|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Charlemagne's people refer to themselves?
2. What event will be celebrated with Charlemagne?
3. Who encourages peace between Marsile and Ganelon?
4. What was the weather when Blancandrin arrived?
5. How long has Charlemagne been at war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlemagne puzzled at Alda's reaction to the deaths of Roland and Oliver? What is the cause of Alda's reaction?
2. What happened when two of Charlemagne's counts went to Marsile to try and take over Saragossa? Which two counts went on the mission?
3. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
4. What happens to Oliver and what is the result of the conflict? How does Roland react?
5. What is the final plan that will allow Marsile to defeat Charlemagne's men?
6. What was Oliver using to fight long after it was broken? Why did Oliver not use another implement?
7. What happens after Roland enters the grove of trees? How does Roland react?
8. How do Marsile's messengers intend to deceive Charlemagne? Why do they think the Emperor will fall for it?
9. What is the supposed reason that the city remains under the rule of another king?
10. Who is Baligant and why does he go to Saragossa? What are the consequences if Baligant refuses?
Essay Topic 1
In several parts of the poem, references are made to the swords belonging to various warriors, including Charlemagne, Roland, Oliver, Turpin, and Marsile. What is the significance of the sword in context with the story? Why did the soldiers give names to their swords? Why did Roland try to destroy his sword just before he died?
Essay Topic 2
Marsile, Baligant, Roland, and Charlemagne all have different methods of arranging their troops before battle. Compare the Saracens' methods against the French. Also compare Marsile's methods to Baligant's and Roland's methods to those employed by Charlemagne.
Essay Topic 3
When Bromimonde went with Charlemagne, the former Queen struggled. What did Charlemagne say to ensure that he meant no harm? What fate befell Bromimonde in Aix? How did the Queen react? What changes occurred in Bromimonde after the fall of Saragossa?
This section contains 1,535 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)