|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Florinda to meet Belvile so they can finally run away together after Pedro thinks she is locked in her room?
2. What funny news does Frederic share with Belvile and Pedro as they return to Pedro's garden?
3. What does Antonio accuse Belvile of doing as he mistakes him for Willmore, who has already left the scene?
4. How does Belvile show himself to be an honorable man to Pedro after Willmore draws his sword to attack Pedro?
5. Who besides Willmore determines he also has an appointment with Angellica for which he has paid her fee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail three particular events in Act 1, Scene 2 that foreshadowed what would happen to Ned Blunt later in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Frederic agree that Blunt is justified in attacking Florinda? Why does he then hesitate after he determines Florinda might be a virtuous woman? How does this illustrate one of the core themes of The Rover in regard to how women were treated? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In The Rover, confusion piles upon confusion and anger piles upon anger, all as the result of people assuming that what they see, and believe to be true, actually IS true. The core element at the heart of both the play's theme and its narrative are the complications that arise when assumptions are made. Give three detailed examples of characters in The Rover seeing what they want to see instead of the reality of a situation.
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)