|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 2, where does Nanny suggest that she be married?
(a) In their current house and be happy.
(b) At a friend's house.
(c) In her fiance's house.
(d) In the new barn.
2. As Mother remembers the promise that Father made to her, which of the following best describes her demeanor?
(a) She has Nanny make his favorite pie because she is so angry at him.
(b) Without resentment, she makes his favorite pie as she remembers that he hasn't kept his promise.
(c) She joyfully makes his favorite pie because he kept his promise to her.
(d) With determination, she refuses to make his favorite pie because he will not keep his promise to her.
3. Who is the main female character?
(a) Nanny's future mother-in-law.
(b) The minister's wife.
4. What is the best description of the story with regard to the author's writing work?
(a) It is the author's least known work.
(b) It the story that the author hated to write.
(c) It is the author's best known work.
(d) It is the story that the author loved to write.
5. What, specifically, does Mother do all day in Section 2?
(a) Works cattle.
(b) Sleeps all day and all night.
(c) Cleans house and bakes pies.
(d) Buys things that she needs for her new house.
6. Finally, what answer does Father give Mother about why the men are digging in the field?
(a) They are digging a field for the new cows.
(b) They are digging a cellar for the new house.
(c) They are digging a cellar for the new barn.
(d) They are digging a ditch so that water can reach the crops.
7. What does Nanny's confusion regarding the reason to why men are digging in the field center upon?
(a) A ditch.
(b) Another barn.
(c) A new house.
(d) A cemetery.
8. After she voices her opinion on the state of the house and barn, what is Mother's reaction to Father's response?
(a) She is silent.
(b) She is content.
(c) She is extremely angry.
(d) She is happy.
9. What is the reason given in the introduction for the protagonist's actions?
(a) To meet the deep-felt need of her husband.
(b) To meet her own deep-felt need.
(c) To meet the deep-felt need of his friends.
(d) To meet the deep-felt need of his children.
10. From the introduction, what does the reader know about how the secondary characters are going to be affected?
(a) They are going to feel beaten down by the main character's defiance.
(b) They think the main character has lost her mind.
(c) They are going win the battle.
(d) They are going to be affected by the main character's defiance.
11. How does Sammy finally respond to Mother's second question?
(a) Sammy continues to ignore his mother, despite the scolding.
(b) Sammy decide to go find his father to deal with this situation.
(c) He says that Father plans to buy more cows.
(d) He says that Father is not planning to buy more cows.
12. What is the second question Mother asks Sammy?
(a) Is Father planning to purchase additional cows?
(b) Is Father planning to go into town?
(c) Is Father planning to build a new house?
(d) Is Father planning to sell their livestock?
13. During what time in history is "The Revolt of 'Mother'" set?
(a) Ancient times.
(b) Modern times.
(c) The mid-1800s.
(d) The mid-1700s.
14. What is Mother's reaction to why the men are digging?
(a) She is very angry.
(b) She is very sad.
(c) She is very happy.
(d) She does not care one way or the other.
15. When Father answers Mother's question about what they are digging for, what is his response?
(a) He wishes she would go build a new house herself.
(b) He is building a new barn.
(c) He wishes she would go into the house and tend to her own affairs.
(d) He is building a new house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mother's attitude after she hears Sammy's response to her second question?
2. What is Father's favorite kind of pie?
3. What is Mother's description of what Father is doing regarding the family house and barn?
4. After Father goes back into the field to work following their discussion about the state of the house and barn, what does Mother do?
5. What does Nanny do as Mother copes with Sammy's information?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)