|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Willmore comes in with Frederic and sees Belvile with Pedro and Florinda after the duel?
2. Who does Antonio tell Belvile he is as they discuss Belvile's imprisonment?
3. Why do soldiers of the town arrest Belvile?
4. Who does Angellica think Willmore is in love with after she has him followed?
5. As the duel has abruptly come to an end, what conclusion does Pedro come to about "Antonio"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationships of Willmore and Angellica and Willmore and Hellena. What elements are similar and what are different? Also, compare Willmore's relationships with that of Belvile and Florinda. What makes these relationships different?
Essay Topic 2
What might have Aphra Behn considered a virtuous woman versus a prostitute or courtesan? Using characters and situations from The Rover, discuss what could be meant by the term "virtuous woman." What makes someone virtuous? Does station in life make one more virtuous than another?
Essay Topic 3
One of the larger themes of the play seems to be warning women to beware of the charms of men. Give four specific examples of this. Are there examples of men falling to the charms of women? How is this interpreted differently in the subtext of The Rover?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)