|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosa say she is ashamed of?
2. Why is Rosa allowed to graduate even though she missed her final examinations?
3. Who does Serafina not want the women to behave improper in front of?
4. Who does Serafina blame for her recent trouble with her daughter?
5. How does Serafina think her daughter has hurt herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rosa break open the piggy bank?
2. What do Bessie and Flora talk about that upsets Serafina?
3. Why does Father de Leo say he could not come earlier?
4. How does Assunta comfort Serafina?
5. How does Miss Yorke's appearance enrage the women?
6. Why does Jack want to take Rosa's handkerchief back to his ship?
7. Why is Serafina frustrated at the beginning of this scene?
8. Why is Alvaro angry with the salesman?
9. Why does Serafina tell Rosa not to look at Strega?
10. Why does Alvaro crawl over to Rosa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the conventions of a play in terms of character, language and plot? In what way did THE ROSE TATTOO help to set the template for similar plays? Do modern plays still use the ideas the author used in THE ROSE TATTOO?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the play.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)