Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
2. Where does Jess report Gitano was heading?
3. What is Billy Buck best known for?
4. Who is Smasher?
5. How can Jody tell the man approaching his house in Chapter 2 is older?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
2. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
3. How has Billy been able to gauge Jody's skill with horses?
4. What has Jody's mom told him about the mountains?
5. What does Gitano tell Jody and his mother the first time he meets them?
6. Why does Carl ask Gitano if he has relatives anywhere nearby?
7. How does Jody get Gabilan used to wearing a saddle?
8. Why is Jody pleased to smell brandy on his father's breath when he and Billy Buck return from purchasing the pony?
9. Why is Carl so mad when he first learns of Grandfather's plans to visit the Tiflins?
10. After Jody initially peppers him with questions, what does Gitano finally say about the mountains?
Essay Topic 1
The final scene in Chapter 3 (where Billy kills Nellie to save the colt) is one of the most important in the text. Discuss the reasons why Billy chooses the colt over Nellie and what this decision shows the reader about his own character as well as about his relationship with Jody.
Essay Topic 2
Much of Jody's energy in Chapter 4 is focused on asking questions of his grandfather about his past and his past adventures. Discuss why Steinbeck focuses so much on this and what it shows about Jody's character as the novel reaches its conclusion. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your positions.
Essay Topic 3
The roles and responsibilities of men are a theme of _The Red Pony_. Present an argument paper that argues that Billy Buck OR Carl is more of a father figure to Carl throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)