|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the villagers join hands around a fire?
(a) To pray for protection from bad luck.
(b) To talk about Brooder's life.
(c) To celebrate the killing of the dog.
(d) To pray for a good harvest.
2. How old is the narrator of the story?
(a) He is twelve years old.
(b) He is eighteen today.
(c) He is sixteen years old.
(d) He is twenty-one today.
3. What are the children doing the night after the burning?
(a) Listening to Lorna tell a story.
(b) Singing and playing in the puddles.
(c) Playing ball.
4. What happened three days after Riddley's naming day?
(a) Riddley's father dies.
(b) Riddley runs away from home.
(c) Riddley goes to work with the chard coal burners.
(d) Riddley's mother dies.
5. What happens to the three people in the narrator's story?
(a) They are struck by lighting.
(b) They freeze to death.
(c) The child is killed and eaten and the parents leave the next morning.
(d) The child is killed and eaten and the parents are burned by fire.
6. What position will Riddley hold in his village now that his father is dead?
(a) Tribe leader.
(b) Witch doctor.
(c) Connexion man.
(d) The nindicater.
7. What does Eusa do with all his knowledge in the Goodparley/Orfing show?
(a) Gives it to Mr. Clevver.
(b) Writes it down in a book.
(c) Puts it in a box.
(d) Shares it with his friends.
8. Why is the fire made on the night Brooder dies?
(a) To cremate Brooder Walker.
(b) To stay warm.
(c) To burn the dog that Riddley killed.
(d) To cremate the dead baby.
9. What is the 1st knowing that Lorna refers to?
(a) They knew the day.
(b) They knew the night.
(c) They knew how to use the dog to help them.
(d) They learned cleverness.
10. What is the first thing the narrator does in Chapter 1?
(a) Kills a deer.
(b) Kills a wild boar.
(c) Goes for a walk.
(d) Talks to an old woman.
11. The night after Riddley gets his scar, who does the asking with Riddley?
(c) Lorna Elswint.
(d) Straiter Empy.
12. Who dies in the village the same day that the men are trying to remove the object from the hole?
(a) The leader of the Bernt Arse pack.
(b) A baby.
(c) Riddley's mother.
(d) Lorna Elswint.
13. What does Lorna say happened to the air boats?
(a) People sabotaged them.
(b) They got to space stations and the people on them died.
(c) They ran out of fuel after the 1 Big 1.
(d) They were destroyed in the 1 Big 1.
14. What did Riddley say as the villagers stood around the fire the evening his father died?
(a) He talked about how he would miss his father.
(b) He thanked everyone for the things they said about his father.
(c) He said he wished that his father had seen him kill the dog.
(d) He did not say anything.
15. When does the narrator's story in Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Three days before the novel begins.
(b) Before the bad time.
(c) The day the narrator was born.
(d) After the bad time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lorna say that Brooder was connected to?
2. What do the people need in the story the narrator tells in Chapter 1?
3. What does Riddley think when he first sees the Eusa puppet during the Goodparley/Orfing show?
4. Why does Riddley have to get a scar?
5. To whom does the narrator speak when he returns to his home on this first day of the novel?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)