|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Florinda can't stand which of her possible suitors?
(a) Ned Blunt.
(b) Don Antonio.
(c) Captain Belvile.
(d) Don Vincentio.
2. Willmore urges Angellica to be governed by her love not ___________.
3. Willmore tells Angellica that he disapproves of what as he banters with her in Act 2?
4. Why does Willmore offer to join forces and finances with the other merchants of the town?
(a) To start a war.
(b) To go to the carnival.
(c) To destroy Don Antonio.
(d) To afford to be with Angellica.
5. The three couples in The Rover will struggle in what way?
(a) To have children.
(b) To live the way they want instead of what society wants.
(c) To live well beyond their means.
(d) To move to America.
6. What is the important symbol that appears as the characters head to the carnival?
(a) The rose.
(b) The mask.
(c) The secret note.
(d) The rover.
7. Who is Ned Blunt infatuated with?
8. What does Willmore promise to give Angellica in the second act of The Rover?
(a) His love.
(b) His money.
(c) His sword.
(d) His time.
9. Why does Behn choose to have a male playwright to speak in the Prologue?
(a) To make a point about the role of woman in society.
(b) Behn is a man.
(c) To make a point about the costumes of male characters.
(d) Behn is poking fun at woman.
10. What does Blunt tell Lucetta as he prepares to get into bed with her?
(a) If Lucetta would consent, he would like to marry her.
(b) If Lucetta wouldn't mind, he likes the candle lit.
(c) If Lucetta's rich old husband were dead, he would marry her.
(d) If Lucetta young handsome husband were dead, he would marry her.
11. What do the Englishmen decide to do to pass the time and bolster their spirits after all the women depart from the street in front of Angellica's?
(a) Go to the carnival.
(b) Go sailing.
(c) Go pick a fight.
(d) Go drinking.
12. What does Angellica reveal in an aside to the audience as Willmore attempts to seduce her?
(a) She despises Willmore.
(b) Willmore's words are moving her.
(c) She intends to rob Willmore.
(d) She is truly in love with Antonio.
13. What does Angellica give to Willmore after Antonio and his men depart her house?
(a) The large picture of herself.
(b) A lock of her hair.
(c) A special ring.
(d) The small picture of herself.
14. What does Florinda tell Belvile before she leaves the garden?
(a) To come to her window.
(b) To leave her alone.
(c) To give a note to Hellena.
(d) To wait for her signal.
15. What does Blunt dread the most about his unfortunate incident with Lucetta and her accomplices?
(a) He dreads his friends finding out.
(b) He dreads losing Lucetta.
(c) He dreads having no money.
(d) He dreads being hungry and poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hellena intend to find at the carnival?
2. What does Hellena make Willmore promise after she catches him coming out of Angellica's house?
3. What was unusual about the author of this play?
4. Why can't Willmore believe Angellica is being sincere in her offer to be with him without payment?
5. What does Florinda do to test Belvile's love for her as they are standing around with Frederica and Valeria?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)