|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janet see as a barrier in her future?
(b) Her family
(c) Her gender
(d) Her age
2. What does Andy tell the other settlers that the natives gave to Gemmy?
(a) A book
(b) A weapon
(c) A stone
(d) A talisman
3. What does Jock begin appreciating about Ellen in this chapter?
(a) The things she does for their family
(b) Her beauty
(c) The things she does for Gemmy
(d) Her intelligence
4. How was George treated as a child?
(a) He was pampered.
(b) He was treated fairly.
(c) He was neglected.
(d) He was abused.
5. Why is Janet a mystery to Gemmy?
(a) She is not very open.
(b) She lets Lachlan act like he is in charge.
(c) She does not need everyone to recognize her power.
(d) She is quiet and withdrawn.
6. Which of the McIvor children does Gemmy feel the greatest connection with?
7. What does Gemmy do to ensure that the natives will not desert him?
(a) He makes himself look like them.
(b) He learns their language.
(c) He follows them when they break camp.
(d) He teaches them things he learned in England.
8. How does Janet feel when she hurts Lachlan?
9. What does Jock jokingly tell the men that they are afraid of?
(a) A stone
(b) A crippled man
(c) A child
(d) A black man
10. Which of the following describes Leona as she is characterized in this chapter?
(a) Awkward and faltering
(b) Kind and poised
(c) Friendly, but superficial
(d) Kind, but guarded
11. How does Abbot feel when he strikes a student?
(a) Shameful then excited.
(b) Excited then frustrated.
(c) Excited then shameful.
(d) Angry then peaceful.
12. Where are the deceased McIvor children buried?
(c) At the settlement
13. What do Jock and Ellen begin talking about for the first time in many years?
(a) Their two children, Meg and Janet
(b) The deaths of their two children
(c) Gemmy's presence on the farm
(d) Their former life in Scotland
14. Which of the settlers seems to understand and connect with Gemmy the most in this chapter?
(b) Ned Corcoran
(c) Jock McIvor
(d) Mr. Frazer
15. What does Ellen think has made Jock's youth dwindle?
(a) His homesickness for England
(b) His homesickness for Scotland
(c) The pressure of having Gemmy on the farm
(d) The deaths of their children
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abbot react when students answer questions incorrectly?
2. What does Lachlan do that makes Janet feel insulted?
3. What does Mrs. Hutchence often hire the settlers to do in her home?
4. What is Gemmy's first memory of the island?
5. How does Ned Corcoran react when he sees an aborigine on his property?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)