|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the one mouse that survived the mouse battle, though badly injured?
(a) It chewed throught the bars of its cage and escaped.
(b) It continued to fight.
(c) It ran itself into the bars of its cage until it died.
(d) It completely healed in minutes.
2. Where is Pendergast's map?
(a) Secured in a waterproof pocket.
(b) Drawn on his hand.
(c) Drawn on the inside of his cammos.
(d) Memorized in his head.
3. Who carries the pyros?
(c) All answers are correct.
4. On what team are Donovan and Snow?
(a) Team Gamma.
(b) Team Alpha.
(c) Team Beta.
(d) Team Delta.
5. How long is the dump of a hundred million gallons of water expected to take?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Four days.
(c) Eight minutes.
(d) Thirty-six hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does D'Agosta propose as a temporary alternative to attacking the creatures where they live?
2. Why does Pendergast believe the creatures spared their lives?
3. For what purpose does Margo conclude Greg was synthesizing Vitamin D?
4. For what unit is Commander Rachlin the Patrol Leader?
5. What happened to Jumbo, P.T. Barnum's elephant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Bill Smithback is being used by Anette Wisher as a tool to carry out her own plans? Why do you think so? Cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
2. What does Pendergast find in the Crystal Pavilion that causes him alarm? Why do you think these things scare him?
3. Why are the police so eager to get the matter concluded hastily without taking the time to analyze all possibilities first?
4. What does Margo discover in the remains of the laboratory that puts her in a momentary stupor? What does this discovery mean overall?
5. What is Margo's theory about what happened to Whittlesey? Examining her scientific approach outlined in the book, do you see any flaws in her theory? Is there another reasonable explanation?
6. What does Smithback view that leads him to believe his ambition might have finally taken him too far? Do you think his fear is because he feels his mortality or because he has seen the mortality of others?
7. How does Margo plan to figure out what Greg had been doing in his warehouse laboratory?
8. Pendergast seems uninterested in the "patterns" revealed by the data comparisons done by computer. There is one that interests him, however. What is that pattern and how might it prove useful to the investigation?
9. What does Mephisto's letter given to Margo for delivery tell you about Mephisto?
10. Why might the huge amount of firepower carried by D'Agosta, Pendergast, and Mephisto be ineffective against the creatures?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)