|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Antonio's duel with Pedro to take place?
2. Why does Florinda assume the duel is between Pedro and Belvile?
3. Angellica says she would be less upset if she gave ____________ to Willmore instead of her heart.
4. What does Antonio accuse Belvile of doing as he mistakes him for Willmore, who has already left the scene?
5. When is Florinda to meet Belvile so they can finally run away together after Pedro thinks she is locked in her room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the larger themes of the play seems to be warning women to beware of the charms of men. Give four specific examples of this. Are there examples of men falling to the charms of women? How is this interpreted differently in the subtext of The Rover?
Essay Topic 2
The Rover shows the way society in general, and men in particular, viewed the female gender with mistrust, resentment, anger, lust, and the capacity for violence. In the dramatization of the way women were viewed as something to be dominated and controlled, how does the play progress to demonstrate this in a much more visceral, less polite and ultimately less comic way?
Compare and contrast this with how women are treated in modern society.
Essay Topic 3
Give three examples of "double entendre" in The Rover. What purpose do they serve to the plot of the play?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)