|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reaction does the predominance of the perceived "shadow" cause in the narrator as she reads the man's novel in Chapter 6?
2. In what month was Mary Carmichael's book published?
3. How many sitting rooms did a middle-class 19th century family have?
4. The writing of the Duchess compares the lives of women to those of what animals?
5. The narrator claims that a book is built of "_________ built...into arcades or domes."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the major differences between Oxbridge and Fernham as they relate to the larger theme of the inequality of the sexes during the time period examined by the narrator. What other examples of disparate treatment does the narrator provide? How is inequality evident throughout the time periods readers are exposed to in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose or main thesis of A Room of One's Own? What evidence does Woolf provide to support her thesis?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the evolution of women as the narrator takes the reader through it. Include a discussion of women as characters as well as writers.
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)