Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
2. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
3. What items are in the mailbox when Jody returns home from school in Chapter 3?
4. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
5. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
The final scene in Chapter 3 (where Billy kills Nellie to save the colt) is one of the most important in the text. Discuss the reasons why Billy chooses the colt over Nellie and what this decision shows the reader about his own character as well as about his relationship with Jody.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel, making sure to discuss how Steinbeck concludes (or doesn't conclude) at least two themes of the novel and what he implies will happen to at least 2 characters in the future.
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)