|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Janet live in this chapter?
(a) In the old settlement
(b) In Brisbane
(c) In Mrs. Hutchence's old home
(d) In a convent
2. What does Mr. Frazer suggest that the government plant in Queensland?
(a) Native orchards
(d) European plants
3. When do the events in this chapter take place?
(a) 5 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(b) 15 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(c) 50 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(d) 5 months after Gemmy left the settlement
4. How did Willett treat Gemmy when he lived with him?
(a) He was abusive towards Gemmy.
(b) He ignored and neglected Gemmy.
(c) He was loving towards Gemmy.
(d) He treated Gemmy like a son.
5. What is Mrs. Hutchence's hobby?
6. What does Gemmy do with "his papers"?
(a) He takes them to Mrs. Hutchence.
(b) He lets the rain wash the ink off of them.
(c) He buries them in the ground.
(d) He puts them in the swamp.
7. How does Mrs. Hutchence remove the bees from Janet when they swarm her?
(a) She sprays them with bee killer.
(b) She swats at them.
(c) She smokes them.
(d) She catches them in a net.
8. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
(a) A positive one
(b) A negative one
(c) A neutral one
(d) No impact
9. What impresses Gemmy about Mr. Frazer?
(a) His kindness towards Gemmy
(b) His relationship with the settlers
(c) His drawing skills
(d) His commitment to the land
10. What does Lachlan promise Gemmy after his visit to Mrs. Hutchence's?
(a) Lachlan promises he will return to visit Gemmy again.
(b) Lachlan promises he will never let Gemmy be hurt again.
(c) Lachlan promises to restore his friendship with Gemmy.
(d) Lachlan promises he will defend Gemmy in the future.
11. Why is Jock relieved when the mob disperses?
(a) He does not have to see who attacked Gemmy.
(b) He would have had to kill one of them if he saw them.
(c) He is glad Gemmy is unharmed.
(d) He does not want the neighbors to be upset with him.
12. What does Mrs. Hutchence give Gemmy that sparks memories of his childhood?
(a) A bed
(c) A stone
(d) A chest
13. Who does Mr. Frazer attempt to tell Sir George about?
(a) George Abbot
(b) The McIvors
(c) The aborigines
14. Who does Gemmy move in with after he is attacked?
(a) Mrs. Hutchence
(b) The McIvors
(c) George Abbot
(d) Mr. & Mrs. Frazer
15. What does Janet believe happens to her on the night depicted in this chapter?
(a) She realizes the evil of men.
(b) She sees Gemmy as her brother.
(c) She develops respect for her father.
(d) She becomes an adult.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Willett's profession?
2. What strikes Janet most about Mrs. Hutchence's demeanor when working with the bees?
3. What does Gemmy do with the hunting ferrets one night when Willett passes out drunk?
4. How does Gemmy react to the attack on the geese?
5. What role does Lachlan initially take with Gemmy?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)