|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
2. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
3. What does Billy Buck say about how Nellie is handling her pregnancy?
4. What drink does Jody offer to make for his Grandfather when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
5. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The roles and responsibilities of men are a theme of _The Red Pony_. Present an argument paper that argues that Billy Buck OR Carl is more of a father figure to Carl throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
A sense of place is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. In a well-structured essay, discuss at least three ways that the setting of _The Red Pony_ plays into the novel in a way that another, different setting could not have done.
Essay Topic 3
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)