|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jody feel the way he does after Gitano leaves?
2. How does Jody feel about the Gabilan mountains when Chapter 2 opens?
3. What does Jody have to do when he comes home from school every day?
4. What color hair does Gitano have?
5. Why is Jody so concerned about the rain and his pony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jody realize that Carl is trying to do to Gitano through the way he is speaking with him?
2. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
3. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
4. How will Jody pay back his father for the $5 it will take to breed Nellie with a stallion?
5. Why does Carl ask Gitano if he has relatives anywhere nearby?
6. Why is Jody pleased to smell brandy on his father's breath when he and Billy Buck return from purchasing the pony?
7. Why does Jody stop running right before he meets Grandfather along the road?
8. What must Jody do to keep his pony?
9. According to Jody, how does Gabilan express himself?
10. What does Jody put into the past once he starts preparing to take care of Nellie and, once it comes, the new horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in _The Red Pony_ is very limited and traditional in the text. Write an argument paper that discusses whether or not this is representative of women's roles at the time or if the author has simply treated the one female character of the text (Mrs. Tiflin) in a misogynistic and patronizing manner.
Essay Topic 3
There are several instances in _The Red Pony_ where Jody very deliberately conceals his actions from the adults of the novel. Pick one instance in each chapter where this occurs and discuss what it shows the reader about Jody's character (including how his character is maturing, if at all, as the novel progresses).
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)