|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the women's college visited by the narrator?
2. According to the narrator, "Women do not write books about ______."
3. What is the name of the stage manager who gets Shakespeare's fictional sister pregnant?
(a) Lars Ulster.
(b) Lord Byron.
(c) Hugh Smith.
(d) Nick Greene.
4. What writer does the narrator list as one whose self-consciousness the reader is aware of?
(d) All of the above.
5. Which museum does the narrator visit in Chapter 2?
(a) The Met.
(b) Modern Museum.
(c) British Museum.
(d) The Smithsonian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is upset that the narrator is walking on the grass at Oxbridge?
2. What color is "the light of emotion?"
3. To what city does Shakespeare's fictional sister set out after leaving home?
4. What is one thing the narrator compares the big city she is visiting to?
5. How much income does the narrator receive per year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Woolf encourage women to ignore when setting out to write?
2. What happens once Mary Beton/the narrator's narrative ends?
3. What does the narrator ask the reader to call her?
4. Even though they originally were drawn to poetry, why does the narrator say women wrote novels?
5. What does the phrase "Chloe liked Olivia" set the narrator on a discussion about?
6. What are Woolf's closing remarks about Judith?
7. What does the narrator find awkward about Mary Carmichael's novel?
8. Why is the narrator turned away from the library at Oxbridge?
9. How does Woolf preempt the excuses she anticipates hearing from women who are not writing?
10. Even though the narrator does not care for Carmichael's writing, what does the narrator say Carmichael has accomplished?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)