|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Durster's mishap the previous day, what do Riddley and the work crew feel as they set off toward Widders Dump?
2. As Riddley travels, he thinks of a story to write down later. What is the name of the story?
3. What story does Riddley write when he is in Cambry?
4. Who comes to lead Riddley when he runs away from the work site?
5. After Goodparley and Granser die, where does Riddley go?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Riddley's first connexion, what was it like for him at breakfast?
2. Goodparley has Riddley searched when he returns to Widders Dump. The little figure is found on Riddley. What does the little figure Riddley found mean to Goodparley?
3. What happens to Riddley when he jumps the fence after finding the little figure in the diggings?
4. After Riddley jumps the Widders Dump fence, where is he led and why?
5. What happens when Riddley walks ahead of the other men when they are jobbing for a second time?
6. What do Lissener and Riddley find near the sea?
7. After Riddley leaves Cambry, he heads back to Fork Stone. Describe what he finds there.
8. What does Riddley find in the diggings the third day he goes to them?
9. What do Orfing and Riddley do after Granser and Goodparley die?
10. What does Riddley learn about the Eusa folk as he and Lissener get to the outskirts of Fork Stone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the meaning of Riddley's name. What does he say about his name? What do others say about his name? Do both his first and his last name symbolize something? If so, what? Does his name have a double meaning? Why or why not? Does Riddley mention riddles in connection with his name? In Chapter 2, Riddley mentions riddles and the he is "walking them now on this paper"? Do you think Riddley's name is a riddle? Why or why not? What symbolism or ideas and emotions can be seen in his name?
Essay Topic 2
Riddley becomes friendly with the Bernt Arse pack. Explore this relationship and how it began. Why do you think the old leader sacrificed himself to Riddley? Why do the dogs begin hanging around whenever Riddley is near? Does Lissener play a role in getting the dog pack and Riddley together? Why do the dogs follow Riddley all across Inland? Why do they continue to follow him in his new role with Orfing?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Riddley says that "1ce the kids start singing at you thas a cern kinyd of track youre on nor there aint to much you can do about it." Compare what Nimbel Potter sings about Riddley at the beginning of Chapter 10 and what the kid sings about Riddley when Riddley leaves Weaping Form. Does Riddley want to be on the track referred to in Chapter 10? Does he want to be on the track referred to in the last chapter? How are the two songs alike? How are they different? Did the song in Chapter 10 hint at what was to come for Riddley? Does the song in the last chapter hint at what is to come?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)