|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Mother is watched during her reaction to the arrival at the farm, what best describes the reaction of the individuals watching her?
2. How does Mother cope with Sammy's information?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She thinks deep thoughts.
(c) She gossips with her friends.
(d) She falls asleep.
3. How does the author describe Mother in the scene following the arrival at the farm?
(a) As a simple and pious New England mother.
(b) As an angry and bitter New England mother.
(c) As a gracious and hard-working wife.
(d) As a sweet and genteel Southern wife.
4. What was the promise that Father made to Mother?
(a) He would build her a new barn.
(b) He would buy a new carriage.
(c) He would buy a new horse.
(d) He would build her a new house.
5. As Mother remembers the promise that Father made to her, which of the following best describes her demeanor?
(a) Without resentment, she makes his favorite pie as she remembers that he hasn't kept his promise.
(b) She joyfully makes his favorite pie because he kept his promise to her.
(c) She has Nanny make his favorite pie because she is so angry at him.
(d) With determination, she refuses to make his favorite pie because he will not keep his promise to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sammy finally respond to Mother's second question?
2. After Father goes back into the field to work following their discussion about the state of the house and barn, what does Mother do?
3. How does Mother explain to her visitor how she received her answer about what actions to take?
4. After Sammy's response to Mother's second question, what happens?
5. When Mother is talking to Father about their house, what is it that she cannot comprehend?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)