|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will Marsile be offered if he converts to Christianity?
(a) Life in a monastery
(b) A place in Charlemagne's royal court
(c) Half of Spain
(d) Reprieve from execution
2. The poem does not address which of the following:
3. Who is Aelroth?
(a) A pagan lookout
(b) Marsile's brother
(c) Oliver's brother
(d) Marsile's nephew
4. Which of these characteristics regarding Charlemagne is not among those listed by Ganelon?
5. Which of these things was NOT given to Ganelon by Charlemagne?
(b) Silver reins
Short Answer Questions
1. This stanza predicts:
2. Which one of the following is not a reason to summon Charlemagne?
3. How long has Charlemagne been at war?
4. Who is the ruler of the region?
5. Marsile's nephew asks for how many barons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major events cause Marsile and many other Saracens to flee the battle even though they are winning against the French?
2. What actions best represent Baligant's troops' eagerness to forge ahead with the battle?
3. According to part one, what is Roland's role in the Song of Roland?
4. Why does Marsile ask his counselors for help? Who comes up with a plan?
5. What is the purpose of Archbishop Turpin's presence? What does Turpin do while at the camp?
6. What is the final plan that will allow Marsile to defeat Charlemagne's men?
7. Charlemagne chooses two new generals to be at his side in battle. Who do the generals replace and what do they symbolize?
8. Roland's opinion of Turpin changes during the battle. What has Roland discovered?
9. What is Ganelon's argument against the condemnation for Roland's death? Does anyone believe the tale and support Ganelon's cause?
10. What happened when two of Charlemagne's counts went to Marsile to try and take over Saragossa? Which two counts went on the mission?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)