|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Janet live in this chapter?
(a) In the old settlement
(b) In a convent
(c) In Brisbane
(d) In Mrs. Hutchence's old home
2. Why does Lachlan not find out about the attack on Gemmy until the next day?
(a) His classmates are afraid to tell him about the incident.
(b) He slept through the incident.
(c) The McIvors want to protect him.
(d) He was out with friends when it happened.
3. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
(a) A negative one
(b) A neutral one
(c) No impact
(d) A positive one
4. Who rescues Gemmy from the mob?
(b) The natives
(d) Mr. Frazer
5. What strikes Janet most about Mrs. Hutchence's demeanor when working with the bees?
(a) Her excitement
(b) Her skill
(c) Her enthusiasm
(d) Her bravery
6. What did the natives give Gemmy when they visited him?
(a) A stone
(b) Soil and water
(d) A weapon
7. What does Mr. Frazer suggest that the government plant in Queensland?
(b) Native orchards
(c) European plants
8. How did Willett treat Gemmy when he lived with him?
(a) He was abusive towards Gemmy.
(b) He treated Gemmy like a son.
(c) He was loving towards Gemmy.
(d) He ignored and neglected Gemmy.
9. What is Sir George's response to Mr. Frazer's plan?
(a) He dismisses it.
(b) He expresses interest in it.
(c) He eagerly embraces it.
(d) He views it as a threat.
10. What becomes Janet's lifelong passion and hobby?
11. How does Lachlan feel when he visits Gemmy at Mrs. Hutchence's house?
12. How long did Gemmy remain at sea?
(a) Two months
(b) Two years
(c) Two decades
(d) Two days
13. Why is Jock relieved when the mob disperses?
(a) He would have had to kill one of them if he saw them.
(b) He is glad Gemmy is unharmed.
(c) He does not have to see who attacked Gemmy.
(d) He does not want the neighbors to be upset with him.
14. When do the events in this chapter take place?
(a) 5 months after Gemmy left the settlement
(b) 50 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(c) 5 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(d) 15 years after Gemmy left the settlement
15. Who does Lachlan talk to when trying to locate Gemmy?
(a) George Abbot
(b) The natives
(c) The settlers
(d) Mrs. Hutchence and Leona
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Mr. Frazer about Brisbane?
2. What impresses Gemmy about Mr. Frazer?
3. Who assists Gemmy in finding a new home after he is attacked?
4. What does Janet believe happens to her on the night depicted in this chapter?
5. Who does Gemmy move in with after he is attacked?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)