Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
2. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
3. What items are in the mailbox when Jody returns home from school in Chapter 3?
4. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
5. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
The final scene in Chapter 3 (where Billy kills Nellie to save the colt) is one of the most important in the text. Discuss the reasons why Billy chooses the colt over Nellie and what this decision shows the reader about his own character as well as about his relationship with Jody.
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)