|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocking news does Frock give Margo in Chapter 22?
2. What program did Greg develop that were key in identifying and stopping Mbwun?
3. Why is Nick Bitterman going to Belveder Castle?
4. Which character had a crush on Smithback?
5. What story won Smithback great accolades?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Bill Smithback would do anything to get the exclusive on a murder investigation? Why or why not? Do his tactics seem moral or sensationa? Why?
2. What is the history of Mbwun, and why is it assumed that these killings might relate to the events surrounding this creature?
3. What do you think is the importance of the New York Museum of Natural History to the storyline?
4. Why do you think the author mentions his previous book, "Relic"?
5. What are the repercussions of the $100,000 reward posted by Bill Smithback and the Post?
6. Do you think Chief Horlocker's decision to make sure that the case is given priority because a debutante is based upon social standing, given that homeless men and women have died in the same way for weeks? Why or why not?
7. What purpose might an evolutionary biologist and a biologist whose specialty is genetics serve to the police in this story?
8. What about the Museum of Natural History makes its atmosphere àpropos to a book of this genre?
9. What is the irony in the author's naming the leader of the Route 666 group Mephisto?
10. When Mephisto gives Smithback the nickname "scriblerian," what does he imply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greg Kawakita is a key part of the reason the city is being overrun with murders. He is long gone, but his legacy of madness lives on in those he "infected" with the drug, glaze. How do you think Kawakita rationalized giving the drug to others when he already knew it was what created the Mwbun? How do you think he rationalized taking it himself?
Essay Topic 2
"Here there be monsters." Given the context of this statement, humans feared the unknown and unknowable since the beginning of time. Other than the obvious, how does this quote apply to this book. Look beyond the Wrinklers and cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 3
The flooding of the tunnels to destroy the creatures is an extreme step, especially given the number of innocent people who could be in danger from the flooding. What purpose do you think this moral ambiguity will serve? Do you see it in any other situations in the book? Do you think it serves the same purpose in that instance?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)