|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brought news to Charlemagne?
2. How many times does Roland sound the horn?
3. What is another name for Charlemagne?
4. In Charlemagne's dream, what item does Ganelon break?
5. What sign of peace will go with Marsile's people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Roland enters the grove of trees? How does Roland react?
2. How was Ganelon greeted when he approached Saragossa?
3. How does Charlemagne react to the news from Blancandrin?
4. What major events cause Marsile and many other Saracens to flee the battle even though they are winning against the French?
5. Baligant believes that Charlemagne has lost all his power. What causes Baligant to make that statement? How do the others respond to the comment?
6. What is Marsile's attitude toward Charlemagne? How will the King approach his rival?
7. About what does Roland ask Oliver's advice? Why do the men agree or disagree?
8. Which of Charlemagne's highest ranking officers is by his side when the king arrives at the battle? How do the men react to the carnage?
9. How do Marsile's messengers intend to deceive Charlemagne? Why do they think the Emperor will fall for it?
10. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Bromimonde went with Charlemagne, the former Queen struggled. What did Charlemagne say to ensure that he meant no harm? What fate befell Bromimonde in Aix? How did the Queen react? What changes occurred in Bromimonde after the fall of Saragossa?
Essay Topic 2
There are many references in the poem as to the invincibility of Charlemagne. Among those references is the recurring appearance of the angels, particularly Gabriel, the King's great faith, and the possession of the spear that lanced Christ's side. What other symbols exist to protect Charlemagne? Are there similar symbols/references on behalf of Marsile or Baligant? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
After Charlemagne defeated Baligant, the French troops rode to Saragossa to take control of the city. Explain the actions taken by Charlemagne's men and the purpose behind each. What was the point of trying to convert the pagans? How did Marsile escape being taken back to Aix? What became of Bromimonde?
This section contains 1,502 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)