|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Willmore angry as he enters the garden and sees Florinda waiting for Belvile?
(a) He is angry with Belvile and Frederic for leaving him alone.
(b) He is angry with Belvile and Frederic for letting him drink too much.
(c) He is angry with Hellena and Belvile for leaving him alone.
(d) He is angry with Belvile and Blunt for leaving him alone.
2. Why does Behn choose to have a male playwright to speak in the Prologue?
(a) Behn is a man.
(b) To make a point about the role of woman in society.
(c) To make a point about the costumes of male characters.
(d) Behn is poking fun at woman.
3. What does Willmore promise to give Angellica in the second act of The Rover?
(a) His love.
(b) His money.
(c) His time.
(d) His sword.
4. Willmore tells Angellica that he disapproves of what as he banters with her in Act 2?
5. Why does Angellica think Willmore is dishonorable?
(a) He won't fight for her.
(b) He has stolen from Moretta.
(c) She believes he uses women for his own pleasure.
(d) She believes he wants to marry for money.
6. What does Hellena decide to do to Willmore to make him pay for his attention of another woman?
(a) She is going to introduce him to her brother.
(b) She is going to play a trick on him.
(c) She is going to buy him a present for their wedding day.
(d) She is going to write him a love letter.
7. Why isn't Phillippo jealous of Lucetta flirting with Blunt?
(a) Phillippo doesn't care about Lucetta.
(b) Although Blunt has money, he is very ugly.
(c) Although Blunt has money, he is a complete fool.
(d) Phillippo knows he will kill Blunt anyway.
8. As he agrees to the duel, who does Don Antonio believe that the disguised Pedro really is?
9. Which one of the following characters is NOT interested in marrying Florinda?
(a) Don Vicentio.
(b) Don Antonio.
(c) Ned Blunt.
(d) Captain Belvile.
10. What little thing do Willmore and Antonio duel over in Act 2?
(a) A small picture of Angellica.
(b) A small picture of Hellena.
(d) A small locket of Florinda's.
11. What state is Willmore in when he sees Florinda waiting for Belvile in the garden?
(a) Willmore comes in ready to fight Pedro for Florinda.
(b) Willmore comes in very drunk.
(c) Willmore comes in very distraught with an urgent message.
(d) Willmore comes in very heartbroken.
12. Which suitor does Florinda's brother Pedro hope she will marry?
(a) Captain Belvile.
(b) Don Antonio.
(c) Don Vicentio.
(d) Ned Blunt.
13. What kind of "mask" does Willmore show Angellica in their first meeting?
(a) The mask of the truthful cusader.
(b) The mask of the rich soldier.
(c) The mask of the poor warrior.
(d) The mask of the kind brother.
14. Who saves Florinda from Willmore when he is attacking her in Act 3, Scene 5?
(a) Belvile and Phillippo appear and pull him off her.
(b) Blunt and Frederic appear and pull him off her.
(c) Pedro and Antonio appear and pull him off her.
(d) Belvile and Frederic appear and pull him off her.
15. Why do Lucetta, Sancho, and Phillippo feel safe from Blunt's retribution?
(a) They are safe because they wore disguises.
(b) They are safe because Blunt doesn't know Lucetta's name or where she lives.
(c) They are safe because Blunt is a fool and a coward.
(d) They are safe because they are leaving the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general attitude of men toward women in the scene at the beginning of the carnival?
2. Who is Ned Blunt infatuated with?
3. Why doesn' t Pedro know who the Englishmen were he fought off with his sword after the attack on Florinda?
4. The Rover is considered to be what kind of play?
5. What in particular do Belvile, Willmore, and the others find objectionable about Antonio?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)