|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Father's response to Mother's questions and descriptions of the house and barn?
(a) He admits his faults and says he is sorry.
(b) He refuses to acknowledge that he has done anything wrong.
(c) He finially admits that he will build her a house.
(d) He admits that he needs to build a bigger barn.
2. In Section 2, what happens when Father returns to the house?
(a) Mother helps to build a barn.
(b) The family eats.
(c) Sammy helps to build a house.
(d) The family fights.
3. Once the bantering between Mother and Father is over, what does Mother ask?
(a) Why Father is building another house.
(b) Why Father is building another barn.
(c) Why Father is buying another horse.
(d) Why Father is building another cemetery.
4. What does the introduction imply about the ultimate conclusion to "The Revolt of 'Mother'"?
(a) The protagonist teaches his children a lesson.
(b) The protagonist is not able to convince her husband of her point of view.
(c) The protagonist gets her husband to appreciate her point of view.
(d) The protagonist ensures that his wife never defies socially acceptable behaviors again.
5. Where does Sammy go before Father can assign more chores?
(a) To the swimming hole.
(b) To the neighbor's house.
(c) To school.
(d) To town.
6. When Father answers Mother's question about what they are digging for, what is his response?
(a) He wishes she would go into the house and tend to her own affairs.
(b) He is building a new barn.
(c) He wishes she would go build a new house herself.
(d) He is building a new house.
7. Why is "The Revolt of 'Mother'" typical of this author's writing?
(a) The story provides a look at a woman and her interactions with friends.
(b) The story provides a look at a husband and his interactions with friends.
(c) The story provides a look at a child and his interactions with his mother.
(d) The story provides a look at a woman and her interactions with husband and children.
8. What was the promise that Father made to Mother?
(a) He would buy a new carriage.
(b) He would build her a new house.
(c) He would build her a new barn.
(d) He would buy a new horse.
9. What is Mother's reaction to why the men are digging?
(a) She is very angry.
(b) She is very sad.
(c) She is very happy.
(d) She does not care one way or the other.
10. From the introduction, what does the reader know about the main character?
(a) The main character will become engrossed in her relationships with her family.
(b) The the main character will have his children go against his wife.
(c) The main character will attack his minister.
(d) The main character will attack her husband.
11. How does Father respond to Mother's delay in returning to the house?
(a) He says he will tell her later why the men are digging in the field.
(b) He tells her that she needs to go into the house immediately.
(c) Father ignores Mother and puts the saddle on his horse.
(d) He goes into the house.
12. After she voices her opinion on the state of the house and barn, what is Mother's reaction to Father's response?
(a) She is silent.
(b) She is content.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is extremely angry.
13. How does Father respond to Mother's two questions following the bantering scene?
(a) He says he will do whatever he pleases.
(b) He storms away.
(c) He refuses to answer the questions.
(d) He says that they need more livestock.
14. What is Father's favorite kind of pie?
15. Who is the author of this story?
(a) Charlotte Bronte.
(b) Mary Eleanor Wilkins Freeman.
(c) Beatrix Potter.
(d) Jane Austen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the introduction to "The Revolt of 'Mother'" provide to readers?
2. When Nanny returns to the house, what does she tell her mother?
3. When Mother watches the men digging in the field, what does she ask Father?
4. What is the best description of the story with regard to the author's writing work?
5. After speaking outside with Father about the men digging, to where does Mother look?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)