|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the description of Mother's efforts during the scene following the arrival at the farm?
(a) She could have done it only with Father's help.
(b) She couldn't have done it without the help of the children.
(c) A feat equal to Wolfe's storming of the Heights of Abraham.
(d) Something that is as easy as pie.
2. What does Mother do when she sees the arrival at the farm?
(a) Runs outside and directs the hay to be put in the old barn.
(b) Tells Sammy to deal with the hay.
(c) Runs outside and shows them where the new barn is.
(d) Stays inside and refuses to give directions.
3. What is the best description of Nanny and Sammy during Mother's efforts in the aftermath of the arrival at the farm?
(a) They begrudingly do as she instructs.
(b) They do as they are told but question Mother about it.
(c) They refuse to do as she instructes.
(d) They do as she instructs without questioning.
4. What does Mother tell Nanny to do following the arrival at the farm?
(a) To go pack her things.
(b) To make dinner.
(c) To help with the dishes.
(d) To go help with the hay.
5. How does Mother's feel as Father leaves the farm?
6. Which command does Mother give Father as he leaves on his trip?
(a) Be back by supper time.
(b) Be careful.
(c) Return before nightfall.
(d) Come home in an hour.
7. With what emotion does Father respond to Mother's statement in Section 5 about the old house?
8. What day of the week is Father expected to return to the farm?
9. What is Father doing when he has to leave the farm?
(a) Helping with the neighbor's barn.
(b) Buying Mother some new calico.
(c) Setting up chairs.
(d) Picking up a horse.
10. What does Father tell Mother at the end of the story what he will do to the barn?
(a) Whatever Nanny wants.
(b) Anything she wants.
(d) He says he is moving the animals in there and they will have to move back into the house.
11. In Section 3, to whom does Father say something about Mother's reaction to the house and barn?
(a) The minister.
(d) His brother-in-law.
12. What is Mother's response when she is questioned about her actions following the arrival at the farm?
(a) She tells them what she is doing.
(b) She says she is leaving the farm.
(c) She tells them to mind their own business.
(d) She says they will find out soon enough what she is doing.
13. What characteristic is Sammy trying to show as he speaks to his father in Section 5?
14. About what was the visitor astonished?
(a) How small the new barn is.
(b) Mother's superior ability to recite Scripture.
(c) Mother's lack of concern about what people think of her decision.
(d) How beautiful the new house looks.
15. What does Father say about Mother's reaction to the house and barn?
(a) It is odd how Mother feels about the new barn.
(b) It is odd how Mother feels about the new house.
(c) It is great how Mother feels about the new barn.
(d) It is odd how Mother feels about old barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Father going when he leaves the farm?
2. Why do Mother and her visitor remain where they have their discussion?
3. Where are the women of the town discussing this piece of information that they know following the arrival at the Penn farml?
4. Where does Sammy take the horse after his father's return to the farm?
5. When Mother asks Father to say a blessing before the meal, what does he do?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)