|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the main character of "One Viceroy Resigns" believe concerning the marks one can make on the world?
(a) It will soon be forgotten.
(b) It will be destroy by war.
(c) It is only meaningful to a few.
(d) It will stay in history.
2. What future does the man in "The Galley-Slave" see for the ship?
(a) Being sold for scrap.
(b) Being destroyed by the enemy.
(c) Being decommissioned by the king.
(d) Being sent to help others.
3. What does the man in "McAndrew's Hymn" realize about his good behavior?
(a) It is enough to go to heaven.
(b) It is balancing his bad actions.
(c) It doesn't make up for the bad things he did.
(d) It is virtually non-existent.
4. What are Kipling's poems based on according to "Prelude"?
(a) A fantastic realm.
(b) The British Court.
(c) Everyday life.
(d) His experience as a trade merchant.
5. What do the men on "The Veterans" ask them to pray for?
(a) For them to have as much courage as the veterans did.
(b) The soul of their enemies.
(d) The soul of their comrades.
6. What does Kipling say did not change much in "A General Summary"?
(a) The way man treats his fellow man
7. What does the man in "The Galley-Slave" look back to at the start of the poem?
(a) The years he worked on the ship.
(b) His marriage.
(c) His years watching ships going out to sea.
(d) His years working as a farmer.
8. Why does the main character of "The 'Mary Gloster'" want to be buried there?
(a) His daughter is buried there.
(b) His father is buried there.
(c) His wife is buried there.
(d) His best friend is buried there.
9. What did Kipling help the man learn about India?
(a) How happy its people is.
(b) Its heat is really bad.
(c) How hard traveling there is.
(d) Its customs.
10. Why is the country in "Our Lady of the Snows" receiving favors?
(a) It has been loyal to queen Victoria.
(b) It helped the Navy towning a ship.
(c) It had the best quote.
(d) It helped a coup against Victoria.
11. What makes the character in "Gehazi" evidently dishonest?
(a) His leprosy.
(b) His face.
(c) His history.
(d) His limping leg.
12. What does "The Lesson" make a case for doing?
(a) Learning from our helders.
(b) Learning from past mistakes.
(c) Learning from the priests.
(d) Leaning from others.
13. Who is the main character in "McAndrew's Hymn"?
(a) An old soldier.
(b) A young woman.
(c) An old seaman.
(d) A dying king.
14. What do the widow and the mother in "The Gift of the Sea" ignore?
(a) The word of God.
(b) The warning of a priest.
(c) The instructions of the mother's husband.
(d) The cries of another child.
15. What does Kipling say many Christians believe concerning those who worship Buddha in "Buddha at Kamakura"?
(a) That they are strange.
(b) That they are non-Christians.
(c) That they are dangerous.
(d) That they are weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did "General Joubert" die?
2. How do the inhabitants of the cities in "The Song of the Cities" refer the woman?
3. What is the profession of the man in "Gehazi"?
4. How does the King reward the man in "The Ballad of the King's Jest"?
5. What does Kipling say of those who worship Buddha in "Buddha at Kamakura"?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)