|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lachlan promise Gemmy after his visit to Mrs. Hutchence's?
(a) Lachlan promises he will return to visit Gemmy again.
(b) Lachlan promises he will defend Gemmy in the future.
(c) Lachlan promises to restore his friendship with Gemmy.
(d) Lachlan promises he will never let Gemmy be hurt again.
2. What does Mr. Frazer suggest that the government plant in Queensland?
(a) Native orchards
(c) European plants
3. Which of the McIvors is most enraged by the incident with the geese?
4. What does Janet believe happens to her on the night depicted in this chapter?
(a) She sees Gemmy as her brother.
(b) She develops respect for her father.
(c) She realizes the evil of men.
(d) She becomes an adult.
5. Why does Lachlan not find out about the attack on Gemmy until the next day?
(a) He slept through the incident.
(b) His classmates are afraid to tell him about the incident.
(c) The McIvors want to protect him.
(d) He was out with friends when it happened.
6. What did the natives give Gemmy when they visited him?
(b) A weapon
(c) Soil and water
(d) A stone
7. Who assists Gemmy in finding a new home after he is attacked?
(a) Mrs. Hutchence
(c) Mrs. Frazer
(d) Mr. Frazer
8. What does Lachlan find at the site where the "dispersal" supposedly took place?
(a) An aborigine settlement
(c) Gemmy's papers
(d) Bones that appear to have belonged to children
9. When do the events in this chapter take place?
(a) 5 months after Gemmy left the settlement
(b) 15 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(c) 50 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(d) 5 years after Gemmy left the settlement
10. What awakens Ellen at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) Bumps against the wall of the hut
(b) A knock at the front door of the hut
(c) Jock getting up and leaving the bed
(d) Gemmy's yells
11. Why is Jock relieved when the mob disperses?
(a) He does not want the neighbors to be upset with him.
(b) He would have had to kill one of them if he saw them.
(c) He is glad Gemmy is unharmed.
(d) He does not have to see who attacked Gemmy.
12. What is Mrs. Hutchence's hobby?
13. Who does Mr. Frazer go to Brisbane to meet with?
(a) George Abbot
(b) Jock McIvor
(c) The King of England
(d) Sir George
14. What was Willett's profession?
(a) He was a dog catcher.
(b) He ran an orphanage.
(c) He was a landlord.
(d) He was a rat catcher.
15. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
(a) A neutral one
(b) No impact
(c) A negative one
(d) A positive one
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gemmy react to the attack on the geese?
2. What does George give Gemmy instead of his papers?
3. How does Jock feel about having to confront the person who damaged his fence?
4. Where does Janet live in this chapter?
5. How did Willett treat Gemmy when he lived with him?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)