|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Antonio enters Willmore's house, who comes in unnoticed in Act 5?
2. What deal does Belvile agree to with Antonio in order to gain his freedom?
3. How does Angellica respond to "the boy"?
4. What would be worse torture to Belvile than being imprisoned by Antonio?
5. As Act 4, Scene 4 comes to a close, who is hiding from Willmore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aphra Behn used a male playwright in the Prologue. What point was she trying to make and was it effective? How would a woman saying the same things change the tone of the Prologue? How does this relate to the larger theme of people seeing what they want to see and the danger of making assumptions? Give specific examples from The Rover to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In The Rover, confusion piles upon confusion and anger piles upon anger, all as the result of people assuming that what they see, and believe to be true, actually IS true. The core element at the heart of both the play's theme and its narrative are the complications that arise when assumptions are made. Give three detailed examples of characters in The Rover seeing what they want to see instead of the reality of a situation.
Essay Topic 3
How do the scenes in which Blunt is tricked by Lucetta function to lay the groundwork for his important role in the play's climax? What, specifically, does he do in the last scene of Act 4 that plays such a pivotal role?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)