|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else does Mother prepare for Father before he has to leave the farm?
(a) The horse.
(b) Food grown on their farm with which to sell in town.
(c) His money.
(d) Shaving supplies.
2. On what day does Mother receive her visit?
3. What does Mother have to do for Father as Sammy takes the horse away following Father's return?
(a) She combs his hair before she serves him dinner.
(b) She moves everything back to the old house.
(c) She takes his boots off.
(d) She takes the horse to the barn.
4. What is the best description of the new barn by 5:00 on the evening of the arrival at the farm?
(a) It is full of hay.
(b) It is the site of a wedding ceremony.
(c) It is burnt to the ground.
(d) It is the new home.
5. What is Father doing when he has to leave the farm?
(a) Setting up chairs.
(b) Picking up a horse.
(c) Helping with the neighbor's barn.
(d) Buying Mother some new calico.
6. What does Father tell Mother might arrive while he is gone?
7. When Mother joins him outside after she cleans up the dinner dishes following his return to the farm, what does she notice about Father?
(a) That he is talking to his friends.
(b) That he is crying.
(c) That he is moving things back into the old house.
(d) That he is talking to the minister.
8. What interferes with Father's plan in Section 3?
(a) He has to go away for an hour.
(b) He has to go away for the afternoon.
(c) He has to go out of town unexpectedly.
(d) He has to go away for the morning.
9. How does Sammy respond to Father's confusion after he returns to the farm?
(a) He tells Father that Nanny made him move from the house to the barn.
(b) He tells Father that Mother has made a terrible mistake.
(c) He tells Father that they are going to live in the barn until the new house is built.
(d) He tells Father that they are going to live in the barn from now on.
10. By the day after the arrival at the farm, what information do the townspeople know?
(a) Mother is livid.
(b) Father will build Mother a new barn for their new cows.
(c) Mother has moved into the new barn.
(d) Father will not build Mother a new house.
11. What hint does the statement that Mother makes after Father leaves the farm give the reader?
(a) Something significant will occur while Father is gone.
(b) Mother is going to enjoy her time without Father.
(c) The children will finally be obedient.
(d) Mother is going to have great blessings.
12. Where is Father going when he leaves the farm?
(a) To see Sarah's brother.
(b) To the store.
(c) To the neighbor's house.
(d) To the church.
13. Who watches Father as he embarks on his trip?
(a) Nanny and Sammy.
(b) Mother, Nanny, and Sammy.
(c) Mother and Nanny.
(d) Mother and Sammy.
14. Who stands in front of whom when Father arrives home after his return?
(a) The minister stands in front of Mother and the children.
(b) Mother stands in front of Nanny and Sammy.
(c) Nanny stands in front of Sammy and Mother.
(d) Sammy stands in front of Mother and Nanny.
15. Where are the women of the town discussing this piece of information that they know following the arrival at the Penn farml?
(a) In the streets.
(b) At each other's houses.
(c) In the store.
(d) At church.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 4, who asks Mother what she is doing right after the arrival at the farm?
2. What arrives at 11:00 in the morning in Section 4?
3. With what emotion does Father respond to Mother's statement in Section 5 about the old house?
4. What is the best description of Mother as she waits for Father's return to the farm?
5. Where do Mother and her visitor talk?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)