|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Considering the statement Mother makes after Father leaves the farm, to where does Mother believe their family is headed?
(a) To happier times.
(b) On a new road of life.
(c) To times of blessing.
(d) To better obedience from the children.
2. What does Mother do when she sees the arrival at the farm?
(a) Tells Sammy to deal with the hay.
(b) Runs outside and shows them where the new barn is.
(c) Runs outside and directs the hay to be put in the old barn.
(d) Stays inside and refuses to give directions.
3. With what emotion does Father respond to Mother's statement in Section 5 about the old house?
4. By 5:00 on the night of the arrival at the farm, what is the best description of the old house?
(a) It is torn down.
(b) It is messy.
(c) It is the same as it was that morning.
(d) It is empty.
5. What interferes with Father's plan in Section 3?
(a) He has to go out of town unexpectedly.
(b) He has to go away for an hour.
(c) He has to go away for the afternoon.
(d) He has to go away for the morning.
6. Whom does Father say should help with the arrival at the farm while he is gone on his trip?
7. As Mother reacts to the arrival at the farm, who is watching her?
(a) Father and Sammy.
(b) Sammy and Nanny.
(c) The field workers.
(d) The neighbors.
8. Where does Sammy take the horse after his father's return to the farm?
(a) To the neighbor's house.
(b) To the old house.
(c) To the old barn.
(d) To the new barn.
9. The person who asks mother what she's doing in Section 4 begins to ______ while asking her question.
(b) Help mother.
10. After Mother's reaction to the arrival at the farm, what does she do?
(a) Goes to bed.
(b) Packs up plates, cups, and saucers.
(c) Starts to cry again.
(d) Resumes cleaning the house.
11. What is the best description of Nanny as she awaits Father's return to the farm?
(a) A bundle of nervous tremors.
(c) Frightened of Father's anger.
(d) Happy to share the surprise with Father.
12. Which command does Mother give Father as he leaves on his trip?
(a) Come home in an hour.
(b) Be careful.
(c) Return before nightfall.
(d) Be back by supper time.
13. What is Father's plan for the new construction?
(a) To build the new house.
(b) To move the old house into the new house.
(c) To move the old house into the new barn.
(d) To move the cows into the new barn.
14. How is the harness room described by 6:00 that night?
(a) There is a kettle on for tea, and the table is set for supper.
(b) There cups and plates are resting on hay.
(c) It is a mess.
(d) It is beautifully decorated.
15. Who stands in front of whom when Father arrives home after his return?
(a) Sammy stands in front of Mother and Nanny.
(b) Nanny stands in front of Sammy and Mother.
(c) The minister stands in front of Mother and the children.
(d) Mother stands in front of Nanny and Sammy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 5, what does Father do after dinner?
2. What does Mother have to do for Father as Sammy takes the horse away following Father's return?
3. Where do Mother and her visitor talk?
4. When Mother joins him outside after she cleans up the dinner dishes following his return to the farm, what does she notice about Father?
5. In Section 5, what does Mother tell Father about the old house?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)