|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Belvile headed before he comes upon the duel between Willmore and Antonio?
2. Whose honor does Belvile believe Antonio is defending in the duel with Pedro?
3. What happens when Willmore challenges Antonio to a duel?
4. Angellica says she would be less upset if she gave ____________ to Willmore instead of her heart.
5. Who comes into Angellica's disguised in men's clothing as she argues with Willmore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Willmore seems to continually frustrate or infuriate Belvile. Give three examples of this occurring in The Rover. Do think Willmore's gaffes are intentional? What purpose do they serve to the plot or theme of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What is a farce? Give specific examples of how it was used in The Rover. How did these scenes differ in tone from other scenes in the play?
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of a tyrant? What larger context is Florinda referring to when she calls Pedro a tyrant in Act 4, Scene 2? Despite his love for her, does Belvile treat Florinda as an equal? Is his regard for her any better than her brothers? Give specific examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)