|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jock sleep after the attack on Gemmy?
(a) In Gemmy's lean-to
(b) In his bed
(c) He does not sleep
(d) On the front porch of the hut
2. How does Gemmy react to the attack on the geese?
(a) He becomes more vocal.
(b) He becomes enraged.
(c) He becomes withdrawn.
(d) He becomes violent.
3. What does Gemmy hope to get from George Abbot?
(a) His papers
(b) His clothes
(c) His stone
4. Who does Gemmy start dreaming about in this chapter?
(b) Mosey and the Irish
(d) The natives
5. Who is the only child at the settlement whom Lachlan becomes close with?
6. How does Jock feel about the strange occurrences around his farm?
(a) He feels hurt and betrayed.
(b) He feels vindicated.
(c) He feels confused.
(d) He feels angry and violent.
7. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
(a) A negative one
(b) No impact
(c) A positive one
(d) A neutral one
8. Which of the McIvors is most enraged by the incident with the geese?
9. How does Janet feel when the swarm of bees surrounds her unprotected body one day?
10. Who does Gemmy move in with after he is attacked?
(a) George Abbot
(b) The McIvors
(c) Mrs. Hutchence
(d) Mr. & Mrs. Frazer
11. Where does Janet live in this chapter?
(a) In the old settlement
(b) In Mrs. Hutchence's old home
(c) In Brisbane
(d) In a convent
12. What does Lachlan promise Gemmy after his visit to Mrs. Hutchence's?
(a) Lachlan promises to restore his friendship with Gemmy.
(b) Lachlan promises he will return to visit Gemmy again.
(c) Lachlan promises he will defend Gemmy in the future.
(d) Lachlan promises he will never let Gemmy be hurt again.
13. What is Sir George's response to Mr. Frazer's plan?
(a) He eagerly embraces it.
(b) He dismisses it.
(c) He expresses interest in it.
(d) He views it as a threat.
14. Why does Lachlan not find out about the attack on Gemmy until the next day?
(a) He was out with friends when it happened.
(b) His classmates are afraid to tell him about the incident.
(c) The McIvors want to protect him.
(d) He slept through the incident.
15. Why does Lachlan stop protecting Gemmy?
(a) He begins to dislike Gemmy.
(b) Gemmy moves to Mrs. Hutchence's home.
(c) He wants to fit in with the other children.
(d) He sees Gemmy can protect himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Lachlan initially take with Gemmy?
2. What is the only name that George Abbot recognizes in Gemmy's description of what he wants from the teacher?
3. What did the natives give Gemmy when they visited him?
4. Which two characters meet in this chapter?
5. What impresses Gemmy about Mr. Frazer?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)