|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would the man in "A Smuggler's Song" answer any questions asked to him by the other character?
2. What does "The Married Man" point out the difference between?
3. What does Kipling think children of all origins can do in "To James Whitcomb Riley"?
4. What was Queen Mary according to Kipling in "The Looking-Glass"?
5. What is the woman in "Mary, Pity Women" love her man despite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a smuggler tell his wife in "A Smuggler's Song"?
2. What sounds does Kipling write about in "The Way Through the Woods"?
3. What do bees threaten in "The Bee-Boy's Song"?
4. What causes more grief in "The Power of the Dog"?
5. What pain does "The Burden" express?
6. What happens to Dinah in "Dinah in Heaven"?
7. What does "Four-feet" show about the man and the dog?
8. What does the chauffeur talk about in "The Dying Chauffeur"?
9. What is a man indicate in "Half-Ballade of Watervale"?
10. How do men die in "The King's Pilgrimage"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a poem in which Kipling uses personification and discuss its meaning in the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Kipling uses embellishment in his poetry and analyze its use.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the struggle between governmental power and religious power as seen in "Macdonough's Song."
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)