|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the settlers put on the McIvors' fence?
2. Which two characters meet in this chapter?
(a) Janet and Lachlan
(b) Janet and Gemmy
(c) Lachlan, Gemmy and Janet
(d) Lachlan and Gemmy
3. What awakens Ellen at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) Jock getting up and leaving the bed
(b) Bumps against the wall of the hut
(c) Gemmy's yells
(d) A knock at the front door of the hut
4. What does George give Gemmy instead of his papers?
(a) Blank paper
(b) Homework papers
(c) A book
(d) Letters from Leona
5. Who does Gemmy start dreaming about in this chapter?
(a) The natives
(b) Mosey and the Irish
6. Which of the McIvors is most enraged by the incident with the geese?
7. How does Gemmy react to the attack on the geese?
(a) He becomes violent.
(b) He becomes enraged.
(c) He becomes more vocal.
(d) He becomes withdrawn.
8. Who assists Gemmy in finding a new home after he is attacked?
(a) Mrs. Hutchence
(c) Mrs. Frazer
(d) Mr. Frazer
9. What does Lachlan find at the site where the "dispersal" supposedly took place?
(b) Gemmy's papers
(c) Bones that appear to have belonged to children
(d) An aborigine settlement
10. What strikes Janet most about Mrs. Hutchence's demeanor when working with the bees?
(a) Her excitement
(b) Her enthusiasm
(c) Her skill
(d) Her bravery
11. Why does Lachlan not find out about the attack on Gemmy until the next day?
(a) The McIvors want to protect him.
(b) He was out with friends when it happened.
(c) He slept through the incident.
(d) His classmates are afraid to tell him about the incident.
12. What does Lachlan promise Gemmy after his visit to Mrs. Hutchence's?
(a) Lachlan promises he will defend Gemmy in the future.
(b) Lachlan promises to restore his friendship with Gemmy.
(c) Lachlan promises he will never let Gemmy be hurt again.
(d) Lachlan promises he will return to visit Gemmy again.
13. What does the mob do when Jock approaches them near the creek?
(a) They run away.
(b) They attack him.
(c) They yell at him to step away.
(d) They begin beating Gemmy.
14. When do the events in this chapter take place?
(a) 50 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(b) 5 months after Gemmy left the settlement
(c) 5 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(d) 15 years after Gemmy left the settlement
15. What happens when Gemmy wakens from his nightmare?
(a) He realizes what he dreamed is actually happening.
(b) He realizes he is somewhere else.
(c) He realizes it was a premonition.
(d) He realizes that it was only a dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Frazer attempt to tell Sir George about?
2. What surprises Mr. Frazer about Brisbane?
3. What does Mrs. Hutchence give Gemmy that sparks memories of his childhood?
4. Who does Mr. Frazer credit with his expanded interest in botany?
5. How does Lachlan feel when he visits Gemmy at Mrs. Hutchence's house?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)