|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What odor does Smithback detect when following his informant into the small hole?
(a) Raw sewage.
(c) Wood smoke.
(d) Brick dust.
2. What is the name for the crime reporter for the Times?
(a) Bob Wisher.
(b) Bryce Harriman.
(c) Bill Smithback.
(d) Marion Ross.
3. What is the name of New York City's assistant medical examiner?
(a) Whitney Cadwalader Frock.
(b) Louie Padelsky.
(c) Margo Green.
(d) Olivia Meriam.
4. What was on the pair of athletic socks found at the site of the first homeless murder?
(b) Rat droppings.
5. On which floor does Mrs. Wisher live?
(a) Twentieth floor.
(b) Eleventh floor.
(c) Eighteenth floor.
(d) Second floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confidential piece of information does Smithback reveal to Margo that he knows about the two bodies from the river?
2. What story won Smithback great accolades?
3. In what bar does Smithback make his phone call in Chapter 6?
4. What does the waiter bring to Margo and Smithback along with their drinks in Chapter 15?
5. Why is Nick Bitterman going to Belveder Castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the homeless referred to as "moles"?
2. Waxie is a misogynist. What does his presence add to the story, and how does that contribute to the overall storyline?
3. Why is there so much excitement surrounding the second skeleton found in the polluted Cloaca?
4. In Chapter 8, an unknown person develops extra sensitive senses, apparently by ingesting some unknown drug. What do you think is the purpose of this character's in-depth description and failing to tell the reader who he is?
5. What are the repercussions of the $100,000 reward posted by Bill Smithback and the Post?
6. Do you think that Bill Smithback would do anything to get the exclusive on a murder investigation? Why or why not? Do his tactics seem moral or sensationa? Why?
7. What is the basic precept of Frock's theory of fractal evolution? How would it apply to the events taking place in the story?
8. Police work seems to involve a lot of political jostling and brown-nosing. How is that concept illustrated in Chapter 11?
9. How does D'Agosta take Waxie's assignment as team leader for the investigation? Why does he feel it might be a good move for all concerned?
10. How might Margo's expertise in ethnopharmacology be an example of foreshadowing?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)