|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the playwright, the audience comes to see The Rover for what reason?
(a) The witty comments they will be able to make after the play.
(b) The amazing acrobatics they will see.
(c) To see the skimpy costumes.
(d) To be moved by the beautiful acting.
2. What is a "double entendre"?
(a) A word or phrase that is code for "I love you."
(b) A word or phrase that when spoken, has a clear, simple meaning, but in context is understood as having a sexual meaning as well.
(c) A deadly poison that can't be tasted.
(d) A plot twist that the audience knows will happen, while the characters remain oblivious.
3. How do the men of the family treat Hellena and Florinda?
(a) Like commodities to be owned and sold.
(b) Like spoiled brats.
(c) Like slaves.
(d) Like precious princesses.
4. What kind of "mask" does Willmore show Angellica in their first meeting?
(a) The mask of the kind brother.
(b) The mask of the poor warrior.
(c) The mask of the rich soldier.
(d) The mask of the truthful cusader.
5. Which of the following is NOT an example of foreshadowing in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Frederic's comment that he hopes Luceta will teach Blunt a lesson.
(b) Blunt's comment about being robbed by prostitutes.
(c) Pedro's comment that Florinda will find true love.
(d) Belvile's calling Willmore the rover.
6. What effect does tricking Blunt have on Phillippo?
(a) He becomes aroused, and takes Lucetta to bed.
(b) He becomes angry and beats Lucetta.
(c) He becomes aroused, and takes Angellica to bed.
(d) He become greedy and looks for other victims.
7. What do Lucetta, Sancho, and Phillippo do with Blunt's belongings?
(a) They sell them.
(b) They burn them because he has nothing of value.
(c) They go through Blunt's clothes and jewelry, taking what's valuable.
(d) They take them to use as a disguise to escape.
8. What is the important symbol that appears as the characters head to the carnival?
(a) The mask.
(b) The rover.
(c) The rose.
(d) The secret note.
9. As Pedro leaves the first scene, what does he tell the maid Callis to do?
(a) Take Hellena to the carnival.
(b) Lock Florinda in her room.
(c) Lock Hellena in her room.
(d) Take the night off.
10. Why does Florinda run off after being rescued from Willmore?
(a) Florinda sees Hellena coming.
(b) Florinda sees Pedro coming.
(c) Florinda goes to get help.
(d) Florinda is frightened.
11. Willmore tells Angellica that he disapproves of what as he banters with her in Act 2?
12. What kind of "mask" is Hellena showing to Willmore as she catches him coming out of Angellica's house?
(a) Hellena puts on a mask of hatred as she pretends not to be falling for him.
(b) Hellena puts on a mask of a nun as she pretends to be falling for him.
(c) Hellena puts on a mask of indifference as she pretends not to be falling for him.
(d) Hellena puts on a mask of a true lover as she pretends to be falling for him.
13. The Rover contrasts what two things?
(a) Good versus evil.
(b) How the characters act versus others' acting ability.
(c) What the characters say versus how they actually feel.
(d) The Montagues and the Capulets
14. Who does Hellena flirt with as they approach the carnival?
(a) Ned Blunt.
(b) Captain Willmore.
(c) Captain Belvile.
15. What does Moretta think of Willmore as he tries to seduce Angellica?
(a) He is poor and Angellica should not be involved with him.
(b) He is worthy of Angellica's affection.
(c) He is rich and Angellica should treat him well.
(d) He is going to rob them and kill them.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Rover was first performed on stage in what year?
2. Florinda can't stand which of her possible suitors?
3. How does Hellena intend to get into the carnival?
4. Where do Florinda and Belvile make arrangements to meet when they see each other at the carnival?
5. Florinda is in love with which of the following characters?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)