|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ned Blunt infatuated with?
2. As Pedro leaves the first scene, what does he tell the maid Callis to do?
(a) Take Hellena to the carnival.
(b) Lock Hellena in her room.
(c) Take the night off.
(d) Lock Florinda in her room.
3. According to the playwright, the audience comes to see The Rover for what reason?
(a) The witty comments they will be able to make after the play.
(b) To be moved by the beautiful acting.
(c) To see the skimpy costumes.
(d) The amazing acrobatics they will see.
4. In teasing his friend as they go to the carnival, Captain Belvile refers to Willmore as what?
(a) The captain.
(b) The casanova.
(c) The sailor.
(d) The rover.
5. Why does Angellica think Willmore is dishonorable?
(a) She believes he wants to marry for money.
(b) He has stolen from Moretta.
(c) She believes he uses women for his own pleasure.
(d) He won't fight for her.
6. Where do Florinda and Belvile make arrangements to meet when they see each other at the carnival?
(a) The next morning at Belvile's house.
(b) The next morning at the garden gate.
(c) That night at her house.
(d) That night at the garden gate.
7. Many of the characters behave according to what standard?
(a) The king's commands.
(b) The rules of the land.
(c) The rules of the church.
(d) What they want to believe instead of what is actually in front of them.
8. What in particular do Belvile, Willmore, and the others find objectionable about Antonio?
(a) His bad temper.
(b) His lack of cooperation.
(c) His generosity.
(d) His stinginess.
9. Even though she is angry with Willmore, what does Hellena realize about him as he tries to explain where he has been?
(a) Hellena confesses she can't be angry with him because he is so handsome.
(b) Hellena confesses she can't be angry with him because he lies so flatteringly.
(c) Hellena confesses she can't be angry with him because she does not care about him.
(d) Hellena confesses she can't be angry with him because he is obviously telling the truth.
10. What does Florinda intend to do at the carnival?
(a) Give a note to Captain Belvile.
(b) Dance all night.
(c) Kiss her future husband.
(d) Run away.
11. What does Florinda tell Belvile before she leaves the garden?
(a) To give a note to Hellena.
(b) To leave her alone.
(c) To come to her window.
(d) To wait for her signal.
12. Why does Florinda run off after being rescued from Willmore?
(a) Florinda goes to get help.
(b) Florinda sees Pedro coming.
(c) Florinda is frightened.
(d) Florinda sees Hellena coming.
13. Which one of the following characters is NOT interested in marrying Florinda?
(a) Ned Blunt.
(b) Captain Belvile.
(c) Don Antonio.
(d) Don Vicentio.
14. What lie does Willmore tell Hellena when she approaches from the shadows in the first scene of Act 3?
(a) He has been with his friends all day.
(b) He has been out to sea.
(c) He has spent the whole day looking for her.
(d) He has been with Angellica.
15. What kind of "mask" does Willmore show Angellica in their first meeting?
(a) The mask of the kind brother.
(b) The mask of the poor warrior.
(c) The mask of the rich soldier.
(d) The mask of the truthful cusader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florinda bring with her to the garden?
2. Why isn't Phillippo jealous of Lucetta flirting with Blunt?
3. As the play opens, who is about to go to a convent?
4. After he realizes he's been fooled, who besides Lucetta is Blunt angry with?
5. Which of the following is NOT an example of foreshadowing in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)