|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Chihuahua that tries to attack D'Agosta?
2. What story won Smithback great accolades?
3. What title does the disembodied voice in the tunnel give Smithback?
4. What nickname does Pendergast give his tunnel alter-ego?
5. What has Margo begun to carry in her purse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be the reason that the unknown character in Chapter 8 holds the Ceremony?
2. When Mephisto gives Smithback the nickname "scriblerian," what does he imply?
3. Why is there so much excitement surrounding the second skeleton found in the polluted Cloaca?
4. What kind of influence do you think a woman like Mrs. Wisher would likely have on the political climate? Does she show that she is willing to use that influence to force matters in the direction she wants them to go? What gives you that indication?
5. Who is the homeless man who invades D'Agosta's office, and what is his reason for being there?
6. What does Pendergast reveal about Hayward? How does Hayward feel about this revelation? How does D'Agosta feel about this revelation?
7. What is the history of Mbwun, and why is it assumed that these killings might relate to the events surrounding this creature?
8. Why does Hayward say the tunnels are dangerous? Cite examples from the text.
9. What is the basic precept of Frock's theory of fractal evolution? How would it apply to the events taking place in the story?
10. How might Margo's expertise in ethnopharmacology be an example of foreshadowing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Wisher is distraught at the brutal murder of her daughter. She feels frustrated by the lack of information coming out of One Police Center, feeling that she should give the benefit of the doubt with the details of her daughter's death. What steps does Mrs. Wisher take to counteract this feeling of helplessness, and how do her actions affect the storyline ?
Essay Topic 2
Review Margo's theory of infection and how the reovirus affects its host once ingested. What seems plausible about her theory, as it applies to Mbwun and the characters like it? What seems implausible? Can you think of an alternate theory?
Essay Topic 3
Greg Kawakita is a key part of the reason the city is being overrun with murders. He is long gone, but his legacy of madness lives on in those he "infected" with the drug, glaze. How do you think Kawakita rationalized giving the drug to others when he already knew it was what created the Mwbun? How do you think he rationalized taking it himself?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)