|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the usual procedure for getting large objects out of holes?
2. Who yelled "Fall! Fall! Fall!" while the men were trying to pull the large object out of the hole intact?
3. Why does Riddley have to get a scar?
4. In the written Eusa story, who was the Big Man?
5. When Lorna finishes her story, who does Riddley say he always thought was responsible for the 1 Big 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Goodparley/Orfing show, what do people do?
2. Goodparley and Orfing do a wotcher with Riddley. Describe the ritual.
3. What does Riddley do with the dog he kills?
4. During the wotcher, Goodparley tells Riddley that he is looking for something. What is Goodparley looking for and why?
5. Before Riddley does his first reveal, he tells about a Eusa show when he was 7 or 8. Describe the story in that Eusa show.
6. Describe what happens in the story, "Hart of the Wood" that Riddley tells.
7. What did Riddley's father used to say about looking for a reveal?
8. Why does Orfing call Eusa back after Eusa says the show is done?
9. What happens in the written Eusa story after Eusa runs the numbers through the Power Ring?
10. At the beginning of the novel, why do you think Riddley Walker says, "Your turn now my turn later"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Riddley releases Lissener from the hole, Lissener relates the children's game Fools Circle 9wys to himself. What is Lissener's title? What does the children's game Fools Circel 9wys have to do with Lissener? Why would Goodparley or anyone else want to put Lissener's head on a pole?
Essay Topic 2
Both Goodparley and Orfing's group are able to create gunpowder. Compare how the two groups are able to create the gunpowder. What is the significance that in both instances someone dies? How will the creation of gunpowder affect life in Inland? Will people continue to attempt to create gunpowder? Will creating the 1 Littl 1 be likely to lead to the creation of the 1 Big 1? Why or why not? Use examples from the novel that support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Riddley becomes friendly with the Bernt Arse pack. Explore this relationship and how it began. Why do you think the old leader sacrificed himself to Riddley? Why do the dogs begin hanging around whenever Riddley is near? Does Lissener play a role in getting the dog pack and Riddley together? Why do the dogs follow Riddley all across Inland? Why do they continue to follow him in his new role with Orfing?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)