|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Out of what material is Ganelon's cloak made?
2. Who tries to make peace between Roland and Oliver?
3. What religion is Charlemagne?
4. Who does Ganelon refer to as a "courteous paladin?"
5. Blancandrin is described as:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Roland's reaction to Blancandrin's tale and promises?
2. How do Marsile's messengers intend to deceive Charlemagne? Why do they think the Emperor will fall for it?
3. According to part one, what is Roland's role in the Song of Roland?
4. What is Bromimonde's reaction to being taken to France? How does Charlemagne treat Bromimonde?
5. What causes Marsile and Ganelon to argue? What is the result of the argument?
6. Charlemagne chooses two new generals to be at his side in battle. Who do the generals replace and what do they symbolize?
7. What major events cause Marsile and many other Saracens to flee the battle even though they are winning against the French?
8. What is Ganelon's position on Marsile's hostile efforts against Charlemagne? What is the term that describes Ganelon's actions?
9. Why does Marsile ask his counselors for help? Who comes up with a plan?
10. Roland's opinion of Turpin changes during the battle. What has Roland discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlemagne arrives at Spanish Pass to find all of his soldiers dead. Charlemagne begins to go after the fleeing Saracens but is stopped by an act of nature. What is the act? How is the situation remedied? The act of nature is a metaphor for what moral? Does the solution help or hurt Charlemagne's battle?
Essay Topic 2
The battle between Marsile and Charlemagne is actual and metaphoric. Examine the conflict between the kingdoms, their politics and their difference in religious beliefs. How do the latter affect the way the soldiers fight? How did the preparations (or lack thereof) affect the outcome of the battles?
Essay Topic 3
There is a discussion shortly before Baligant goes to war about the strength of Charlemagne's troops. There are two sides to the debate. State both opinions, who held them, and which side turned out to be correct. Were the opinions formed on fact or supposition? How was one side proven wrong?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)