|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, in the centuries before this story, had ownership of a woman's earnings?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The church.
(d) Her father.
2. What does the narrator compare to the feeling of having had a good meal and good conversation?
(a) A lamp in the spine.
(b) A good night's rest.
(c) A happy child.
(d) A fine wine.
3. What female poet does the narrator recite to herself when leaving the luncheon, thinking that women must have hummed at parties before the war?
4. What does the narrator compare to a fish as she sits thinking by the river bank?
(a) A thought.
(b) Her husband.
(d) The school.
5. What was the cost of founding the women's college?
(a) Thirty-thousand pounds.
(b) Five hundred pounds.
(c) Two million dollars.
(d) Sixty thousand dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Woolf claims that "the truer the facts the better the _______________."
2. What is the name of the women's college visited by the narrator?
3. What, does the narrator claim, is "worse than being locked out?"
4. What poet does the narrator recite to herself when leaving the luncheon, thinking that men must have hummed at parties before the war?
5. What building is the narrator not allowed into at the men's college?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)