|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the masked woman show Willmore as she enters his house?
2. What does Belvile do when he comes upon the scene of the duel between Willmore and Antonio in Act 3?
3. Because he can see how much the duel with her brother is upsetting Florinda, what unexpected thing does Belvile do?
4. Who does Angellica tell Willmore he will be happier with instead of her?
5. What does Blunt do when he apologizes to Florinda for attacking her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between the way men treated high-born women like Florinda and low-born women, prostitutes in particular? Give two specific examples to back up your point of view.
Essay Topic 2
An aspect to the play's thematic point is that sometimes there are masks within masks, and the removal of one layer of disguise doesn't mean there aren't more beneath it. In a cohesive page or two, describe the first "mask" Willmore shows to Angellica. When he throws this first mask aside, what does he reveal underneath? Who do you think is the "real" Willmore? Are there any other characters with multiple-layered masks?
Essay Topic 3
The Rovers central premise is women can and should be in control of their own destinies.
1. Choose two female characters and describe how they took control of their own destiny.
2. Contrast these women with a female character who did not seem to be in control of what happened to her.
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)