|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals are living under the haystack on the Tiflin ranch?
2. What topic does Grandfather bring up during his first dinner at the Tiflin ranch?
3. How long does Billy say it takes for a colt to be born?
4. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
5. What drink does Jody offer to make for his Grandfather when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 3 has significantly more violence than the other chapters in the book. Discuss at least 2 instances where violence appears and what Steinbeck is trying to convey by putting violence into an otherwise non-violent text.
Essay Topic 2
The roles and responsibilities of men are a theme of _The Red Pony_. Present an argument paper that argues that Billy Buck OR Carl is more of a father figure to Carl throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
While _The Red Pony_ does not have many characters, the characters it does have are very complex and complicated. Choose one character and discuss 1) why you think this character is the *most* complicated character of the text and 2) what literary devices Steinbeck uses to convey this character's complicated nature to the reader.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)