|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose servant has been told to follow Willmore and discover which woman he is pursuing in Act 4?
2. Who comes into Angellica's disguised in men's clothing as she argues with Willmore?
3. Why do soldiers of the town arrest Belvile?
4. In Act 4, Scene 2, what aspect of "the boy's" story causes Angellica and Willmore to argue?
5. Why does Florinda assume the duel is between Pedro and Belvile?
Essay Topic 1
Pedro can easily see through Antonio's mask as they both vie for Angellica's attention. Why can't Pedro see through the disguises of Florinda and Hellena? What about the sisters or Pedro makes it easier for him to be deceived? What greater thematic point of The Rover does this illustrate?
Essay Topic 2
The Rovers central premise is women can and should be in control of their own destinies.
1. Choose two female characters and describe how they took control of their own destiny.
2. Contrast these women with a female character who did not seem to be in control of what happened to her.
Essay Topic 3
Willmore seems to continually frustrate or infuriate Belvile. Give three examples of this occurring in The Rover. Do think Willmore's gaffes are intentional? What purpose do they serve to the plot or theme of the play?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)