|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ganelon recommends that Marsile send "five score thousand" pagans to defeat the troops left behind. How many is "five score thousand?"
2. What country is the poem written about?
3. What is the name of the nephew to Richard the Old?
4. Which animal was not taken on the journey as a gift?
5. How does Roland repay Grandoine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Roland enters the grove of trees? How does Roland react?
2. What does Ganelon tell Blancandrin of Charlemagne's plans?
3. Baligant believes that Charlemagne has lost all his power. What causes Baligant to make that statement? How do the others respond to the comment?
4. Where does Charlemagne find Roland? What is unusual about Roland's body?
5. How does Baligant make a comeback against Charlemagne's army? What was Charlemagne's reaction?
6. What is the final plan that will allow Marsile to defeat Charlemagne's men?
7. Which of Charlemagne's highest ranking officers is by his side when the king arrives at the battle? How do the men react to the carnage?
8. What does Marsile want Charlemagne to do? What is Marsile's promise?
9. What is the purpose of Archbishop Turpin's presence? What does Turpin do while at the camp?
10. Who is Baligant and why does he go to Saragossa? What are the consequences if Baligant refuses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlemagne arrives at Spanish Pass to find all of his soldiers dead. Charlemagne begins to go after the fleeing Saracens but is stopped by an act of nature. What is the act? How is the situation remedied? The act of nature is a metaphor for what moral? Does the solution help or hurt Charlemagne's battle?
Essay Topic 2
The battle between Marsile and Charlemagne is actual and metaphoric. Examine the conflict between the kingdoms, their politics and their difference in religious beliefs. How do the latter affect the way the soldiers fight? How did the preparations (or lack thereof) affect the outcome of the battles?
Essay Topic 3
When Bromimonde went with Charlemagne, the former Queen struggled. What did Charlemagne say to ensure that he meant no harm? What fate befell Bromimonde in Aix? How did the Queen react? What changes occurred in Bromimonde after the fall of Saragossa?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)