|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlemagne do on the morning of Ganelon's return?
2. What is a "fald-stool?"
3. The poem states that Charlemagne cannot save himself from:
4. Ganelon says that Charlemagne would rather die than leave his...
5. According to Ganelon, Marsile begs Charlemagne to save who?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many divisions are there? Where are they placed? What is the purpose of different locations?
2. What is Charlemagne's reaction to Ganelon as the plan continues? What does Charlemagne's comment imply?
3. How does Charlemagne react to the news from Blancandrin?
4. Which of Charlemagne's men became enraged and what was Charlemagne's reaction? How was this reaction different than one referred to in an earlier stanza?
5. What is Roland's reaction to Blancandrin's tale and promises?
6. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
7. What is the final message from the angel to Charlemagne? How does Charlemagne respond?
8. Why is Charlemagne puzzled at Alda's reaction to the deaths of Roland and Oliver? What is the cause of Alda's reaction?
9. Where does Charlemagne find Roland? What is unusual about Roland's body?
10. What actions best represent Baligant's troops' eagerness to forge ahead with the battle?
Essay Topic 1
Part way through the story, Archbishop Turpin was faced with one of Marsile's people. The man was known as Siglorel, an enchanter. What is an enchanter? What was Turpin's reaction to Siglorel? Was the reaction justified? What was Siglorel's reputation? How did Siglorel help or hinder Marsile?
Essay Topic 2
There are many references in the poem as to the invincibility of Charlemagne. Among those references is the recurring appearance of the angels, particularly Gabriel, the King's great faith, and the possession of the spear that lanced Christ's side. What other symbols exist to protect Charlemagne? Are there similar symbols/references on behalf of Marsile or Baligant? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In order to decide if Ganelon should be executed, there is a battle between Thierry and Pinabel. The battle is also a metaphor for good versus evil, much like the battle fought between Roland and Marsile and Charlemagne and Baligant. Compare and contrast the three battles and their outcomes.
This section contains 1,534 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)