|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Baldwin?
(b) Roland's best friend
(d) Ganelon's son
2. The gift is worth more than what amount of money?
(a) 2,000 dollars
(b) 1,000 francs
(c) 300 Pesos
(d) 500 pounds
3. What sign of peace will go with Marsile's people?
(c) White flag
(d) Olive branch
4. Which animal was tethered with a leash?
5. What do the pagans call Ganelon?
(a) Noble Baron
(b) Rebellious rogue
(c) Foolish pawn
(d) Cunning soldier
Short Answer Questions
1. What item(s) does Ganelon give to Charlemagne?
2. Where does Charlemagne leave Roland?
3. According to Ganelon, Marsile begs Charlemagne to save who?
4. Who tries to make peace between Roland and Oliver?
5. Who encourages peace between Marsile and Ganelon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Marsile and Ganelon to argue? What is the result of the argument?
2. What is Charlemagne's reaction when he hears Roland's second call? What does Charlemagne request of his men?
3. What is Charlemagne's reaction when the governors and nobles approach him with the idea that Ganelon should be spared? What happens next?
4. What does Marsile want Charlemagne to do? What is Marsile's promise?
5. What is Ganelon's position on Marsile's hostile efforts against Charlemagne? What is the term that describes Ganelon's actions?
6. What happens to Oliver and what is the result of the conflict? How does Roland react?
7. What is the supposed reason that the city remains under the rule of another king?
8. What is Marsile's attitude toward Charlemagne? How will the King approach his rival?
9. What is Charlemagne's reaction to Ganelon as the plan continues? What does Charlemagne's comment imply?
10. Which of Charlemagne's men became enraged and what was Charlemagne's reaction? How was this reaction different than one referred to in an earlier stanza?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)