|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Charlemagne's people refer to themselves?
2. Marsile is concerned about his lack of what item?
3. How many French generals are killed by Grandoine?
4. What is the name of Marsile's brother?
5. What did Charlemagne do after hearing about Marsile's willingness to convert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Roland's reaction to Blancandrin's tale and promises?
2. How was Ganelon greeted when he approached Saragossa?
3. Where does Charlemagne find Roland? What is unusual about Roland's body?
4. What does Roland do to anger Ganelon? What is Ganelon's response?
5. What does Ganelon tell Blancandrin about Roland? What is the solution to the problem?
6. Roland's opinion of Turpin changes during the battle. What has Roland discovered?
7. Charlemagne must decide what to do as night is beginning to fall. What is Charlemagne's plan and the result?
8. If the king chooses to worship another religion, what are his beliefs? To whom does the king turn?
9. What happens to Oliver and what is the result of the conflict? How does Roland react?
10. What happens when Charlemagne hears the call? How does the Emperor respond to his nephew's call for help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The battle between Marsile and Charlemagne is actual and metaphoric. Examine the conflict between the kingdoms, their politics and their difference in religious beliefs. How do the latter affect the way the soldiers fight? How did the preparations (or lack thereof) affect the outcome of the battles?
Essay Topic 2
Ganelon aided Marsile in devising a devious plot against Charlemagne and Roland. What were the details of Ganelon's plan? How was the plan kept from Charlemagne and Roland? Who was wise to the plan? How was Charlemagne eventually informed? Did Marsile and Ganelon both stick to the plan?
Essay Topic 3
Charlemagne finally learns of Ganelon's crimes. How does Charlemagne find out? What is the Emperor's reaction toward Ganelon? How is Ganelon's fate finally decided? What is the final punishment for the traitor?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)