Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose servant has been told to follow Willmore and discover which woman he is pursuing in Act 4?
2. Who comes into Angellica's disguised in men's clothing as she argues with Willmore?
3. Why do soldiers of the town arrest Belvile?
4. In Act 4, Scene 2, what aspect of "the boy's" story causes Angellica and Willmore to argue?
5. Why does Florinda assume the duel is between Pedro and Belvile?
Essay Topic 1
Who is the one character of the play who wears no mask, literal or metaphorical? How does this provide a defining contrast to the other characters in The Rover? Discuss the contrast between this character's honesty versus the varied emotions being displayed by Willmore and Angellica. What purpose does this character serve to the subtext of The Rover? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference between the way men treated high-born women like Florinda and low-born women, prostitutes in particular? Give two specific examples to back up your point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Aphra Behn used a male playwright in the Prologue. What point was she trying to make and was it effective? How would a woman saying the same things change the tone of the Prologue? How does this relate to the larger theme of people seeing what they want to see and the danger of making assumptions? Give specific examples from The Rover to support your answers.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)