|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Willmore challenges Antonio to a duel?
2. As the duel has abruptly come to an end, what conclusion does Pedro come to about "Antonio"?
3. What does Blunt first tell his friends he is doing when they suddenly appear at his door in the beginning of Act 5?
4. After Antonio enters Willmore's house, who comes in unnoticed in Act 5?
5. What funny news does Frederic share with Belvile and Pedro as they return to Pedro's garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An aspect to the play's thematic point is that sometimes there are masks within masks, and the removal of one layer of disguise doesn't mean there aren't more beneath it. In a cohesive page or two, describe the first "mask" Willmore shows to Angellica. When he throws this first mask aside, what does he reveal underneath? Who do you think is the "real" Willmore? Are there any other characters with multiple-layered masks?
Essay Topic 2
Aphra Behn used a male playwright in the Prologue. What point was she trying to make and was it effective? How would a woman saying the same things change the tone of the Prologue? How does this relate to the larger theme of people seeing what they want to see and the danger of making assumptions? Give specific examples from The Rover to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between the way men treated high-born women like Florinda and low-born women, prostitutes in particular? Give two specific examples to back up your point of view.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)