|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who saves Florinda from Willmore when he is attacking her in Act 3, Scene 5?
(a) Belvile and Frederic appear and pull him off her.
(b) Belvile and Phillippo appear and pull him off her.
(c) Blunt and Frederic appear and pull him off her.
(d) Pedro and Antonio appear and pull him off her.
2. Who is Angellica's servant?
3. What does Florinda think of falling in love at first sight?
(a) It is foolish and impulsive.
(b) It is how she fell in love.
(c) It is romantic and sexy.
(d) It is dangerous.
4. After stepping out of sight of the approaching Englishmen in the beginning of Act 3, what does Hellena overhear Willmore telling his friends?
(a) He professes his love for Angellica.
(b) He professes his love for the gypsy girl.
(c) He brags loudly about his many conquests.
(d) He brags happily about good a time he had with Angellica.
5. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, how does Belvile know that it is not possible for Willmore to approach Angellica yet?
(a) The gate is closed.
(b) The painting advertising her availability hasn't yet been hung outside.
(c) The open sign hasn't yet been hung outside.
(d) There is a red flag hanging on her door.
6. Which suitor does Florinda's father hope she will marry?
(a) Don Antonio.
(b) Don Vicentio.
(c) Ned Blunt.
(d) Captain Belvile.
7. Why can't Willmore believe Angellica is being sincere in her offer to be with him without payment?
(a) She is a known liar.
(b) He has heard her lies before.
(c) He has been cheated too many times.
(d) He loves her too much.
8. The Rover was first performed on stage in what year?
9. What does Hellena decide to do to Willmore to make him pay for his attention of another woman?
(a) She is going to buy him a present for their wedding day.
(b) She is going to introduce him to her brother.
(c) She is going to play a trick on him.
(d) She is going to write him a love letter.
10. What does Angellica give to Willmore after Antonio and his men depart her house?
(a) A lock of her hair.
(b) The large picture of herself.
(c) A special ring.
(d) The small picture of herself.
11. What is a "double entendre"?
(a) A plot twist that the audience knows will happen, while the characters remain oblivious.
(b) A deadly poison that can't be tasted.
(c) A word or phrase that is code for "I love you."
(d) A word or phrase that when spoken, has a clear, simple meaning, but in context is understood as having a sexual meaning as well.
12. As Blunt walks away from the carnival to follow Lucetta, what do his friends comment about him?
(a) He has no money with him.
(b) He is a great guy.
(c) He was a war hero.
(d) He has all their money.
13. Which suitor does Florinda's brother Pedro hope she will marry?
(a) Ned Blunt.
(b) Don Vicentio.
(c) Don Antonio.
(d) Captain Belvile.
14. Even though she is angry with Willmore, what does Hellena realize about him as he tries to explain where he has been?
(a) Hellena confesses she can't be angry with him because he lies so flatteringly.
(b) Hellena confesses she can't be angry with him because she does not care about him.
(c) Hellena confesses she can't be angry with him because he is so handsome.
(d) Hellena confesses she can't be angry with him because he is obviously telling the truth.
15. Willmore urges Angellica to be governed by her love not ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the typical role of a woman at the time the play was written?
2. Why doesn't Willmore wear his mask to the carnival?
3. What is the general attitude of men toward women in the scene at the beginning of the carnival?
4. What effect does tricking Blunt have on Phillippo?
5. The Rover is considered to be what kind of play?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)