|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "The Married Man" point out the difference between?
(a) A man and a dog.
(b) A married man and a soldier.
(c) A married and a single man.
(d) A man and a woman.
2. What does the man in "The Ladies" think he learned everything there is to know about?
(c) The Army.
(d) Upper society.
3. What do the men in "Wilful-missings" do during the war?
(a) He died.
(b) He found God.
(c) He deserted.
(d) He became a hero.
4. How is the wedding in "The Sergeant's Weddin'" conducted ?
(a) As an unimportant part of the day.
(b) As a remarriage for divorced people.
(c) As if both parties were pure.
(d) In a hurry.
5. What can "little" people become according to "A Pict Song"?
(a) A saving grace.
(b) A blessing.
(c) A problem.
(d) A disease.
6. What does Kipling make the case of sending young men back to after war?
(a) Their studies.
(b) Their family.
(c) To mental institutions.
(d) To training.
7. What does the woman in "Old Mother Laidinwool" want to do?
(a) Go to church.
(b) Have a husband.
(c) Have a nice funeral.
(d) Return to life.
8. What is the woman in "Mary, Pity Women" love her man despite?
(a) His numerous hobbies.
(b) His frequent travels.
(c) All the cruel things he's done to her.
(d) His drinking problem.
9. Why should people not give advice to others according to Kipling in "The Comforters"?
(a) If they have not been in the same position.
(b) If they are mad at them.
(c) If they think they are better than the other person.
(d) If they want the person to learn from their mistakes.
10. What does the character in "The Widower" look forward to?
(a) See his mother.
(b) Joining his love in heaven.
(c) See the Queen.
(d) Having a child.
11. Where does the woman in "Old Mother Laidinwool" return to as it gets cold and dark?
(a) To her husband.
(b) To the convent.
(c) To her mother's home.
(d) To her grave.
12. What is "Gertrude's Prayer" about?
(a) Things that make people happy.
(b) Things that must be ignored.
(c) Thing that cannot be bought.
(d) Things lost that can never be gotten back.
13. What does the man in "The Return" say he did during his time in the army?
(a) He hid.
(b) He went abroad.
(c) He fled.
(d) He grew and matured.
14. What does Kipling say should be the goal of people reading "Verses from Land and Sea Tales" ?
(a) Being a soldier.
(b) Being fit in mind and body.
(c) Being rich.
(d) Being powerful.
15. Who does Kipling accuse of doing the most damage to a religion?
(b) Its followers.
(c) Other religions.
(d) The media.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can would a group a people make another uncomfortable according to "The Stranger"?
2. What does Kipling think people are giving themselves by getting a dog, according to "The Power of the Dog"?
3. What is the ritual described in "The Cuckoo Song"?
4. What does Kipling think of the punishment of Cain in "Cain and Abel"?
5. What does the British soldier in "Mandalay" want to be sent back to?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)