|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Riddley share with those who come to his shelter in Chapter 7?
2. Who dies in the village the same day that the men are trying to remove the object from the hole?
3. Riddley tells a story from when he was 7 or 8. What happened to Littl Salting when Riddley was young?
4. Who is the albino at the digging?
5. How does Lorna describe the dog that Riddley killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened three days after Riddley's naming day?
2. After hearing the story "Why the Dog Wont Show Its Eyes," it appears that it was not Eusa who made the 1 Big 1. In the story, who made the 1 Big 1?
3. During the wotcher, Goodparley tells Riddley that he is looking for something. What is Goodparley looking for and why?
4. After Riddley releases Lissener from the hole, he and Lissener head toward Fork Stone. Describe the story that Riddley remembers.
5. How did people treat Riddley after his father's cremation?
6. In the Goodparley/Orfing show, what does Eusa do in the "time back."
7. Why do Lissener and Riddley decide to separate?
8. Why is Riddley upset when he is working to break up the big thing that killed his father?
9. What does Riddley find in the diggings the third day he goes to them?
10. Why are the children playing Black Pack at the beginning of Chapter 3?
Essay Topic 1
Write about the Eusa story. What is the Eusa story? What is it describing? Use examples from the novel where the story of Eusa is presented and explained. Why do you think there are men from the Mincery that go around telling the Eusa story? Why do you think there are connexion men to help explain the Eusa story? Do you think the story will change after all that has happened in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 15, Riddley sees a drawing of Goodparley with the words Hoap of a Tree. Then later when Riddley finds Goodparley hung by his arms, Riddley asks if this is the Hoap of the Tree. Orfing says that it is. What is the significance of referring to Goodparley as the Hoap of the Tree? What is the Hoap of the Tree? Why is Goodparley compared to the Hoap of a Tree?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, the reader first learns about the "Hart of the Wood." As Riddley first tells a story about the "Hart of the Wood," he mentions that the heart of the wood can mean three different things. Explain what each of these three things are using the description Riddley provides in Chapter 1. Also use other examples of the heart of the wood that are found throughout the novel. What does it mean in Chapter 15 when Riddley says that whenever he writes about the tree in the stone he will write "wud" and not "wood"?
This section contains 2,463 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)