|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the original plant fibers after the Museum Beast was killed?
(a) The CIA confiscated and cultivated them.
(b) The CDC confiscated and destroyed them.
(c) The FBI confiscated and destroyed them.
(d) No one knows.
2. What does Donovan do to "fix up" Snow?
(a) Smears black and green greasepaint on Snow's cheeks and forehead.
(b) Attaches his oxygen tank and filter.
(c) Orders him to turn his wetsuit right side out.
(d) Pushes him in the water before he is ready.
3. Why does Waxie call D'Agosta and Hayward to his office in Chapter 30?
(a) He believes he captured the killer.
(b) He wants to tell them that he is calling off the investigation.
(c) He decided to turn the investigation over.
(d) He needs help in his sting operation.
4. What is Frock's reasoning for dismissing Margo's theory about the killings?
(a) He hasn't had a chance to review her scientific analysis.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) It goes directly against evolutionary theory.
(d) It is too farfetched.
5. What are the Wrinklers doing in the Crystal Pavilion when Margo looks down on them in horror?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miller do when caught in the crowd of moles?
2. What building do Waxie and Duffy enter before initiating the drainage sequence?
3. What time is the drainage sequence scheduled for initiation?
4. On what was the Mbwun plant derivative tested?
5. What happened to Jumbo, P.T. Barnum's elephant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Smithback view that leads him to believe his ambition might have finally taken him too far? Do you think his fear is because he feels his mortality or because he has seen the mortality of others?
2. What is Margo's theory about what happened to Whittlesey? Examining her scientific approach outlined in the book, do you see any flaws in her theory? Is there another reasonable explanation?
3. How does Margo plan to figure out what Greg had been doing in his warehouse laboratory?
4. Do you think that Bill Smithback is being used by Anette Wisher as a tool to carry out her own plans? Why do you think so? Cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
5. Do you think Waxie was too hasty in naming Jeffery as the serial killer? What reason might Waxie have for such a hasty conclusion?
6. What is a seemingly positive side effect of the reovirus infection? What might this mean to future testing?
7. Why are the police so eager to get the matter concluded hastily without taking the time to analyze all possibilities first?
8. How does Pendergast use his shocking albinism to "blend in" with the outcasts of society in the tunnels? What other methods does he employ, and how is he successful?
9. What does Pendergast find in the Crystal Pavilion that causes him alarm? Why do you think these things scare him?
10. Why does Pendergast make a second trip into the tunnels?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)