|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of what material is the fald-stool made?
2. Marsile's nephew asks for how many barons?
3. Which animal was not taken on the journey as a gift?
4. How many pagans arrived carrying olive branches?
5. How does Charlemagne know that Ganelon has betrayed him?
(a) Ganelon confessed
(b) Roland overhead a conversation
(c) The seer told Charlemagne
(d) He has a dream
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the period of history called in which the story takes place?
2. What was the weather when Blancandrin arrived?
3. What does Charlemagne do on the morning of Ganelon's return?
4. The poem does not address which of the following:
5. Out of what material is Ganelon's cloak made?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marsile want Charlemagne to do? What is Marsile's promise?
2. According to part one, what is Roland's role in the Song of Roland?
3. What is Charlemagne's reaction to Ganelon as the plan continues? What does Charlemagne's comment imply?
4. What is foretold at the end of Stanza XII? Who is supposedly responsible for the upcoming event?
5. How many divisions are there? Where are they placed? What is the purpose of different locations?
6. What is Charlemagne's reaction when he hears Roland's second call? What does Charlemagne request of his men?
7. What is Ganelon's position on Marsile's hostile efforts against Charlemagne? What is the term that describes Ganelon's actions?
8. Who is Baligant and why does he go to Saragossa? What are the consequences if Baligant refuses?
9. Charlemagne chooses two new generals to be at his side in battle. Who do the generals replace and what do they symbolize?
10. What is the purpose of Archbishop Turpin's presence? What does Turpin do while at the camp?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)