|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose ranch has Jody been told to take Nellie to?
2. What interrupts Grandfather's storytelling the first night he is visiting the Tiflins?
3. What does Jody decide to name the new colt?
4. What month is it when Chapter 4 opens?
5. Who answers most of Jody's questions about the colt that is supposed to be coming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perhaps because of the nature of a cattle ranch, blood makes multiple appearances in _The Red Pony_. Discuss the use of blood in the novel. Is it positive? Negative? What does it represent? Does its symbolism change? How can a reader make sense of blood when it makes an appearance in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Male characters' displays of emotion take quite a variety of forms throughout _The Red Pony_. Choose three specific instances of when one male character has shown (or not shown) emotion and what the reader learns about that character as a result of how they behave emotionally.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel, making sure to discuss how Steinbeck concludes (or doesn't conclude) at least two themes of the novel and what he implies will happen to at least 2 characters in the future.
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)