|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gemmy use to try and explain the land to the settlers?
(b) Native sounds
(d) Native words
2. Which of the following describes Leona as she is characterized in this chapter?
(a) Kind and poised
(b) Friendly, but superficial
(c) Kind, but guarded
(d) Awkward and faltering
3. Where did George want to go to work after finishing school?
(b) The United States
4. What happens to Gemmy when he observes the white settlers?
(a) He longs for England.
(b) He wishes he could be with people like himself.
(c) He begins to remember words in English.
(d) He realizes how much better his life is with the natives.
5. What is Gemmy's first memory of the island?
(a) Lying on the beach
(b) Being found by Lachlan
(c) Stealing food from the natives
(d) Being rescued by the natives
6. Which of Jock's neighbors refuses to back down about Gemmy?
7. Why is George shocked when he comes into Mrs. Hutchence's house?
(a) The house is opulent
(b) It is scarcely decorated
(c) He sees Leona for the first time
(d) Many of the settlers are there
8. Who approaches George Abbot one day as he is leaving on his afternoon "retreat"?
(b) Janet McIvor
(c) Mr. Frazer
(d) Mrs. Hutchence
9. How does Gemmy get food once in Queensland?
(a) He hunts for himself.
(b) He steals it from the natives.
(c) He steals it from the settlers.
(d) He helps the natives hunt.
10. How did Gemmy come to be on Queensland?
(a) He was sent there as a prisoner.
(b) He was thrown off of a ship.
(c) He was a part of another settlement.
(d) He was born there.
11. What fear consumes most of the settlers?
(a) The integration of natives into their community
(b) An attack by the natives
(c) An attack by wild animals
(d) Interracial marriage between settlers and natives
12. Who do the settlers worry is visiting secretly Gemmy?
(a) The natives
(c) Mr. Frazer
(d) The children
13. Who is not allowed to interact with Gemmy when he is living with the natives?
(a) The women
(b) The men
(c) The children
(d) The settlers
14. Which of the following describes Lachlan's demeanor when he arrived in Australia?
(a) Disinterested and ungrateful
(b) Excited and anxious
(c) Sullen and depressed
(d) Arrogant and angry
15. How long do the natives wait before visiting Gemmy for the first time?
(a) One month
(b) One year
(c) Two years
(d) Two months
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellen become kinder to Gemmy in this chapter?
2. Where did Jock McIvor want to go before settling in Australia?
3. What does Andy tell the other settlers that the natives gave to Gemmy?
4. What was Brisbane like when the McIvors first arrived there?
5. Why is Jock concerned about Barney's reaction to Gemmy?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)