|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the mob do when Jock approaches them near the creek?
(a) They begin beating Gemmy.
(b) They run away.
(c) They yell at him to step away.
(d) They attack him.
2. Who rescues Gemmy from the mob?
(a) The natives
(c) Mr. Frazer
3. What event causes Jock to stop visiting his neighbors?
(a) Three of his wife's geese are killed
(b) The settlers criticize Gemmy
(c) Three of his wife's chickens are killed
(d) Gemmy becomes upset
4. How does Lachlan feel when he visits Gemmy at Mrs. Hutchence's house?
5. What does Mr. Frazer suggest that the government plant in Queensland?
(a) Native orchards
(d) European plants
6. What does Gemmy hope to get from George Abbot?
(a) His clothes
(c) His stone
(d) His papers
7. What role does Lachlan initially take with Gemmy?
(a) He acts as his brother.
(b) He acts as his enemy.
(c) He acts as his teacher.
(d) He acts as his protector.
8. What strikes Janet most about Mrs. Hutchence's demeanor when working with the bees?
(a) Her excitement
(b) Her skill
(c) Her enthusiasm
(d) Her bravery
9. Where does Jock sleep after the attack on Gemmy?
(a) In Gemmy's lean-to
(b) In his bed
(c) He does not sleep
(d) On the front porch of the hut
10. What was Willett's profession?
(a) He was a landlord.
(b) He was a rat catcher.
(c) He ran an orphanage.
(d) He was a dog catcher.
11. Who does Mr. Frazer go to Brisbane to meet with?
(a) Jock McIvor
(b) Sir George
(c) George Abbot
(d) The King of England
12. Who does Lachlan talk to when trying to locate Gemmy?
(a) Mrs. Hutchence and Leona
(b) The natives
(c) George Abbot
(d) The settlers
13. Where has Mr. Frazer taken Gemmy's papers?
(a) To the McIvors
(b) To England
(c) To the aborigines
(d) To Brisbane
14. What does Mr. Frazer want to do as a result of his botany work?
(a) Return to England
(b) Preserve the native ecology
(c) Become a professional botanist
(d) Move into the woods with the aborigines
15. How did Willett treat Gemmy when he lived with him?
(a) He ignored and neglected Gemmy.
(b) He treated Gemmy like a son.
(c) He was loving towards Gemmy.
(d) He was abusive towards Gemmy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gemmy do with the hunting ferrets one night when Willett passes out drunk?
2. Why does Lachlan not find out about the attack on Gemmy until the next day?
3. What does George give Gemmy instead of his papers?
4. What does Gemmy do with "his papers"?
5. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)