|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of writer is Mr. B?
2. According to the narrator, what holds a novel together?
3. Up until Behn, what did female writers lack?
4. According to the narrator, what will Carmichael "have her work cut out for her" as?
5. What does the narrator say that the modern woman writer may use writing as, rather than self-expression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of women as the narrator takes the reader through it. Include a discussion of women as characters as well as writers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why women were more successful, initially, in writing novels than in writing poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Why is androgyny important in fiction, according to the narrator/Woolf? How does not being sex-conscious enhance fiction? What examples does Woolf provide of writers who wrote from both sides of the brain?
This section contains 170 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)