|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can still be heard at night according to Kipling in "The Way Through the Woods"?
2. What is the man in "Half-Ballade of Watervale" in charge of?
3. Who appears to the man in "Our Lady of the Sackcloth"?
4. Who are the only ones attending the service in "Eddi's Service"?
5. Where does the British soldier in "Mandalay" want to return to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "The Runes of Weland's Sword" tell of a sword?
2. What do bees threaten in "The Bee-Boy's Song"?
3. What story does the poem "Our Lady of the Sackcloth" tell?
4. What does "That Day" depict?
5. What pain does "The Burden" express?
6. What does "The Survival" speak of the passing of?
7. What does "The Rabbi's Song" talk about?
8. What does a smuggler tell his wife in "A Smuggler's Song"?
9. How do men die in "The King's Pilgrimage"?
10. What does "Fox Hunting" bring attention to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Kipling's focus on serious issues, such as death, murder and gun control and the reason he focuses on such tough subjects.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Kipling's use of references to individuals in the Christian Bible and its significance
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Kipling's focus on wars and battles in Kipling's poetry.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)