|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ganelon, Marsile begs Charlemagne to save who?
(a) His uncle
(c) His first born son
(d) His wife
2. Which of these things was NOT given to Ganelon by Charlemagne?
(b) Silver reins
3. How does Marsile expect the interaction to end?
(a) With another call to war
(b) With the surrender of Saragossa
(c) The death of Charlemagne
(d) With the beheading of the hostages
4. What plagues the soldiers on the field?
(c) Unbearable heat
5. How does Charlemagne know that Ganelon has betrayed him?
(a) Ganelon confessed
(b) The seer told Charlemagne
(c) He has a dream
(d) Roland overhead a conversation
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Marsile be offered if he converts to Christianity?
2. How many times does Roland sound the horn?
3. What do the pagans call Ganelon?
4. Who does Ganelon refer to as a "courteous paladin?"
5. How does Charlemagne refer to Ganelon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Roland and Ganelon? Between Ganelon and Charlemagne? Between Roland and Charlemagne?
2. According to part one, what is Roland's role in the Song of Roland?
3. What is foretold at the end of Stanza XII? Who is supposedly responsible for the upcoming event?
4. Oliver goes ahead to act as look out. What does Oliver see and how does it affect the French soldiers' plans?
5. What tale did Ganelon invent to let Charlemagne know that Marsile had surrendered?
6. Roland attempts to break his sword just before he dies. Why? How does Roland attempt to break it?
7. What is Ganelon's position on Marsile's hostile efforts against Charlemagne? What is the term that describes Ganelon's actions?
8. What is Roland's reaction to Blancandrin's tale and promises?
9. What is the purpose of some of the bodies being prepared for burial? What is the significance of the ornate coffin?
10. What is Charlemagne's reaction to Ganelon as the plan continues? What does Charlemagne's comment imply?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)