|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Roland's title?
2. Where did the messengers sleep?
3. What is Roland's position?
4. What gift did Roland give to Charlemagne?
5. Where does Charlemagne leave Roland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Roland enters the grove of trees? How does Roland react?
2. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
3. Roland attempts to break his sword just before he dies. Why? How does Roland attempt to break it?
4. What is the relationship between Roland and Ganelon? Between Ganelon and Charlemagne? Between Roland and Charlemagne?
5. Which of Charlemagne's men became enraged and what was Charlemagne's reaction? How was this reaction different than one referred to in an earlier stanza?
6. What is Ganelon's argument against the condemnation for Roland's death? Does anyone believe the tale and support Ganelon's cause?
7. What does Ganelon tell Blancandrin about Roland? What is the solution to the problem?
8. What is the supposed reason that the city remains under the rule of another king?
9. What does Ganelon propose to Marsile on behalf of Charlemagne?
10. What causes Marsile and Ganelon to argue? What is the result of the argument?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlemagne arrives at Spanish Pass to find all of his soldiers dead. Charlemagne begins to go after the fleeing Saracens but is stopped by an act of nature. What is the act? How is the situation remedied? The act of nature is a metaphor for what moral? Does the solution help or hurt Charlemagne's battle?
Essay Topic 2
During the tale, there is a great argument between Roland and his best friend and comrade, Oliver. Explain the conflict, what caused it, and how it was eventually resolved. Which side was correct?
Essay Topic 3
Before the war begins, Marsile summons fellow warrior and pagan Baligant to come to his aid. Baligant's trip is long, which affects Marsile's plan. Marsile also had to use coercion to get Baligant to come to Saragossa. What is the personal relationship between Marsile and Baligant? Where was Baligant's home? How did Baligant travel? What was used to coerce Baligant to go to Marsile's aid?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)