|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After splitting the atom, Eusa continues to see the Littl Man. How can Eusa get away from the Littl Man?
2. The night after Brooder dies, who says he has been looking for the Littl Shyning Man?
3. What happened three days after Riddley's naming day?
4. After he splits the atom, why doesn't Eusa know how many changes there are to come?
5. What does Riddley think after the Eusa show ends on the night he is scarred?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Orfing call Eusa back after Eusa says the show is done?
2. What is the story "Why the Dog Wont Show Its Eyes" about?
3. After Riddley leaves Goodparley in Widdows Dump, who does Riddley meet on the road?
4. Describe the person that Chalker Marchman was talking to when Riddley and the crew get to the digging on their second work day.
5. What does Riddley do with the dog he kills?
6. What happens to Riddley when he jumps the fence after finding the little figure in the diggings?
7. What does Lorna tell Riddley after they freshen the Luck?
8. What does Flinter RIghtway tell Orfing and Riddley when they arrive at Weaping Form to do the Punch show?
9. Why do Lissener and Riddley decide to separate?
10. What does Riddley do to Durster Potter and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, there are references to Aunty. What does Aunty represent? What are different ways that characters in the novel meet Aunty? Are there any ways to successfully avoid Aunty? Are there examples of people who avoided Aunty? If so, what happened to them? Why do you think the term Aunty is used by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Compare The Legend of St. Eustace in Chapter 14, to the Eusa story. What does the stag mean in the St. Eustace Legend? What does it mean in the Eusa story? How is St. Eustace's family like and unlike Eusa's family? What events in St. Eustace's life are similar to Eusa's? How is the end of the St. Eustace story like and unlike the end of the Eusa story? How does Goodparley compare the two stories?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, the reader first learns about the "Hart of the Wood." As Riddley first tells a story about the "Hart of the Wood," he mentions that the heart of the wood can mean three different things. Explain what each of these three things are using the description Riddley provides in Chapter 1. Also use other examples of the heart of the wood that are found throughout the novel. What does it mean in Chapter 15 when Riddley says that whenever he writes about the tree in the stone he will write "wud" and not "wood"?
This section contains 2,426 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)