|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Miss Yorke say she speaks?
2. What does Serafina beg her daughter not to do?
3. What is Assunta's job?
4. What does the doctor say Serafina had lost?
5. What does the priest not want to happen to Rosario's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the women react to Estelle's appearance?
2. How does Serafina try to tidy her mother up?
3. What do Flora and Bessie say they will do if Serafina does not finish their blouses?
4. Why did Rosa run to the bathroom at the dance?
5. What does Alvaro foretell will happen to Serafina?
6. Why are the women gathered outside Serafina's house?
7. How does Serafina react when she hears Rosa screaming?
8. Describe Alvaro.
9. Why does the priest not want Rosario's body cremated?
10. Why did Alvaro's wedding never take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rosa has a difficult relationship with her mother. Why is a mother's relationship with her child so important? How has Rosa's relationship with her mother affected her?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed in THE ROSE TATTOO particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 3
THE ROSE TATTOO was made into a film starring Burt Lancaster. How did the filmmakers adapt Williams' ideas to film? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)