|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jock feel about the strange occurrences around his farm?
(a) He feels confused.
(b) He feels angry and violent.
(c) He feels hurt and betrayed.
(d) He feels vindicated.
2. What surprises Mr. Frazer about Brisbane?
(a) It is remarkably small.
(b) It is uncivilized.
(c) It is very remote.
(d) It is busy and dirty.
3. What does Mr. Frazer suggest that the government plant in Queensland?
(a) Native orchards
(c) European plants
4. How does Mrs. Hutchence remove the bees from Janet when they swarm her?
(a) She swats at them.
(b) She sprays them with bee killer.
(c) She catches them in a net.
(d) She smokes them.
5. What does Mr. Frazer want to do as a result of his botany work?
(a) Become a professional botanist
(b) Preserve the native ecology
(c) Move into the woods with the aborigines
(d) Return to England
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the McIvor children stands outside with Ellen as she waits for Jock to return?
2. What did the natives give Gemmy when they visited him?
3. When do the events in this chapter take place?
4. Where does Jock sleep after the attack on Gemmy?
5. Which of the McIvors is most enraged by the incident with the geese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gemmy desperate to get "his papers" back from George and Mr. Frazer?
2. What did Gemmy do that affected Janet and Lachlan's lives?
3. How does Gemmy help Mrs. Hutchence with her beekeeping?
4. Describe the two events that happen in this chapter which unnerve Jock.
5. How does Lachlan's relationship with Gemmy change over time?
6. Describe how Gemmy's strength is restored during his visit with the natives.
7. Describe what happens to Janet in this chapter when she removes her bonnet and veil while beekeeping.
8. What is Sir George's vision for Queensland?
9. What does Janet realize on the night depicted in this chapter that makes her feel she has become an adult?
10. How do Lachlan's relationships with the other settler children change over time? What causes this change?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)