Act 1, Prologue
* This Restoration Comedy written by a woman challenges gender roles and societal stereotypes.
* It follows three couples as they try to live the way they want instead of what society wants.
* The language of the play shows the contrast between what the characters think and believe versus their actions.
Act 1, Scene 1
* This first scene starts with sisters Hellena and Florinda arguing about their futures. Hellena is destined to be a nun, despite her romantic notions about finding a lover. Florinda has three men who would like to marry her, although she is only in love with one of them.
* The men see the women characters as commodities, while the women seem to view themselves as independent individuals with choices about the future.
* The sisters decide to wear costumes and go to the carnival.
Act 1, Scene 2
* The three Englishmen, Frederic, Ned Blunt and Captain Belvile discuss Belvile's...
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)