Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
2. Where does Jess report Gitano was heading?
3. What is Billy Buck best known for?
4. Who is Smasher?
5. How can Jody tell the man approaching his house in Chapter 2 is older?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
2. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
3. How has Billy been able to gauge Jody's skill with horses?
4. What has Jody's mom told him about the mountains?
5. What does Gitano tell Jody and his mother the first time he meets them?
6. Why does Carl ask Gitano if he has relatives anywhere nearby?
7. How does Jody get Gabilan used to wearing a saddle?
8. Why is Jody pleased to smell brandy on his father's breath when he and Billy Buck return from purchasing the pony?
9. Why is Carl so mad when he first learns of Grandfather's plans to visit the Tiflins?
10. After Jody initially peppers him with questions, what does Gitano finally say about the mountains?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel, making sure to discuss how Steinbeck concludes (or doesn't conclude) at least two themes of the novel and what he implies will happen to at least 2 characters in the future.
Essay Topic 2
Write an argument paper discussing who is responsible for Gabilan's death. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Jody spends a lot of time alone on the ranch. Choosing three specific instances where Jody is spending time alone, discuss what each instance shows the reader about Jody's personality (through what Jody chooses to do -- or not to do -- while spending time with himself).
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)