|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roland repay Grandoine?
2. Roland asks Oliver's advice about what?
3. Out of what material is the fald-stool made?
4. This stanza predicts:
5. The poem states that Charlemagne holds no man in...
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlemagne puzzled at Alda's reaction to the deaths of Roland and Oliver? What is the cause of Alda's reaction?
2. What is the final message from the angel to Charlemagne? How does Charlemagne respond?
3. What happens when Charlemagne hears the call? How does the Emperor respond to his nephew's call for help?
4. What happens after Roland enters the grove of trees? How does Roland react?
5. What is Roland's reaction to Blancandrin's tale and promises?
6. Why is it important to note that Roland and Archbishop Turpin are the last two remaining French soldiers?
7. Oliver goes ahead to act as look out. What does Oliver see and how does it affect the French soldiers' plans?
8. Marsile nearly makes a fatal mistake when devising the first plan. What is the initial plan and what was the mistake?
9. What does Charlemagne do to ensure that Bromimonde converts to Christianity? How does Bromimonde respond to the treatment?
10. What is the supposed reason that the city remains under the rule of another king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ganelon aided Marsile in devising a devious plot against Charlemagne and Roland. What were the details of Ganelon's plan? How was the plan kept from Charlemagne and Roland? Who was wise to the plan? How was Charlemagne eventually informed? Did Marsile and Ganelon both stick to the plan?
Essay Topic 2
Ganelon professes hatred for Roland in the beginning of the tale and immediately plots Roland's death. Outline Ganelon's plan for Roland's execution and how it might be accomplished. Does Ganelon succeed? If so, how did the actual events compare to the original plan? What is the outcome regarding Ganelon?
Essay Topic 3
The battle between Marsile and Charlemagne is actual and metaphoric. Examine the conflict between the kingdoms, their politics and their difference in religious beliefs. How do the latter affect the way the soldiers fight? How did the preparations (or lack thereof) affect the outcome of the battles?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)