|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosario put in his hair?
2. What kind of truck did Rosario drive for the Romano Brothers?
3. Who does Serafina blame for her recent trouble with her daughter?
4. What is Serafina giving Rosa as her graduation present?
5. Why does Serafina want Rosario's body cremated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Serafina say she does not want to make friends with her neighbors?
2. Who is waiting outside Serafina's house?
3. How do the women react to Estelle's appearance?
4. Why does Serafina run out of her house screaming?
5. What do Flora and Bessie say they will do if Serafina does not finish their blouses?
6. Why does Rosa break open the piggy bank?
7. Why did Alvaro's wedding never take place?
8. How does Serafina arrange for Alvaro to sleep at her house without the neighbors knowing?
9. How did Serafina react to Rosa talking to Peppina?
10. How does the audience immediately understand that the owner of the house is a dressmaker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Serafina's character to the person she is at the beginning of the play to the person she is at the end.
1. What did Serafina hope to achieve at the beginning of the play?
2. What events changes Serafina's ideas about life?
3. How has Serafina's character changed by the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed in THE ROSE TATTOO particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the play.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)