|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the place that Riddley lives?
2. What happened when the object fell that the men were trying to get out of the hole intact?
3. What does Riddley think when he first sees the Eusa puppet during the Goodparley/Orfing show?
4. Where does Riddley get a scar?
5. How did the man and woman in Lorna's story get the 1st knowing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Goodparley/Orfing show, what does Mr. Clevver do?
2. What did Riddley's father used to say about looking for a reveal?
3. Why did Riddley climb the big iron thing after his father died?
4. After hearing the story "Why the Dog Wont Show Its Eyes," it appears that it was not Eusa who made the 1 Big 1. In the story, who made the 1 Big 1?
5. Describe the person that Chalker Marchman was talking to when Riddley and the crew get to the digging on their second work day.
6. What does Lorna tell Riddley after they freshen the Luck?
7. What was the second thing that happened after Brooder died?
8. What does Riddley do with the dog he kills?
9. During the wotcher, Goodparley tells Riddley that there's a time for everything and that the time for moving crowds is past. What is Goodparley referring to?
10. What is the song that is sung at Brooder's cremation and what does it mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare The Legend of St. Eustace in Chapter 14, to the Eusa story. What does the stag mean in the St. Eustace Legend? What does it mean in the Eusa story? How is St. Eustace's family like and unlike Eusa's family? What events in St. Eustace's life are similar to Eusa's? How is the end of the St. Eustace story like and unlike the end of the Eusa story? How does Goodparley compare the two stories?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the twoness or oneness that is referred to in the novel. Lissener and Riddley travel together for awhile, but have to separate. What are some of the separations that occur throughout the novel? Consider the separation of the Littl Shynin Man and include separations that occur through death. What is the significance of the one that becomes two or how the one will always find the two? Write how these different separations affect the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there are references to Aunty. What does Aunty represent? What are different ways that characters in the novel meet Aunty? Are there any ways to successfully avoid Aunty? Are there examples of people who avoided Aunty? If so, what happened to them? Why do you think the term Aunty is used by the author?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)