|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jody offer to meet his grandfather?
2. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
3. How long does Grandfather say he is planning to stay with the Tiflins?
4. What time is it when Jody first leaves the barn after the horse's birth?
5. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
Essay Topic 1
The roles and responsibilities of men are a theme of _The Red Pony_. Present an argument paper that argues that Billy Buck OR Carl is more of a father figure to Carl throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
A sense of place is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. In a well-structured essay, discuss at least three ways that the setting of _The Red Pony_ plays into the novel in a way that another, different setting could not have done.
Essay Topic 3
While _The Red Pony_ does not have many characters, the characters it does have are very complex and complicated. Choose one character and discuss 1) why you think this character is the *most* complicated character of the text and 2) what literary devices Steinbeck uses to convey this character's complicated nature to the reader.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)