|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states that when a book lacks suggestive power, it cannot penetrate _______.
2. In terms of fiction, what things did society deem more important than women's feelings?
3. Which gender does the narrator say is to blame for the current state of fiction?
4. The effect of masculinity upon poetry is different from its effect on the _____.
5. The narrator contends that education ought to bring out the ________ between the sexes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of women as the narrator takes the reader through it. Include a discussion of women as characters as well as writers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the use of literary allusions in A Room of One's Own. Who/what is mentioned? How do these people and works relate to the story? What does the prevalence of allusions indirectly say about the author's own intelligence?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the consistent references to rhythm and flow throughout the text. What imagery evokes a rhythmic flow in the narrator's story? What does Woolf explicitly say about rhythm and unity?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)