|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best characterize Mrs. Milagros' attitude toward art?
2. According to Mrs. Milagros, on what day does Camilo visit the writer of the letters?
3. How does Mrs. Milagros describe the image she sees of Rosaura in Part I, Chapter 6?
4. Who receives the final letter that arrives at the house for Camilo?
5. How does Mrs. Milagros describe watching Camilo go to his room where he will read his letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Milagros describe Camilo's self-confidence and interest in romance in Part I, Chapter 2? What does Camilo tell her that shows his attitude in this area?
2. In Part I, Chapter 3, how does Mrs. Milagros describe the contents of the letters that Camilo receives and who they are from?
3. Who narrates Part I, Chapter 1, of the text, and why does she tell her story?
4. Are there any indicators in Part I, Chapter 2 that Camilo might be involved in an investigation?
5. Who is Eufrasia Morales?
6. What do we learn about Mrs. Milagros, the narrator of Part I, Chapter 1, from her own descriptions of other characters at the beginning of the text?
7. What is Camilo's arrangement to work on the new restoration project described in Part I, Chapter 5?
8. How does Mrs. Milagros first see an image of Rosaura?
9. What are Mrs. Milagros' first impressions of Camilo? How does she describe them?
10. In Part I, Chapter 7, how does Mrs. Milagros come to read the contents of the final love letter Camilo receives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Male vs. female roles and stereotypes are addressed at various points throughout the text. Describe three scenes where this theme is highlighted.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used from the very beginning of the book, as mention is made that an investigation is happening, though the reader knows nothing of the crime or even the players involved. Describe two other ways in which foreshadowing and other ways of looking at time non-linearly contribute to the text.
Essay Topic 3
There are several recurring motifs in the text. What are these? Give specific examples from the text, and explain why you think that the author has chosen to repeat these ideas.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)