|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day after he gets his scar, what does Riddley do?
2. What happened to Eusa's wife after he split the atom?
3. How does Lorna describe the dog that Riddley killed?
4. What did the leader of the group that was following the narrator look like?
5. On the day the men try to lift the object from the hole intact, what three things does Riddley try to connect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Riddley's first connexion.
2. What does Lorna tell Riddley after they freshen the Luck?
3. At the beginning of the novel, why do you think Riddley Walker says, "Your turn now my turn later"?
4. What are the rituals that are followed with Brooder Walker's body?
5. Describe what happens in the story, "Hart of the Wood" that Riddley tells.
6. Describe the person that Chalker Marchman was talking to when Riddley and the crew get to the digging on their second work day.
7. What was the second thing that happened after Brooder died?
8. What happens in the written Eusa story after Eusa runs the numbers through the Power Ring?
9. After Riddley's father dies, what do Riddley and the other men hear coming from Widders Dump?
10. Why does Riddley get a scar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Riddley often mentions the odors around him. Do these frequent references to the sense of smell make the scenes in the novel more realistic? Why or why not? List examples of times when Riddley mentions how something smells. How would you classify the scents in Riddley's world? What do the odors tell you about Riddley's world?
Essay Topic 2
Both Goodparley and Orfing's group are able to create gunpowder. Compare how the two groups are able to create the gunpowder. What is the significance that in both instances someone dies? How will the creation of gunpowder affect life in Inland? Will people continue to attempt to create gunpowder? Will creating the 1 Littl 1 be likely to lead to the creation of the 1 Big 1? Why or why not? Use examples from the novel that support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the twoness or oneness that is referred to in the novel. Lissener and Riddley travel together for awhile, but have to separate. What are some of the separations that occur throughout the novel? Consider the separation of the Littl Shynin Man and include separations that occur through death. What is the significance of the one that becomes two or how the one will always find the two? Write how these different separations affect the characters in the novel.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)