|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following will NOT be offered to Charlemagne?
2. What sign of peace will go with Marsile's people?
3. What gift does Marsile present to his nephew?
4. At the end of the first battle, how many Saracens are left alive?
5. Turpin reminds the troops to keep what item?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Roland ask Oliver's advice? Why do the men agree or disagree?
2. Charlemagne must decide what to do as night is beginning to fall. What is Charlemagne's plan and the result?
3. What actions best represent Baligant's troops' eagerness to forge ahead with the battle?
4. What does Charlemagne do to ensure that Bromimonde converts to Christianity? How does Bromimonde respond to the treatment?
5. How do Marsile's messengers intend to deceive Charlemagne? Why do they think the Emperor will fall for it?
6. What is Marsile's attitude toward Charlemagne? How will the King approach his rival?
7. What is Ganelon's argument against the condemnation for Roland's death? Does anyone believe the tale and support Ganelon's cause?
8. Charlemagne chooses two new generals to be at his side in battle. Who do the generals replace and what do they symbolize?
9. What causes Marsile and Ganelon to argue? What is the result of the argument?
10. What is the final message from the angel to Charlemagne? How does Charlemagne respond?
Essay Topic 1
After Charlemagne defeated Baligant, the French troops rode to Saragossa to take control of the city. Explain the actions taken by Charlemagne's men and the purpose behind each. What was the point of trying to convert the pagans? How did Marsile escape being taken back to Aix? What became of Bromimonde?
Essay Topic 2
There are many references in the poem as to the invincibility of Charlemagne. Among those references is the recurring appearance of the angels, particularly Gabriel, the King's great faith, and the possession of the spear that lanced Christ's side. What other symbols exist to protect Charlemagne? Are there similar symbols/references on behalf of Marsile or Baligant? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Part way through the story, Archbishop Turpin was faced with one of Marsile's people. The man was known as Siglorel, an enchanter. What is an enchanter? What was Turpin's reaction to Siglorel? Was the reaction justified? What was Siglorel's reputation? How did Siglorel help or hinder Marsile?
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)