|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When some Egyptians want to leave the caravan ships traveling south, what does Queen Lostris do?
(a) Throws them overboard.
(b) Imprisons them in the ships' holds.
(c) Offers to put them ashore for the Hyksos to find and capture.
(d) Cuts their tongues out so they can no longer grumble.
2. What happens when the elephants are first injured?
(a) They soon lose their will to live.
(b) They huddle together to protect each other.
(c) They lose a lot of blood and become weak.
(d) They become furious and destructive.
3. After Lostris gives birth to a daughter, how soon must Taita have another dream to explain another pregnancy?
(a) Within the same year.
(b) Five years later.
(c) Two years later.
(d) One year later.
4. What happens to the reward that Pharaoh gives to Taita?
(a) Taita wastes it.
(b) Taita buys several pieces of land with it.
(c) Pharaoh takes it back within a week.
(d) It goes to Lostris instead.
5. After passing the first cataract, what animal do Taita and his charioteers hunt?
6. How are the Hyksos a backward people, according to Taita?
(a) Their women are treated like slaves.
(b) They serve savage gods.
(c) They cannot read or write.
(d) Their means of warfare are primitive.
7. Following the battle with the Hyksos, what did Tanus do that caused him great grief?
(a) Burned half his ships because he no longer had men to pilot them.
(b) Said goodbye to Lostris for the next three months.
(c) Burned the bodies of five thousand faithful soldiers who were killed.
(d) Said goodbye to the dying Pharaoh for the last time.
8. What is Memnon's reaction to the hunt?
(a) He becomes bloodthirsty.
(b) He is stone-faced and silent.
(c) He has tears in his eyes.
(d) He kneels in the plain and cries.
9. Why does Lostris establish a dozen hospitals and hotels for poor people in Thebes?
(a) Because she is bored and lonely.
(b) Because Tanus had been generous with the military veterans.
(c) Because it was her father's last wish.
(d) Because Taita encouraged her to do it.
10. Why is Taita filled with terror when he sees the dust cloud of the approaching enemy?
(a) He is afraid for the coming battle.
(b) He does not have time to warn Tanus before the enemy arrives.
(c) He does not understand what could cause the dust cloud.
(d) The picture matches his vision of destruction that would come to Egypt.
11. What proves that Lord Intef owned the chests of treasure hidden in his palace?
(a) The fact that they were hidden in his palace.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(c) The hidden passageway to his rooms.
(d) His ring seal on the locks.
12. What does Pharaoh give Lostris after she gives birth to a male heir?
(a) Precedence among all his wives and the title of Queen.
(b) A new palace along the edge of the Nile.
(c) A place for her coffin next to his in the tomb.
(d) Half of the treasure he had planned for his tomb.
13. How does Taita escape from Arkoun?
(a) He sneaks through the sewer passages of the castle.
(b) He bribes four guards to smuggle him out of the castle.
(c) He is swept away in the river when they are returning to the castle.
(d) He pretends to be the king's ambassador but does not return.
14. While Lostris is pregnant, what is the one thing she asks for that she does not get?
(a) A new palace in Thebes.
(b) A promotion for Tanus.
(c) Freedom for Taita.
(d) Snow from Syria.
15. What idea of Tanus's is shot down in the military council?
(a) Finding out more about the enemy from the east before engaging in battle.
(b) Leaving the women and children by the Nile and traveling east to meet the enemy.
(c) Traveling to the northern border to meet them head-on.
(d) Waiting for them in Thebes and gathering greater forces.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Arkoun's castle?
2. How does Pharaoh spend the treasure he recovered from Lord Intef?
3. How does Pharaoh react to the accusations of Lord Intef's guilt?
4. What does Memnon argue so that he can go hunting with Taita and the other charioteers?
5. As he lies dying, what are the last words that Pharaoh speaks?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)