|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Willett treat Gemmy when he lived with him?
(a) He was abusive towards Gemmy.
(b) He treated Gemmy like a son.
(c) He ignored and neglected Gemmy.
(d) He was loving towards Gemmy.
2. What does Mr. Frazer suggest that the government plant in Queensland?
(a) Native orchards
(c) European plants
3. Who is George Abbot thinking of when Gemmy arrives at the schoolhouse?
(a) His godfather
(c) Mr. Frazer
4. Why does Lachlan stop protecting Gemmy?
(a) He wants to fit in with the other children.
(b) He sees Gemmy can protect himself.
(c) He begins to dislike Gemmy.
(d) Gemmy moves to Mrs. Hutchence's home.
5. What impresses Gemmy about Mr. Frazer?
(a) His drawing skills
(b) His commitment to the land
(c) His relationship with the settlers
(d) His kindness towards Gemmy
6. Who is the only child at the settlement whom Lachlan becomes close with?
7. Who does Lachlan talk to when trying to locate Gemmy?
(a) The settlers
(b) The natives
(c) George Abbot
(d) Mrs. Hutchence and Leona
8. Which of the McIvors is most enraged by the incident with the geese?
9. What does Lachlan promise Gemmy after his visit to Mrs. Hutchence's?
(a) Lachlan promises he will return to visit Gemmy again.
(b) Lachlan promises he will never let Gemmy be hurt again.
(c) Lachlan promises he will defend Gemmy in the future.
(d) Lachlan promises to restore his friendship with Gemmy.
10. What surprises Mr. Frazer about Brisbane?
(a) It is very remote.
(b) It is uncivilized.
(c) It is remarkably small.
(d) It is busy and dirty.
11. What does the mob do when Jock approaches them near the creek?
(a) They attack him.
(b) They begin beating Gemmy.
(c) They run away.
(d) They yell at him to step away.
12. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
(a) A negative one
(b) A neutral one
(c) No impact
(d) A positive one
13. What is Sir George's role in Queensland?
(a) To make the country into a self-governing state
(b) To ensure that England's interests are protected
(c) To remove the native population
(d) To help settlers begin their farms
14. What does Gemmy do when he discovers that he cannot extinguish the fire in Willett's home?
(a) He drags Willett from the house.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He goes to a neighbor for help.
(d) He calls the fire department.
15. What was Willett's profession?
(a) He was a landlord.
(b) He ran an orphanage.
(c) He was a rat catcher.
(d) He was a dog catcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gemmy do with the hunting ferrets one night when Willett passes out drunk?
2. Why does Lachlan not find out about the attack on Gemmy until the next day?
3. What does Gemmy hope to get from George Abbot?
4. What role does Lachlan initially take with Gemmy?
5. How does Jock feel about having to confront the person who damaged his fence?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)