|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy eventually get the baby colt out?
2. When Jody wakes up crying in Chapter 3, what does his mother say to calm him down?
3. What does Jody tell Grandfather has happened to Riley?
4. How does the Tiflin family learn that Mrs. Tiflin's father will be coming to visit?
5. What happens to Nellie while Jody is trying to take her somewhere?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perhaps because of the nature of a cattle ranch, blood makes multiple appearances in _The Red Pony_. Discuss the use of blood in the novel. Is it positive? Negative? What does it represent? Does its symbolism change? How can a reader make sense of blood when it makes an appearance in the text?
Essay Topic 2
There are several instances in _The Red Pony_ where Jody very deliberately conceals his actions from the adults of the novel. Pick one instance in each chapter where this occurs and discuss what it shows the reader about Jody's character (including how his character is maturing, if at all, as the novel progresses).
Essay Topic 3
The final scene in Chapter 3 (where Billy kills Nellie to save the colt) is one of the most important in the text. Discuss the reasons why Billy chooses the colt over Nellie and what this decision shows the reader about his own character as well as about his relationship with Jody.
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)