|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Frazer begin writing about in this chapter?
(a) Gemmy's history
(c) The use of native plants rather than importing items from Europe
(d) The attack on Gemmy
2. What happens when Gemmy wakens from his nightmare?
(a) He realizes he is somewhere else.
(b) He realizes what he dreamed is actually happening.
(c) He realizes it was a premonition.
(d) He realizes that it was only a dream.
3. What does Mr. Frazer suggest that the government plant in Queensland?
(b) European plants
(c) Native orchards
4. How did Willett treat Gemmy when he lived with him?
(a) He treated Gemmy like a son.
(b) He was abusive towards Gemmy.
(c) He ignored and neglected Gemmy.
(d) He was loving towards Gemmy.
5. Who is the only child at the settlement whom Lachlan becomes close with?
6. Who does Mr. Frazer credit with his expanded interest in botany?
(a) The aborigines
(b) Jock McIvor
(c) George Abbot
7. Why does Lachlan stop protecting Gemmy?
(a) He begins to dislike Gemmy.
(b) He sees Gemmy can protect himself.
(c) Gemmy moves to Mrs. Hutchence's home.
(d) He wants to fit in with the other children.
8. What did the natives give Gemmy when they visited him?
(a) Soil and water
(b) A weapon
(c) A stone
9. What awakens Ellen at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) Bumps against the wall of the hut
(b) Jock getting up and leaving the bed
(c) Gemmy's yells
(d) A knock at the front door of the hut
10. What event causes Jock to stop visiting his neighbors?
(a) Gemmy becomes upset
(b) Three of his wife's geese are killed
(c) The settlers criticize Gemmy
(d) Three of his wife's chickens are killed
11. Where does Janet live in this chapter?
(a) In the old settlement
(b) In Brisbane
(c) In a convent
(d) In Mrs. Hutchence's old home
12. Who rescues Gemmy from the mob?
(a) The natives
(c) Mr. Frazer
13. Why is Jock relieved when the mob disperses?
(a) He is glad Gemmy is unharmed.
(b) He does not have to see who attacked Gemmy.
(c) He would have had to kill one of them if he saw them.
(d) He does not want the neighbors to be upset with him.
14. What does George give Gemmy instead of his papers?
(a) Homework papers
(b) A book
(c) Letters from Leona
(d) Blank paper
15. What does Mrs. Hutchence give Gemmy that sparks memories of his childhood?
(a) A bed
(c) A stone
(d) A chest
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the McIvors helps Mrs. Hutchence with her hobby?
2. Who does Gemmy start dreaming about in this chapter?
3. Who does Gemmy move in with after he is attacked?
4. What does Gemmy believe will happen if a person ignores someone who only wants attention?
5. What does Gemmy do with the hunting ferrets one night when Willett passes out drunk?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)