|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Belvile show himself to be an honorable man to Pedro after Willmore draws his sword to attack Pedro?
2. Why does Angellica weep as she listens to the story being told by "the boy"?
3. Where do Frederic, Belvile, and Pedro head off to after Frederic relates his funny story?
4. Why is Florinda's servant unable to tell her who Pedro is about to confront for the duel?
5. Whose honor does Belvile believe Antonio is defending in the duel with Pedro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the larger themes of the play seems to be warning women to beware of the charms of men. Give four specific examples of this. Are there examples of men falling to the charms of women? How is this interpreted differently in the subtext of The Rover?
Essay Topic 2
Pedro can easily see through Antonio's mask as they both vie for Angellica's attention. Why can't Pedro see through the disguises of Florinda and Hellena? What about the sisters or Pedro makes it easier for him to be deceived? What greater thematic point of The Rover does this illustrate?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the one character of the play who wears no mask, literal or metaphorical? How does this provide a defining contrast to the other characters in The Rover? Discuss the contrast between this character's honesty versus the varied emotions being displayed by Willmore and Angellica. What purpose does this character serve to the subtext of The Rover? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)