|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Willmore believe Angellica is being sincere in her offer to be with him without payment?
(a) He has heard her lies before.
(b) He has been cheated too many times.
(c) She is a known liar.
(d) He loves her too much.
2. Why does Pedro challenge Don Antonio to a duel outside of Angellica's?
(a) To avenge Hellena's honor.
(b) Over who gets Angellica first.
(c) To avenge for his father's death.
(d) Over money Antonio owes him.
3. What do Lucetta, Sancho, and Phillippo do with Blunt's belongings?
(a) They sell them.
(b) They take them to use as a disguise to escape.
(c) They go through Blunt's clothes and jewelry, taking what's valuable.
(d) They burn them because he has nothing of value.
4. What does Florinda intend to do at the carnival?
(a) Run away.
(b) Give a note to Captain Belvile.
(c) Kiss her future husband.
(d) Dance all night.
5. Why does Behn choose to have a male playwright to speak in the Prologue?
(a) To make a point about the role of woman in society.
(b) Behn is a man.
(c) Behn is poking fun at woman.
(d) To make a point about the costumes of male characters.
6. Willmore is willing to pay any price to be with Angellica because she is_______.
(a) "divinely powerful."
(b) "truly lovely."
(c) "utterly alluring."
(d) "dangerously beautiful."
7. What is unusual about the three couples at the center of the play?
(a) They are all circus performers.
(b) Two of the couples involve the same man.
(c) They are children.
(d) Two of the couples involve the same woman.
8. After he realizes he's been fooled, who besides Lucetta is Blunt angry with?
9. How does Pedro react when he sees Willmore, Belvile, and Frederic in his garden?
(a) He calls his guards to attack the men.
(b) He punches Willmore in the face.
(c) He runs after Florinda.
(d) He draws his sword and fights Willmore.
10. What does Florinda bring with her to the garden?
(a) A key to the gate.
(b) A case of jewelry.
(c) Everything she owns.
(d) A case of clothes.
11. Who is Angellica's servant?
12. Why do Lucetta, Sancho, and Phillippo feel safe from Blunt's retribution?
(a) They are safe because Blunt is a fool and a coward.
(b) They are safe because Blunt doesn't know Lucetta's name or where she lives.
(c) They are safe because they wore disguises.
(d) They are safe because they are leaving the country.
13. As the play opens, who is about to go to a convent?
14. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, how does Belvile know that it is not possible for Willmore to approach Angellica yet?
(a) There is a red flag hanging on her door.
(b) The painting advertising her availability hasn't yet been hung outside.
(c) The gate is closed.
(d) The open sign hasn't yet been hung outside.
15. What lie does Willmore tell Hellena when she approaches from the shadows in the first scene of Act 3?
(a) He has spent the whole day looking for her.
(b) He has been out to sea.
(c) He has been with his friends all day.
(d) He has been with Angellica.
Short Answer Questions
1. In teasing his friend as they go to the carnival, Captain Belvile refers to Willmore as what?
2. What state is Willmore in when he sees Florinda waiting for Belvile in the garden?
3. In Angellica's bedchamber, what kind of "mask" is she showing Willmore?
4. What kind of costumes are Hellena and Florinda wearing to the carnival?
5. What does Willmore promise to give Angellica in the second act of The Rover?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)