|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, who is discussing the problems with code-breaking and computer chips?
2. What do Isobel Bonterre and Malin Hatch ride together on?
3. What is the place known as a mysterious spot on Ragged Island where there is a depression?
4. In what year was Red Ned Ockham's command ship found adrift?
5. What month and year does "Riptide" begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom is Neidelman speaking to at the beginning of Chapter 7, and why is he giving this speech?
2. Describe the new Quonset hut that is now open on Ragged Island.
3. What do the divers take down with them, why do they take it down with them, and what happens at the command center during the dive in Chapter 15?
4. What is the discussion about between St. John and Wopner during Chapter 18 in the command center?
5. What happens at the beginning of Chapter 9 when Malin visits his childhood home?
6. Why does Alfred Hatch Sr. tell his boys, Malin and Johnny, that they are forbidden to go to Ragged Island?
7. Who is Sir William Macallan? Why does Neidelman bring him up in his discussion with Malin about the project?
8. What happens when Malin and Johnny Hatch take a boat over to Ragged Island?
9. In Chapter 10, what is the purpose of the meeting aboard the Griffin?
10. Why is Wopner trashing one of his computers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Professor Horn and Malin Hatch throughout "Riptide"? Does the relationship progress? What strains the relationship? How are these characters different?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Malin Hatch's return visit to Ragged Island to the visit he took to the island as a child. What are the trips similarities and differences? Students should look at the reason for going, who Hatch went with, and the outcome of the trip.
Essay Topic 3
How would you explain Woody Clay's actions by forming a flotilla protest? What were the results of the flotilla protest started by Clay? Give examples from the book and reference as required.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)