|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sent ahead to act as lookout for Roland?
2. Marsile is concerned about his lack of what item?
3. How does the poem refer to Blancandrin?
4. What does Charlemagne do on the morning of Ganelon's return?
5. Roland kills how many Saracens with his spear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when two of Charlemagne's counts went to Marsile to try and take over Saragossa? Which two counts went on the mission?
2. Charlemagne must decide what to do as night is beginning to fall. What is Charlemagne's plan and the result?
3. What does Ganelon tell Blancandrin about Roland? What is the solution to the problem?
4. Where does Charlemagne find Roland? What is unusual about Roland's body?
5. What does Ganelon tell Blancandrin of Charlemagne's plans?
6. How do Marsile's messengers intend to deceive Charlemagne? Why do they think the Emperor will fall for it?
7. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
8. How does Baligant make a comeback against Charlemagne's army? What was Charlemagne's reaction?
9. What is the final message from the angel to Charlemagne? How does Charlemagne respond?
10. How many divisions are there? Where are they placed? What is the purpose of different locations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlemagne arrives at Spanish Pass to find all of his soldiers dead. Charlemagne begins to go after the fleeing Saracens but is stopped by an act of nature. What is the act? How is the situation remedied? The act of nature is a metaphor for what moral? Does the solution help or hurt Charlemagne's battle?
Essay Topic 2
As with many ancient tales, some of the numbers used in the story are obviously inaccurate. For example, Charlemagne is said to be at least 200 years old. Roland is able to slay 4,000 Saracens although he is mortally wounded. What is the purpose and explanation of these numbers? Do the numbers represent anything in particular? How might one uncover the true numbers in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Charlemagne finally learns of Ganelon's crimes. How does Charlemagne find out? What is the Emperor's reaction toward Ganelon? How is Ganelon's fate finally decided? What is the final punishment for the traitor?
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)