|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Woolf list as examples of excuses women will use not to write?
2. What, according to the narrator, were the relationships between those who have sought the company of women NOT?
3. In terms of fiction, what things did society deem more important than women's feelings?
4. Dorothy Osborne claims that she would not resort to fiction even if she couldn't ________.
5. In the case of Charlotte Bronte, what does the narrator claim Bronte's gender interfered with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why women were more successful, initially, in writing novels than in writing poetry.
Essay Topic 2
Does money truly lead to freedom? How does this concept apply across both genders? How does having a fixed income inhibit or expand the narrator's ability to draw conclusions about women and fiction?
Essay Topic 3
Why is androgyny important in fiction, according to the narrator/Woolf? How does not being sex-conscious enhance fiction? What examples does Woolf provide of writers who wrote from both sides of the brain?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)