|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color were the feathers on Marsile's dart?
2. What is the name of Oliver's sword?
3. Where does Charlemagne leave Roland?
(a) Pass of Aspre
(b) Road to Saragossa
(c) Spanish Pass
4. What material did the people use to create Marsile's throne?
(b) Human bones
(c) Wood from a sacred tree
5. Marsile's nephew asks for how many barons?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person to volunteer to go to Saragossa?
2. The poem does not address which of the following:
3. How many times does Roland sound the horn?
4. What is the name of Ganelon's horse?
5. When Ganelon met Marsile, he was enveloped in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. If the king chooses to worship another religion, what are his beliefs? To whom does the king turn?
2. How does Charlemagne react to the news from Blancandrin?
3. Why is it important to note that Roland and Archbishop Turpin are the last two remaining French soldiers?
4. What happens after Roland enters the grove of trees? How does Roland react?
5. What causes Marsile and Ganelon to argue? What is the result of the argument?
6. What is Charlemagne's response to the end of the seven year's war with Spain?
7. Who objects to the plan of sending more soldiers to attack Charlemagne? Why is the objection raised? What is Marsile's response?
8. Which city remains the property of another King? Which King is it?
9. What is the purpose of some of the bodies being prepared for burial? What is the significance of the ornate coffin?
10. What is the purpose of Archbishop Turpin's presence? What does Turpin do while at the camp?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)