|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Nellie while Jody is trying to take her somewhere?
2. When Jody wakes up crying in Chapter 3, what does his mother say to calm him down?
3. Where does everyone sit after dinner when Grandfather is first visiting?
4. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
5. What does Billy do to try to fix Nellie's problem with the delivery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme throughout _The Red Pony_ is Jody's transition from boyhood to manhood. Choose one particular moment when you think this transition officially happens, making sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 3 has significantly more violence than the other chapters in the book. Discuss at least 2 instances where violence appears and what Steinbeck is trying to convey by putting violence into an otherwise non-violent text.
Essay Topic 3
A sense of place is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. In a well-structured essay, discuss at least three ways that the setting of _The Red Pony_ plays into the novel in a way that another, different setting could not have done.
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)