|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Mother asks Sammy the question, what does she do to Sammy?
(a) Scolds him.
(b) Makes him stand in the corner until his father arrives home.
(c) Throws him out of the house.
(d) Hugs him.
2. For how long has Sammy been aware of the new information he gives Mother?
(a) For three months.
(b) For six weeks.
(c) For six months.
(d) For three weeks.
3. What is Sammy Penn doing when Mother goes back into the house?
(a) Eating supper.
(b) Reading a book.
(c) Combing his hair.
(d) Making dinner.
4. After some bantering between Mother and Father, what occurs?
(a) Mother demands that Father come talk to her.
(b) Father walks away.
(c) Father talks to Mother right away.
(d) Father goes into the house and eats some pie.
5. After the interaction with her husband about the men digging is over, what does Mother finally do?
(a) She sits on the ground and cries.
(b) She goes back into the house.
(c) She runs after Father.
(d) She goes to her friend's house.
6. What is the promise that Mother reminds Father he made to her?
(a) To build a house before their first year of marriage was over.
(b) To build a house sometime during the first ten years of their marriage.
(c) To build her a second barn.
(d) To have more children.
7. What does Nanny do as Mother copes with Sammy's information?
(a) Bakes pies so her mother can sleep.
(b) Works on embroidery for her fall wedding.
(c) Cleans the house while her mother is in town.
(d) Helps Sammy out on the farm.
8. What answer does Mother give to Nanny's question about what the men are digging for?
(a) The cellar for a new house.
(b) A grave.
(c) A place to put a new house.
(d) A cellar for a new barn.
9. What has Nanny Penn been doing during her parents' discussion about men digging in the field?
(a) Spying on her parents' discussion.
(b) Watching her brother work.
(c) Working on her needlepoint.
(d) Watching the men dig in the field.
10. When Nanny returns to the house, what does she tell her mother?
(a) She is ashamed to get married in their house.
(b) She can't wait to get married in her fiance's house.
(c) She has decided not to get married.
(d) She is glad Father is building a new house for them.
11. What does Nanny's confusion regarding the reason to why men are digging in the field center upon?
(a) A cemetery.
(b) A new house.
(c) Another barn.
(d) A ditch.
12. When Sammy leaves in Section 2, where does Nanny go?
(a) To school with Sammy.
(b) To the store to buy more thread for her embroidery.
(c) To the store to buy more mincemeat for the pies.
(d) To the neighbor's house with Sammy.
13. After speaking outside with Father about the men digging, to where does Mother look?
(a) From the old barn to the new barn and wonders why they need a new barn.
(b) From the spot of the new barn to her existing house.
(c) At the site of the barn and realizes Father is correct.
(d) To her friend's house, which is much larger than her house.
14. As Mother observes Father's response to her questions following their bantering, what does Mother do?
(a) She throws a pie at him.
(b) She keeps on talking to him.
(c) She walks back to the house.
(d) She cries.
15. When Nanny hears Mother's answer for why the men are digging, what is her reaction?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main female character?
2. What is the best description of the story with regard to the author's writing work?
3. How does Father respond to Mother's delay in returning to the house?
4. Which of the following is the best description of the protagonist?
5. After she voices her opinion on the state of the house and barn, what is Mother's reaction to Father's response?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)