|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of horse does Jody fantasize about having?
2. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
3. How do the other horses react when Nellie is supposedly giving birth?
4. Why is Mrs. Tiflin suspicious of Jody's request to get his Grandfather a drink?
5. Why has Jody been told to take Nellie to someone else's ranch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jody spends a lot of time alone on the ranch. Choosing three specific instances where Jody is spending time alone, discuss what each instance shows the reader about Jody's personality (through what Jody chooses to do -- or not to do -- while spending time with himself).
Essay Topic 2
Perhaps because of the nature of a cattle ranch, blood makes multiple appearances in _The Red Pony_. Discuss the use of blood in the novel. Is it positive? Negative? What does it represent? Does its symbolism change? How can a reader make sense of blood when it makes an appearance in the text?
Essay Topic 3
A theme throughout _The Red Pony_ is Jody's transition from boyhood to manhood. Choose one particular moment when you think this transition officially happens, making sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)