|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the best description of the house Adoniram and Sarah Penn own?
(a) A small but adequate house.
(b) A large, spacious mansion.
(c) A quaint but beautiful two-story house.
(d) A tiny shack.
2. After Sammy's response to Mother's second question, what happens?
(a) Mother tells Sammy to leave the house.
(b) Nanny tells Sammy to go find his father.
(c) Mother tells Sammy to eat his food.
(d) Mother scolds Sammy.
3. What is the reason given in the introduction for the protagonist's actions?
(a) To meet the deep-felt need of her husband.
(b) To meet the deep-felt need of his children.
(c) To meet her own deep-felt need.
(d) To meet the deep-felt need of his friends.
4. What is Mother's description of what Father is doing regarding the family house and barn?
(a) Providing well for his family.
(b) Not providing well for his family.
(c) Not lodging his "dumb beasts" very well.
(d) Lodging his "dumb beasts" better than his flesh and blood.
5. What, specifically, does Mother do all day in Section 2?
(a) Buys things that she needs for her new house.
(b) Sleeps all day and all night.
(c) Cleans house and bakes pies.
(d) Works cattle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mother cope with Sammy's information?
2. After some bantering between Mother and Father, what occurs?
3. Mother's attitude changes after Sammy provides her with information. What is the best description of this changed attitude?
4. After she voices her opinion on the state of the house and barn, what is Mother's reaction to Father's response?
5. What is the best description of the goal that the protagonist accomplishes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the decision that Mother makes during Father's absence so shocking in the context of this story?
2. Describe Father's attitude and actions as he listens to Mother confront him about building a new barn.
3. When Mother makes the statement to Nanny about unsolicited opportunities, what is her thought, and what is the reader led to believe?
4. After Mother's confrontation inside with Father about the building of the new barn, what does she do and what is her attitude?
5. What is the scene and what is said when Father opens the barn doors after arriving home from his trip?
6. What does Mother do following Father's return home to let him know that this is how things are going to be from now on?
7. After Father's conversation with Sammy about Mother, what occurs with regard to the barn and Father's plans for it?
8. Explain what Mother does as Father leaves on his trip.
9. There is one point in the story when Father discusses Mother's reaction about building a new barn with Sammy. Describe what Father says to Sammy about Mother.
10. What does Mother do to vent her anger regarding Father's plans?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)