|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are NVDs?
(a) Near velocity devices.
(b) Night vermin detectors.
(c) Night vision devices.
(d) Necro vision devices.
2. What is the name of the city engineer with whom Pendergast consults?
(a) Al Tillman.
(b) Al Braxton.
(c) Al Sharp.
(d) Al Diamond.
3. Where is it believed that Kawakita's test subjects now live?
(a) On the subway line.
(b) In different locations.
(c) In the Astor Tunnels.
(d) In the sewers.
4. What does Margo find in the puddle-like areas on the floor of the burned out warehouse?
(a) Evidence of marijuana.
(b) Several stolen fossils.
(c) The remains of several extinct fish.
(d) The remains of a rare Amazonian plant.
5. What does Hayward say to Pendergast when he asks her if she has any last words?
(a) "I love you."
(b) "Don't go."
(c) "This is foolish."
(d) "Go get 'em."
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Wrinklers doing in the Crystal Pavilion when Margo looks down on them in horror?
2. What is the blue-foot Psilocybe?
3. What rumor circulates about Mrs. Wisher when Hayward confronts the group of boys heading into the march with weapons?
4. What does Margo do to discover what Greg was doing in the burned out warehouse?
5. What does Margo find growing on the surface of the Central Park Reservoir?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the creatures abduct the group determined to destroy them instead of killing them like they have everyone else?
2. What do you think are Pendergast's true intentions in bringing Mephisto along on the mission to the Crystal Palace?
3. What purpose does the scene with the Navy SEALs have?
4. Do you think that Bill Smithback is being used by Anette Wisher as a tool to carry out her own plans? Why do you think so? Cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
5. One of the subway passengers chooses suicide over being at the mercy of his attackers. What does this indicate to you about the attackers?
6. What is the overwhelming feeling you get from the unnamed character in Chapter 34? Does he seem like every megalomaniac created in literature, or is there something different about him?
7. What is the true reason Kawakita was synthesizing Vitamin D? Do you believe he saw his own end coming and knew what he must do, or do you think it was simply an instinctive move?
8. What purpose might hallucinogenic mushrooms serve in the ceremony that Kawakita established?
9. What does Mephisto's letter given to Margo for delivery tell you about Mephisto?
10. What is the true nature of the ritual Kawakita established among the Wrinklers?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)