|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Milagros, on what day does Camilo visit the writer of the letters?
2. Who questions whether Camilo has a clear vision of Rosaura?
3. Which of the following best describes Mrs. Milagros' tone in Part I, Chapter 1?
4. Which of the following best describes how Camilo is treated by the man with whom he interacts in Part I, Chapter 5?
5. What does the letter that Camilo receives smell of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Milagros describe the story of Camilo meeting Rosaura in Part I, Chapter 5?
2. How does Camilo react to the letter that he receives telling him that he and his love must be separated and that he should be patient and wait?
3. What new restoration project does Camilo describe in Part I, Chapter 5? How did he receive this work?
4. How does Mrs. Milagros first see an image of Rosaura?
5. How does the author create an immediate sense of urgency and suspense in Part I, Chapter 1?
6. In Part I, Chapter 2, what are the signs that Camilo may have some unusual habits or character traits?
7. What opinion and advice does Mrs. Milagros give Camilo about his love?
8. How does Mrs. Milagros describe Camilo's self-confidence and interest in romance in Part I, Chapter 2? What does Camilo tell her that shows his attitude in this area?
9. How does Mrs. Milagros respond to David Reguel's claim that he has a relationship with Rosaura that is independent of Camilo?
10. How does Mrs. Milagros describe Camilo settling into the boarding house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used from the very beginning of the book, as mention is made that an investigation is happening, though the reader knows nothing of the crime or even the players involved. Describe two other ways in which foreshadowing and other ways of looking at time non-linearly contribute to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are described as having unique "manias," or odd idiosyncratic ways of doing things? What role do these play in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Rosaura has had several names and identities during her life. What names has she had? Why has she had these names? Do any of the other characters share with her having had several identities?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)