|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the novel opens, what are Carl and Billy going to do?
2. How does Jody's mom feel about his dedication to the red pony?
3. Where is the infected lump located on the pony?
4. What does Jess Taylor report the horse rider was carrying?
5. Where are pigs prepared for slaughter and slaughtered on the ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the mountains seem less threatening to Jody?
2. What problem does Billy warn Jody about when it comes to Nellie giving birth?
3. What signals to Jody that Billy Buck and Carl have something unusual planned on the day he is given his pony?
4. How does Mrs. Tiflin feel about Gitano staying at the ranch?
5. How does Jody react when he realizes he has killed a bird for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
6. What does Carl say to Gitano about what should happen to old things?
7. Why does Jody stop running right before he meets Grandfather along the road?
8. What responsibility did Grandfather have as a leader during the crossing of the plains?
9. What kinds of animals does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
10. Why does everyone on the ranch eat such a hearty breakfast?
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. Choose three instances of foreshadowing from anywhere in the text and discuss what each instance will come to mean.
Essay Topic 2
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
Essay Topic 3
While Jody never actually goes to visit the mountains within the novel, they play a key role in the text. Choose three instances where the mountains are discussed and how, in each instance, they play a role within the story (plot development, character development, etc.).
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)