• It is twelve year-old Riddley Walker's naming day.
• Riddley begins the day by killing and spearing what may well be the last boar in Inland.
• On the way home, Riddley and the others with him pass the chard coal burners.
• Riddley tells a story about charcoal and how it came about.
• Riddley's father is killed during a foraging expedition.
• Three days after his father dies, Riddley kills the leader of the Bernt Arse dog pack.
• Killing the dog pack leader confirms Riddley's chosen status.
• The same day Riddley's father is killed, the dog's head is stuck on a pole.
• Lorna Elswint tells Riddley a story called "Why the Dog Won't Show Its Eyes."
• The story Lorna tells explains how the nuclear holocaust known as "Master Chaynjis" occurred.
• Riddley believes the holocaust was caused by Eusa.
• Lorna explains that the two stories are not contradictory.
This section contains 1,917 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)