|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Mother reacts to the arrival at the farm, who is watching her?
2. What do some of the people think about the gossip news in Section 4?
3. What does Father tell Mother might arrive while he is gone?
4. After Mother's reaction to the arrival at the farm, what does she do?
5. What does Father wonder as he looks at his family following his return to the farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining if you think this story was meant to be controversial for the time in which it was written. Use the time in which the author was writing as compared to the time during which the story takes place to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
When Father says that he didn't know how strongly Mother felt about the house, the reader senses irony. Is that truly an example of irony? Or was Father using that as an excuse? It seems incomprehensible that Father would not know how she feels, but perhaps that is an indication that he really didn't respect what she has to say. Explain your thoughts regarding this scene and the use of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how symbolism is used to develop the primary theme. Which elements of symbolism are most effective in developing the plot? Which elements of symbolism are most effective in developing tension? Which elements of symbolism are most effective in developing intrigue?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)