|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sammy leaves in Section 2, where does Nanny go?
(a) To the neighbor's house with Sammy.
(b) To school with Sammy.
(c) To the store to buy more mincemeat for the pies.
(d) To the store to buy more thread for her embroidery.
2. In Section 2, what happens when Father returns to the house?
(a) The family fights.
(b) Mother helps to build a barn.
(c) The family eats.
(d) Sammy helps to build a house.
3. Which of the following is the best description of the protagonist?
(a) A female who defies social convention.
(b) A male who defies social convention.
(c) A female who upholds social convention at all costs.
(d) A male who upholds social convention at all costs.
4. Of the following, what is the most accurate description of "The Revolt of 'Mother'"?
(a) It is typical of the author's writing.
(b) It is not typical of the author's writing.
(c) It is sad.
(d) It is frightening.
5. What is the reason given in the introduction for the protagonist's actions?
(a) To meet the deep-felt need of her husband.
(b) To meet her own deep-felt need.
(c) To meet the deep-felt need of his friends.
(d) To meet the deep-felt need of his children.
6. Once the bantering between Mother and Father is over, what does Mother ask?
(a) Why Father is building another house.
(b) Why Father is building another barn.
(c) Why Father is building another cemetery.
(d) Why Father is buying another horse.
7. As Mother remembers the promise that Father made to her, which of the following best describes her demeanor?
(a) Without resentment, she makes his favorite pie as she remembers that he hasn't kept his promise.
(b) With determination, she refuses to make his favorite pie because he will not keep his promise to her.
(c) She has Nanny make his favorite pie because she is so angry at him.
(d) She joyfully makes his favorite pie because he kept his promise to her.
8. What does Sammy do after Mother asks him her question?
(a) Walks out of the house.
(b) Tells her that he has no idea what his father is planning to do.
(c) Throws his plate against the wall.
(d) Ignores her.
9. After some bantering between Mother and Father, what occurs?
(a) Father talks to Mother right away.
(b) Father walks away.
(c) Mother demands that Father come talk to her.
(d) Father goes into the house and eats some pie.
10. What information does Sammy give Mother that she is unaware of?
(a) He has known that Father plans to build a school.
(b) He has been aware that Father is making a cemetery.
(c) He has been aware that Father plans to build a house.
(d) He has known that Father plans to build a barn.
11. How does Father respond to Mother's reaction toward why the men are digging in the field?
(a) He tells her to go into the house and keep her feelings to herself.
(b) He hugs her and tells her not to worry about it.
(c) He screams back at her.
(d) He leaves without saying another word to her.
12. How does Mother describe their house to Father?
(a) Old wallpaper, no carpet, no storage, and only one room.
(b) Old wallpaper, no carpet, no storage, and two rooms.
(c) New wallpaper, new carpet, a lot of storage, and three rooms.
(d) New wallpaper, new carpet, no storage, and several rooms.
13. Where does Sammy go before Father can assign more chores?
(a) To town.
(b) To the neighbor's house.
(c) To the swimming hole.
(d) To school.
14. Which of the following best describes Nanny's logic behind her confusion regarding the digging?
(a) Another barn in unnecessary when their house is in such poor condition.
(b) A family cemetery is not needed when everyone is healthy and young.
(c) Another house is unnecessary when the one in which they live is in such good condition.
(d) A ditch is not nececssary because there is a river down the road.
15. What is the best description of the house Adoniram and Sarah Penn own?
(a) A large, spacious mansion.
(b) A quaint but beautiful two-story house.
(c) A small but adequate house.
(d) A tiny shack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mother's attitude after she hears Sammy's response to her second question?
2. When Mother is talking to Father about their house, what is it that she cannot comprehend?
3. How does Sammy finally respond to Mother's second question?
4. What is Father's favorite kind of pie?
5. As the story begins, when does Mother say she will return to the house?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)