|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the interaction with her husband about the men digging is over, what does Mother finally do?
(a) She goes to her friend's house.
(b) She sits on the ground and cries.
(c) She goes back into the house.
(d) She runs after Father.
2. What is the reason given in the introduction for the protagonist's actions?
(a) To meet the deep-felt need of her husband.
(b) To meet her own deep-felt need.
(c) To meet the deep-felt need of his children.
(d) To meet the deep-felt need of his friends.
3. How does Sammy finally respond to Mother's second question?
(a) He says that Father plans to buy more cows.
(b) He says that Father is not planning to buy more cows.
(c) Sammy decide to go find his father to deal with this situation.
(d) Sammy continues to ignore his mother, despite the scolding.
4. Why does Mother react the way she does to knowing why men are digging in the field?
(a) She is happy because she wants a hole in the spot they are digging.
(b) She is sad because she does not want a hole where they are digging.
(c) She does not care if there is a new hole.
(d) She is angry because the new house is supposed to go where the men are digging.
5. Which of the following is the best description of the protagonist?
(a) A male who defies social convention.
(b) A male who upholds social convention at all costs.
(c) A female who defies social convention.
(d) A female who upholds social convention at all costs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mother cope with Sammy's information?
2. What is the promise that Mother reminds Father he made to her?
3. What is the best description of the current state of the barn that exists on the farm?
4. When Mother watches the men digging in the field, what does she ask Father?
5. As Mother observes Father's response to her questions following their bantering, what does Mother do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs with the townspeople the day after the move?
2. "The Revolt of 'Mother'" is Mary Eleanor Wilkins Freeman's most wel- known short story. Explain why this short story is so well known.
3. Toward the end of her confrontation with Father, what does Mother say in anger to try to convince Father that he is wrong to build a barn?
4. What is the scene as Mother asks Sammy about his knowledge of plans for the new barn? Explain what Sammy knows.
5. How are Nanny and Sammy feeling as their father returns from his trip?
6. Describe Mother's reaction to Nanny's suggestion and what Mother does at the end of this conversation with Nanny in Section 2.
7. Describe the scene when the minister arrives to speak to Mother.
8. Mother makes the following comment to Nanny: "Unsolicited opportunities are the guideposts of the Lord to the new roads of life." What does Mother mean by this statement?
9. Why does Mother think she has a right to be disturbed about Father's building another barn?
10. Describe Mother's attitude and what she does after Father leaves on the trip.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)