?
8. What is Davenport doing in the beginning? Who is watching?
9. Who visits Nester? Why?
10. What is Lucas upset about in the beginning of this section?
Essay Topic 1
Assuming a psychiatrist's point of view, analyze the situation with Vullion. Discuss Vullion's past history in regards to psychiatric care. What would a psychiatrist say about Vullion's need to beat the women he murders? Was Vullion perverted, mentally ill, or something else? What would the terminology be from a psychiatrist's point of view? What kind of treatment might Vullion have benefited from before the situation got out of hand? Is the behavior something that can be "cured?" If so, how? If not, what else can be done?
Essay Topic 2
Vullion thinks about his past and how he started on the path to murder. Vullion used to torture animals, mostly squirrels. That torture led up to his first murder and the discovery of the excitement he felt each time some one or something died. Discuss Vullion's past. What might cause someone to torture an animal? What do you think prompted Vullion to do it? How did Vullion make the leap from torturing animals to killing people? Why is this a common thread amongst most serial killers?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a feature story from one of the tabloids and re-write it as a real news item from Carey's point of view. Pretend that the story might be found in a respected newspaper. What are the challenges? Are you pleased with the outcome?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)