|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these things was NOT given to Ganelon by Charlemagne?
(d) Silver reins
2. What religion is Charlemagne?
3. Who is the first person to volunteer to go to Saragossa?
(a) Count Basan
(b) Archbishop Turpin
(c) Duke Neimes
4. The Song of Roland is referred to as what type of poem?
5. How do Charlemagne's people refer to themselves?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which animal was not taken on the journey as a gift?
2. What did Charlemagne do after hearing about Marsile's willingness to convert?
3. According to Ganelon, Marsile begs Charlemagne to save who?
4. Roland kills how many Saracens with his spear?
5. What color were the feathers on Marsile's dart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Charlemagne hears the call? How does the Emperor respond to his nephew's call for help?
2. How was Ganelon greeted when he approached Saragossa?
3. What does Ganelon tell Blancandrin about Roland? What is the solution to the problem?
4. How does Baligant make a comeback against Charlemagne's army? What was Charlemagne's reaction?
5. What is foretold at the end of Stanza XII? Who is supposedly responsible for the upcoming event?
6. What is the relationship between Roland and Ganelon? Between Ganelon and Charlemagne? Between Roland and Charlemagne?
7. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
8. Who objects to the plan of sending more soldiers to attack Charlemagne? Why is the objection raised? What is Marsile's response?
9. Roland attempts to break his sword just before he dies. Why? How does Roland attempt to break it?
10. What is the final message from the angel to Charlemagne? How does Charlemagne respond?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)