|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once he is seated on the ark carrying his coffin, what unprecedented thing does Pharaoh do?
(a) Acknowledge the praise of the crowds.
(b) Spurn the praise of the crowds.
(c) Help Lostris into the seat beside him.
(d) Beckon Taita, the slave, into the seat beside him.
2. How are Taita's animals killed?
(a) With a jar of poisoned goat's milk.
(b) With a jar of poisoned honey.
(c) By starvation.
(d) With arrows.
3. What is the name of Taita's friend who gives him information and supplies prior to the battle with the Shrikes?
4. How does Taita conquer Shufti?
(a) Stabs him with his own sword.
(b) Bribes one of Shufti's men to capture him.
(c) Throws a spear at him.
(d) Throws a brick at his head.
5. How do the soldiers respond when Tanus orders them to put on the dresses of slave girls?
(a) They refuse until they know why.
(b) They treat the moment like a game.
(c) They laugh and protest.
(d) They refuse until Tanus threatens them.
6. In the pageant duel with Rasfer, why does Tanus not kill Rasfer?
(a) He is afraid of shocking Pharaoh.
(b) Rasfer has already surrendered.
(c) He is afraid of Lord Intef's subsequent anger.
(d) He thinks Rasfer is wounded to the point of death.
7. How does Pharaoh treat Lostris?
(a) He ignores her because she will not sleep with him.
(b) He favors her because of her charm and wit.
(c) He is condescending to her because she is much younger.
(d) He treats her like a senior wife.
8. Where do Tanus and Lostris first sleep together?
(a) In his tent by the battlefield.
(b) In the hunting cabin by the river.
(c) In Taita's bedroom one afternoon when he is gone.
(d) In an empty hillside tomb.
9. How much loyalty does Tanus inspire in his men?
(a) Most of Tanus's soldiers are loyal to him.
(b) Several men refuse promotions so they can remain in his regiment.
(c) Only Kratas and Remrem respect him.
(d) About half of Tanus's regiment respects him.
10. What change to the festival pageant does Taita protest?
(a) The fact that Lord Intef now gets credit for the pageant.
(b) The removal of his main speech.
(c) Pharaoh's place in the audience.
(d) The live execution of a thief.
11. Why does Nembet, the Great Lion of Egypt, become angry with Tanus?
(a) Tanus is revealed as next in line for the crown.
(b) Tanus is allowed to present the city's greeting to Pharaoh.
(c) Tanus has recently become popular with all of Thebes.
(d) Tanus saves Pharaoh's ship because Nembet cannot.
12. Who is bitterly saddened by what Taita displays over the harem wall?
(b) Taita himself.
(d) Lord Intef.
13. What happens when Taita approaches Lord Intef to explain Lostris's love for Tanus?
(a) He is whipped.
(b) Lord Intef threatens to kill Tanus.
(c) Lord Intef listens and approves.
(d) He is imprisoned.
14. When Taita returns to Lostris, why is she sick?
(a) The miscarriage of Pharaoh's child made her ill.
(b) She is sick with worry for Tanus.
(c) She has barely eaten anything.
(d) She has contracted malaria.
15. Who is Kratas?
(a) Tanus's chief lieutenant and Taita's close friend.
(b) The leader of the band of slave traders.
(c) A common soldier and Taita's close friend.
(d) The high priest of the goddess Hapi.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Thebes, where do Pharaoh and his court go?
2. How much time is Tanus given to restore order to the Upper Kingdom?
3. Near the end of the wedding feast, what does Taita discover about Pharaoh's personality?
4. Why does Shufti take so long to retaliate against Tanus and his band of men?
5. What surgery must Taita perform on Rasfer after the pageant?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)