|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Malin arrives back at Ragged Island, what is Malin forced to confront?
2. What is Malin Hatch examining while relaxing in Chapter 12?
3. While at dinner, what does Bonterre tell Hatch they found?
4. Because they can't pump the water out, what does Neidelman order the crew to do, just like the pirates?
5. What can the Hatch children see while playing from their family's backyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Malin and Johnny Hatch take a boat over to Ragged Island?
2. What is the discussion about between St. John and Wopner during Chapter 18 in the command center?
3. What do the divers take down with them, why do they take it down with them, and what happens at the command center during the dive in Chapter 15?
4. What happens at the beginning of Chapter 9 when Malin visits his childhood home?
5. When Kerry Wopner goes to the post office, who does Wopner run into and what do they discuss?
6. Detail what Hatch sees when he comes aboard the Cerberus with Neidelman in Chapter 11.
7. Who does Malin renew an acquaintance with while at Stormhaven? What do they discuss?
8. Why does Alfred Hatch Sr. tell his boys, Malin and Johnny, that they are forbidden to go to Ragged Island?
9. Who is Captain Gerald Neidelman and why does he want to see Malin Hatch?
10. Why does Malin return to Stormhaven at the beginning of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how 'Riptide" could be seen as a battle between good and evil, giving at least three examples of the fight between good and evil from the text. Examine how this struggle affects the characters in the book. Does good or evil win at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
When does Bonterre believe she can trust Rankin? How does Bonterre believe she can trust Rankin? Why is trust so important between Rankin and Bonterre?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Professor Horn and Malin Hatch throughout "Riptide"? Does the relationship progress? What strains the relationship? How are these characters different?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)