|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose honor does Belvile believe Antonio is defending in the duel with Pedro?
2. What does Florinda get up her courage to do after she sees Blunt sitting and reading?
3. What does Blunt do to Florinda in the scene where she has entered a house to get away from Pedro?
4. Who does Willmore long to be with when he is arguing with Angellica?
5. What happens when Willmore comes in with Frederic and sees Belvile with Pedro and Florinda after the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between the way men treated high-born women like Florinda and low-born women, prostitutes in particular? Give two specific examples to back up your point of view.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of a tyrant? What larger context is Florinda referring to when she calls Pedro a tyrant in Act 4, Scene 2? Despite his love for her, does Belvile treat Florinda as an equal? Is his regard for her any better than her brothers? Give specific examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the one character of the play who wears no mask, literal or metaphorical? How does this provide a defining contrast to the other characters in The Rover? Discuss the contrast between this character's honesty versus the varied emotions being displayed by Willmore and Angellica. What purpose does this character serve to the subtext of The Rover? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)