|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Margo do to discover what Greg was doing in the burned out warehouse?
(a) She gathers his belongings.
(b) She collects samples of ash.
(c) She sketches the setup.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
2. What does Margo find in the puddle-like areas on the floor of the burned out warehouse?
(a) Evidence of marijuana.
(b) The remains of a rare Amazonian plant.
(c) Several stolen fossils.
(d) The remains of several extinct fish.
3. What does Billy Trumbull do to escape his pursuers?
(a) Outruns them.
(b) Shoots them.
(c) Hides beneath the train.
(d) Commits suicide.
4. What does Pendergast say is the creature's gathering point?
(a) Central Park.
(b) The Knickerbocker Hotel.
(c) The Crystal Pavilion.
(d) The Grand Central Station.
5. What is the name of the Museum scientist who disappeared in the Amazon ten years earlier?
(a) Jonathan Weekly.
(b) Jacques Whitesides.
(c) James Walker.
(d) Julian Whittlesey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is thrown at the officers in Chapter 46?
2. What is the hormone that turns a caterpillar into a butterfly?
3. What does Donovan do to "fix up" Snow?
4. What is the purpose of the moles' banging on the pipes?
5. On what was the Mbwun plant derivative tested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the symbols Pendergast discovered, which translate to a description of a Japanese tea room, mean to the creatures?
2. What does Pendergast find in the Crystal Pavilion that causes him alarm? Why do you think these things scare him?
3. What starts the riots during the Take Back Our City March? Is this the fault of Mrs. Wisher, the police, or the homeless? Cite examples to support your argument.
4. Do you think that Bill Smithback is being used by Anette Wisher as a tool to carry out her own plans? Why do you think so? Cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
5. One of the subway passengers chooses suicide over being at the mercy of his attackers. What does this indicate to you about the attackers?
6. What is the true nature of the ritual Kawakita established among the Wrinklers?
7. What would be the far-reaching effects of drowning the Wrinklers in the manner mentioned in Chapter 40?
8. What is the overwhelming feeling you get from the unnamed character in Chapter 34? Does he seem like every megalomaniac created in literature, or is there something different about him?
9. What do you think are Pendergast's true intentions in leaving Margo behind when he, Mephisto, and D'Agosta try to destroy the Wrinklers?
10. What is the true reason Kawakita was synthesizing Vitamin D? Do you believe he saw his own end coming and knew what he must do, or do you think it was simply an instinctive move?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)