|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Lady Winchilsea and Margaret of Newcastle have in common?
(a) They are married to the same man.
(b) They work at the same seamstress shop.
(c) They are both happy.
(d) They have no children.
2. How does the narrator address Carmichael?
(b) As if she were in the room with her.
(d) As if she were dead.
3. At the end of her research, whose books does the narrator come to?
(c) The living.
(d) Her own.
4. What reaction does the predominance of the perceived "shadow" cause in the narrator as she reads the man's novel in Chapter 6?
5. In what genre were women denied the most expression?
Short Answer Questions
1. In talking about Carmichael's novel, what does the narrator find herself slipping "unthinkably" into?
2. When reading the man's novel, what does the narrator feel overshadows it?
3. What, according to the narrator, is it fatal for anyone who writes to do?
4. What trait, claims the narrator, has now become self-conscious?
5. The narrator contemplates the "unity of the ______" as she observes the rhythm of life on the streets below.
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)