|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the introduction to "The Revolt of 'Mother'" provide to readers?
2. Which of the following is the best description of the protagonist?
3. What is the best description of the house Adoniram and Sarah Penn own?
4. Why is "The Revolt of 'Mother'" typical of this author's writing?
5. What is Mother's description of what Father is doing regarding the family house and barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother do following Father's return home to let him know that this is how things are going to be from now on?
2. What is the minister's reaction to his conversation with Mother?
3. Describe the interaction between Mother and Father after dinner on the day Father returns from his trip.
4. After Mother's confrontation inside with Father about the building of the new barn, what does she do and what is her attitude?
5. How does Mother explain the decision that she made during Father's absence to him?
6. What does Mother remind Father of when she tries to convince him that they need a new house and not a new barn?
7. What does the introduction do for the reader?
8. After Father's conversation with Sammy about Mother, what occurs with regard to the barn and Father's plans for it?
9. What is Nanny's reaction to her mother's venting?
10. Why or why not do you think that Father finds Mother's decision acceptable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This short story was certain to have caused a stir when it was written and first read. Do you think it is a significant enough piece of literature to make an impact on how women were viewed during the time in which it was written?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing and contrasting Father at the beginning of the story to the end of the story. Is he a true villain in the beginning, or is he simply going along with what was expected of men during that time? Do you respect his actions at the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Nanny seems to have conflict within herself. Write about the conflict she faces. Does her character do anything to try to resolve that conflict? Does her character depend on others to solve the conflict for her?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)