|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the albino at the digging?
2. When Eusa finds a stag, why won't it run from him in the written Eusa story?
3. What is Eusa's project in the Goodparley/Orfing show?
4. What happened when the people in Lorna's story put in the 1 Big 1?
5. How did the man and woman in Lorna's story get the 1st knowing?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, why do you think Riddley Walker says, "Your turn now my turn later"?
2. Goodparley and Orfing show up at Widders Dump to do a show. What does Riddley say about these men?
3. Describe Riddley's first connexion.
4. Why does Riddley get a scar?
5. Before Riddley does his first reveal, he tells about a Eusa show when he was 7 or 8. Describe the story in that Eusa show.
6. After the Goodparley/Orfing show, what do people do?
7. During the wotcher, Goodparley tells Riddley that he is looking for something. What is Goodparley looking for and why?
8. Goodparley and Orfing do a wotcher with Riddley. Describe the ritual.
9. What did Riddley's father used to say about looking for a reveal?
10. Why are the children playing Black Pack at the beginning of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 15, Riddley sees a drawing of Goodparley with the words Hoap of a Tree. Then later when Riddley finds Goodparley hung by his arms, Riddley asks if this is the Hoap of the Tree. Orfing says that it is. What is the significance of referring to Goodparley as the Hoap of the Tree? What is the Hoap of the Tree? Why is Goodparley compared to the Hoap of a Tree?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Eusa folk and their role in the story. Who are the Eusa folk? How many of them are there? Why have them been preserved? What do they look like? Where do they live while the new Ardship is growing up? What do they do every twelve years? Why are they, and especially the Ardship, questioned? What knowledge does the Mincery hope they have? What knowledge do they have?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there are references to Aunty. What does Aunty represent? What are different ways that characters in the novel meet Aunty? Are there any ways to successfully avoid Aunty? Are there examples of people who avoided Aunty? If so, what happened to them? Why do you think the term Aunty is used by the author?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)