Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the pagans call Ganelon?
2. What is a Saracen?
3. Who is sent ahead to act as lookout for Roland?
4. What is the period of history called in which the story takes place?
5. What event will be celebrated with Charlemagne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ganelon's argument against the condemnation for Roland's death? Does anyone believe the tale and support Ganelon's cause?
2. What is Bromimonde's reaction to being taken to France? How does Charlemagne treat Bromimonde?
3. What does Marsile's nephew claim that he needs in order to defeat Roland? What will the result be?
4. Who is Baligant and why does he go to Saragossa? What are the consequences if Baligant refuses?
5. What is foretold at the end of Stanza XII? Who is supposedly responsible for the upcoming event?
6. How does Baligant make a comeback against Charlemagne's army? What was Charlemagne's reaction?
7. What does Charlemagne do to ensure that Bromimonde converts to Christianity? How does Bromimonde respond to the treatment?
8. If the king chooses to worship another religion, what are his beliefs? To whom does the king turn?
9. What major events cause Marsile and many other Saracens to flee the battle even though they are winning against the French?
10. According to part one, what is Roland's role in the Song of Roland?
There is a discussion shortly before Baligant goes to war about the strength of Charlemagne's troops. There are two sides to the debate. State both opinions, who held them, and which side turned out to be correct. Were the opinions formed on fact or supposition? How was one side proven wrong?
When Bromimonde went with Charlemagne, the former Queen struggled. What did Charlemagne say to ensure that he meant no harm? What fate befell Bromimonde in Aix? How did the Queen react? What changes occurred in Bromimonde after the fall of Saragossa?
After Charlemagne defeated Baligant, the French troops rode to Saragossa to take control of the city. Explain the actions taken by Charlemagne's men and the purpose behind each. What was the point of trying to convert the pagans? How did Marsile escape being taken back to Aix? What became of Bromimonde?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)