|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which animal was not taken on the journey as a gift?
2. The Song of Roland is referred to as what type of poem?
3. How does the poem refer to Blancandrin?
4. Out of what material is Ganelon's cloak made?
5. Marsile's nephew asks for how many barons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Charlemagne's reaction when the governors and nobles approach him with the idea that Ganelon should be spared? What happens next?
2. What is Ganelon's position on Marsile's hostile efforts against Charlemagne? What is the term that describes Ganelon's actions?
3. What is the final message from the angel to Charlemagne? How does Charlemagne respond?
4. What does Marsile's nephew claim that he needs in order to defeat Roland? What will the result be?
5. What does Ganelon tell Blancandrin about Roland? What is the solution to the problem?
6. Where does Charlemagne find Roland? What is unusual about Roland's body?
7. What happens to Oliver and what is the result of the conflict? How does Roland react?
8. Roland's opinion of Turpin changes during the battle. What has Roland discovered?
9. What is the purpose of Archbishop Turpin's presence? What does Turpin do while at the camp?
10. What does Ganelon propose to Marsile on behalf of Charlemagne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several parts of the poem, references are made to the swords belonging to various warriors, including Charlemagne, Roland, Oliver, Turpin, and Marsile. What is the significance of the sword in context with the story? Why did the soldiers give names to their swords? Why did Roland try to destroy his sword just before he died?
Essay Topic 2
Before the war begins, Marsile summons fellow warrior and pagan Baligant to come to his aid. Baligant's trip is long, which affects Marsile's plan. Marsile also had to use coercion to get Baligant to come to Saragossa. What is the personal relationship between Marsile and Baligant? Where was Baligant's home? How did Baligant travel? What was used to coerce Baligant to go to Marsile's aid?
Essay Topic 3
Archbishop Turpin takes on an entirely different role at Spanish Pass. What is the Archbishop's primary duty in the royal court and how does it change on the battlefield? What other role does the Archbishop assume? How does Roland react to the change in the clergyman?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)