|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Pendergast ask D'Agosta when they see the squatters' fire in the tunnel?
(a) "You want the ones on the left or the ones on the right?"
(b) "Shall we retire to the drawing room?"
(c) "Could this be the break we're looking for?"
(d) "How many fingers do you see?"
2. What metaphor is used to describe the Reservoir in Chapter 16?
(a) It was a slightly curved smile on the face of New York.
(b) It was a mirror of deep reflection.
(c) It was a shimmering ribbon of sequins.
(d) It was a sheet of beaten gold.
3. What were the killings called that Dr. Frock and Margo solved in the prequel to "Reliquary"?
(a) The Metropolitan Murders.
(b) The Eyebrow Creature Killings.
(c) Museum Beast Killings.
(d) Route 666 Killings.
4. What does the trio find in the cubby where the second headless body was found?
(a) A head.
(b) A rat's nest.
(c) An old coin.
(d) A cryptic note.
5. What is the identity of the deformed skeleton?
(a) It is never identified.
(b) Simon Brambell.
(c) Dr. Cavalierei.
(d) Greg Kawakita.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police believe caused the marks found on Pamela's skeleton?
2. Why is Nick Bitterman going to Belveder Castle?
3. In Chapter 11, who leads the group through the tunnel?
4. What is the name of the curator for the New York Museum of Natural History?
5. What is blastomycosis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Bill Smithback would do anything to get the exclusive on a murder investigation? Why or why not? Do his tactics seem moral or sensationa? Why?
2. Why do you think people of so many disciplines are called in to examine the two skeletons found in the river?
3. How does D'Agosta take Waxie's assignment as team leader for the investigation? Why does he feel it might be a good move for all concerned?
4. Police work seems to involve a lot of political jostling and brown-nosing. How is that concept illustrated in Chapter 11?
5. What seems to be the reason that the unknown character in Chapter 8 holds the Ceremony?
6. What does Pendergast reveal about Hayward? How does Hayward feel about this revelation? How does D'Agosta feel about this revelation?
7. What are the repercussions of the $100,000 reward posted by Bill Smithback and the Post?
8. What do you think is the importance of the New York Museum of Natural History to the storyline?
9. How might Margo's expertise in ethnopharmacology be an example of foreshadowing?
10. What is Brambell's theory about what animal is responsible for the teeth marks on Pamela Wisher's bones? How does this change the direction of the investigation?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)