|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Mother reacts to the arrival at the farm, who is watching her?
2. What is the description of Mother's efforts during the scene following the arrival at the farm?
3. There is an underlying attitude that the author provides as Father gives the directions for while he is away on his trip. What is that underlying attitude?
4. About what was the visitor astonished?
5. Whom does Father say should help with the arrival at the farm while he is gone on his trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing and contrasting Father at the beginning of the story to the end of the story. Is he a true villain in the beginning, or is he simply going along with what was expected of men during that time? Do you respect his actions at the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The reader learns that the townspeople are gossiping about Mother's actions. Does the author mean this to be symbolism for something else? What is the symbolism behind the women talking about it in their homes and the men discussing it on the roads? What is the symbolism behind the men standing on the road awaiting Father's arrival?
Essay Topic 3
This piece of literature is in the genre of the short story. Do you think the brevity of it adds to the plot? Would you have liked to have seen the plot and characters developed further? Or is the length more than sufficient to prove the point the author is trying to make?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)