|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does the narrator tell in Chapter 1?
2. After the people in Lorna's story had the 1st knowing for a while what did they begin to wonder?
3. Why is the albino at the digging?
4. On the day the men try to lift the object from the hole intact, what three things does Riddley try to connect?
5. In the official Eusa story, who does Eusa take with him when searches for what Mr. Clevver wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Riddley does his first reveal, he tells about a Eusa show when he was 7 or 8. Describe the story in that Eusa show.
2. In the Goodparley/Orfing show, why won't Eusa come up at first?
3. Why are the children playing Black Pack at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. In the Goodparley/Orfing show, what does Eusa do in the "time back."
5. In the written Eusa story, Eusa sees the Littl Shynin Man after the 1 Big 1 is released. What does the Littl Man tell Eusa?
6. At the beginning of the novel, why do you think Riddley Walker says, "Your turn now my turn later"?
7. Goodparley and Orfing do a wotcher with Riddley. Describe the ritual.
8. How did people treat Riddley after his father's cremation?
9. What are the rituals that are followed with Brooder Walker's body?
10. In the Goodparley/Orfing show, what does Mr. Clevver do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Riddley goes through many changes in the novel. Explore each change. How does each change affect his life? How does each change affect his thinking? What changes will Riddley see in the future? Would you consider Riddley to be more mature at the end of the novel than he was at the beginning?
Essay Topic 2
Riddley becomes friendly with the Bernt Arse pack. Explore this relationship and how it began. Why do you think the old leader sacrificed himself to Riddley? Why do the dogs begin hanging around whenever Riddley is near? Does Lissener play a role in getting the dog pack and Riddley together? Why do the dogs follow Riddley all across Inland? Why do they continue to follow him in his new role with Orfing?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there are references to Aunty. What does Aunty represent? What are different ways that characters in the novel meet Aunty? Are there any ways to successfully avoid Aunty? Are there examples of people who avoided Aunty? If so, what happened to them? Why do you think the term Aunty is used by the author?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)