|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Englishmen decide to do to pass the time and bolster their spirits after all the women depart from the street in front of Angellica's?
(a) Go to the carnival.
(b) Go pick a fight.
(c) Go sailing.
(d) Go drinking.
2. Who is Ned Blunt infatuated with?
3. The Rover was first performed on stage in what year?
4. Which of the following is NOT an example of foreshadowing in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Frederic's comment that he hopes Luceta will teach Blunt a lesson.
(b) Pedro's comment that Florinda will find true love.
(c) Belvile's calling Willmore the rover.
(d) Blunt's comment about being robbed by prostitutes.
5. Why does Behn choose to have a male playwright to speak in the Prologue?
(a) To make a point about the role of woman in society.
(b) Behn is poking fun at woman.
(c) Behn is a man.
(d) To make a point about the costumes of male characters.
6. What is the important symbol that appears as the characters head to the carnival?
(a) The mask.
(b) The rover.
(c) The rose.
(d) The secret note.
7. The Rover contrasts what two things?
(a) The Montagues and the Capulets
(b) Good versus evil.
(c) How the characters act versus others' acting ability.
(d) What the characters say versus how they actually feel.
8. What does Hellena intend to find at the carnival?
(a) A special cake.
(b) A lover.
(c) A good bargain.
(d) A locket.
9. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Willmore tells Florinda before he realizes who she is in the garden?
(a) That it doesn't matter that he doesn't know her name.
(b) That he is looking for a girl to marry.
(c) How honest he is.
(d) How attractive she is.
10. What comment does Pedro make as his servant tells him that Florinda is safe after the attack in the garden?
(a) Drinking and fighting are disgusting habits, leading to debauchery.
(b) He will get his final revenge on these men.
(c) Masquerading is a great custom, leading to interesting encounters.
(d) Masquerading is a disgusting custom, leading to debauchery.
11. Where do Florinda and Belvile make arrangements to meet when they see each other at the carnival?
(a) That night at the garden gate.
(b) The next morning at Belvile's house.
(c) The next morning at the garden gate.
(d) That night at her house.
12. What is the typical role of a woman at the time the play was written?
(a) To travel in singing troupes.
(b) To be seen and not heard.
(c) To run the local government only.
(d) To sell their bodies.
13. What does Angellica give to Willmore after Antonio and his men depart her house?
(a) The small picture of herself.
(b) A lock of her hair.
(c) The large picture of herself.
(d) A special ring.
14. The three couples in The Rover will struggle in what way?
(a) To have children.
(b) To move to America.
(c) To live well beyond their means.
(d) To live the way they want instead of what society wants.
15. Who is Angellica's servant?
Short Answer Questions
1. Willmore is willing to pay any price to be with Angellica because she is_______.
2. What happens to Blunt after he gets into bed with Lucetta?
3. What does Florinda tell Belvile before she leaves the garden?
4. Why does Pedro challenge Don Antonio to a duel outside of Angellica's?
5. What does Angellica overhear Willmore telling Hellena as she comes onto the scene with her servant?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)