|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blunt do when he apologizes to Florinda for attacking her?
2. Where does Antonio order Belvile to be taken by the soldiers of town after they arrest him?
3. As all the characters are moving about the town in Act 4, what attractive woman begins to follow Willmore?
4. Who, disguised as a man, still hides when she sees Pedro coming her way?
5. What is Belvile's opinion of destiny as he finds himself a hopeless prisoner at Antonio's mercy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Frederic agree that Blunt is justified in attacking Florinda? Why does he then hesitate after he determines Florinda might be a virtuous woman? How does this illustrate one of the core themes of The Rover in regard to how women were treated? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between a literal mask and an emotional or metaphorical mask? Give specific examples from The Rover.
Essay Topic 3
What might have Aphra Behn considered a virtuous woman versus a prostitute or courtesan? Using characters and situations from The Rover, discuss what could be meant by the term "virtuous woman." What makes someone virtuous? Does station in life make one more virtuous than another?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)