|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Nanny's logic behind her confusion regarding the digging?
(a) Another house is unnecessary when the one in which they live is in such good condition.
(b) Another barn in unnecessary when their house is in such poor condition.
(c) A ditch is not nececssary because there is a river down the road.
(d) A family cemetery is not needed when everyone is healthy and young.
2. At first, how does Sammy respond to Mother's second question?
(a) By storming out of the house.
(b) By yelling at her.
(c) By ignoring her.
(d) By answering her.
3. As the story begins, when does Mother say she will return to the house?
(a) When Father tells her why the minister is there.
(b) When Sammy arrives home.
(c) When Father tells her why the men are digging.
(d) When Father tells her to return to the house.
4. What is the best description of Mother's assessment of her own attitude toward their house?
(a) She loves their house.
(b) She loves her house but that it is Nanny who complains about it.
(c) She has never complained about their house.
(d) She knows she has always complained about the house, and she does not understand why Father won't listen.
5. What was the promise that Father made to Mother?
(a) He would build her a new barn.
(b) He would buy a new horse.
(c) He would buy a new carriage.
(d) He would build her a new house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best description of the goal that the protagonist accomplishes?
2. How does Mother describe their house to Father?
3. What is the best description of the current state of the barn that exists on the farm?
4. When Father answers Mother's question about what they are digging for, what is his response?
5. From the introduction, what does the reader know about how the secondary characters are going to be affected?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when the minister arrives to speak to Mother.
2. Describe Nanny's reaction to her Mother's news about the location of the digging.
3. What is the minister's reaction to his conversation with Mother?
4. At the end of the day that Mother implements the decision she makes in Father's absense, what is the condition of the new barn and the old house?
5. Explain what Mother does as Father leaves on his trip.
6. What instructions does Father give to Mother before he leaves on his trip?
7. What happens at the end of the story to let the reader know the conclusion?
8. There is one point in the story when Father discusses Mother's reaction about building a new barn with Sammy. Describe what Father says to Sammy about Mother.
9. What does Mother do following Father's return home to let him know that this is how things are going to be from now on?
10. Describe Mother's reaction to Nanny's suggestion and what Mother does at the end of this conversation with Nanny in Section 2.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)