|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kipling refer to in "The Junk and the Dhow"?
2. What does Kipling make the case of sending young men back to after war?
3. Where does the woman in "Old Mother Laidinwool" return to as it gets cold and dark?
4. Where does the British soldier in "Mandalay" want to return to?
5. What is "Gertrude's Prayer" about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "Fox Hunting" bring attention to?
2. What does "The Survival" speak of the passing of?
3. What does Kipling record in "Cain and Abel"?
4. What does "The Prayer" speak of?
5. What does Kipling advise his reader of in "The Comforters"?
6. What does "The Runes of Weland's Sword" tell of a sword?
7. What causes more grief in "The Power of the Dog"?
8. What happens to Dinah in "Dinah in Heaven"?
9. What does a smuggler tell his wife in "A Smuggler's Song"?
10. What is a man indicate in "Half-Ballade of Watervale"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a poem in which Kipling uses repetition and analyze its use.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kipling's focus on Queen Elizabeth or Queen Victoria and why Kipling chose to focus on her in his poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Kipling's use of references to individuals in the Christian Bible and its significance
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)