|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Jody's pony gets sicker, what life-saving procedure must Billy do to keep it alive?
2. What does the pony's name mean?
3. Who is Billy Buck?
4. How long does Carl say Gitano can initially stay for?
5. How is Billy's horse often described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What country owned the Tiflin ranch when Gitano was born there?
2. Why is Carl so mad when he first learns of Grandfather's plans to visit the Tiflins?
3. What responsibility did Grandfather have as a leader during the crossing of the plains?
4. What is Grandfather's opinion of Billy?
5. What has Billy told Carl about Jody's skill with horses?
6. How will Jody pay back his father for the $5 it will take to breed Nellie with a stallion?
7. What features of Gabilan is Jody most proud of?
8. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
9. How long does Jody have to go to get to school?
10. Why does Jody go to visit Nellie every day after he brings her back from Jess's ranch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The final scene in Chapter 3 (where Billy kills Nellie to save the colt) is one of the most important in the text. Discuss the reasons why Billy chooses the colt over Nellie and what this decision shows the reader about his own character as well as about his relationship with Jody.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)