|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Devil's Attic?
(a) The place where the tunnel inhabitants bury their dead.
(b) The highest level of the tunnels.
(c) The area occupied only by murderers.
(d) The lowest level of the city.
2. What is Snow preparing to do at the opening of Chapter 1?
3. What was the conclusion made by the medical examiner after examining the teeth marks on the bones of the victims?
(a) The were made by rats.
(b) They were made by Mbwun.
(c) They were most likely made by humans.
(d) They were not teeth marks.
4. Who is Hayward's boss?
5. What was on the pair of athletic socks found at the site of the first homeless murder?
(a) Rat droppings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pendergast's place of residence called?
2. What does "DISH" stand for in the discussion between Frock, D'Agosta, and Brambell?
3. What shocking news does Frock give Margo in Chapter 22?
4. What is the name of the curator for the New York Museum of Natural History?
5. Why is Nick Bitterman going to Belveder Castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the homeless referred to as "moles"?
2. Police work seems to involve a lot of political jostling and brown-nosing. How is that concept illustrated in Chapter 11?
3. How might Margo's expertise in ethnopharmacology be an example of foreshadowing?
4. What does Pendergast reveal about Hayward? How does Hayward feel about this revelation? How does D'Agosta feel about this revelation?
5. What about the Museum of Natural History makes its atmosphere àpropos to a book of this genre?
6. What seems to be the reason that the unknown character in Chapter 8 holds the Ceremony?
7. Why is there so much excitement surrounding the second skeleton found in the polluted Cloaca?
8. What is ironic about using the muse of rhetoric, Polyhymnia, to name an ornate club in Chapter 10? Does its patronage seem to have anything to do with it?
9. What are the repercussions of the $100,000 reward posted by Bill Smithback and the Post?
10. Why do you think people of so many disciplines are called in to examine the two skeletons found in the river?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)