|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
2. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
3. What items are in the mailbox when Jody returns home from school in Chapter 3?
4. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
5. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. Choose three instances of foreshadowing from anywhere in the text and discuss what each instance will come to mean.
Essay Topic 2
Jody spends a lot of time alone on the ranch. Choosing three specific instances where Jody is spending time alone, discuss what each instance shows the reader about Jody's personality (through what Jody chooses to do -- or not to do -- while spending time with himself).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)