Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy know there is a problem with Nellie's pregnancy?
2. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
3. When Jody is worried about Nellie, what does Carl tell Jody about Billy?
4. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
5. What role does Carl play in the horse's birth?
There are several instances in _The Red Pony_ where Jody very deliberately conceals his actions from the adults of the novel. Pick one instance in each chapter where this occurs and discuss what it shows the reader about Jody's character (including how his character is maturing, if at all, as the novel progresses).
While _The Red Pony_ does not have many characters, the characters it does have are very complex and complicated. Choose one character and discuss 1) why you think this character is the *most* complicated character of the text and 2) what literary devices Steinbeck uses to convey this character's complicated nature to the reader.
Write an argument paper discussing who is responsible for Gabilan's death. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)