|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oliver tells Roland that he has been...
2. What did Charlemagne do after hearing about Marsile's willingness to convert?
(a) Bowed his head
(c) Sent Blancandrin away
(d) Called for the Archbishop
3. What country is the poem written about?
4. The Song of Roland is referred to as what type of poem?
5. Which animal was tethered with a leash?
Short Answer Questions
1. The soldiers equated the plague as:
2. Which of these characteristics regarding Charlemagne is not among those listed by Ganelon?
3. Who/what is Murgles?
4. Ganelon tells Charlemagne that Marsile's traitorous men met with what fate?
5. Where did the messengers sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. The French are greatly outnumbered after Marsile arrives. Although the French are sure to die, what causes them to push on?
2. About what does Roland ask Oliver's advice? Why do the men agree or disagree?
3. What does Marsile's nephew claim that he needs in order to defeat Roland? What will the result be?
4. What is Charlemagne's reaction when he hears Roland's second call? What does Charlemagne request of his men?
5. Which of Charlemagne's men became enraged and what was Charlemagne's reaction? How was this reaction different than one referred to in an earlier stanza?
6. What causes Marsile and Ganelon to argue? What is the result of the argument?
7. What is the final message from the angel to Charlemagne? How does Charlemagne respond?
8. Roland attempts to break his sword just before he dies. Why? How does Roland attempt to break it?
9. What tale did Ganelon invent to let Charlemagne know that Marsile had surrendered?
10. What was Oliver using to fight long after it was broken? Why did Oliver not use another implement?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)