|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rose tell Peppina had been locked up?
2. What city are Bessie and Flora catching a train to?
3. What are the mothers demanding Serafina give them?
4. What is Estelle's surname?
5. What is Serafina giving Rosa as her graduation present?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack want to take Rosa's handkerchief back to his ship?
2. What does Rosa say Jack told her about dancing on the dance floor?
3. What do Bessie and Flora talk about that upsets Serafina?
4. How did Serafina know she had conceived?
5. Why is Rosa so sad?
6. How does Assunta comfort Serafina?
7. Why is Serafina frustrated at the beginning of this scene?
8. How do the women react to Estelle's appearance?
9. How did Rosario die?
10. How does Serafina try to tidy her mother up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)