|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event will be celebrated with Charlemagne?
2. Ganelon proposes that Marsile send what to Charlemagne?
3. This stanza predicts:
4. Who is Aelroth?
5. Oliver tells Roland that he has been...
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Roland's reaction to Blancandrin's tale and promises?
2. How does Baligant make a comeback against Charlemagne's army? What was Charlemagne's reaction?
3. Who was Siglorel and why was he important to Archbishop Turpin?
4. What happened when two of Charlemagne's counts went to Marsile to try and take over Saragossa? Which two counts went on the mission?
5. Which city remains the property of another King? Which King is it?
6. What is foretold at the end of Stanza XII? Who is supposedly responsible for the upcoming event?
7. The French are greatly outnumbered after Marsile arrives. Although the French are sure to die, what causes them to push on?
8. What was Oliver using to fight long after it was broken? Why did Oliver not use another implement?
9. What is Charlemagne's reaction when he hears Roland's second call? What does Charlemagne request of his men?
10. Roland attempts to break his sword just before he dies. Why? How does Roland attempt to break it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The battle between Marsile and Charlemagne is actual and metaphoric. Examine the conflict between the kingdoms, their politics and their difference in religious beliefs. How do the latter affect the way the soldiers fight? How did the preparations (or lack thereof) affect the outcome of the battles?
Essay Topic 2
There are many references in the poem as to the invincibility of Charlemagne. Among those references is the recurring appearance of the angels, particularly Gabriel, the King's great faith, and the possession of the spear that lanced Christ's side. What other symbols exist to protect Charlemagne? Are there similar symbols/references on behalf of Marsile or Baligant? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Part way through the story, Archbishop Turpin was faced with one of Marsile's people. The man was known as Siglorel, an enchanter. What is an enchanter? What was Turpin's reaction to Siglorel? Was the reaction justified? What was Siglorel's reputation? How did Siglorel help or hinder Marsile?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)