|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Gemmy wakens from his nightmare?
(a) He realizes it was a premonition.
(b) He realizes that it was only a dream.
(c) He realizes what he dreamed is actually happening.
(d) He realizes he is somewhere else.
2. What does Gemmy do when he discovers that he cannot extinguish the fire in Willett's home?
(a) He goes to a neighbor for help.
(b) He calls the fire department.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He drags Willett from the house.
3. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
(a) A positive one
(b) A neutral one
(c) A negative one
(d) No impact
4. How does Mrs. Hutchence remove the bees from Janet when they swarm her?
(a) She catches them in a net.
(b) She sprays them with bee killer.
(c) She smokes them.
(d) She swats at them.
5. Why is Jock relieved when the mob disperses?
(a) He does not want the neighbors to be upset with him.
(b) He would have had to kill one of them if he saw them.
(c) He does not have to see who attacked Gemmy.
(d) He is glad Gemmy is unharmed.
6. How does Gemmy react to the attack on the geese?
(a) He becomes withdrawn.
(b) He becomes more vocal.
(c) He becomes enraged.
(d) He becomes violent.
7. Who does Mr. Frazer go to Brisbane to meet with?
(a) Jock McIvor
(b) George Abbot
(c) Sir George
(d) The King of England
8. What does Mrs. Hutchence give Gemmy that sparks memories of his childhood?
(a) A bed
(b) A chest
(d) A stone
9. What did the natives give Gemmy when they visited him?
(a) A weapon
(b) Soil and water
(d) A stone
10. When do the events in this chapter take place?
(a) 5 months after Gemmy left the settlement
(b) 15 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(c) 50 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(d) 5 years after Gemmy left the settlement
11. How did Willett treat Gemmy when he lived with him?
(a) He was abusive towards Gemmy.
(b) He was loving towards Gemmy.
(c) He treated Gemmy like a son.
(d) He ignored and neglected Gemmy.
12. Which of the McIvor children stands outside with Ellen as she waits for Jock to return?
13. What does Janet believe happens to her on the night depicted in this chapter?
(a) She realizes the evil of men.
(b) She develops respect for her father.
(c) She sees Gemmy as her brother.
(d) She becomes an adult.
14. What is Mrs. Hutchence's hobby?
15. How does Janet feel when the swarm of bees surrounds her unprotected body one day?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the settlers put on the McIvors' fence?
2. What strikes Janet most about Mrs. Hutchence's demeanor when working with the bees?
3. Which of the McIvors is most enraged by the incident with the geese?
4. Who does Lachlan talk to when trying to locate Gemmy?
5. Which of the McIvors helps Mrs. Hutchence with her hobby?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)