Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Charlemagne's people refer to themselves?
2. What event will be celebrated with Charlemagne?
3. Who encourages peace between Marsile and Ganelon?
4. What was the weather when Blancandrin arrived?
5. How long has Charlemagne been at war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlemagne puzzled at Alda's reaction to the deaths of Roland and Oliver? What is the cause of Alda's reaction?
2. What happened when two of Charlemagne's counts went to Marsile to try and take over Saragossa? Which two counts went on the mission?
3. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
4. What happens to Oliver and what is the result of the conflict? How does Roland react?
5. What is the final plan that will allow Marsile to defeat Charlemagne's men?
6. What was Oliver using to fight long after it was broken? Why did Oliver not use another implement?
7. What happens after Roland enters the grove of trees? How does Roland react?
8. How do Marsile's messengers intend to deceive Charlemagne? Why do they think the Emperor will fall for it?
9. What is the supposed reason that the city remains under the rule of another king?
10. Who is Baligant and why does he go to Saragossa? What are the consequences if Baligant refuses?
Essay Topic 1
During the tale, there is a great argument between Roland and his best friend and comrade, Oliver. Explain the conflict, what caused it, and how it was eventually resolved. Which side was correct?
Essay Topic 2
When Charlemagne informed Oliver's sister, Alda, that Oliver and Roland were dead, the girl had a violent reaction. What were Charlemagne's words to Alda and how did she react? How did Charlemagne attempt to make Alda feel better? Did it work? What was the outcome of the scene?
Essay Topic 3
Charlemagne finally learns of Ganelon's crimes. How does Charlemagne find out? What is the Emperor's reaction toward Ganelon? How is Ganelon's fate finally decided? What is the final punishment for the traitor?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)