|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Riddley go outside after the Goodparley/ Orfing Eusa show?
2. After the fire, how does everyone look at Riddley?
3. What did Chalker Marchman want done with the big thing that killed Riddley's father?
4. After Goodparley and Orfing finish the show, what does Durster Potter say to Riddley?
5. When Lorna finishes her story, who does Riddley say he always thought was responsible for the 1 Big 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story "Why the Dog Wont Show Its Eyes" about?
2. Describe what happens in the story, "Hart of the Wood" that Riddley tells.
3. In the written Eusa story, what was life like when Mr. Clevver was Big Man of Inland?
4. At the time Riddley's father was killed, what did Riddley know about dogs killing people?
5. Describe the person that Chalker Marchman was talking to when Riddley and the crew get to the digging on their second work day.
6. Why did Riddley climb the big iron thing after his father died?
7. Why does Riddley get a scar?
8. What are the rituals that are followed with Brooder Walker's body?
9. What does Lorna tell Riddley after they freshen the Luck?
10. Why does Orfing call Eusa back after Eusa says the show is done?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare The Legend of St. Eustace in Chapter 14, to the Eusa story. What does the stag mean in the St. Eustace Legend? What does it mean in the Eusa story? How is St. Eustace's family like and unlike Eusa's family? What events in St. Eustace's life are similar to Eusa's? How is the end of the St. Eustace story like and unlike the end of the Eusa story? How does Goodparley compare the two stories?
Essay Topic 2
Explore how the knowledge of how to produce gunpowder was preserved by the coal burners and the dyers. Why does it take everyone so long to realize that the coal burners and dyers have the knowledge? How does finding the yeller stones bring all the knowledge together? Now that the the knowledge is out in the open, will more and more people learn how to make gunpowder?
Essay Topic 3
Both Goodparley and Orfing's group are able to create gunpowder. Compare how the two groups are able to create the gunpowder. What is the significance that in both instances someone dies? How will the creation of gunpowder affect life in Inland? Will people continue to attempt to create gunpowder? Will creating the 1 Littl 1 be likely to lead to the creation of the 1 Big 1? Why or why not? Use examples from the novel that support your position.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)