|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Mr. Frazer about Brisbane?
(a) It is remarkably small.
(b) It is very remote.
(c) It is uncivilized.
(d) It is busy and dirty.
2. What does Gemmy do with "his papers"?
(a) He buries them in the ground.
(b) He puts them in the swamp.
(c) He takes them to Mrs. Hutchence.
(d) He lets the rain wash the ink off of them.
3. What does George give Gemmy instead of his papers?
(a) Letters from Leona
(b) Blank paper
(c) A book
(d) Homework papers
4. Who does Mr. Frazer attempt to tell Sir George about?
(a) The McIvors
(c) George Abbot
(d) The aborigines
5. What does Gemmy do when he discovers that he cannot extinguish the fire in Willett's home?
(a) He goes to a neighbor for help.
(b) He calls the fire department.
(c) He drags Willett from the house.
(d) He runs away.
6. How does Gemmy react to the attack on the geese?
(a) He becomes withdrawn.
(b) He becomes more vocal.
(c) He becomes enraged.
(d) He becomes violent.
7. What does Gemmy hope to get from George Abbot?
(a) His stone
(b) His papers
(c) His clothes
8. What was Willett's profession?
(a) He was a landlord.
(b) He ran an orphanage.
(c) He was a rat catcher.
(d) He was a dog catcher.
9. What is Mrs. Hutchence's hobby?
10. What does Mrs. Hutchence give Gemmy that sparks memories of his childhood?
(a) A chest
(b) A bed
(c) A stone
11. Where does Janet live in this chapter?
(a) In Brisbane
(b) In a convent
(c) In the old settlement
(d) In Mrs. Hutchence's old home
12. Why is Jock relieved when the mob disperses?
(a) He is glad Gemmy is unharmed.
(b) He would have had to kill one of them if he saw them.
(c) He does not have to see who attacked Gemmy.
(d) He does not want the neighbors to be upset with him.
13. What is the only name that George Abbot recognizes in Gemmy's description of what he wants from the teacher?
14. What does Mr. Frazer suggest that the government plant in Queensland?
(a) European plants
(d) Native orchards
15. What does Mr. Frazer want to do as a result of his botany work?
(a) Return to England
(b) Move into the woods with the aborigines
(c) Preserve the native ecology
(d) Become a professional botanist
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lachlan talk to when trying to locate Gemmy?
2. What does Gemmy believe will happen if a person ignores someone who only wants attention?
3. Why does Lachlan stop protecting Gemmy?
4. Which of the McIvor children stands outside with Ellen as she waits for Jock to return?
5. Who rescues Gemmy from the mob?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)