|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlemagne remove from Roland?
2. After Charlemagne's call, how many Saracens attack Turpin and Roland?
3. Charlemagne kills which important member of Baligant's army?
4. How does Charlemagne react to finding Roland?
5. Where is Charlemagne supposed to go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the tale, there is a great argument between Roland and his best friend and comrade, Oliver. Explain the conflict, what caused it, and how it was eventually resolved. Which side was correct?
Essay Topic 2
Charlemagne finally learns of Ganelon's crimes. How does Charlemagne find out? What is the Emperor's reaction toward Ganelon? How is Ganelon's fate finally decided? What is the final punishment for the traitor?
Essay Topic 3
Marsile, Baligant, Roland, and Charlemagne all have different methods of arranging their troops before battle. Compare the Saracens' methods against the French. Also compare Marsile's methods to Baligant's and Roland's methods to those employed by Charlemagne.
This section contains 168 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)