|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the mob do when Jock approaches them near the creek?
(a) They yell at him to step away.
(b) They begin beating Gemmy.
(c) They run away.
(d) They attack him.
2. How long did Gemmy remain at sea?
(a) Two months
(b) Two days
(c) Two decades
(d) Two years
3. Who does Gemmy start dreaming about in this chapter?
(a) The natives
(d) Mosey and the Irish
4. What does Gemmy hope to get from George Abbot?
(b) His clothes
(c) His papers
(d) His stone
5. What does Mr. Frazer want to do as a result of his botany work?
(a) Move into the woods with the aborigines
(b) Preserve the native ecology
(c) Become a professional botanist
(d) Return to England
6. Where does Jock sleep after the attack on Gemmy?
(a) On the front porch of the hut
(b) In Gemmy's lean-to
(c) He does not sleep
(d) In his bed
7. What happens when Gemmy wakens from his nightmare?
(a) He realizes that it was only a dream.
(b) He realizes it was a premonition.
(c) He realizes what he dreamed is actually happening.
(d) He realizes he is somewhere else.
8. Where does Janet live in this chapter?
(a) In the old settlement
(b) In Brisbane
(c) In a convent
(d) In Mrs. Hutchence's old home
9. How does Jock feel about having to confront the person who damaged his fence?
10. Which of the McIvors is most enraged by the incident with the geese?
11. What does Mr. Frazer begin writing about in this chapter?
(a) The use of native plants rather than importing items from Europe
(b) Gemmy's history
(c) The attack on Gemmy
12. What did the natives give Gemmy when they visited him?
(b) A stone
(c) A weapon
(d) Soil and water
13. Who is George Abbot thinking of when Gemmy arrives at the schoolhouse?
(a) Mr. Frazer
(d) His godfather
14. Why does Lachlan stop protecting Gemmy?
(a) He begins to dislike Gemmy.
(b) He sees Gemmy can protect himself.
(c) He wants to fit in with the other children.
(d) Gemmy moves to Mrs. Hutchence's home.
15. Why does Lachlan not find out about the attack on Gemmy until the next day?
(a) He slept through the incident.
(b) The McIvors want to protect him.
(c) His classmates are afraid to tell him about the incident.
(d) He was out with friends when it happened.
Short Answer Questions
1. What awakens Ellen at the beginning of this chapter?
2. How does Janet feel when the swarm of bees surrounds her unprotected body one day?
3. How does Jock feel about the strange occurrences around his farm?
4. Where has Mr. Frazer taken Gemmy's papers?
5. Why is Jock relieved when the mob disperses?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)