|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the masked woman who has come to see Willmore?
2. What announcement does Pedro make to Belvile, who he thinks is Antonio, after the duel is ended?
3. What does Belvile do when he comes upon the scene of the duel between Willmore and Antonio in Act 3?
4. Where do Frederic, Belvile, and Pedro head off to after Frederic relates his funny story?
5. What deal does Belvile agree to with Antonio in order to gain his freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An aspect to the play's thematic point is that sometimes there are masks within masks, and the removal of one layer of disguise doesn't mean there aren't more beneath it. In a cohesive page or two, describe the first "mask" Willmore shows to Angellica. When he throws this first mask aside, what does he reveal underneath? Who do you think is the "real" Willmore? Are there any other characters with multiple-layered masks?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the one character of the play who wears no mask, literal or metaphorical? How does this provide a defining contrast to the other characters in The Rover? Discuss the contrast between this character's honesty versus the varied emotions being displayed by Willmore and Angellica. What purpose does this character serve to the subtext of The Rover? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Give three examples of "double entendre" in The Rover. What purpose do they serve to the plot of the play?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)