|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
2. What is the one thing Jody remembers his grandfather talking about?
3. What items are in the mailbox when Jody returns home from school in Chapter 3?
4. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
5. How long does Grandfather say he is planning to stay with the Tiflins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. Choose three instances of foreshadowing from anywhere in the text and discuss what each instance will come to mean.
Essay Topic 2
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
Essay Topic 3
Much of Jody's energy in Chapter 4 is focused on asking questions of his grandfather about his past and his past adventures. Discuss why Steinbeck focuses so much on this and what it shows about Jody's character as the novel reaches its conclusion. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your positions.
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)