|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the sight of a woman "creating in a different medium than his own" does to a man?
2. What reaction does the predominance of the perceived "shadow" cause in the narrator as she reads the man's novel in Chapter 6?
3. What tone best describes the poetry of Lady Winchilsea?
4. What was Behn's first name?
5. What was the "genre" of Dorothy Osborne's writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is A Room of One's Own a work of fiction, or merely an essay? Discuss the structure of the story and the elements of fiction within it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the major differences between Oxbridge and Fernham as they relate to the larger theme of the inequality of the sexes during the time period examined by the narrator. What other examples of disparate treatment does the narrator provide? How is inequality evident throughout the time periods readers are exposed to in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Does money truly lead to freedom? How does this concept apply across both genders? How does having a fixed income inhibit or expand the narrator's ability to draw conclusions about women and fiction?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)