|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Woolf claims that talent cannot be weighed like _________.
(a) Sugar and butter.
(d) Curds and whey.
2. In what city does the narrator observe the comings and goings of people on the street from her window?
3. Which gender does the narrator say is to blame for the current state of fiction?
4. What does the narrator find awkward about Carmichael's writing?
(a) Her story.
(b) Her vocabulary.
(c) Her tone.
(d) Her style.
5. In terms of fiction, what things did society deem more important than women's feelings?
(a) Men's thoughts.
(b) Social causes.
(c) Battle scenes.
(d) Love scenes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Carmichael's novel, what do Chloe and Olivia share?
2. To what does the narrator refer as a "complex force?"
3. Compared to Jane Eyre, how long is Carmichael's book?
4. When reading the man's novel, what does the narrator feel overshadows it?
5. Woolf points out that most great male writers were not ______.
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)