|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Englishmen decide to do to pass the time and bolster their spirits after all the women depart from the street in front of Angellica's?
(a) Go to the carnival.
(b) Go pick a fight.
(c) Go drinking.
(d) Go sailing.
2. What lie does Willmore tell Hellena when she approaches from the shadows in the first scene of Act 3?
(a) He has been with Angellica.
(b) He has been out to sea.
(c) He has spent the whole day looking for her.
(d) He has been with his friends all day.
3. What do Belvile and Frederic do as the action escalates in the garden?
(a) They run after Florinda.
(b) They run away.
(c) They get into a fight with the guards.
(d) They attempt to defend Willmore.
4. Even though she is angry with Willmore, what does Hellena realize about him as he tries to explain where he has been?
(a) Hellena confesses she can't be angry with him because she does not care about him.
(b) Hellena confesses she can't be angry with him because he is obviously telling the truth.
(c) Hellena confesses she can't be angry with him because he lies so flatteringly.
(d) Hellena confesses she can't be angry with him because he is so handsome.
5. Who is Ned Blunt infatuated with?
6. Willmore is willing to pay any price to be with Angellica because she is_______.
(a) "dangerously beautiful."
(b) "truly lovely."
(c) "divinely powerful."
(d) "utterly alluring."
7. Why doesn't Willmore wear his mask to the carnival?
(a) He wants his enemies to recognize him.
(b) He is afraid Angellica won't reconize him.
(c) He is afraid Hellena won't recognize him.
(d) He is very vain.
8. According to the playwright, the audience comes to see The Rover for what reason?
(a) To see the skimpy costumes.
(b) To be moved by the beautiful acting.
(c) The witty comments they will be able to make after the play.
(d) The amazing acrobatics they will see.
9. What is the typical role of a woman at the time the play was written?
(a) To sell their bodies.
(b) To be seen and not heard.
(c) To run the local government only.
(d) To travel in singing troupes.
10. As Blunt walks away from the carnival to follow Lucetta, what do his friends comment about him?
(a) He has all their money.
(b) He has no money with him.
(c) He is a great guy.
(d) He was a war hero.
11. What does Willmore promise to give Angellica in the second act of The Rover?
(a) His time.
(b) His love.
(c) His sword.
(d) His money.
12. What does Angellica give to Willmore after Antonio and his men depart her house?
(a) A lock of her hair.
(b) The small picture of herself.
(c) A special ring.
(d) The large picture of herself.
13. What is a "double entendre"?
(a) A word or phrase that is code for "I love you."
(b) A deadly poison that can't be tasted.
(c) A word or phrase that when spoken, has a clear, simple meaning, but in context is understood as having a sexual meaning as well.
(d) A plot twist that the audience knows will happen, while the characters remain oblivious.
14. How does Hellena intend to get into the carnival?
(a) By dressing to look like her sister.
(b) By sneaking into a back gate.
(c) By wearing a disguise.
(d) By paying double the entrance fee.
15. Why does Angellica think Willmore is dishonorable?
(a) She believes he wants to marry for money.
(b) He has stolen from Moretta.
(c) He won't fight for her.
(d) She believes he uses women for his own pleasure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn' t Pedro know who the Englishmen were he fought off with his sword after the attack on Florinda?
2. What state is Willmore in when he sees Florinda waiting for Belvile in the garden?
3. What comment does Pedro make as his servant tells him that Florinda is safe after the attack in the garden?
4. What does Angellica reveal in an aside to the audience as Willmore attempts to seduce her?
5. As he agrees to the duel, who does Don Antonio believe that the disguised Pedro really is?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)