|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say is natural for the sexes to do?
2. The narrator says that "the majority of women are neither _______ nor courtesans."
3. What does the narrator say the sight of a woman "creating in a different medium than his own" does to a man?
4. Which gender does the narrator say is to blame for the current state of fiction?
5. What name does the narrator give to the male author she reads after reading so many novels by women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the major differences between Oxbridge and Fernham as they relate to the larger theme of the inequality of the sexes during the time period examined by the narrator. What other examples of disparate treatment does the narrator provide? How is inequality evident throughout the time periods readers are exposed to in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different ways that the narrator reveals women are objectified. For example, how are they simply mirrors for men? In what other ways are women presented as inactive objects?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen. Given what the narrator reveals about each women, how are they similar in both their approach to writing and their experience of it? How is this evidenced in their works?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)