|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jody spend most of his time during January?
2. What happens to Nellie while Jody is trying to take her somewhere?
3. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
4. What role does Carl play in the horse's birth?
5. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
Essay Topic 2
Perhaps because of the nature of a cattle ranch, blood makes multiple appearances in _The Red Pony_. Discuss the use of blood in the novel. Is it positive? Negative? What does it represent? Does its symbolism change? How can a reader make sense of blood when it makes an appearance in the text?
Essay Topic 3
A sense of place is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. In a well-structured essay, discuss at least three ways that the setting of _The Red Pony_ plays into the novel in a way that another, different setting could not have done.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)