|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Nanny's logic behind her confusion regarding the digging?
(a) Another barn in unnecessary when their house is in such poor condition.
(b) A ditch is not nececssary because there is a river down the road.
(c) Another house is unnecessary when the one in which they live is in such good condition.
(d) A family cemetery is not needed when everyone is healthy and young.
2. From the introduction, how does the reader know that the protagonist will defy social convention?
(a) He goes against his children's will.
(b) She goes against her daughter's will.
(c) He goes against his wife's will.
(d) She goes against her husband's will.
3. What does the introduction to "The Revolt of 'Mother'" provide to readers?
(a) An anticipation as to what is coming in the story.
(b) Nothing about the story.
(c) An analysis of the story.
(d) The conclusion to the story.
4. Mother's attitude changes after Sammy provides her with information. What is the best description of this changed attitude?
(a) Excitement about the future.
(c) Calmness by remembering that her childhood home wasn't much better.
(d) Calmness by reminding herself that Father is a good father and that their house is just fine.
5. What is Mother's attitude after she hears Sammy's response to her second question?
(a) She is sad and goes into her room to cry.
(b) She is angry and goes outside so she can find Father and yell at him.
(c) She is happy and says she is glad Father is buying more cows.
(d) She is angry and says that women are not supposed to complain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following makes "The Revolt of 'Mother'" atypical of the author's usual writing style?
2. What is Sammy Penn doing when Mother goes back into the house?
3. At first, how does Sammy respond to Mother's second question?
4. What does Sammy do after Mother asks him her question?
5. After the interaction with her husband about the men digging is over, what does Mother finally do?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)