|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Riddley and Lissener find as they walk closer to the center?
2. What does Riddley learn that he and Goodparley share?
3. Riddley heads to the diggings for a third time. Who comes out of the woodlings as Riddley and the men head off to Widders Dump?
4. Where did Riddley sit for breakfast the morning after his connexion?
5. After Durster's mishap the previous day, what do Riddley and the work crew feel as they set off toward Widders Dump?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Riddley releases Lissener from the hole, they head toward Fork Stone. What happens when Lissener won't quit talking?
2. What do Orfing and Riddley do after Granser and Goodparley die?
3. What happens when Riddley walks ahead of the other men when they are jobbing for a second time?
4. What does Riddley do to Durster Potter and why?
5. Describe how Riddley feels when he gets to the Power Ring in Cambry.
6. Why does Riddley dump Belnot Phist in the mud the third day at the diggings?
7. Riddley returns to Widders Dump and finds Goodparley there. Why does Riddley give Goodparley the stones?
8. After Riddley leaves Goodparley in Widdows Dump, who does Riddley meet on the road?
9. After Riddley jumps the Widders Dump fence, where is he led and why?
10. After Riddley leaves Cambry, he heads back to Fork Stone. Describe what he finds there.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Up until Riddley goes to Fork Stoan with Lissener, Riddley has been against Goodparley's plan to bring back technology. In Chapter 13, when Riddley and Lissener see old machines nearly intact, the sight makes Riddley cry. Why do the machines cause Riddley to have such a strong reaction? What does Riddley understand about the word shynin when he sees the machines? Why does the sight of the machines help him understand what has been lost? How does his sudden understanding of Eusa, Eusa's head and the Littl Shyning Man make him want to get the shyning Power back? Why does he want to be like those who had boats in the air and picters on the wind? Why does he want to see the shyning weals turning? Why does he no longer want to be against Goodparley's plan?
Essay Topic 2
Write about the Eusa story. What is the Eusa story? What is it describing? Use examples from the novel where the story of Eusa is presented and explained. Why do you think there are men from the Mincery that go around telling the Eusa story? Why do you think there are connexion men to help explain the Eusa story? Do you think the story will change after all that has happened in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Eusa show to the Punch show. How are they different? How are they alike? Why are Orfing and Eusa doing a Punch show instead of a Eusa show? What does the change in shows indicate about the future of Riddley's world?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)