|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to the hospital for a visit and is turned away?
(a) The King.
(c) Katherine's mother.
2. What does Ambrose tell Merivel?
(a) That he must commit to become a Quaker.
(b) That he must stop practicing medicine.
(c) That he must leave Whittlesea.
(d) That he must begin working at manual labor in the grounds.
3. What do the female patients do for exercise?
(a) Walk and skip around an oak tree.
(b) Play hide and go seek.
(c) Play a game with an imaginary ball.
(d) Play tennis on the lawn.
4. What natural alternative treatments does Merivel think of for extracting fluids?
(a) Vomitting and weeping.
(b) Pissing and vomiting.
(c) Sweating and weeping.
(d) Sweating and pissing.
5. Who are the two people Merivel says he has truly loved?
(a) Celia and Pearce.
(b) Pearce and the King.
(c) Violet and the King.
(d) Violet and Celia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Merivel's sexual encounter with Katherine?
2. How does Pearce feel about Merivel being at the hospital?
3. Who is in the house when Merivel emerges from his illness?
4. What is written on the gate?
5. Who does Merivel mistake for his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What act of bravery does Merivel commit?
2. Who makes up the staff of Whittlesea Hospital?
3. How does the King feel about Merivel, after time has passed?
4. How does Merivel feel about Bath?
5. What does the King advise Merivel to do with his life?
6. What does the staff of the hospital decide to do because of the plague?
7. How does Merivel react to Katherine's death?
8. How does Merivel feel about Pearce?
9. Describe the signs that end up hanging outside Frances Elizabeth's house.
10. What does Pearce wonder about flowers?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)