|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hellena intend to get into the carnival?
(a) By paying double the entrance fee.
(b) By wearing a disguise.
(c) By sneaking into a back gate.
(d) By dressing to look like her sister.
2. Who is Ned Blunt infatuated with?
3. In teasing his friend as they go to the carnival, Captain Belvile refers to Willmore as what?
(a) The captain.
(b) The sailor.
(c) The rover.
(d) The casanova.
4. What is the general attitude of men toward women in the scene at the beginning of the carnival?
(a) Women are sexual objects to be own or traded around.
(b) Women are meant to be wives and mothers.
(c) Woman are to be taken care of and loved.
(d) Women are lovely creatures to be worshipped.
5. Why does Pedro challenge Don Antonio to a duel outside of Angellica's?
(a) To avenge for his father's death.
(b) Over money Antonio owes him.
(c) To avenge Hellena's honor.
(d) Over who gets Angellica first.
6. What do the Englishmen decide to do to pass the time and bolster their spirits after all the women depart from the street in front of Angellica's?
(a) Go pick a fight.
(b) Go to the carnival.
(c) Go sailing.
(d) Go drinking.
7. Why do Lucetta, Sancho, and Phillippo feel safe from Blunt's retribution?
(a) They are safe because they are leaving the country.
(b) They are safe because Blunt doesn't know Lucetta's name or where she lives.
(c) They are safe because Blunt is a fool and a coward.
(d) They are safe because they wore disguises.
8. What lie does Willmore tell Hellena when she approaches from the shadows in the first scene of Act 3?
(a) He has spent the whole day looking for her.
(b) He has been out to sea.
(c) He has been with Angellica.
(d) He has been with his friends all day.
9. What does Hellena make Willmore promise after she catches him coming out of Angellica's house?
(a) Hellena says she will never see him again unless he refuses to pay her brother money.
(b) Hellena says she will never see him again unless he refuses to see Lucetta.
(c) Hellena says she will never see him again unless he refuses to see Angellica
(d) Hellena says she will never see him again unless he marries her.
10. Many of the characters behave according to what standard?
(a) The king's commands.
(b) What they want to believe instead of what is actually in front of them.
(c) The rules of the land.
(d) The rules of the church.
11. Angellica allows which man to come inside her house without charge, something she rarely does?
12. Why does Florinda run off after being rescued from Willmore?
(a) Florinda goes to get help.
(b) Florinda sees Hellena coming.
(c) Florinda sees Pedro coming.
(d) Florinda is frightened.
13. Why does Angellica think Willmore is dishonorable?
(a) She believes he uses women for his own pleasure.
(b) He has stolen from Moretta.
(c) She believes he wants to marry for money.
(d) He won't fight for her.
14. What happens to Blunt after he gets into bed with Lucetta?
(a) He has a heart attack.
(b) He passes out from drinking too much.
(c) He falls through a trap in the bottom of the bed and disappears.
(d) He falls out of the bed and bumps his head.
15. After stepping out of sight of the approaching Englishmen in the beginning of Act 3, what does Hellena overhear Willmore telling his friends?
(a) He brags loudly about his many conquests.
(b) He professes his love for the gypsy girl.
(c) He brags happily about good a time he had with Angellica.
(d) He professes his love for Angellica.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Pedro make as his servant tells him that Florinda is safe after the attack in the garden?
2. As the play opens, who is about to go to a convent?
3. Why doesn't the playwright want to say anything to welcome the audience?
4. What does Hellena intend to find at the carnival?
5. What does Angellica reveal in an aside to the audience as Willmore attempts to seduce her?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)