|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what will Carmichael "have her work cut out for her" as?
2. How many sitting rooms did a middle-class 19th century family have?
3. Who does the narrator describe as "whimsically despotic?"
4. About whom does the narrator say "she wrote as a woman, but as a woman who has forgotten that she is a woman?"
5. Who is the author of Jane Eyre?
Essay Topic 1
What major obstacles do women writers face, according to the narrator? Provide and describe three examples from the text. At what time, and why, did these obstacles exist? Were they overcome? How? What obstacles still exist?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the difference between women in history and women in fiction that the narrator discovers. Why does such a difference exist? What reasons does the narrator provide or hint at?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the consistent references to rhythm and flow throughout the text. What imagery evokes a rhythmic flow in the narrator's story? What does Woolf explicitly say about rhythm and unity?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)