|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother ask Sammy when she goes back into the house after learning the reason for the digging?
(a) If he was aware that his father was planning to build a new house.
(b) If he was aware that his father was planning to build a new barn.
(c) If he wants more supper.
(d) What his book is about.
2. How does the author describe Mother in the scene following the arrival at the farm?
(a) As a gracious and hard-working wife.
(b) As a sweet and genteel Southern wife.
(c) As a simple and pious New England mother.
(d) As an angry and bitter New England mother.
3. In Section 2, where does Nanny suggest that she be married?
(a) In her fiance's house.
(b) In the new barn.
(c) At a friend's house.
(d) In their current house and be happy.
4. What answer does Mother give to Nanny's question about what the men are digging for?
(a) The cellar for a new house.
(b) A place to put a new house.
(c) A cellar for a new barn.
(d) A grave.
5. How many years ago did Father make a promise to Mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sammy finally respond to Mother's second question?
2. After the interaction with her husband about the men digging is over, what does Mother finally do?
3. Mother's attitude changes after Sammy provides her with information. What is the best description of this changed attitude?
4. After Father goes back into the field to work following their discussion about the state of the house and barn, what does Mother do?
5. What is the best description of the current state of the barn that exists on the farm?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)