|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the weather when Blancandrin arrived?
2. This stanza predicts:
3. What city did Marsile's soldier Valdabron take by treason?
4. What is Ganelon's plan to achieve peace?
(a) Abandon his post
(b) Convince Charlemagne to become pagan
(c) Deceive both Marsile and Charlemagne
(d) Kill Roland
5. Marsile is concerned about his lack of what item?
Short Answer Questions
1. What plagues the soldiers on the field?
2. How does the poem refer to Blancandrin?
3. How long has Charlemagne been at war?
4. Who/what is Murgles?
5. What type of pelt does Ganelon wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlemagne do to ensure that Bromimonde converts to Christianity? How does Bromimonde respond to the treatment?
2. If the king chooses to worship another religion, what are his beliefs? To whom does the king turn?
3. Which city remains the property of another King? Which King is it?
4. What is foretold at the end of Stanza XII? Who is supposedly responsible for the upcoming event?
5. Roland attempts to break his sword just before he dies. Why? How does Roland attempt to break it?
6. What is Bromimonde's reaction to being taken to France? How does Charlemagne treat Bromimonde?
7. How do Marsile's messengers intend to deceive Charlemagne? Why do they think the Emperor will fall for it?
8. Baligant believes that Charlemagne has lost all his power. What causes Baligant to make that statement? How do the others respond to the comment?
9. Marsile nearly makes a fatal mistake when devising the first plan. What is the initial plan and what was the mistake?
10. What happens to Oliver and what is the result of the conflict? How does Roland react?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)