|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Smithback and Margo have drinks after he runs into her while she is jogging?
(a) Café des Artistes.
(b) Hard Rock Cafe.
(c) The Rainbow Room.
(d) Four Seasons.
2. How are Pendergast and D'Agosta dressed in Chapter 23, as they make their way toward the tunnels?
(a) As doctors.
(b) As police officers.
(c) As normal citizens.
(d) As homeless men.
3. What is the Devil's Attic?
(a) The lowest level of the city.
(b) The area occupied only by murderers.
(c) The highest level of the tunnels.
(d) The place where the tunnel inhabitants bury their dead.
4. What business with Mephisto does Pendergast tell the squatters he has?
(b) Money laundering.
5. What is the ever-present threat in the tunnels?
(a) Rabid dogs.
(b) The third rail.
(c) Mentally ill inhabitants.
6. What do Nick and Tanya do with their champagne glasses once they are empty?
(a) They smash them on the stones.
(b) They throw them into the pond.
(c) The wrap them carefully for future celebrations.
(d) They refill them.
7. What stench does D'Agosta try to dilute with the plume of smoke?
(a) Unwashed human bodies.
(b) Bad wine.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Rancid urine.
8. What was the Tower modeled after?
(a) The Tower of London.
(b) The Welsh castle of Caernarvon.
(c) The Eiffel Tower.
(d) All answers are correct.
9. What is the name of the Chihuahua that tries to attack D'Agosta?
(a) Little Man.
(c) Petit Chou.
10. On what item does D'Agosta strike a match in Chapter 7?
(a) The matchbox.
(b) All answers are incorrect.
(c) The sole of his shoe.
(d) The underside of his desk.
11. Why does Margo say she likes Smithback's second article on Pamela Wisher?
(a) He wrote very eloquently.
(b) He didn't objectify the victim.
(c) All of the answers are incorrect.
(d) He answered every possible question about Pamela.
12. How many homeless people have allegedly been murdered in the tunnels in the last four months?
13. What is the name for the crime reporter for the Times?
(a) Bill Smithback.
(b) Marion Ross.
(c) Bryce Harriman.
(d) Bob Wisher.
14. What is a Stumpiniceps troglodytes?
(a) An oceanic bottom-feeder of the Carboniferous period.
(b) A tree-dwelling serpent from the Triassic period.
(c) A small, odoriferous reptile of the Cretaceous period.
(d) A rodent, much like a mouse, from the Carboniferous period.
15. What does the frieze in Linnaeus Hall represent?
(b) Man's inhumanity to man.
(c) The world's extinct species.
(d) God's creation of the world and mankind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters in Chapter 12 detest each other?
2. In what month does the book begin?
3. What does the trio find in the cubby where the second headless body was found?
4. What is the identity of the deformed skeleton?
5. Why is Nick Bitterman going to Belveder Castle?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)