|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pedro say to Blunt he enters the house with Belvile and Frederic and they demand to know what Blunt is up to?
2. How does Angellica respond to "the boy"?
3. In the final scene of Act 3, what kind of appointment does Willmore have with Angellica?
4. What does Antonio accuse Belvile of doing as he mistakes him for Willmore, who has already left the scene?
5. How does Belvile speak to the audience about his true feelings in Act 4, Scene 1?
Essay Topic 1
The Rover shows the way society in general, and men in particular, viewed the female gender with mistrust, resentment, anger, lust, and the capacity for violence. In the dramatization of the way women were viewed as something to be dominated and controlled, how does the play progress to demonstrate this in a much more visceral, less polite and ultimately less comic way?
Compare and contrast this with how women are treated in modern society.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between a literal mask and an emotional or metaphorical mask? Give specific examples from The Rover.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationships of Willmore and Angellica and Willmore and Hellena. What elements are similar and what are different? Also, compare Willmore's relationships with that of Belvile and Florinda. What makes these relationships different?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)