|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Estelle's surname?
2. What was Estelle going to give Rosario as a gift?
3. What is Miss Yorke's job?
4. When does the doctor say Assunta should inject Serafina with the morphine?
5. What does the doctor say Serafina had lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the doctor not see a problem with Serafina's cremating Rosario's body?
2. How does Serafina arrange for Alvaro to sleep at her house without the neighbors knowing?
3. How do the women react to Estelle's appearance?
4. What do Flora and Bessie say they will do if Serafina does not finish their blouses?
5. What does Assunta say about Rosario's ashes?
6. Why does Father de Leo think Serafina has gone off the deep end?
7. What does the doctor tell Father de Leo about Serafina?
8. Why does Father de Leo say he could not come earlier?
9. Describe Serafina's appearance in this scene.
10. How does Serafina try to tidy her mother up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the play.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the play if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)