|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does Jody offer to make for his Grandfather when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
2. How do the other horses react when Nellie is supposedly giving birth?
3. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
4. What reason does Mrs. Tiflin give about why it takes Grandfather so long to rise in the morning?
5. What does Mrs. Tiflin claim was the biggest thing in her father's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in _The Red Pony_ is very limited and traditional in the text. Write an argument paper that discusses whether or not this is representative of women's roles at the time or if the author has simply treated the one female character of the text (Mrs. Tiflin) in a misogynistic and patronizing manner.
Essay Topic 3
While _The Red Pony_ does not have many characters, the characters it does have are very complex and complicated. Choose one character and discuss 1) why you think this character is the *most* complicated character of the text and 2) what literary devices Steinbeck uses to convey this character's complicated nature to the reader.
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)