|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Riddley's father when he died?
2. What huge traveling party arrives at Widders Dump the day after Brooder dies?
3. In the written Eusa Story, what does Mr. Clevver want Eusa to find?
4. What did the people of the village sing around the fire on the evening Brooder Walker died?
5. Where does Riddley get a scar?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, why do you think Riddley Walker says, "Your turn now my turn later"?
2. At the time Riddley's father was killed, what did Riddley know about dogs killing people?
3. After Riddley's father dies, what do Riddley and the other men hear coming from Widders Dump?
4. What happened three days after Riddley's naming day?
5. Why did Riddley climb the big iron thing after his father died?
6. During the wotcher, Goodparley tells Riddley that he is looking for something. What is Goodparley looking for and why?
7. After hearing the story "Why the Dog Wont Show Its Eyes," it appears that it was not Eusa who made the 1 Big 1. In the story, who made the 1 Big 1?
8. What happens in the written Eusa story after Eusa runs the numbers through the Power Ring?
9. Goodparley and Orfing show up at Widders Dump to do a show. What does Riddley say about these men?
10. What does Lorna talk about in her tel at Brooder's cremation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Riddley says that "1ce the kids start singing at you thas a cern kinyd of track youre on nor there aint to much you can do about it." Compare what Nimbel Potter sings about Riddley at the beginning of Chapter 10 and what the kid sings about Riddley when Riddley leaves Weaping Form. Does Riddley want to be on the track referred to in Chapter 10? Does he want to be on the track referred to in the last chapter? How are the two songs alike? How are they different? Did the song in Chapter 10 hint at what was to come for Riddley? Does the song in the last chapter hint at what is to come?
Essay Topic 2
Compare The Legend of St. Eustace in Chapter 14, to the Eusa story. What does the stag mean in the St. Eustace Legend? What does it mean in the Eusa story? How is St. Eustace's family like and unlike Eusa's family? What events in St. Eustace's life are similar to Eusa's? How is the end of the St. Eustace story like and unlike the end of the Eusa story? How does Goodparley compare the two stories?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the twoness or oneness that is referred to in the novel. Lissener and Riddley travel together for awhile, but have to separate. What are some of the separations that occur throughout the novel? Consider the separation of the Littl Shynin Man and include separations that occur through death. What is the significance of the one that becomes two or how the one will always find the two? Write how these different separations affect the characters in the novel.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)