|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Gemmy remain at sea?
(a) Two years
(b) Two decades
(c) Two months
(d) Two days
2. How does Lachlan feel when he visits Gemmy at Mrs. Hutchence's house?
3. Who rescues Gemmy from the mob?
(c) The natives
(d) Mr. Frazer
4. Where has Mr. Frazer taken Gemmy's papers?
(a) To England
(b) To the aborigines
(c) To Brisbane
(d) To the McIvors
5. What does Gemmy do with "his papers"?
(a) He lets the rain wash the ink off of them.
(b) He takes them to Mrs. Hutchence.
(c) He buries them in the ground.
(d) He puts them in the swamp.
6. Who does Mr. Frazer credit with his expanded interest in botany?
(a) The aborigines
(b) Jock McIvor
(d) George Abbot
7. What does Gemmy believe will happen if a person ignores someone who only wants attention?
(a) He will get the attention he wants.
(b) He will go away.
(c) He will become invisible.
(d) He will no longer want attention.
8. What does the mob do when Jock approaches them near the creek?
(a) They begin beating Gemmy.
(b) They run away.
(c) They attack him.
(d) They yell at him to step away.
9. What does Gemmy do with the hunting ferrets one night when Willett passes out drunk?
(a) He kills them.
(b) He sets them on fire.
(c) He feeds them treats.
(d) He releases them from their cages.
10. Who does Lachlan talk to when trying to locate Gemmy?
(a) The settlers
(b) George Abbot
(c) The natives
(d) Mrs. Hutchence and Leona
11. Why does Lachlan stop protecting Gemmy?
(a) He sees Gemmy can protect himself.
(b) He wants to fit in with the other children.
(c) Gemmy moves to Mrs. Hutchence's home.
(d) He begins to dislike Gemmy.
12. What does Mr. Frazer want to do as a result of his botany work?
(a) Become a professional botanist
(b) Move into the woods with the aborigines
(c) Return to England
(d) Preserve the native ecology
13. How does Gemmy feel after receiving the gift from the aborigines?
(a) Confused and upset
(b) Agitated and angry
(c) Refreshed and strengthened
(d) Excited and anxious
14. Which two characters meet in this chapter?
(a) Janet and Lachlan
(b) Janet and Gemmy
(c) Lachlan and Gemmy
(d) Lachlan, Gemmy and Janet
15. What did the natives give Gemmy when they visited him?
(a) A stone
(b) Soil and water
(d) A weapon
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gemmy start dreaming about in this chapter?
2. What does Lachlan promise Gemmy after his visit to Mrs. Hutchence's?
3. What does Mr. Frazer suggest that the government plant in Queensland?
4. What surprises Mr. Frazer about Brisbane?
5. What does Gemmy do when he discovers that he cannot extinguish the fire in Willett's home?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)