|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Roland asks Oliver's advice about what?
2. What will Marsile be offered if he converts to Christianity?
3. What gift does Marsile give to Ganelon?
4. How many hostages will be presented?
5. Which of these characteristics regarding Charlemagne is not among those listed by Ganelon?
Short Essay Questions
1. If the king chooses to worship another religion, what are his beliefs? To whom does the king turn?
2. What is the purpose of Archbishop Turpin's presence? What does Turpin do while at the camp?
3. What causes Marsile and Ganelon to argue? What is the result of the argument?
4. Why is it important to note that Roland and Archbishop Turpin are the last two remaining French soldiers?
5. Which of Charlemagne's men became enraged and what was Charlemagne's reaction? How was this reaction different than one referred to in an earlier stanza?
6. What is the supposed reason that the city remains under the rule of another king?
7. What happens after Roland enters the grove of trees? How does Roland react?
8. Oliver goes ahead to act as look out. What does Oliver see and how does it affect the French soldiers' plans?
9. What is foretold at the end of Stanza XII? Who is supposedly responsible for the upcoming event?
10. Where does Charlemagne find Roland? What is unusual about Roland's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, Charlemagne and Marsile represent the age old battle of good vs. evil. What liberties does the author take with details to prove that God is on Charlemagne's side? How does Marsile rely upon his religion like Charlemagne relies upon Christianity? Compare and contrast the behavior of each side and how they prepare for war.
Essay Topic 2
Part way through the story, Archbishop Turpin was faced with one of Marsile's people. The man was known as Siglorel, an enchanter. What is an enchanter? What was Turpin's reaction to Siglorel? Was the reaction justified? What was Siglorel's reputation? How did Siglorel help or hinder Marsile?
Essay Topic 3
Before the war begins, Marsile summons fellow warrior and pagan Baligant to come to his aid. Baligant's trip is long, which affects Marsile's plan. Marsile also had to use coercion to get Baligant to come to Saragossa. What is the personal relationship between Marsile and Baligant? Where was Baligant's home? How did Baligant travel? What was used to coerce Baligant to go to Marsile's aid?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)