|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following will NOT be offered to Charlemagne?
2. What did Charlemagne do after hearing about Marsile's willingness to convert?
3. Oliver says he would rather die than face what?
4. What gift does Marsile present to his nephew?
5. Who is sent ahead to act as lookout for Roland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
2. What is the final message from the angel to Charlemagne? How does Charlemagne respond?
3. Baligant believes that Charlemagne has lost all his power. What causes Baligant to make that statement? How do the others respond to the comment?
4. What happens when Charlemagne hears the call? How does the Emperor respond to his nephew's call for help?
5. What is the relationship between Roland and Ganelon? Between Ganelon and Charlemagne? Between Roland and Charlemagne?
6. Who objects to the plan of sending more soldiers to attack Charlemagne? Why is the objection raised? What is Marsile's response?
7. Marsile nearly makes a fatal mistake when devising the first plan. What is the initial plan and what was the mistake?
8. Which of Charlemagne's highest ranking officers is by his side when the king arrives at the battle? How do the men react to the carnage?
9. How was Ganelon greeted when he approached Saragossa?
10. Which of Charlemagne's men became enraged and what was Charlemagne's reaction? How was this reaction different than one referred to in an earlier stanza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In order to decide if Ganelon should be executed, there is a battle between Thierry and Pinabel. The battle is also a metaphor for good versus evil, much like the battle fought between Roland and Marsile and Charlemagne and Baligant. Compare and contrast the three battles and their outcomes.
Essay Topic 2
In several parts of the poem, references are made to the swords belonging to various warriors, including Charlemagne, Roland, Oliver, Turpin, and Marsile. What is the significance of the sword in context with the story? Why did the soldiers give names to their swords? Why did Roland try to destroy his sword just before he died?
Essay Topic 3
Part way through the story, Archbishop Turpin was faced with one of Marsile's people. The man was known as Siglorel, an enchanter. What is an enchanter? What was Turpin's reaction to Siglorel? Was the reaction justified? What was Siglorel's reputation? How did Siglorel help or hinder Marsile?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)