|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother do when she sees the arrival at the farm?
(a) Tells Sammy to deal with the hay.
(b) Runs outside and shows them where the new barn is.
(c) Stays inside and refuses to give directions.
(d) Runs outside and directs the hay to be put in the old barn.
2. The person who asks mother what she's doing in Section 4 begins to ______ while asking her question.
(b) Help mother.
3. Based on the statement Mother makes after Father leaves, what does Mother believe she has in his absence?
(a) Children all to herself.
(b) An opportunity to not have to answer to anyone.
(c) The obedience of her children.
(d) An unsolicited opportunity.
4. Where is Father going when he leaves the farm?
(a) To see Sarah's brother.
(b) To the neighbor's house.
(c) To the church.
(d) To the store.
5. What is the state of Mother's mind after Father leaves the farm?
(a) In constant thought.
(b) Thinking only of Nanny.
(c) Convincing herself that she should be submissive to her husband.
(d) Looking for distraction.
6. What does Mother do after Father leaves on his trip?
(a) She rests.
(b) She cries.
(c) She whines.
(d) She works.
7. As Mother reacts to the arrival at the farm, who is watching her?
(a) Father and Sammy.
(b) The neighbors.
(c) The field workers.
(d) Sammy and Nanny.
8. There is an underlying attitude that the author provides as Father gives the directions for while he is away on his trip. What is that underlying attitude?
(a) Embarrassed about being remorseful.
(b) Pretending to be apologetic.
(c) Fine being apologetic.
(d) Fighting being apologetic.
9. What is the best description of Nanny and Sammy during Mother's efforts in the aftermath of the arrival at the farm?
(a) They do as she instructs without questioning.
(b) They refuse to do as she instructes.
(c) They begrudingly do as she instructs.
(d) They do as they are told but question Mother about it.
10. Who is in the house after Father leaves the farm?
(a) Nanny and the minister.
(b) Nanny and Mother.
(c) Mother and a worker.
(d) Mother and the minister.
11. When Mother joins him outside after she cleans up the dinner dishes following his return to the farm, what does she notice about Father?
(a) That he is moving things back into the old house.
(b) That he is talking to his friends.
(c) That he is crying.
(d) That he is talking to the minister.
12. What is Father doing when he has to leave the farm?
(a) Picking up a horse.
(b) Buying Mother some new calico.
(c) Helping with the neighbor's barn.
(d) Setting up chairs.
13. How does Mother's feel as Father leaves the farm?
14. Where are the women of the town discussing this piece of information that they know following the arrival at the Penn farml?
(a) In the store.
(b) In the streets.
(c) At each other's houses.
(d) At church.
15. By the day after the arrival at the farm, what information do the townspeople know?
(a) Mother is livid.
(b) Mother has moved into the new barn.
(c) Father will not build Mother a new house.
(d) Father will build Mother a new barn for their new cows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for the visit by the individual who goes to see Mother?
2. Describe the harness room of the new barn as it is in Section 4.
3. With what emotion does Father respond to Mother's statement in Section 5 about the old house?
4. As Father comes down the road toward the farm, what is Mother doing?
5. Who stands in front of whom when Father arrives home after his return?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)