|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Willett's profession?
2. What does Gemmy do when he discovers that he cannot extinguish the fire in Willett's home?
3. Which two characters meet in this chapter?
4. What awakens Ellen at the beginning of this chapter?
5. How does Jock feel about the strange occurrences around his farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lachlan's relationship with Gemmy change over time?
2. How does George Abbot trick Gemmy in this chapter? Why does he do this?
3. Describe the event that caused Willett's death.
4. Describe what happens to Janet in this chapter when she removes her bonnet and veil while beekeeping.
5. Describe how Gemmy's strength is restored during his visit with the natives.
6. What does Janet realize on the night depicted in this chapter that makes her feel she has become an adult?
7. How have Mr. Frazer's views on botany changed since Gemmy has come to the settlement?
8. How does Mr. Frazer react when Jim Sweetman refuses the native fruit? How does this contrast with his views on native plants at the end of the chapter?
9. How does Gemmy help Mrs. Hutchence with her beekeeping?
10. What is Sir George's vision for Queensland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes Remembering Babylon explores is the impact of the past on the present.
1) Describe at least three scenes where this theme is developed.
2) Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme.
3) Critique the author's viewpoint on this theme. Do you agree or disagree with his beliefs? Why?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the settlers in this novel. How are each of the settlers similar/different? Then discuss why you think the author presents this variety of characters in the novel. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The setting of Remembering Babylon strongly influences the plot of the novel. Discuss the role that the setting plays in this novel. Focus on how it influences the choices and actions of the characters. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)