|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what social class is Lady Winchilsea?
2. Who is the author of Jane Eyre?
3. Woolf claims that talent cannot be weighed like _________.
4. John Langdon Davies said that women become unnecessary when children become ________.
5. What things does Carmichael not possess enough of, according to the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the shift in point of view that takes place at the end of the novel. Why is it important? How does Woolf address potential critics? What does she reveal as the motive for this lecture?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the use of literary allusions in A Room of One's Own. Who/what is mentioned? How do these people and works relate to the story? What does the prevalence of allusions indirectly say about the author's own intelligence?
Essay Topic 3
Why is androgyny important in fiction, according to the narrator/Woolf? How does not being sex-conscious enhance fiction? What examples does Woolf provide of writers who wrote from both sides of the brain?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)