|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Nanny Penn been doing during her parents' discussion about men digging in the field?
(a) Spying on her parents' discussion.
(b) Working on her needlepoint.
(c) Watching the men dig in the field.
(d) Watching her brother work.
2. What, specifically, does Mother do all day in Section 2?
(a) Buys things that she needs for her new house.
(b) Sleeps all day and all night.
(c) Cleans house and bakes pies.
(d) Works cattle.
3. What is Mother's response to Nanny's suggestion of where she be married?
(a) She screams at Nanny for such a ridiculous idea.
(b) Starts to cry.
(c) She thinks it is a fabulous idea.
(d) She is startled.
4. After Mother asks Sammy the question, what does she do to Sammy?
(a) Scolds him.
(b) Hugs him.
(c) Makes him stand in the corner until his father arrives home.
(d) Throws him out of the house.
5. What answer does Mother give to Nanny's question about what the men are digging for?
(a) A grave.
(b) The cellar for a new house.
(c) A cellar for a new barn.
(d) A place to put a new house.
6. As the story begins, when does Mother say she will return to the house?
(a) When Sammy arrives home.
(b) When Father tells her why the minister is there.
(c) When Father tells her why the men are digging.
(d) When Father tells her to return to the house.
7. How many years ago did Father make a promise to Mother?
8. What does Mother ask Sammy when she goes back into the house after learning the reason for the digging?
(a) If he wants more supper.
(b) If he was aware that his father was planning to build a new barn.
(c) What his book is about.
(d) If he was aware that his father was planning to build a new house.
9. What does Sammy do after Mother asks him her question?
(a) Throws his plate against the wall.
(b) Ignores her.
(c) Walks out of the house.
(d) Tells her that he has no idea what his father is planning to do.
10. What does the introduction to "The Revolt of 'Mother'" provide to readers?
(a) Nothing about the story.
(b) An analysis of the story.
(c) An anticipation as to what is coming in the story.
(d) The conclusion to the story.
11. Why is "The Revolt of 'Mother'" typical of this author's writing?
(a) The story provides a look at a child and his interactions with his mother.
(b) The story provides a look at a husband and his interactions with friends.
(c) The story provides a look at a woman and her interactions with friends.
(d) The story provides a look at a woman and her interactions with husband and children.
12. What was the promise that Father made to Mother?
(a) He would buy a new carriage.
(b) He would build her a new barn.
(c) He would build her a new house.
(d) He would buy a new horse.
13. What information does Sammy give Mother that she is unaware of?
(a) He has known that Father plans to build a barn.
(b) He has been aware that Father plans to build a house.
(c) He has known that Father plans to build a school.
(d) He has been aware that Father is making a cemetery.
14. What is the best description of Mother's assessment of her own attitude toward their house?
(a) She has never complained about their house.
(b) She knows she has always complained about the house, and she does not understand why Father won't listen.
(c) She loves her house but that it is Nanny who complains about it.
(d) She loves their house.
15. In Section 2, what happens when Father returns to the house?
(a) The family fights.
(b) The family eats.
(c) Mother helps to build a barn.
(d) Sammy helps to build a house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finally, what answer does Father give Mother about why the men are digging in the field?
2. What is Mother's reaction to why the men are digging?
3. What is the second thing Mother asks of Father once the bantering is over?
4. What is Mother's attitude after she hears Sammy's response to her second question?
5. What does Nanny do as Mother copes with Sammy's information?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)