|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
2. What does Mrs. Tiflin claim was the biggest thing in her father's life?
3. What makes Jody excited about seeing the mailbox when Chapter 3 opens?
4. What is the one thing Jody remembers his grandfather talking about?
5. What does Grandfather overhear in the Tiflin kitchen the morning after he arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The roles and responsibilities of men are a theme of _The Red Pony_. Present an argument paper that argues that Billy Buck OR Carl is more of a father figure to Carl throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Was it fair for Billy Buck to continue to encourage Jody about his pony's health, even as the pony continued to get sicker and sicker? Present three reasons why this was or was not appropriate for Billy Buck to do, making sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
While Jody never actually goes to visit the mountains within the novel, they play a key role in the text. Choose three instances where the mountains are discussed and how, in each instance, they play a role within the story (plot development, character development, etc.).
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)