|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pagans arrived carrying olive branches?
2. Which of the following will NOT be offered to Charlemagne?
3. What is Roland's title?
4. Marsile's nephew asks for how many barons?
5. How does Charlemagne refer to Ganelon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Baligant believes that Charlemagne has lost all his power. What causes Baligant to make that statement? How do the others respond to the comment?
2. What is Marsile's attitude toward Charlemagne? How will the King approach his rival?
3. Roland's opinion of Turpin changes during the battle. What has Roland discovered?
4. What is the supposed reason that the city remains under the rule of another king?
5. What actions best represent Baligant's troops' eagerness to forge ahead with the battle?
6. Who was Siglorel and why was he important to Archbishop Turpin?
7. What happened when two of Charlemagne's counts went to Marsile to try and take over Saragossa? Which two counts went on the mission?
8. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
9. About what does Roland ask Oliver's advice? Why do the men agree or disagree?
10. Oliver goes ahead to act as look out. What does Oliver see and how does it affect the French soldiers' plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The battle between Marsile and Charlemagne is actual and metaphoric. Examine the conflict between the kingdoms, their politics and their difference in religious beliefs. How do the latter affect the way the soldiers fight? How did the preparations (or lack thereof) affect the outcome of the battles?
Essay Topic 2
There are many references in the poem as to the invincibility of Charlemagne. Among those references is the recurring appearance of the angels, particularly Gabriel, the King's great faith, and the possession of the spear that lanced Christ's side. What other symbols exist to protect Charlemagne? Are there similar symbols/references on behalf of Marsile or Baligant? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Charlemagne arrives at Spanish Pass to find all of his soldiers dead. Charlemagne begins to go after the fleeing Saracens but is stopped by an act of nature. What is the act? How is the situation remedied? The act of nature is a metaphor for what moral? Does the solution help or hurt Charlemagne's battle?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)