|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is lacking in Carmichael's writing, according to the narrator?
2. To what does Woolf compare Fascist poetry?
3. The narrator says that Dorothy Osborne had a talent for what?
4. What do Lady Winchilsea and Margaret of Newcastle have in common?
5. Who does the narrator describe as "whimsically despotic?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major obstacles do women writers face, according to the narrator? Provide and describe three examples from the text. At what time, and why, did these obstacles exist? Were they overcome? How? What obstacles still exist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characterization of Judith. How is she different from her brother? How are they similar? What does she represent to the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do readers react to literature? Discuss what the narrator shares about how we respond to style, what readers will accept from a story, etc.
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)