|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was George treated as a child?
(a) He was abused.
(b) He was neglected.
(c) He was treated fairly.
(d) He was pampered.
2. Which of the McIvors is unsettled by Gemmy's presence in the house?
3. Which of the following describes Leona as she is characterized in this chapter?
(a) Kind, but guarded
(b) Awkward and faltering
(c) Kind and poised
(d) Friendly, but superficial
4. How does Gemmy act after the visitors leave?
(a) He seems at peace and calm.
(b) He continues working as if nothing happened.
(c) He becomes agitated.
(d) He is clearly unnerved.
5. Where does Mrs. Hutchence live in the settlement?
(a) She lives outside of the settlement.
(b) She lives near the schoolhouse.
(c) She lives next door to George Abbot.
(d) She lives close to the McIvors.
6. How does Barney show his unease about Gemmy?
(a) He yells at Gemmy.
(b) He carries a shot gun.
(c) He paces his property line.
(d) He refuses to talk to Gemmy.
7. What does the figure from the swamp first do that surprises the children?
(a) He dances around.
(b) He runs away from them.
(c) He speaks to them in English.
(d) He hugs them.
8. What does Ellen think has made Jock's youth dwindle?
(a) His homesickness for Scotland
(b) The deaths of their children
(c) The pressure of having Gemmy on the farm
(d) His homesickness for England
9. What job does George Abbot hold?
10. Why is Janet a mystery to Gemmy?
(a) She is not very open.
(b) She is quiet and withdrawn.
(c) She lets Lachlan act like he is in charge.
(d) She does not need everyone to recognize her power.
11. Which of the visitors to Mrs. Hutchence's house is most surprising?
12. What happened to two of the McIvors' children?
(a) They returned to England.
(b) They returned to Scotland.
(c) They left the settlement.
(d) They died.
13. What does Janet notice one day that seems to open up the world to her?
(a) Lachlan's true nature
(b) The pink color under a scab
(d) The brightness of the sun
14. How does Gemmy get food once in Queensland?
(a) He hunts for himself.
(b) He steals it from the natives.
(c) He helps the natives hunt.
(d) He steals it from the settlers.
15. What does Gemmy do to ensure that the natives will not desert him?
(a) He learns their language.
(b) He makes himself look like them.
(c) He follows them when they break camp.
(d) He teaches them things he learned in England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the primary focus of George's anger and frustration?
2. What does Mr. Frazer do that amuses Gemmy?
3. Who takes pride in bringing Gemmy to the settlement?
4. Which of the following describes Lachlan's demeanor when he arrived in Australia?
5. Who observes Gemmy's visitors?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)