|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who warns Charlemagne that Marsile is not to be trusted?
2. Which animal was not taken on the journey as a gift?
3. What gift did Roland give to Charlemagne?
4. What is Ganelon's plan once he reaches Saragossa?
5. Roland asks Oliver's advice about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Charlemagne find Roland? What is unusual about Roland's body?
2. Charlemagne chooses two new generals to be at his side in battle. Who do the generals replace and what do they symbolize?
3. Charlemagne must decide what to do as night is beginning to fall. What is Charlemagne's plan and the result?
4. Which city remains the property of another King? Which King is it?
5. What is Marsile's attitude toward Charlemagne? How will the King approach his rival?
6. What was Oliver using to fight long after it was broken? Why did Oliver not use another implement?
7. Which of Charlemagne's men became enraged and what was Charlemagne's reaction? How was this reaction different than one referred to in an earlier stanza?
8. How does Baligant make a comeback against Charlemagne's army? What was Charlemagne's reaction?
9. What is Charlemagne's reaction when he hears Roland's second call? What does Charlemagne request of his men?
10. What does Marsile want Charlemagne to do? What is Marsile's promise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several parts of the poem, references are made to the swords belonging to various warriors, including Charlemagne, Roland, Oliver, Turpin, and Marsile. What is the significance of the sword in context with the story? Why did the soldiers give names to their swords? Why did Roland try to destroy his sword just before he died?
Essay Topic 2
Ganelon professes hatred for Roland in the beginning of the tale and immediately plots Roland's death. Outline Ganelon's plan for Roland's execution and how it might be accomplished. Does Ganelon succeed? If so, how did the actual events compare to the original plan? What is the outcome regarding Ganelon?
Essay Topic 3
Before the war begins, Marsile summons fellow warrior and pagan Baligant to come to his aid. Baligant's trip is long, which affects Marsile's plan. Marsile also had to use coercion to get Baligant to come to Saragossa. What is the personal relationship between Marsile and Baligant? Where was Baligant's home? How did Baligant travel? What was used to coerce Baligant to go to Marsile's aid?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)