|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator claims that the _________ with which men write is incomprehensible to women.
2. What does the narrator say the sight of a woman "creating in a different medium than his own" does to a man?
3. In the case of Charlotte Bronte, what does the narrator claim Bronte's gender interfered with?
4. Woolf claims that talent cannot be weighed like _________.
5. In talking about Carmichael's novel, what does the narrator find herself slipping "unthinkably" into?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major obstacles do women writers face, according to the narrator? Provide and describe three examples from the text. At what time, and why, did these obstacles exist? Were they overcome? How? What obstacles still exist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characterization of Judith. How is she different from her brother? How are they similar? What does she represent to the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of structure, integrity, and experience in creating fiction. What were the differences in how women approached these things vs. men?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)