|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Behn start writing for money?
(a) Her husband died.
(b) She was discovered by an agency.
(c) She started a newspaper.
(d) Her husband lost his job.
2. The narrator says that "the majority of women are neither _______ nor courtesans."
3. According to the narrator, Elizabethan literature would have been very different if women had begun writing in what century?
4. Male writers often referred to women who wrote as "_________ with an itch for scribbling."
5. To what does the narrator refer as a "complex force?"
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states that when a book lacks suggestive power, it cannot penetrate _______.
2. What was the name of Jane Austen's great novel?
3. How many sitting rooms did a middle-class 19th century family have?
4. The narrator contends that education ought to bring out the ________ between the sexes.
5. At the end of her research, whose books does the narrator come to?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)