|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
(a) A positive one
(b) A neutral one
(c) A negative one
(d) No impact
2. What does Gemmy do with "his papers"?
(a) He takes them to Mrs. Hutchence.
(b) He buries them in the ground.
(c) He puts them in the swamp.
(d) He lets the rain wash the ink off of them.
3. How does Gemmy react to the attack on the geese?
(a) He becomes more vocal.
(b) He becomes violent.
(c) He becomes withdrawn.
(d) He becomes enraged.
4. Who does Mr. Frazer credit with his expanded interest in botany?
(b) George Abbot
(c) Jock McIvor
(d) The aborigines
5. When do the events in this chapter take place?
(a) 50 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(b) 15 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(c) 5 months after Gemmy left the settlement
(d) 5 years after Gemmy left the settlement
6. What does Janet believe happens to her on the night depicted in this chapter?
(a) She sees Gemmy as her brother.
(b) She realizes the evil of men.
(c) She becomes an adult.
(d) She develops respect for her father.
7. How long did Gemmy remain at sea?
(a) Two years
(b) Two days
(c) Two decades
(d) Two months
8. Who does Mr. Frazer go to Brisbane to meet with?
(a) Jock McIvor
(b) George Abbot
(c) Sir George
(d) The King of England
9. What does Mrs. Hutchence give Gemmy that sparks memories of his childhood?
(b) A chest
(c) A bed
(d) A stone
10. Who is the only child at the settlement whom Lachlan becomes close with?
11. Which two characters meet in this chapter?
(a) Lachlan, Gemmy and Janet
(b) Janet and Gemmy
(c) Lachlan and Gemmy
(d) Janet and Lachlan
12. What event causes Jock to stop visiting his neighbors?
(a) The settlers criticize Gemmy
(b) Three of his wife's geese are killed
(c) Gemmy becomes upset
(d) Three of his wife's chickens are killed
13. What does the mob do when Jock approaches them near the creek?
(a) They yell at him to step away.
(b) They run away.
(c) They attack him.
(d) They begin beating Gemmy.
14. Who does Gemmy start dreaming about in this chapter?
(a) The natives
(d) Mosey and the Irish
15. What awakens Ellen at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) A knock at the front door of the hut
(b) Jock getting up and leaving the bed
(c) Bumps against the wall of the hut
(d) Gemmy's yells
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gemmy hope to get from George Abbot?
2. Who does Mr. Frazer attempt to tell Sir George about?
3. How does Jock feel about having to confront the person who damaged his fence?
4. Who is George Abbot thinking of when Gemmy arrives at the schoolhouse?
5. What does Mr. Frazer begin writing about in this chapter?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)