|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Carl play in the horse's birth?
2. How does Jody's grandfather arrive at the ranch?
3. What items are in the mailbox when Jody returns home from school in Chapter 3?
4. How long does Grandfather say he is planning to stay with the Tiflins?
5. What does Jody tell Grandfather has happened to Riley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Jody never actually goes to visit the mountains within the novel, they play a key role in the text. Choose three instances where the mountains are discussed and how, in each instance, they play a role within the story (plot development, character development, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
Male characters' displays of emotion take quite a variety of forms throughout _The Red Pony_. Choose three specific instances of when one male character has shown (or not shown) emotion and what the reader learns about that character as a result of how they behave emotionally.
Essay Topic 3
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)