|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brought news to Charlemagne?
2. What event will be celebrated with Charlemagne?
3. How does Roland repay Grandoine?
4. Who is Aelroth?
5. Which animal was not taken on the journey as a gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major events cause Marsile and many other Saracens to flee the battle even though they are winning against the French?
2. What does Charlemagne do to ensure that Bromimonde converts to Christianity? How does Bromimonde respond to the treatment?
3. Which of Charlemagne's men became enraged and what was Charlemagne's reaction? How was this reaction different than one referred to in an earlier stanza?
4. What is Charlemagne's reaction when the governors and nobles approach him with the idea that Ganelon should be spared? What happens next?
5. What is Ganelon's position on Marsile's hostile efforts against Charlemagne? What is the term that describes Ganelon's actions?
6. Who objects to the plan of sending more soldiers to attack Charlemagne? Why is the objection raised? What is Marsile's response?
7. How do Marsile's messengers intend to deceive Charlemagne? Why do they think the Emperor will fall for it?
8. How many divisions are there? Where are they placed? What is the purpose of different locations?
9. What does Roland do to anger Ganelon? What is Ganelon's response?
10. What is Roland's reaction to Blancandrin's tale and promises?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the tale, there is a great argument between Roland and his best friend and comrade, Oliver. Explain the conflict, what caused it, and how it was eventually resolved. Which side was correct?
Essay Topic 2
Ganelon aided Marsile in devising a devious plot against Charlemagne and Roland. What were the details of Ganelon's plan? How was the plan kept from Charlemagne and Roland? Who was wise to the plan? How was Charlemagne eventually informed? Did Marsile and Ganelon both stick to the plan?
Essay Topic 3
When Charlemagne informed Oliver's sister, Alda, that Oliver and Roland were dead, the girl had a violent reaction. What were Charlemagne's words to Alda and how did she react? How did Charlemagne attempt to make Alda feel better? Did it work? What was the outcome of the scene?
This section contains 1,566 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)