|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the description of Mother's efforts during the scene following the arrival at the farm?
2. There are individuals waiting for Father to return to the farm. Where are they waiting?
3. After Mother's reaction to the arrival at the farm, what does she do?
4. What explanation does Mother give Father as to why she moved them into the new barn?
5. What does Mother command Father do once she has explained the move to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Father says that he didn't know how strongly Mother felt about the house, the reader senses irony. Is that truly an example of irony? Or was Father using that as an excuse? It seems incomprehensible that Father would not know how she feels, but perhaps that is an indication that he really didn't respect what she has to say. Explain your thoughts regarding this scene and the use of irony.
Essay Topic 2
There are many elements of conflict used throughout the story. Choose one of the following conflicts, and write an essay about how that conflict adds to the understanding of the plot of the story:
1) Conflict between Mother and Father
2) Conflict between Mother and Sammy
3) Conflict between Mother and the minister
4) Conflict between Father and Sammy
5) Conflict between Mother and the townspeople gossiping about what she did
Essay Topic 3
This piece of literature is in the genre of the short story. Do you think the brevity of it adds to the plot? Would you have liked to have seen the plot and characters developed further? Or is the length more than sufficient to prove the point the author is trying to make?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)