|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hellena intend to get into the carnival?
(a) By sneaking into a back gate.
(b) By dressing to look like her sister.
(c) By paying double the entrance fee.
(d) By wearing a disguise.
2. How does Pedro react when he sees Willmore, Belvile, and Frederic in his garden?
(a) He draws his sword and fights Willmore.
(b) He runs after Florinda.
(c) He calls his guards to attack the men.
(d) He punches Willmore in the face.
3. The Rover contrasts what two things?
(a) The Montagues and the Capulets
(b) Good versus evil.
(c) How the characters act versus others' acting ability.
(d) What the characters say versus how they actually feel.
4. Willmore tells Angellica that he disapproves of what as he banters with her in Act 2?
5. What does Hellena intend to find at the carnival?
(a) A good bargain.
(b) A locket.
(c) A special cake.
(d) A lover.
6. What does Blunt try to take from Angellica's after the Englishmen chase off Antonio and his men?
(a) The large picture of Angellica.
(b) The small picture of Angellica.
(c) Angellica's jewels.
(d) Angellica's money.
7. What is the typical role of a woman at the time the play was written?
(a) To be seen and not heard.
(b) To sell their bodies.
(c) To travel in singing troupes.
(d) To run the local government only.
8. What kind of "mask" does Willmore show Angellica in their first meeting?
(a) The mask of the rich soldier.
(b) The mask of the truthful cusader.
(c) The mask of the poor warrior.
(d) The mask of the kind brother.
9. What does Moretta think of Willmore as he tries to seduce Angellica?
(a) He is rich and Angellica should treat him well.
(b) He is going to rob them and kill them.
(c) He is poor and Angellica should not be involved with him.
(d) He is worthy of Angellica's affection.
10. What does Blunt dread the most about his unfortunate incident with Lucetta and her accomplices?
(a) He dreads his friends finding out.
(b) He dreads being hungry and poor.
(c) He dreads losing Lucetta.
(d) He dreads having no money.
11. What does Florinda bring with her to the garden?
(a) Everything she owns.
(b) A key to the gate.
(c) A case of clothes.
(d) A case of jewelry.
12. What does Blunt notice about Lucetta's home as he is led through it by Sancho in the second scene of Act 3?
(a) Her home is very dirty.
(b) Her home is richly decorated.
(c) Her home seems amiss.
(d) Her home is poorly decorated.
13. Willmore urges Angellica to be governed by her love not ___________.
14. Who saves Florinda from Willmore when he is attacking her in Act 3, Scene 5?
(a) Blunt and Frederic appear and pull him off her.
(b) Belvile and Frederic appear and pull him off her.
(c) Belvile and Phillippo appear and pull him off her.
(d) Pedro and Antonio appear and pull him off her.
15. In teasing his friend as they go to the carnival, Captain Belvile refers to Willmore as what?
(a) The sailor.
(b) The rover.
(c) The casanova.
(d) The captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Lucetta, Sancho, and Phillippo feel safe from Blunt's retribution?
2. Why does Behn choose to have a male playwright to speak in the Prologue?
3. As Blunt walks away from the carnival to follow Lucetta, what do his friends comment about him?
4. What is the general attitude of men toward women in the scene at the beginning of the carnival?
5. What thought consoles Blunt after his bad experience with Lucetta?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)