|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic does the narrator find is often assigned to fictional women?
2. What building is the narrator not allowed into at the men's college?
(a) The dormitory.
(b) The dining hall.
(c) The church.
(d) The library.
3. What topic has the narrator asked to lecture about?
(a) Women and men.
(b) Women and fiction.
(c) Women and poetry.
(d) Women and books.
4. What subject does the narrator's friend teach at the women's college?
5. Whose influence is all over the paper, and is "the power and the money and the influence," metaphorically?
(a) The angry professor.
(c) The narrator's own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What heading does the narrator place on the page of notes she is taking while researching "women and fiction?"
2. How much income does the narrator receive per year?
3. According to the narrator, how do we achieve self-confidence?
4. Who, in the centuries before this story, had ownership of a woman's earnings?
5. According to the narrator, how did Shakespeare get his start in the theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator observing at the beginning of Chapter 6 that sets her on a discussion of the flow and unity of the sexes?
2. What does the narrator say about measuring a woman's accomplishments?
3. What tone is pervasive throughout the poem by Lady Winchilsea that the narrator recites?
4. What is interesting about the way the narrator says that she addresses Mary Carmichael?
5. What is served for lunch at the men's college?
6. What kinds of things does Dorothy write about, in contrast to the Lady and Margaret?
7. Where, according to the narrator, did Jane Austen write?
8. Disappointed with what she has researched so far about women and fiction, what/who does the narrator decide might provide some answers for her upon returning to the British Museum?
9. Why is the beadle upset that Mary is walking on the grass of the men's college?
10. What does the narrator find awkward about Mary Carmichael's novel?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)