|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people in the narrator's story do to get what they need?
2. How old is the narrator of the story?
3. Why couldn't the people in Lorna's story get any rest after they obtained the 2nd knowledge?
4. Why does Riddley go outside after the Goodparley/ Orfing Eusa show?
5. What happened when the man and woman in Lorna's story looked into the eyes of a goat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Riddley's father used to say about looking for a reveal?
2. Goodparley and Orfing do a wotcher with Riddley. Describe the ritual.
3. At the beginning of the novel, why do you think Riddley Walker says, "Your turn now my turn later"?
4. Why does Orfing call Eusa back after Eusa says the show is done?
5. How did people treat Riddley after his father's cremation?
6. In the written Eusa story, describe what happens when Eusa finds the Littl Shynin Man the Addom.
7. After Riddley's father dies, what do Riddley and the other men hear coming from Widders Dump?
8. What happened three days after Riddley's naming day?
9. What was the second thing that happened after Brooder died?
10. After hearing the story "Why the Dog Wont Show Its Eyes," it appears that it was not Eusa who made the 1 Big 1. In the story, who made the 1 Big 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare The Legend of St. Eustace in Chapter 14, to the Eusa story. What does the stag mean in the St. Eustace Legend? What does it mean in the Eusa story? How is St. Eustace's family like and unlike Eusa's family? What events in St. Eustace's life are similar to Eusa's? How is the end of the St. Eustace story like and unlike the end of the Eusa story? How does Goodparley compare the two stories?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the meaning of Riddley's name. What does he say about his name? What do others say about his name? Do both his first and his last name symbolize something? If so, what? Does his name have a double meaning? Why or why not? Does Riddley mention riddles in connection with his name? In Chapter 2, Riddley mentions riddles and the he is "walking them now on this paper"? Do you think Riddley's name is a riddle? Why or why not? What symbolism or ideas and emotions can be seen in his name?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Eusa folk and their role in the story. Who are the Eusa folk? How many of them are there? Why have them been preserved? What do they look like? Where do they live while the new Ardship is growing up? What do they do every twelve years? Why are they, and especially the Ardship, questioned? What knowledge does the Mincery hope they have? What knowledge do they have?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)