|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the "genre" of Dorothy Osborne's writing?
2. To what does the narrator refer as a "complex force?"
3. What does the narrator use as a less offensive word for "vanities?"
4. What tone best describes the poetry of Lady Winchilsea?
5. What does the narrator find awkward about Carmichael's writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of A Room of One's Own. Compare it to other feminist works. Discuss the use of humor/sarcasm for levity. How is the tone dream-like in some places?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the theme of emotion vs. reason that is presented in the novel. What does the narrator make of the "facts" presented about women, and are they facts at all? How does the narrator conclude that anger fuels some writing about the relations between the sexes? What other applications does the theme have to gender relations?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do readers react to literature? Discuss what the narrator shares about how we respond to style, what readers will accept from a story, etc.
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)