Part I, Chapter 1
• The narrator, Mrs. Milagros, is talking to an inspector about a boarder who has lived at her boarding house for what she initially claims were six months, and later corrects to twelve years.
• Mrs. Milagros describes to an inspector how Camilo arrived on her doorstep carrying an enormous suitcase.
• Mrs. Milagros says that Camilo was awkward and painfully shy, which she discovers as she interrogates him to help her decide whether he was worthy to live in her boarding house.
• Mrs. Milagros thinks he might be a law clerk or a solicitor.
• Camilo tells Mrs. Milagros that he is a painter. She is not impressed by this because she doesn't think painting pictures is steady, honest work, but he shows her his bank book, which has a large sum in it, so she accepts him.
• Camilo is a bachelor and claims to have no relations...
This section contains 3,782 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)