|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gemmy do when he discovers that he cannot extinguish the fire in Willett's home?
(a) He calls the fire department.
(b) He goes to a neighbor for help.
(c) He drags Willett from the house.
(d) He runs away.
2. How did Willett treat Gemmy when he lived with him?
(a) He was abusive towards Gemmy.
(b) He ignored and neglected Gemmy.
(c) He treated Gemmy like a son.
(d) He was loving towards Gemmy.
3. What happens when Gemmy wakens from his nightmare?
(a) He realizes what he dreamed is actually happening.
(b) He realizes it was a premonition.
(c) He realizes that it was only a dream.
(d) He realizes he is somewhere else.
4. How does Jock feel about having to confront the person who damaged his fence?
5. What impresses Gemmy about Mr. Frazer?
(a) His drawing skills
(b) His commitment to the land
(c) His relationship with the settlers
(d) His kindness towards Gemmy
6. Where does Jock sleep after the attack on Gemmy?
(a) In his bed
(b) On the front porch of the hut
(c) In Gemmy's lean-to
(d) He does not sleep
7. How does Gemmy feel after receiving the gift from the aborigines?
(a) Confused and upset
(b) Agitated and angry
(c) Refreshed and strengthened
(d) Excited and anxious
8. How does Mrs. Hutchence remove the bees from Janet when they swarm her?
(a) She catches them in a net.
(b) She swats at them.
(c) She smokes them.
(d) She sprays them with bee killer.
9. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
(a) A positive one
(b) A neutral one
(c) A negative one
(d) No impact
10. Who does Gemmy start dreaming about in this chapter?
(a) The natives
(d) Mosey and the Irish
11. What was Willett's profession?
(a) He was a rat catcher.
(b) He was a landlord.
(c) He was a dog catcher.
(d) He ran an orphanage.
12. What does Mr. Frazer want to do as a result of his botany work?
(a) Become a professional botanist
(b) Move into the woods with the aborigines
(c) Return to England
(d) Preserve the native ecology
13. Where does Janet live in this chapter?
(a) In Brisbane
(b) In the old settlement
(c) In a convent
(d) In Mrs. Hutchence's old home
14. What does the mob do when Jock approaches them near the creek?
(a) They run away.
(b) They attack him.
(c) They begin beating Gemmy.
(d) They yell at him to step away.
15. Who does Gemmy move in with after he is attacked?
(a) The McIvors
(b) George Abbot
(c) Mr. & Mrs. Frazer
(d) Mrs. Hutchence
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lachlan feel when he visits Gemmy at Mrs. Hutchence's house?
2. What event causes Jock to stop visiting his neighbors?
3. What does Gemmy hope to get from George Abbot?
4. What does Gemmy do with "his papers"?
5. Who does Mr. Frazer credit with his expanded interest in botany?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)