|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Andi hang out before school?
2. What will Andi have to do in order to graduate high school?
3. How will they prove who the heart belongs to?
4. What does Virgil give Andi?
5. Who comes to watch Alex's family's puppet show one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Virgil and what is his relationship with Andi?
2. Why is Andi drawn to the guitar at G's house?
3. What does Andi discover inside the guitar case?
4. Why is Alex risking herself to light fireworks?
5. What do we know about Andi's brother, Truman?
6. Why does Andi want to return to New York so badly?
7. What is the deal Andi strikes with her father?
8. Why does Andi want to visit the catacombs?
9. What does Andi learn while watching her father and G discuss their DNA testing on a talk show?
10. What is Andi's senior thesis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each time Andi enters the catacombs she has a paranormal experience. On her first visit she sees and hears things that are not there. On her second visit she is transported back in time.
What leads Andi to the catacombs? Why is she fascinated by them? Do you believe she is actually having a paranormal experience, or do you feel her experiences are the result of her medications and/or injuries? In the end, does it matter if the experiences were real? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
After Andi emails her thesis outline to her father she waits for him to come home. Before she can discuss her paper with him, she has a chance to overhear him on the phone discussing herself and Truman. What does Andi hear that makes her feel sympathy toward her father? How does he blame himself for her depression? Who does he blame for the failure of his marriage? Who does he blame for Truman's death? Why do you think he is unwilling to accept Andi's attempt to comfort him?
Essay Topic 3
Andi is suffering from depression and is taking antidepressants to help her cope with her emotional state. However, throughout the book she takes it upon herself to change the doses of her medication. Some days she takes less, other days she takes too much.
1) Discuss what happens to Andi that makes her change her medication doses?
2) What are the results of Andi's medication changes?
3) Is it safe for Andi to play with her medications? Why or why not?
4) How is Andi's desire to tamper with her medications an indication of her emotional state?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)