|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator decide to write his story?
2. Where did the people of the village put the head of the dog that Riddley killed?
3. After Goodparley and Orfing finish the show, what does Durster Potter say to Riddley?
4. What are the children doing the night after the burning?
5. How did Riddley's mother die and how old was he when she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Goodparley/Orfing show, what does Eusa do in the "time back."
2. What does Lorna talk about in her tel at Brooder's cremation?
3. What does Lorna tell Riddley after they freshen the Luck?
4. Before Riddley does his first reveal, he tells about a Eusa show when he was 7 or 8. Describe the story in that Eusa show.
5. What is the song that is sung at Brooder's cremation and what does it mean?
6. How did people treat Riddley after his father's cremation?
7. What happens in the written Eusa story after Eusa runs the numbers through the Power Ring?
8. Why is Riddley upset when he is working to break up the big thing that killed his father?
9. During the wotcher, Goodparley tells Riddley that there's a time for everything and that the time for moving crowds is past. What is Goodparley referring to?
10. After hearing the story "Why the Dog Wont Show Its Eyes," it appears that it was not Eusa who made the 1 Big 1. In the story, who made the 1 Big 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, there are indications that society is changing from hunting and gathering, to farming. Compare the two ways of life. Then show examples from the novel of how society is changing from foraging to farming. Which characters want this change to farming? Which characters which would prefer to continue foraging? Will the change from foraging to farming make life better for society? Why or why not? Will the introduction of gunpowder accelerate the change to farming? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Eusa folk and their role in the story. Who are the Eusa folk? How many of them are there? Why have them been preserved? What do they look like? Where do they live while the new Ardship is growing up? What do they do every twelve years? Why are they, and especially the Ardship, questioned? What knowledge does the Mincery hope they have? What knowledge do they have?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there are references to Aunty. What does Aunty represent? What are different ways that characters in the novel meet Aunty? Are there any ways to successfully avoid Aunty? Are there examples of people who avoided Aunty? If so, what happened to them? Why do you think the term Aunty is used by the author?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)