Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Charlemagne's people refer to themselves?
2. What event will be celebrated with Charlemagne?
3. Who encourages peace between Marsile and Ganelon?
4. What was the weather when Blancandrin arrived?
5. How long has Charlemagne been at war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlemagne puzzled at Alda's reaction to the deaths of Roland and Oliver? What is the cause of Alda's reaction?
2. What happened when two of Charlemagne's counts went to Marsile to try and take over Saragossa? Which two counts went on the mission?
3. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
4. What happens to Oliver and what is the result of the conflict? How does Roland react?
5. What is the final plan that will allow Marsile to defeat Charlemagne's men?
6. What was Oliver using to fight long after it was broken? Why did Oliver not use another implement?
7. What happens after Roland enters the grove of trees? How does Roland react?
8. How do Marsile's messengers intend to deceive Charlemagne? Why do they think the Emperor will fall for it?
9. What is the supposed reason that the city remains under the rule of another king?
10. Who is Baligant and why does he go to Saragossa? What are the consequences if Baligant refuses?
Essay Topic 1
As with many ancient tales, some of the numbers used in the story are obviously inaccurate. For example, Charlemagne is said to be at least 200 years old. Roland is able to slay 4,000 Saracens although he is mortally wounded. What is the purpose and explanation of these numbers? Do the numbers represent anything in particular? How might one uncover the true numbers in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Ganelon professes hatred for Roland in the beginning of the tale and immediately plots Roland's death. Outline Ganelon's plan for Roland's execution and how it might be accomplished. Does Ganelon succeed? If so, how did the actual events compare to the original plan? What is the outcome regarding Ganelon?
Essay Topic 3
Part way through the story, Archbishop Turpin was faced with one of Marsile's people. The man was known as Siglorel, an enchanter. What is an enchanter? What was Turpin's reaction to Siglorel? Was the reaction justified? What was Siglorel's reputation? How did Siglorel help or hinder Marsile?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)