|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor say Serafina had lost?
2. Who did Rose want Peppina to call?
3. What does Peppina say Rosa was wearing when she turned to look at her?
4. Why is Rosa allowed to graduate even though she missed her final examinations?
5. What does Serafina say she has lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake does Alvaro make when protesting against being a flirt?
2. Why did Rosa run to the bathroom at the dance?
3. How does Serafina try to tidy her mother up?
4. Why does Serafina say she is not jealous of Bessie and Flora?
5. Why are the women gathered outside Serafina's house?
6. How does Rosa react to her father's death?
7. What does Rosa say Jack told her about dancing on the dance floor?
8. Describe Alvaro.
9. What sound comes from the back of the cottage?
10. Why can Rosa still graduate despite the fact she had not attended any exams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE ROSE TATTOO was made into a film starring Burt Lancaster. How did the filmmakers adapt Williams' ideas to film? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the play.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed in THE ROSE TATTOO particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)