|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carl tell Grandfather in front of everyone about what Grandfather has overheard?
2. Who picks up Jody and puts him on a horse for safety?
3. What season is it when Chapter 3 opens?
4. How much advanced notice do the Tiflins have of Grandfather's visit?
5. What does Carl tell Jody not to blame on Billy?
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in _The Red Pony_ is very limited and traditional in the text. Write an argument paper that discusses whether or not this is representative of women's roles at the time or if the author has simply treated the one female character of the text (Mrs. Tiflin) in a misogynistic and patronizing manner.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
Essay Topic 3
Male characters' displays of emotion take quite a variety of forms throughout _The Red Pony_. Choose three specific instances of when one male character has shown (or not shown) emotion and what the reader learns about that character as a result of how they behave emotionally.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)