|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator claims that the _________ with which men write is incomprehensible to women.
2. Woolf points out that most great male writers were not ______.
3. Who does the narrator give as an example of someone who wrote with both sides of his brain?
4. What things does Carmichael not possess enough of, according to the narrator?
5. What does the narrator use as a less offensive word for "vanities?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of A Room of One's Own. Compare it to other feminist works. Discuss the use of humor/sarcasm for levity. How is the tone dream-like in some places?
Essay Topic 2
Why is androgyny important in fiction, according to the narrator/Woolf? How does not being sex-conscious enhance fiction? What examples does Woolf provide of writers who wrote from both sides of the brain?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the difference between women in history and women in fiction that the narrator discovers. Why does such a difference exist? What reasons does the narrator provide or hint at?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)