Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
2. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
3. What items are in the mailbox when Jody returns home from school in Chapter 3?
4. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
5. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
While _The Red Pony_ does not have many characters, the characters it does have are very complex and complicated. Choose one character and discuss 1) why you think this character is the *most* complicated character of the text and 2) what literary devices Steinbeck uses to convey this character's complicated nature to the reader.
The roles and responsibilities of men are a theme of _The Red Pony_. Present an argument paper that argues that Billy Buck OR Carl is more of a father figure to Carl throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your position.
Much of Jody's energy in Chapter 4 is focused on asking questions of his grandfather about his past and his past adventures. Discuss why Steinbeck focuses so much on this and what it shows about Jody's character as the novel reaches its conclusion. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your positions.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)