|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is David Reguel?
2. According to Mrs. Milagros, on what day does Camilo visit the writer of the letters?
3. What do Mrs. Milagros and her daughters suggest Camilo do if Rosaura's father is difficult?
4. Who receives the final letter that arrives at the house for Camilo?
5. Which of the following best describes how Camilo is treated by the man with whom he interacts in Part I, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Milagros respond to David Reguel's claim that he has a relationship with Rosaura that is independent of Camilo?
2. How does the author create an immediate sense of urgency and suspense in Part I, Chapter 1?
3. Once Mrs. Milagros has read Camilo's final love letter, what advice does she offer him?
4. In Part I, Chapter 6, how do the people staying at the boarding house begin to talk about Rosaura?
5. How does Mrs. Milagros describe Camilo's self-confidence and interest in romance in Part I, Chapter 2? What does Camilo tell her that shows his attitude in this area?
6. What does Mrs. Milagros tell the inspector about Camilo's business?
7. What new restoration project does Camilo describe in Part I, Chapter 5? How did he receive this work?
8. In Part I, Chapter 3, how does Mrs. Milagros describe the contents of the letters that Camilo receives and who they are from?
9. How does Mrs. Milagros describe the story of Camilo meeting Rosaura in Part I, Chapter 5?
10. In Part I, Chapter 2, what are the signs that Camilo may have some unusual habits or character traits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Milagros and David Reguel present very different pictures of the same thing -- life in Mrs. Milagros' boarding house -- especially with respect to the different personalities that reside at the house. Compare and contrast Milagros and Reguel's descriptions of the boarding house, the people who live there, and the crime that is under investigation. Is there one objective reality or are all perspectives valid? Which picture of reality do you think the author believes?
Essay Topic 2
Rosaura has had several names and identities during her life. What names has she had? Why has she had these names? Do any of the other characters share with her having had several identities?
Essay Topic 3
After reading all of the descriptions of Rosaura (by Mrs. Milagros, David, Camilo, Elsa, and Rosaura's own letter), what is the real story of Rosaura? Tell the story linearly, and be sure to include which narratives the different pieces of the story are pulled from.
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)