|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jock relieved when the mob disperses?
(a) He does not want the neighbors to be upset with him.
(b) He would have had to kill one of them if he saw them.
(c) He is glad Gemmy is unharmed.
(d) He does not have to see who attacked Gemmy.
2. Who rescues Gemmy from the mob?
(a) Mr. Frazer
(d) The natives
3. Where has Mr. Frazer taken Gemmy's papers?
(a) To England
(b) To the McIvors
(c) To the aborigines
(d) To Brisbane
4. What does Janet believe happens to her on the night depicted in this chapter?
(a) She sees Gemmy as her brother.
(b) She realizes the evil of men.
(c) She develops respect for her father.
(d) She becomes an adult.
5. What does Gemmy do with "his papers"?
(a) He lets the rain wash the ink off of them.
(b) He buries them in the ground.
(c) He takes them to Mrs. Hutchence.
(d) He puts them in the swamp.
6. What does Gemmy do when he discovers that he cannot extinguish the fire in Willett's home?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He drags Willett from the house.
(c) He goes to a neighbor for help.
(d) He calls the fire department.
7. What does Lachlan promise Gemmy after his visit to Mrs. Hutchence's?
(a) Lachlan promises he will never let Gemmy be hurt again.
(b) Lachlan promises to restore his friendship with Gemmy.
(c) Lachlan promises he will defend Gemmy in the future.
(d) Lachlan promises he will return to visit Gemmy again.
8. Who does Mr. Frazer credit with his expanded interest in botany?
(a) The aborigines
(c) George Abbot
(d) Jock McIvor
9. What does Lachlan find at the site where the "dispersal" supposedly took place?
(a) An aborigine settlement
(b) Bones that appear to have belonged to children
(c) Gemmy's papers
10. What does Gemmy hope to get from George Abbot?
(a) His stone
(b) His clothes
(c) His papers
11. What is Sir George's response to Mr. Frazer's plan?
(a) He eagerly embraces it.
(b) He expresses interest in it.
(c) He views it as a threat.
(d) He dismisses it.
12. What do the settlers put on the McIvors' fence?
13. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
(a) A neutral one
(b) No impact
(c) A negative one
(d) A positive one
14. What does Mrs. Hutchence give Gemmy that sparks memories of his childhood?
(b) A stone
(c) A bed
(d) A chest
15. What does Mr. Frazer begin writing about in this chapter?
(a) Gemmy's history
(b) The use of native plants rather than importing items from Europe
(d) The attack on Gemmy
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Mr. Frazer about Brisbane?
2. How does Gemmy react to the attack on the geese?
3. How did Willett treat Gemmy when he lived with him?
4. What happens when Gemmy wakens from his nightmare?
5. How does Lachlan feel when he visits Gemmy at Mrs. Hutchence's house?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)