|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What funny news does Frederic share with Belvile and Pedro as they return to Pedro's garden?
2. In Act 4, Scene 2, what aspect of "the boy's" story causes Angellica and Willmore to argue?
3. What announcement does Pedro make to Belvile, who he thinks is Antonio, after the duel is ended?
4. In the final scene of Act 3, what kind of appointment does Willmore have with Angellica?
5. Who helps Florinda escape the room where Pedro locked her up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of a tyrant? What larger context is Florinda referring to when she calls Pedro a tyrant in Act 4, Scene 2? Despite his love for her, does Belvile treat Florinda as an equal? Is his regard for her any better than her brothers? Give specific examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail three particular events in Act 1, Scene 2 that foreshadowed what would happen to Ned Blunt later in the play.
Essay Topic 3
The Rover shows the way society in general, and men in particular, viewed the female gender with mistrust, resentment, anger, lust, and the capacity for violence. In the dramatization of the way women were viewed as something to be dominated and controlled, how does the play progress to demonstrate this in a much more visceral, less polite and ultimately less comic way?
Compare and contrast this with how women are treated in modern society.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)