|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
2. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
3. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
4. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
5. Where does Jody offer to meet his grandfather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel, making sure to discuss how Steinbeck concludes (or doesn't conclude) at least two themes of the novel and what he implies will happen to at least 2 characters in the future.
Essay Topic 3
Male characters' displays of emotion take quite a variety of forms throughout _The Red Pony_. Choose three specific instances of when one male character has shown (or not shown) emotion and what the reader learns about that character as a result of how they behave emotionally.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)