|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lorna say that Brooder was connected to?
2. Where did the people of the village put the head of the dog that Riddley killed?
3. How did Riddley's mother die and how old was he when she died?
4. Who do the narrator and his companions pass as they walk by with their prize on the first day of the novel?
5. How old was Riddley's father when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, why do you think Riddley Walker says, "Your turn now my turn later"?
2. After Riddley's father dies, what do Riddley and the other men hear coming from Widders Dump?
3. In the written Eusa story, what was life like when Mr. Clevver was Big Man of Inland?
4. What is the story "Why the Dog Wont Show Its Eyes" about?
5. What does Lorna tell Riddley after they freshen the Luck?
6. Describe Riddley's first connexion.
7. Describe what happens in the story, "Hart of the Wood" that Riddley tells.
8. In the written Eusa story, describe what happens when Eusa finds the Littl Shynin Man the Addom.
9. After hearing the story "Why the Dog Wont Show Its Eyes," it appears that it was not Eusa who made the 1 Big 1. In the story, who made the 1 Big 1?
10. How did people treat Riddley after his father's cremation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Eusa folk and their role in the story. Who are the Eusa folk? How many of them are there? Why have them been preserved? What do they look like? Where do they live while the new Ardship is growing up? What do they do every twelve years? Why are they, and especially the Ardship, questioned? What knowledge does the Mincery hope they have? What knowledge do they have?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the meaning of Riddley's name. What does he say about his name? What do others say about his name? Do both his first and his last name symbolize something? If so, what? Does his name have a double meaning? Why or why not? Does Riddley mention riddles in connection with his name? In Chapter 2, Riddley mentions riddles and the he is "walking them now on this paper"? Do you think Riddley's name is a riddle? Why or why not? What symbolism or ideas and emotions can be seen in his name?
Essay Topic 3
Both Goodparley and Orfing's group are able to create gunpowder. Compare how the two groups are able to create the gunpowder. What is the significance that in both instances someone dies? How will the creation of gunpowder affect life in Inland? Will people continue to attempt to create gunpowder? Will creating the 1 Littl 1 be likely to lead to the creation of the 1 Big 1? Why or why not? Use examples from the novel that support your position.
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)