|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another name for Charlemagne?
2. Where do Charlemagne's people meet?
3. What city did Marsile's soldier Valdabron take by treason?
4. What is Roland's position?
5. According to Blancandrin, who is responsible for giving bad advice to Charlemagne?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks for permission to kill Roland?
2. With which country is Charlemagne at war?
3. Ganelon recommends that Marsile send "five score thousand" pagans to defeat the troops left behind. How many is "five score thousand?"
4. How long has Charlemagne been at war?
5. Who does Ganelon refer to as a "courteous paladin?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Which city remains the property of another King? Which King is it?
2. Roland attempts to break his sword just before he dies. Why? How does Roland attempt to break it?
3. What is Bromimonde's reaction to being taken to France? How does Charlemagne treat Bromimonde?
4. What is Marsile's attitude toward Charlemagne? How will the King approach his rival?
5. What happens when Charlemagne hears the call? How does the Emperor respond to his nephew's call for help?
6. Which of Charlemagne's men became enraged and what was Charlemagne's reaction? How was this reaction different than one referred to in an earlier stanza?
7. What happens after Roland enters the grove of trees? How does Roland react?
8. What is foretold at the end of Stanza XII? Who is supposedly responsible for the upcoming event?
9. What causes Marsile and Ganelon to argue? What is the result of the argument?
10. Charlemagne chooses two new generals to be at his side in battle. Who do the generals replace and what do they symbolize?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)