|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What date does the dance finally occur?
(a) September 30.
(b) August 30.
(c) June 30.
(d) July 30.
2. What has happened to Katherine?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is hallucinating.
(c) She has tried to kill herself a second time.
(d) She is ill with the plague.
3. What does Ambrose make Merivel do before passing through the gate?
(a) Answer a riddle.
(b) Write an inscription on the gate.
(c) Read the writing on the gate.
(d) Give proof of his identity.
4. What is the straw resting-place for the doll called?
(a) The nest.
(b) The manger.
5. Who comes to the hospital for a visit and is turned away?
(c) The King.
(d) Katherine's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merivel buy in preparation for seeing the King?
2. After leaving London, who does Merivel go to see?
3. Who does Merivel go to after leaving the manor for good?
4. What effect does the plague have on the patients in the hospital?
5. What does Merivel name the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What act of bravery does Merivel commit?
2. How does Merivel treat Katherine on their journey?
3. What does Merivel discover when he examines Pearce?
4. How does Merivel feel about Bath?
5. What does the King advise Merivel to do with his life?
6. How does the King feel about Merivel, after time has passed?
7. What does Pearce wonder about flowers?
8. How does Katherine react to the world outside the hospital?
9. Who makes up the staff of Whittlesea Hospital?
10. Describe the music at the dance.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)