|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Angellica weep as she listens to the story being told by "the boy"?
2. What does the masked woman demand that Willmore tell her as she reveals who she is?
3. When is Florinda to meet Belvile so they can finally run away together after Pedro thinks she is locked in her room?
4. What is Blunt wearing as he tries to avoid meeting his friends by hiding in Belvile's house?
5. Who is Willmore waiting for at Belvile's house as the first part of Act 5 comes to a close?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Rover, confusion piles upon confusion and anger piles upon anger, all as the result of people assuming that what they see, and believe to be true, actually IS true. The core element at the heart of both the play's theme and its narrative are the complications that arise when assumptions are made. Give three detailed examples of characters in The Rover seeing what they want to see instead of the reality of a situation.
Essay Topic 2
Aphra Behn used a male playwright in the Prologue. What point was she trying to make and was it effective? How would a woman saying the same things change the tone of the Prologue? How does this relate to the larger theme of people seeing what they want to see and the danger of making assumptions? Give specific examples from The Rover to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is a farce? Give specific examples of how it was used in The Rover. How did these scenes differ in tone from other scenes in the play?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)