|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing Jody remembers his grandfather talking about?
2. What nickname does Jody give to his imaginary horse?
3. How does Jody's grandfather arrive at the ranch?
4. When Jody finally brings Grandfather his drink, where does he sit?
5. What month is it when Chapter 4 opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Jody never actually goes to visit the mountains within the novel, they play a key role in the text. Choose three instances where the mountains are discussed and how, in each instance, they play a role within the story (plot development, character development, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
Jody spends a lot of time alone on the ranch. Choosing three specific instances where Jody is spending time alone, discuss what each instance shows the reader about Jody's personality (through what Jody chooses to do -- or not to do -- while spending time with himself).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel, making sure to discuss how Steinbeck concludes (or doesn't conclude) at least two themes of the novel and what he implies will happen to at least 2 characters in the future.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)