|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Nanny's logic behind her confusion regarding the digging?
(a) A ditch is not nececssary because there is a river down the road.
(b) Another barn in unnecessary when their house is in such poor condition.
(c) Another house is unnecessary when the one in which they live is in such good condition.
(d) A family cemetery is not needed when everyone is healthy and young.
2. How does Father respond to Mother's reaction toward why the men are digging in the field?
(a) He leaves without saying another word to her.
(b) He hugs her and tells her not to worry about it.
(c) He screams back at her.
(d) He tells her to go into the house and keep her feelings to herself.
3. What is Mother's description of what Father is doing regarding the family house and barn?
(a) Not lodging his "dumb beasts" very well.
(b) Providing well for his family.
(c) Lodging his "dumb beasts" better than his flesh and blood.
(d) Not providing well for his family.
4. Who is the main female character?
(b) Nanny's future mother-in-law.
(d) The minister's wife.
5. In Section 2, what happens when Father returns to the house?
(a) Sammy helps to build a house.
(b) The family fights.
(c) Mother helps to build a barn.
(d) The family eats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sammy do after Mother asks him her question?
2. After Sammy's response to Mother's second question, what happens?
3. What does Mother ask Sammy when she goes back into the house after learning the reason for the digging?
4. How many years ago did Father make a promise to Mother?
5. How does Sammy finally respond to Mother's second question?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)