|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Jane Austen's great novel?
(a) Gone With the Wind.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) The Visitor.
(d) War and Peace.
2. According to the narrator, Lady Winchilsea's mind has not become _________.
3. About whom does the narrator say "she wrote as a woman, but as a woman who has forgotten that she is a woman?"
(b) Jane Austen.
(c) Mary Carmichael.
(d) Charlotte Bronte.
4. Who does the narrator describe as "whimsically despotic?"
(a) Her husband.
(b) Lady Dudley.
(c) Lord Dudley.
(d) Dorothy's father.
5. What is Carmichael's novel called?
(a) Women and Fiction.
(b) My Story.
(c) A Tale of Two Cities.
(d) Life's Adventure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reaction does the predominance of the perceived "shadow" cause in the narrator as she reads the man's novel in Chapter 6?
2. What name does the narrator give to the male author she reads after reading so many novels by women?
3. In what genre were women denied the most expression?
4. In Carmichael's novel, what do Chloe and Olivia share?
5. According to the narrator, what holds a novel together?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)