|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Song of Roland is referred to as what type of poem?
2. What gift does Marsile present to his nephew?
3. What is Roland's position?
4. The poem does not address which of the following:
5. Where do Charlemagne's people meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to part one, what is Roland's role in the Song of Roland?
2. What is the relationship between Roland and Ganelon? Between Ganelon and Charlemagne? Between Roland and Charlemagne?
3. What tale did Ganelon invent to let Charlemagne know that Marsile had surrendered?
4. What does Charlemagne do to ensure that Bromimonde converts to Christianity? How does Bromimonde respond to the treatment?
5. What happens after Roland enters the grove of trees? How does Roland react?
6. How was Ganelon greeted when he approached Saragossa?
7. What is Charlemagne's reaction when he hears Roland's second call? What does Charlemagne request of his men?
8. What does Ganelon propose to Marsile on behalf of Charlemagne?
9. What happens when the French arrive in Saragossa? What happens to Bromimonde?
10. How does Charlemagne react to the news from Blancandrin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Before the war begins, Marsile summons fellow warrior and pagan Baligant to come to his aid. Baligant's trip is long, which affects Marsile's plan. Marsile also had to use coercion to get Baligant to come to Saragossa. What is the personal relationship between Marsile and Baligant? Where was Baligant's home? How did Baligant travel? What was used to coerce Baligant to go to Marsile's aid?
Essay Topic 2
Ganelon aided Marsile in devising a devious plot against Charlemagne and Roland. What were the details of Ganelon's plan? How was the plan kept from Charlemagne and Roland? Who was wise to the plan? How was Charlemagne eventually informed? Did Marsile and Ganelon both stick to the plan?
Essay Topic 3
When Charlemagne informed Oliver's sister, Alda, that Oliver and Roland were dead, the girl had a violent reaction. What were Charlemagne's words to Alda and how did she react? How did Charlemagne attempt to make Alda feel better? Did it work? What was the outcome of the scene?
This section contains 1,468 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)