|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Basan and Basilie die?
2. Roland asks Oliver's advice about what?
3. The soldiers equated the plague as:
4. Where do Charlemagne's people meet?
5. What type of pelt does Ganelon wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Roland's reaction to Blancandrin's tale and promises?
2. Why is Charlemagne puzzled at Alda's reaction to the deaths of Roland and Oliver? What is the cause of Alda's reaction?
3. What is Ganelon's position on Marsile's hostile efforts against Charlemagne? What is the term that describes Ganelon's actions?
4. About what does Roland ask Oliver's advice? Why do the men agree or disagree?
5. What actions best represent Baligant's troops' eagerness to forge ahead with the battle?
6. What does Charlemagne do to ensure that Bromimonde converts to Christianity? How does Bromimonde respond to the treatment?
7. What is the final message from the angel to Charlemagne? How does Charlemagne respond?
8. What happens to Oliver and what is the result of the conflict? How does Roland react?
9. What is Charlemagne's reaction when he hears Roland's second call? What does Charlemagne request of his men?
10. What does Roland do to anger Ganelon? What is Ganelon's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Charlemagne informed Oliver's sister, Alda, that Oliver and Roland were dead, the girl had a violent reaction. What were Charlemagne's words to Alda and how did she react? How did Charlemagne attempt to make Alda feel better? Did it work? What was the outcome of the scene?
Essay Topic 2
When Bromimonde went with Charlemagne, the former Queen struggled. What did Charlemagne say to ensure that he meant no harm? What fate befell Bromimonde in Aix? How did the Queen react? What changes occurred in Bromimonde after the fall of Saragossa?
Essay Topic 3
Before the war begins, Marsile summons fellow warrior and pagan Baligant to come to his aid. Baligant's trip is long, which affects Marsile's plan. Marsile also had to use coercion to get Baligant to come to Saragossa. What is the personal relationship between Marsile and Baligant? Where was Baligant's home? How did Baligant travel? What was used to coerce Baligant to go to Marsile's aid?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)