|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is "The Revolt of 'Mother'" typical of this author's writing?
2. How does Mother cope with Sammy's information?
3. Which of the following best describes Nanny's logic behind her confusion regarding the digging?
4. What is the best description of the house Adoniram and Sarah Penn own?
5. What is the promise that Mother reminds Father he made to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for Mother's response to Father's final answer regarding the digging?
2. Describe Nanny's reaction to her Mother's news about the location of the digging.
3. What happens at the end of the story to let the reader know the conclusion?
4. There is one point in the story when Father discusses Mother's reaction about building a new barn with Sammy. Describe what Father says to Sammy about Mother.
5. Why does Father need to go out of town unexpectedly, and whom is he going to see?
6. Why or why not do you think that Father finds Mother's decision acceptable?
7. How does Mother view the location of the new barn and her existing house?
8. Describe the scene when the minister arrives to speak to Mother.
9. After Father's conversation with Sammy about Mother, what occurs with regard to the barn and Father's plans for it?
10. Describe Mother's reaction to Nanny's suggestion and what Mother does at the end of this conversation with Nanny in Section 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining if you think this story was meant to be controversial for the time in which it was written. Use the time in which the author was writing as compared to the time during which the story takes place to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
There are many elements of conflict used throughout the story. Choose one of the following conflicts, and write an essay about how that conflict adds to the understanding of the plot of the story:
1) Conflict between Mother and Father
2) Conflict between Mother and Sammy
3) Conflict between Mother and the minister
4) Conflict between Father and Sammy
5) Conflict between Mother and the townspeople gossiping about what she did
Essay Topic 3
Explain the view of a woman's role during the 1800s. Be sure to discuss how men treated women and how men viewed women. Also include a discussion of how women were to treat men during this time in history. Then explain why this understanding of history is crucial to understanding the interactions between the members of the Penn family.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)