|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There are individuals waiting for Father to return to the farm. Where are they waiting?
2. What interferes with Father's plan in Section 3?
3. What is the best description of Father's attitude as he gives the directions about an arrival during his time away from the farm?
4. Considering the statement Mother makes after Father leaves the farm, to where does Mother believe their family is headed?
5. As Mother reacts to the arrival at the farm, who is watching her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the themes in the story. The primary theme is that of how women were viewed and how they were supposed to respond men. Do you see any other themes in the story? What are they? How do they add to the primary theme?
Essay Topic 2
Religion is significantly evident in this story. Do you think religion is just another social convention in the story, or is it a deeply held belief evident in some of the characters? Do you see any hypocrisy in the story with regard to religion?
Essay Topic 3
Does Mother have another choice in the story? Can she make any other decision? Write an essay explaining Mother's conflicts and the decision she makes and whether she has any other options available to her.
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)