|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Jody excited about seeing the mailbox when Chapter 3 opens?
2. Where does Jody offer to meet his grandfather?
3. Who picks up Jody and puts him on a horse for safety?
4. What does Mrs. Tiflin claim was the biggest thing in her father's life?
5. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
Essay Topic 2
The roles and responsibilities of men are a theme of _The Red Pony_. Present an argument paper that argues that Billy Buck OR Carl is more of a father figure to Carl throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
A sense of place is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. In a well-structured essay, discuss at least three ways that the setting of _The Red Pony_ plays into the novel in a way that another, different setting could not have done.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)