|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of horse was Easter when he was younger?
2. What is Billy Buck best known for?
3. What item did Carl and Billy get to go with the pony?
4. What color skin does Gitano have?
5. What does Jody have to do when he comes home from school every day?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Jody's mother often finds his hands to be dirty, why doesn't she make him wash them?
2. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
3. What does Carl joke would be needed for Gitano to be put out to pasture?
4. What does Jody realize that Carl is trying to do to Gitano through the way he is speaking with him?
5. Why doesn't Carl allow shooting near the house?
6. What kind of catalog gets Jody so excited when he finds it in his mailbox?
7. Why doesn't Jody let his friends ride his new pony when he shows it to them for the first time?
8. What has Billy Buck told Jody about the mountains?
9. Why does everyone on the ranch eat such a hearty breakfast?
10. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of Jody's energy in Chapter 4 is focused on asking questions of his grandfather about his past and his past adventures. Discuss why Steinbeck focuses so much on this and what it shows about Jody's character as the novel reaches its conclusion. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your positions.
Essay Topic 2
Was it fair for Billy Buck to continue to encourage Jody about his pony's health, even as the pony continued to get sicker and sicker? Present three reasons why this was or was not appropriate for Billy Buck to do, making sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
The final scene in Chapter 3 (where Billy kills Nellie to save the colt) is one of the most important in the text. Discuss the reasons why Billy chooses the colt over Nellie and what this decision shows the reader about his own character as well as about his relationship with Jody.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)