|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for Charlemagne?
2. What is the name of Marsile's brother?
3. To whom does Charlemagne turn to for counsel?
4. What type of pelt does Ganelon wear?
5. Where did the messengers sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlemagne do to ensure that Bromimonde converts to Christianity? How does Bromimonde respond to the treatment?
2. Which of Charlemagne's highest ranking officers is by his side when the king arrives at the battle? How do the men react to the carnage?
3. What is the final plan that will allow Marsile to defeat Charlemagne's men?
4. Why is it important to note that Roland and Archbishop Turpin are the last two remaining French soldiers?
5. How many divisions are there? Where are they placed? What is the purpose of different locations?
6. Roland attempts to break his sword just before he dies. Why? How does Roland attempt to break it?
7. What major events cause Marsile and many other Saracens to flee the battle even though they are winning against the French?
8. What happened when two of Charlemagne's counts went to Marsile to try and take over Saragossa? Which two counts went on the mission?
9. What is the final message from the angel to Charlemagne? How does Charlemagne respond?
10. According to part one, what is Roland's role in the Song of Roland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, Charlemagne and Marsile represent the age old battle of good vs. evil. What liberties does the author take with details to prove that God is on Charlemagne's side? How does Marsile rely upon his religion like Charlemagne relies upon Christianity? Compare and contrast the behavior of each side and how they prepare for war.
Essay Topic 2
Ganelon professes hatred for Roland in the beginning of the tale and immediately plots Roland's death. Outline Ganelon's plan for Roland's execution and how it might be accomplished. Does Ganelon succeed? If so, how did the actual events compare to the original plan? What is the outcome regarding Ganelon?
Essay Topic 3
Charlemagne arrives at Spanish Pass to find all of his soldiers dead. Charlemagne begins to go after the fleeing Saracens but is stopped by an act of nature. What is the act? How is the situation remedied? The act of nature is a metaphor for what moral? Does the solution help or hurt Charlemagne's battle?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)