|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the Crown Heights riot last a few years before?
2. The hut Pendergast observes consists of what building material?
3. Who carries the pyros?
4. What are the Wrinklers doing in the Crystal Pavilion when Margo looks down on them in horror?
5. What does the survivor of the subway massacre say about the attackers' features?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Margo's theory about what happened to Whittlesey? Examining her scientific approach outlined in the book, do you see any flaws in her theory? Is there another reasonable explanation?
2. What is a seemingly positive side effect of the reovirus infection? What might this mean to future testing?
3. Do you think that Bill Smithback is being used by Anette Wisher as a tool to carry out her own plans? Why do you think so? Cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
4. What would be the far-reaching effects of drowning the Wrinklers in the manner mentioned in Chapter 40?
5. What does Mephisto's letter given to Margo for delivery tell you about Mephisto?
6. How does Pendergast use his shocking albinism to "blend in" with the outcasts of society in the tunnels? What other methods does he employ, and how is he successful?
7. What purpose does the scene with the Navy SEALs have?
8. How does Margo plan to figure out what Greg had been doing in his warehouse laboratory?
9. What does Pendergast find in the Crystal Pavilion that causes him alarm? Why do you think these things scare him?
10. Why might the huge amount of firepower carried by D'Agosta, Pendergast, and Mephisto be ineffective against the creatures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The second skeleton is a huge mystery to the people investigating and examining it. They can find no obvious cause for the extensive remodeling of the bone structure and are baffled by its existence. What are some of the theories put forward initially? What happens when the skeleton is finally identified?
Essay Topic 2
The author incorporates extensive use of similes and metaphors to "illustrate" this novel. For example, he states that, "The Reservoir itself was a sheet of beaten gold in the sunset." Can you think of any other examples cited in the text? What does the use of similes and metaphors add to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Hayward is an interesting character, a woman of strength, confidence and utter self-assurance. Margo is strong, but in different ways with different approaches to problem solving. Compare/contrast Margo and Hayward, particularly their strengths and weaknesses. What does each character contribute to the storyline?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)