|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy Buck say about how Nellie is handling her pregnancy?
2. Why has Jody been told to take Nellie to someone else's ranch?
3. How does Jody feel about Grandfather's comment about how much he has grown?
4. What does Carl tell Jody not to blame on Billy?
5. During the first dinner with Grandfather, what does Billy say makes people hungrier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
Essay Topic 2
The roles and responsibilities of men are a theme of _The Red Pony_. Present an argument paper that argues that Billy Buck OR Carl is more of a father figure to Carl throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)