|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Milagros opens the book with a description of a guest arriving at her boarding house. Who was that guest?
2. What secret do Camilo and Mrs. Milagros share in Part I, Chapter 6 that causes them to share excited glances at the dinner table?
3. Which of the following best describes Mrs. Milagros' tone in Part I, Chapter 1?
4. To what kind of neighborhood does Camilo travel in Part I, Chapter 5?
5. Who at the boarding house goes out for the mail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new restoration project does Camilo describe in Part I, Chapter 5? How did he receive this work?
2. In Part I, Chapter 2, what are the signs that Camilo may have some unusual habits or character traits?
3. What do we learn about Mrs. Milagros, the narrator of Part I, Chapter 1, from her own descriptions of other characters at the beginning of the text?
4. How does Mrs. Milagros respond to David Reguel's claim that he has a relationship with Rosaura that is independent of Camilo?
5. In Part I, Chapter 7, what relationship does David Reguel now claim to have with Rosaura?
6. How does Mrs. Milagros first see an image of Rosaura?
7. What is David Reguel's response to Camilo's portrait of Rosaura?
8. How does Mrs. Milagros describe Camilo settling into the boarding house?
9. How does Mrs. Milagros describe the story of Camilo meeting Rosaura in Part I, Chapter 5?
10. In the Part I, Chapter 2, how does Mrs. Milagros characterize Camilo as a boarding house guest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Mrs. Milagros relays the experience of reading Rosaura's letter, she touches on the theme of education. She notes that Rosaura's writing is that of a literate, educated woman. She also notes the education of others in the boarding house like David Reguel, who is very learned and intimidates her. How does education manifest itself? How does it unite and separate the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Two little discussed characters in the novel are the maid Elsa and the man who kills Rosaura (Turco). Why do you believe that the author includes so little detail about these characters?
Essay Topic 3
There are several recurring motifs in the text. What are these? Give specific examples from the text, and explain why you think that the author has chosen to repeat these ideas.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)