|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator find awkward about Carmichael's writing?
2. What age does the narrator say has been the most sex-conscious?
3. What occupation are Chloe and Olivia engaged in?
4. The narrator contemplates the "unity of the ______" as she observes the rhythm of life on the streets below.
5. What trait, claims the narrator, has now become self-conscious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why women were more successful, initially, in writing novels than in writing poetry.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different ways that the narrator reveals women are objectified. For example, how are they simply mirrors for men? In what other ways are women presented as inactive objects?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the shift in point of view that takes place at the end of the novel. Why is it important? How does Woolf address potential critics? What does she reveal as the motive for this lecture?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)