|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other horses react when Nellie is supposedly giving birth?
2. What does Carl tell Jody not to blame on Billy?
3. How does Jody's grandfather arrive at the ranch?
4. How does Grandfather react to what he overhears in the kitchen the morning after he arrives?
5. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jody spends a lot of time alone on the ranch. Choosing three specific instances where Jody is spending time alone, discuss what each instance shows the reader about Jody's personality (through what Jody chooses to do -- or not to do -- while spending time with himself).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
Essay Topic 3
The final scene in Chapter 3 (where Billy kills Nellie to save the colt) is one of the most important in the text. Discuss the reasons why Billy chooses the colt over Nellie and what this decision shows the reader about his own character as well as about his relationship with Jody.
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)