|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time are the valves to be opened at the Water Authority?
2. What supposedly happens when the Mbwun plant is eaten?
3. What does Margo find growing on the surface of the Central Park Reservoir?
4. Who catches AW duty for the mission
5. How does Hayward disarm the group of boys heading for the march?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pendergast use his shocking albinism to "blend in" with the outcasts of society in the tunnels? What other methods does he employ, and how is he successful?
2. What does Smithback view that leads him to believe his ambition might have finally taken him too far? Do you think his fear is because he feels his mortality or because he has seen the mortality of others?
3. What do you think are Pendergast's true intentions in bringing Mephisto along on the mission to the Crystal Palace?
4. What is a seemingly positive side effect of the reovirus infection? What might this mean to future testing?
5. Do you think that Bill Smithback is being used by Anette Wisher as a tool to carry out her own plans? Why do you think so? Cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
6. What do you think the symbols Pendergast discovered, which translate to a description of a Japanese tea room, mean to the creatures?
7. Why might the huge amount of firepower carried by D'Agosta, Pendergast, and Mephisto be ineffective against the creatures?
8. What does Mephisto's letter given to Margo for delivery tell you about Mephisto?
9. How does Margo plan to figure out what Greg had been doing in his warehouse laboratory?
10. What would be the far-reaching effects of drowning the Wrinklers in the manner mentioned in Chapter 40?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frock is unmasked as the shaman, the man behind the propagation of the Wrinklers. Why is this such a shock to the people trying to stop the Wrinklers? In hindsight, does it make sense? What reasoning does Frock give for his transgressions? Do you feel he has a valid point, or do you think he's simply another drug addict? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The officers leading this investigation seems simple, weak, demanding and lazy. What point do you think the author was trying to bring across with such characters? Is he making a statement on police leaders in general, or do you think he is trying to make his other characters seem stronger?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Wisher is distraught at the brutal murder of her daughter. She feels frustrated by the lack of information coming out of One Police Center, feeling that she should give the benefit of the doubt with the details of her daughter's death. What steps does Mrs. Wisher take to counteract this feeling of helplessness, and how do her actions affect the storyline ?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)