|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
2. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
3. How does the Tiflin family learn that Mrs. Tiflin's father will be coming to visit?
4. Who is the only person to encourage Grandfather's storytelling during his first night at the Tiflins?
5. What makes Jody excited about seeing the mailbox when Chapter 3 opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in _The Red Pony_ is very limited and traditional in the text. Write an argument paper that discusses whether or not this is representative of women's roles at the time or if the author has simply treated the one female character of the text (Mrs. Tiflin) in a misogynistic and patronizing manner.
Essay Topic 2
The roles and responsibilities of men are a theme of _The Red Pony_. Present an argument paper that argues that Billy Buck OR Carl is more of a father figure to Carl throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel, making sure to discuss how Steinbeck concludes (or doesn't conclude) at least two themes of the novel and what he implies will happen to at least 2 characters in the future.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)