|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the three people in the narrator's story?
2. What is Riddley thinking while he is breaking up the big thing the day after his father's death?
3. After splitting the atom, Eusa continues to see the Littl Man. How can Eusa get away from the Littl Man?
4. Who comes for the wotcher, the night after the burning?
5. Who do the narrator and his companions pass as they walk by with their prize on the first day of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the written Eusa story, what was life like when Mr. Clevver was Big Man of Inland?
2. Before Riddley does his first reveal, he tells about a Eusa show when he was 7 or 8. Describe the story in that Eusa show.
3. In the Goodparley/Orfing show, what does Mr. Clevver do?
4. Describe what happens in the story, "Hart of the Wood" that Riddley tells.
5. In the Goodparley/Orfing show, what does Eusa do in the "time back."
6. In the Goodparley/Orfing show, why won't Eusa come up at first?
7. What happened three days after Riddley's naming day?
8. After the Goodparley/Orfing show, what do people do?
9. During the wotcher, Goodparley tells Riddley that he is looking for something. What is Goodparley looking for and why?
10. Why is Riddley upset when he is working to break up the big thing that killed his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, the reader first learns about the "Hart of the Wood." As Riddley first tells a story about the "Hart of the Wood," he mentions that the heart of the wood can mean three different things. Explain what each of these three things are using the description Riddley provides in Chapter 1. Also use other examples of the heart of the wood that are found throughout the novel. What does it mean in Chapter 15 when Riddley says that whenever he writes about the tree in the stone he will write "wud" and not "wood"?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the meaning of Riddley's name. What does he say about his name? What do others say about his name? Do both his first and his last name symbolize something? If so, what? Does his name have a double meaning? Why or why not? Does Riddley mention riddles in connection with his name? In Chapter 2, Riddley mentions riddles and the he is "walking them now on this paper"? Do you think Riddley's name is a riddle? Why or why not? What symbolism or ideas and emotions can be seen in his name?
Essay Topic 3
Riddley becomes friendly with the Bernt Arse pack. Explore this relationship and how it began. Why do you think the old leader sacrificed himself to Riddley? Why do the dogs begin hanging around whenever Riddley is near? Does Lissener play a role in getting the dog pack and Riddley together? Why do the dogs follow Riddley all across Inland? Why do they continue to follow him in his new role with Orfing?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)