|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strikes Janet most about Mrs. Hutchence's demeanor when working with the bees?
(a) Her excitement
(b) Her enthusiasm
(c) Her skill
(d) Her bravery
2. When do the events in this chapter take place?
(a) 5 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(b) 5 months after Gemmy left the settlement
(c) 15 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(d) 50 years after Gemmy left the settlement
3. How does Gemmy react to the attack on the geese?
(a) He becomes withdrawn.
(b) He becomes more vocal.
(c) He becomes violent.
(d) He becomes enraged.
4. Who does Gemmy start dreaming about in this chapter?
(c) The natives
(d) Mosey and the Irish
5. How did Willett treat Gemmy when he lived with him?
(a) He treated Gemmy like a son.
(b) He ignored and neglected Gemmy.
(c) He was loving towards Gemmy.
(d) He was abusive towards Gemmy.
6. What does Mrs. Hutchence give Gemmy that sparks memories of his childhood?
(a) A chest
(b) A bed
(c) A stone
7. Who is George Abbot thinking of when Gemmy arrives at the schoolhouse?
(c) His godfather
(d) Mr. Frazer
8. What did the natives give Gemmy when they visited him?
(a) Soil and water
(b) A weapon
(d) A stone
9. What is Sir George's role in Queensland?
(a) To remove the native population
(b) To help settlers begin their farms
(c) To make the country into a self-governing state
(d) To ensure that England's interests are protected
10. What does Gemmy do when he discovers that he cannot extinguish the fire in Willett's home?
(a) He drags Willett from the house.
(b) He goes to a neighbor for help.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He calls the fire department.
11. What does Gemmy believe will happen if a person ignores someone who only wants attention?
(a) He will go away.
(b) He will no longer want attention.
(c) He will become invisible.
(d) He will get the attention he wants.
12. Who does Lachlan talk to when trying to locate Gemmy?
(a) The settlers
(b) George Abbot
(c) Mrs. Hutchence and Leona
(d) The natives
13. What was Willett's profession?
(a) He was a landlord.
(b) He was a dog catcher.
(c) He was a rat catcher.
(d) He ran an orphanage.
14. Which of the McIvors is most enraged by the incident with the geese?
15. Which of the McIvor children stands outside with Ellen as she waits for Jock to return?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Frazer credit with his expanded interest in botany?
2. What happens when Gemmy wakens from his nightmare?
3. What does the mob do when Jock approaches them near the creek?
4. Which of the McIvors helps Mrs. Hutchence with her hobby?
5. What does Lachlan find at the site where the "dispersal" supposedly took place?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)