Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Charlemagne's people refer to themselves?
2. What event will be celebrated with Charlemagne?
3. Who encourages peace between Marsile and Ganelon?
4. What was the weather when Blancandrin arrived?
5. How long has Charlemagne been at war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlemagne puzzled at Alda's reaction to the deaths of Roland and Oliver? What is the cause of Alda's reaction?
2. What happened when two of Charlemagne's counts went to Marsile to try and take over Saragossa? Which two counts went on the mission?
3. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
4. What happens to Oliver and what is the result of the conflict? How does Roland react?
5. What is the final plan that will allow Marsile to defeat Charlemagne's men?
6. What was Oliver using to fight long after it was broken? Why did Oliver not use another implement?
7. What happens after Roland enters the grove of trees? How does Roland react?
8. How do Marsile's messengers intend to deceive Charlemagne? Why do they think the Emperor will fall for it?
9. What is the supposed reason that the city remains under the rule of another king?
10. Who is Baligant and why does he go to Saragossa? What are the consequences if Baligant refuses?
Essay Topic 1
Ganelon aided Marsile in devising a devious plot against Charlemagne and Roland. What were the details of Ganelon's plan? How was the plan kept from Charlemagne and Roland? Who was wise to the plan? How was Charlemagne eventually informed? Did Marsile and Ganelon both stick to the plan?
Essay Topic 2
During the tale, there is a great argument between Roland and his best friend and comrade, Oliver. Explain the conflict, what caused it, and how it was eventually resolved. Which side was correct?
Essay Topic 3
Before the war begins, Marsile summons fellow warrior and pagan Baligant to come to his aid. Baligant's trip is long, which affects Marsile's plan. Marsile also had to use coercion to get Baligant to come to Saragossa. What is the personal relationship between Marsile and Baligant? Where was Baligant's home? How did Baligant travel? What was used to coerce Baligant to go to Marsile's aid?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)