|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Gemmy wakens from his nightmare?
(a) He realizes that it was only a dream.
(b) He realizes he is somewhere else.
(c) He realizes it was a premonition.
(d) He realizes what he dreamed is actually happening.
2. What did the natives give Gemmy when they visited him?
(b) A stone
(c) Soil and water
(d) A weapon
3. What does Janet believe happens to her on the night depicted in this chapter?
(a) She realizes the evil of men.
(b) She becomes an adult.
(c) She develops respect for her father.
(d) She sees Gemmy as her brother.
4. Why is Jock relieved when the mob disperses?
(a) He does not have to see who attacked Gemmy.
(b) He would have had to kill one of them if he saw them.
(c) He is glad Gemmy is unharmed.
(d) He does not want the neighbors to be upset with him.
5. What awakens Ellen at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) Jock getting up and leaving the bed
(b) Gemmy's yells
(c) A knock at the front door of the hut
(d) Bumps against the wall of the hut
6. How long did Gemmy remain at sea?
(a) Two years
(b) Two months
(c) Two days
(d) Two decades
7. What do the settlers put on the McIvors' fence?
8. What does Gemmy do with the hunting ferrets one night when Willett passes out drunk?
(a) He kills them.
(b) He releases them from their cages.
(c) He feeds them treats.
(d) He sets them on fire.
9. Who does Mr. Frazer credit with his expanded interest in botany?
(a) The aborigines
(c) Jock McIvor
(d) George Abbot
10. Which of the McIvors helps Mrs. Hutchence with her hobby?
11. What was Willett's profession?
(a) He was a rat catcher.
(b) He ran an orphanage.
(c) He was a landlord.
(d) He was a dog catcher.
12. What does Gemmy hope to get from George Abbot?
(b) His papers
(c) His clothes
(d) His stone
13. What does Mr. Frazer suggest that the government plant in Queensland?
(b) European plants
(c) Native orchards
14. How does Jock feel about having to confront the person who damaged his fence?
15. What is the only name that George Abbot recognizes in Gemmy's description of what he wants from the teacher?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mob do when Jock approaches them near the creek?
2. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
3. How does Gemmy react to the attack on the geese?
4. What does Mr. Frazer begin writing about in this chapter?
5. Where does Jock sleep after the attack on Gemmy?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)