|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem does not address which of the following:
2. What city did Marsile's soldier Valdabron take by treason?
3. How does Charlemagne know that Ganelon has betrayed him?
4. Out of what material is Ganelon's cloak made?
5. What is Ganelon's plan once he reaches Saragossa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Charlemagne find Roland? What is unusual about Roland's body?
2. According to part one, what is Roland's role in the Song of Roland?
3. What is Charlemagne's reaction when the governors and nobles approach him with the idea that Ganelon should be spared? What happens next?
4. How do Marsile's messengers intend to deceive Charlemagne? Why do they think the Emperor will fall for it?
5. What is Charlemagne's reaction to Ganelon as the plan continues? What does Charlemagne's comment imply?
6. What happened when two of Charlemagne's counts went to Marsile to try and take over Saragossa? Which two counts went on the mission?
7. What is Ganelon's argument against the condemnation for Roland's death? Does anyone believe the tale and support Ganelon's cause?
8. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
9. What major events cause Marsile and many other Saracens to flee the battle even though they are winning against the French?
10. What is the relationship between Roland and Ganelon? Between Ganelon and Charlemagne? Between Roland and Charlemagne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several parts of the poem, references are made to the swords belonging to various warriors, including Charlemagne, Roland, Oliver, Turpin, and Marsile. What is the significance of the sword in context with the story? Why did the soldiers give names to their swords? Why did Roland try to destroy his sword just before he died?
Essay Topic 2
The trio of Charlemagne, Roland and Oliver is a metaphor for the Holy Trinity. When Charlemagne leaves Roland and Oliver alone with the troops, who assumes the third position? Was the choice obvious? How is it that Charlemagne's people are or are not protected in the Emperor's absence?
Essay Topic 3
Charlemagne arrives at Spanish Pass to find all of his soldiers dead. Charlemagne begins to go after the fleeing Saracens but is stopped by an act of nature. What is the act? How is the situation remedied? The act of nature is a metaphor for what moral? Does the solution help or hurt Charlemagne's battle?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)