|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a metaphor for androgyny in writing, what does the narrator say poetry needs?
2. The narrator claims that a book is built of "_________ built...into arcades or domes."
3. What, according to the narrator, were the relationships between those who have sought the company of women NOT?
4. What is the name of one of the characters in the man's book that the narrator reads as a follow-up to her studies of books by women?
5. Who does the narrator describe as "whimsically despotic?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of structure, integrity, and experience in creating fiction. What were the differences in how women approached these things vs. men?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the shift in point of view that takes place at the end of the novel. Why is it important? How does Woolf address potential critics? What does she reveal as the motive for this lecture?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do readers react to literature? Discuss what the narrator shares about how we respond to style, what readers will accept from a story, etc.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)