|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosa say her husband's skin was as smooth as?
2. What month does this scene take place in?
3. Which of the characters is dead?
4. What does the priest not want to happen to Rosario's body?
5. What does Flora want to pick up from Serafina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvaro foretell will happen to Serafina?
2. Why does Jack want to take Rosa's handkerchief back to his ship?
3. What does Serafina say is the truth about Alvaro?
4. Why can Rosa still graduate despite the fact she had not attended any exams?
5. What does Assunta say about Rosario's ashes?
6. Why is Serafina pleased Rosario is quitting his job?
7. How does the audience immediately understand that the owner of the house is a dressmaker?
8. How does Serafina react when Alvaro tell her that he loves her?
9. Why does Serafina say she is not jealous of Bessie and Flora?
10. Describe Alvaro.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rosa has a difficult relationship with her mother. Why is a mother's relationship with her child so important? How has Rosa's relationship with her mother affected her?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's style. How would you describe the author's style? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)