|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandfather react to Jody's invitation to help in the mouse hunt?
2. What does Mrs. Tiflin claim was the biggest thing in her father's life?
3. What does Billy Buck do to show his respect for Grandfather?
4. When does Nellie finally begin to show signs of pregnancy?
5. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The final scene in Chapter 3 (where Billy kills Nellie to save the colt) is one of the most important in the text. Discuss the reasons why Billy chooses the colt over Nellie and what this decision shows the reader about his own character as well as about his relationship with Jody.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
Essay Topic 3
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)