|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mother react the way she does to knowing why men are digging in the field?
(a) She is happy because she wants a hole in the spot they are digging.
(b) She is sad because she does not want a hole where they are digging.
(c) She does not care if there is a new hole.
(d) She is angry because the new house is supposed to go where the men are digging.
2. What is Mother's reaction to why the men are digging?
(a) She is very sad.
(b) She is very happy.
(c) She is very angry.
(d) She does not care one way or the other.
3. Which of the following is the best description of the protagonist?
(a) A male who defies social convention.
(b) A female who defies social convention.
(c) A female who upholds social convention at all costs.
(d) A male who upholds social convention at all costs.
4. Which of the following best describes Nanny's logic behind her confusion regarding the digging?
(a) Another house is unnecessary when the one in which they live is in such good condition.
(b) Another barn in unnecessary when their house is in such poor condition.
(c) A ditch is not nececssary because there is a river down the road.
(d) A family cemetery is not needed when everyone is healthy and young.
5. Of the following, what is the most accurate description of "The Revolt of 'Mother'"?
(a) It is frightening.
(b) It is sad.
(c) It is typical of the author's writing.
(d) It is not typical of the author's writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Nanny Penn been doing during her parents' discussion about men digging in the field?
2. What does the protagonist NOT defy?
3. What is the reason given in the introduction for the protagonist's actions?
4. At first, how does Sammy respond to Mother's second question?
5. How does Father respond to Mother's delay in returning to the house?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)