|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
(a) A negative one
(b) A neutral one
(c) A positive one
(d) No impact
2. Who is the only child at the settlement whom Lachlan becomes close with?
3. Who does Mr. Frazer credit with his expanded interest in botany?
(a) George Abbot
(b) Jock McIvor
(c) The aborigines
4. Where does Jock sleep after the attack on Gemmy?
(a) On the front porch of the hut
(b) In his bed
(c) He does not sleep
(d) In Gemmy's lean-to
5. Why does Lachlan not find out about the attack on Gemmy until the next day?
(a) The McIvors want to protect him.
(b) He was out with friends when it happened.
(c) He slept through the incident.
(d) His classmates are afraid to tell him about the incident.
6. What strikes Janet most about Mrs. Hutchence's demeanor when working with the bees?
(a) Her skill
(b) Her bravery
(c) Her enthusiasm
(d) Her excitement
7. What does Gemmy do when he discovers that he cannot extinguish the fire in Willett's home?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He goes to a neighbor for help.
(c) He drags Willett from the house.
(d) He calls the fire department.
8. How did Willett treat Gemmy when he lived with him?
(a) He was loving towards Gemmy.
(b) He ignored and neglected Gemmy.
(c) He treated Gemmy like a son.
(d) He was abusive towards Gemmy.
9. How does Gemmy feel after receiving the gift from the aborigines?
(a) Excited and anxious
(b) Confused and upset
(c) Refreshed and strengthened
(d) Agitated and angry
10. What does Mr. Frazer suggest that the government plant in Queensland?
(a) European plants
(c) Native orchards
11. How does Gemmy react to the attack on the geese?
(a) He becomes withdrawn.
(b) He becomes violent.
(c) He becomes more vocal.
(d) He becomes enraged.
12. How does Mrs. Hutchence remove the bees from Janet when they swarm her?
(a) She smokes them.
(b) She sprays them with bee killer.
(c) She catches them in a net.
(d) She swats at them.
13. What was Willett's profession?
(a) He was a rat catcher.
(b) He was a dog catcher.
(c) He was a landlord.
(d) He ran an orphanage.
14. How does Lachlan feel when he visits Gemmy at Mrs. Hutchence's house?
15. Who assists Gemmy in finding a new home after he is attacked?
(b) Mrs. Hutchence
(c) Mrs. Frazer
(d) Mr. Frazer
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters meet in this chapter?
2. What does Gemmy hope to get from George Abbot?
3. Where has Mr. Frazer taken Gemmy's papers?
4. What role does Lachlan initially take with Gemmy?
5. Who rescues Gemmy from the mob?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)