|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lachlan not find out about the attack on Gemmy until the next day?
(a) He was out with friends when it happened.
(b) His classmates are afraid to tell him about the incident.
(c) He slept through the incident.
(d) The McIvors want to protect him.
2. Who does Mr. Frazer attempt to tell Sir George about?
(b) The aborigines
(c) The McIvors
(d) George Abbot
3. What sort of impact did Gemmy have on both Janet's and Lachlan's earlier lives?
(a) A positive one
(b) A neutral one
(c) No impact
(d) A negative one
4. Which of the McIvors is most enraged by the incident with the geese?
5. Who does Lachlan talk to when trying to locate Gemmy?
(a) George Abbot
(b) The natives
(c) The settlers
(d) Mrs. Hutchence and Leona
6. How does Janet feel when the swarm of bees surrounds her unprotected body one day?
7. What does Lachlan promise Gemmy after his visit to Mrs. Hutchence's?
(a) Lachlan promises he will defend Gemmy in the future.
(b) Lachlan promises to restore his friendship with Gemmy.
(c) Lachlan promises he will return to visit Gemmy again.
(d) Lachlan promises he will never let Gemmy be hurt again.
8. What does Gemmy do with "his papers"?
(a) He takes them to Mrs. Hutchence.
(b) He puts them in the swamp.
(c) He buries them in the ground.
(d) He lets the rain wash the ink off of them.
9. What does Lachlan find at the site where the "dispersal" supposedly took place?
(a) Bones that appear to have belonged to children
(c) Gemmy's papers
(d) An aborigine settlement
10. What does Mrs. Hutchence give Gemmy that sparks memories of his childhood?
(b) A bed
(c) A chest
(d) A stone
11. What does Mr. Frazer suggest that the government plant in Queensland?
(b) Native orchards
(c) European plants
12. What does Mr. Frazer begin writing about in this chapter?
(a) Gemmy's history
(c) The attack on Gemmy
(d) The use of native plants rather than importing items from Europe
13. What does Gemmy hope to get from George Abbot?
(a) His clothes
(c) His papers
(d) His stone
14. Why does Lachlan stop protecting Gemmy?
(a) Gemmy moves to Mrs. Hutchence's home.
(b) He begins to dislike Gemmy.
(c) He sees Gemmy can protect himself.
(d) He wants to fit in with the other children.
15. When do the events in this chapter take place?
(a) 5 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(b) 50 years after Gemmy left the settlement
(c) 5 months after Gemmy left the settlement
(d) 15 years after Gemmy left the settlement
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the natives give Gemmy when they visited him?
2. Where does Janet live in this chapter?
3. What does Janet believe happens to her on the night depicted in this chapter?
4. Who is George Abbot thinking of when Gemmy arrives at the schoolhouse?
5. What becomes Janet's lifelong passion and hobby?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)