|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Jody excited about seeing the mailbox when Chapter 3 opens?
2. What role does Carl play in the horse's birth?
3. What does Billy end up doing to Nellie?
4. During the first dinner with Grandfather, what does Billy say makes people hungrier?
5. How long does Grandfather say he is planning to stay with the Tiflins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in _The Red Pony_ is very limited and traditional in the text. Write an argument paper that discusses whether or not this is representative of women's roles at the time or if the author has simply treated the one female character of the text (Mrs. Tiflin) in a misogynistic and patronizing manner.
Essay Topic 2
Write an argument paper discussing who is responsible for Gabilan's death. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
While Jody never actually goes to visit the mountains within the novel, they play a key role in the text. Choose three instances where the mountains are discussed and how, in each instance, they play a role within the story (plot development, character development, etc.).
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)