|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the translation given in the book of the phrase "Cui ci sono dei monstri"?
2. What is the average number of murders a day in the past year in New York as mentioned in Chapter 14?
3. What stench does D'Agosta try to dilute with the plume of smoke?
4. What piece of literature does Mephisto tell Smithback to read before they meet again?
5. Who requests a meeting with D'Agosta in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the author mentions his previous book, "Relic"?
2. When Mephisto gives Smithback the nickname "scriblerian," what does he imply?
3. What kind of influence do you think a woman like Mrs. Wisher would likely have on the political climate? Does she show that she is willing to use that influence to force matters in the direction she wants them to go? What gives you that indication?
4. What is ironic about using the muse of rhetoric, Polyhymnia, to name an ornate club in Chapter 10? Does its patronage seem to have anything to do with it?
5. Waxie is a misogynist. What does his presence add to the story, and how does that contribute to the overall storyline?
6. Do you think Chief Horlocker's decision to make sure that the case is given priority because a debutante is based upon social standing, given that homeless men and women have died in the same way for weeks? Why or why not?
7. In Chapter 8, an unknown person develops extra sensitive senses, apparently by ingesting some unknown drug. What do you think is the purpose of this character's in-depth description and failing to tell the reader who he is?
8. Does the existence of an underground "clan" seem plausible? What do you think is their purpose in the story?
9. Why is there so much excitement surrounding the second skeleton found in the polluted Cloaca?
10. How does D'Agosta take Waxie's assignment as team leader for the investigation? Why does he feel it might be a good move for all concerned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Smithback is proud of the good he thinks he has done for the Pamela Wisher murder case. However, important people look at what he has done as meddling. What things has Smithback done to bring the case to the forefront, and why are certain people unhappy with his interference?
Essay Topic 2
"Here there be monsters." Given the context of this statement, humans feared the unknown and unknowable since the beginning of time. Other than the obvious, how does this quote apply to this book. Look beyond the Wrinklers and cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 3
The author incorporates extensive use of similes and metaphors to "illustrate" this novel. For example, he states that, "The Reservoir itself was a sheet of beaten gold in the sunset." Can you think of any other examples cited in the text? What does the use of similes and metaphors add to the story?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)