|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Florinda assume the duel is between Pedro and Belvile?
2. Where is Antonio's duel with Pedro to take place?
3. Why is Florinda's servant unable to tell her who Pedro is about to confront for the duel?
4. How does Belvile show himself to be an honorable man to Pedro after Willmore draws his sword to attack Pedro?
5. As all the characters are moving about the town in Act 4, what attractive woman begins to follow Willmore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Frederic agree that Blunt is justified in attacking Florinda? Why does he then hesitate after he determines Florinda might be a virtuous woman? How does this illustrate one of the core themes of The Rover in regard to how women were treated? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail three particular events in Act 1, Scene 2 that foreshadowed what would happen to Ned Blunt later in the play.
Essay Topic 3
In The Rover, confusion piles upon confusion and anger piles upon anger, all as the result of people assuming that what they see, and believe to be true, actually IS true. The core element at the heart of both the play's theme and its narrative are the complications that arise when assumptions are made. Give three detailed examples of characters in The Rover seeing what they want to see instead of the reality of a situation.
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)