|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Father respond to Mother's two questions following the bantering scene?
2. In Section 2, where does Nanny suggest that she be married?
3. After Mother receives information from Sammy, what does she spend the day doing?
4. Why is "The Revolt of 'Mother'" typical of this author's writing?
5. What reason does Mother give Father for needing improvements on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why or why not do you think that Father finds Mother's decision acceptable?
2. Why does Father need to go out of town unexpectedly, and whom is he going to see?
3. After Father's conversation with Sammy about Mother, what occurs with regard to the barn and Father's plans for it?
4. How does Mother view the location of the new barn and her existing house?
5. What does Mother do following Father's return home to let him know that this is how things are going to be from now on?
6. What does Father do when he arrives on the farm after his trip? What is his reaction to what he finds?
7. Describe Nanny's reaction to her Mother's news about the location of the digging.
8. Why is the decision that Mother makes during Father's absence so shocking in the context of this story?
9. When Mother makes the statement to Nanny about unsolicited opportunities, what is her thought, and what is the reader led to believe?
10. Describe the interaction between Mother and Father after dinner on the day Father returns from his trip.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Father says that he didn't know how strongly Mother felt about the house, the reader senses irony. Is that truly an example of irony? Or was Father using that as an excuse? It seems incomprehensible that Father would not know how she feels, but perhaps that is an indication that he really didn't respect what she has to say. Explain your thoughts regarding this scene and the use of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Nanny seems to have conflict within herself. Write about the conflict she faces. Does her character do anything to try to resolve that conflict? Does her character depend on others to solve the conflict for her?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the story, and describe how the author develops the character traits throughout the plot. Explain how the development of the character adds to the plot and how it unfolds.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)