|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Florinda waiting for in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 5?
(a) Belvile to take her away.
(b) Belvile to give her a sign.
(c) Pedro to give her money.
(d) Antonio to take her away.
2. Where does Blunt end up after he leaves Lucetta's house?
(a) Naked, roaming the streets lost.
(b) Naked in the ocean.
(c) Naked in the woods.
(d) Naked in the sewer.
3. Why doesn't Willmore wear his mask to the carnival?
(a) He is afraid Hellena won't recognize him.
(b) He wants his enemies to recognize him.
(c) He is afraid Angellica won't reconize him.
(d) He is very vain.
4. Why do Lucetta, Sancho, and Phillippo feel safe from Blunt's retribution?
(a) They are safe because they are leaving the country.
(b) They are safe because Blunt doesn't know Lucetta's name or where she lives.
(c) They are safe because Blunt is a fool and a coward.
(d) They are safe because they wore disguises.
5. What was unusual about the author of this play?
(a) The author was a 90 year old man.
(b) The author was only 11 years old.
(c) The author was a woman.
(d) The author grew orchids as a hobby.
6. What does Frederic tell Willmore is very dangerous as he goes into Angellica's house for the first time?
(a) To anger Blunt.
(b) To pay a courtesan money.
(c) To anger Antonio.
(d) To be with an angry courtesan.
7. How do the men of the family treat Hellena and Florinda?
(a) Like slaves.
(b) Like precious princesses.
(c) Like commodities to be owned and sold.
(d) Like spoiled brats.
8. What does Blunt try to take from Angellica's after the Englishmen chase off Antonio and his men?
(a) The small picture of Angellica.
(b) Angellica's jewels.
(c) Angellica's money.
(d) The large picture of Angellica.
9. Who is Frederic flirting with out on the street in front of Angellica's home?
(a) Frederic is flirting with Valeria.
(b) Frederic is flirting with Lucetta.
(c) Frederic is flirting with Hellena.
(d) Frederic is flirting with Florinda.
10. What happens to Blunt after he gets into bed with Lucetta?
(a) He passes out from drinking too much.
(b) He falls out of the bed and bumps his head.
(c) He has a heart attack.
(d) He falls through a trap in the bottom of the bed and disappears.
11. What thought consoles Blunt after his bad experience with Lucetta?
(a) That he's been through this before.
(b) That he will get his revenge.
(c) That he's going to be okay.
(d) That he's not the first person this kind of thing has happened to.
12. What kind of "mask" does Willmore show Angellica in their first meeting?
(a) The mask of the rich soldier.
(b) The mask of the truthful cusader.
(c) The mask of the poor warrior.
(d) The mask of the kind brother.
13. What does Florinda intend to do at the carnival?
(a) Kiss her future husband.
(b) Dance all night.
(c) Run away.
(d) Give a note to Captain Belvile.
14. What is the general attitude of men toward women in the scene at the beginning of the carnival?
(a) Women are meant to be wives and mothers.
(b) Women are sexual objects to be own or traded around.
(c) Woman are to be taken care of and loved.
(d) Women are lovely creatures to be worshipped.
15. Who does Hellena flirt with as they approach the carnival?
(a) Ned Blunt.
(c) Captain Willmore.
(d) Captain Belvile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the women's attitudes toward the men in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What in particular do Belvile, Willmore, and the others find objectionable about Antonio?
3. Why is the playwright speaking in the prologue as a man?
4. What does Angellica reveal in an aside to the audience as Willmore attempts to seduce her?
5. The Rover contrasts what two things?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)