|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After some bantering between Mother and Father, what occurs?
2. After Father goes back into the field to work following their discussion about the state of the house and barn, what does Mother do?
3. At first, how does Sammy respond to Mother's second question?
4. What does the introduction imply about the ultimate conclusion to "The Revolt of 'Mother'"?
5. What is the best description of the house Adoniram and Sarah Penn own?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Father's conversation with Sammy about Mother, what occurs with regard to the barn and Father's plans for it?
2. What does Mother do following Father's return home to let him know that this is how things are going to be from now on?
3. What does Father do when he arrives on the farm after his trip? What is his reaction to what he finds?
4. "The Revolt of 'Mother'" is Mary Eleanor Wilkins Freeman's most wel- known short story. Explain why this short story is so well known.
5. Explain what Mother does as Father leaves on his trip.
6. What does Mother do all day as she processes this new information about why the men are digging outside? Describe her attitude, and give reasons to support your answer.
7. What is the scene at the dinner table after Mother tells Father where they will live from now on?
8. When the hay cart arrives while Father is on his trip, what does Mother do?
9. How are Nanny and Sammy feeling as their father returns from his trip?
10. What does Mother say to Sammy and Nanny after the hay cart arrives and she is back in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several elements of foreshadowing throughout the story. Choose one, and describe why it is effective in telling the story.
Essay Topic 2
When Father says that he didn't know how strongly Mother felt about the house, the reader senses irony. Is that truly an example of irony? Or was Father using that as an excuse? It seems incomprehensible that Father would not know how she feels, but perhaps that is an indication that he really didn't respect what she has to say. Explain your thoughts regarding this scene and the use of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how symbolism is used to develop the primary theme. Which elements of symbolism are most effective in developing the plot? Which elements of symbolism are most effective in developing tension? Which elements of symbolism are most effective in developing intrigue?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)