|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jody picked up and put on a horse for safety?
2. How does Grandfather react to Jody's invitation to help in the mouse hunt?
3. What interrupts Grandfather's storytelling the first night he is visiting the Tiflins?
4. What does Jody imagine doing with his imaginary horse?
5. Whose ranch has Jody been told to take Nellie to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several instances in _The Red Pony_ where Jody very deliberately conceals his actions from the adults of the novel. Pick one instance in each chapter where this occurs and discuss what it shows the reader about Jody's character (including how his character is maturing, if at all, as the novel progresses).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
Essay Topic 3
The final scene in Chapter 3 (where Billy kills Nellie to save the colt) is one of the most important in the text. Discuss the reasons why Billy chooses the colt over Nellie and what this decision shows the reader about his own character as well as about his relationship with Jody.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)