|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair does Gitano have?
2. What does Gitano eat for breakfast the day after he arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
3. Who is Jess Taylor?
4. How does Jody feel when Carl and Billy are taking him out to show him his pony for the first time?
5. How does Jody feel about the Gabilan mountains when Chapter 2 opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Billy, makes him "half horse"?
2. How long have the mice been living under the haystack (at the beginning of Chapter 4)?
3. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
4. How has Billy been able to gauge Jody's skill with horses?
5. Why does Nellie break her rope when Jody is leading her to the neighbor's house?
6. What signals to Jody that Billy Buck and Carl have something unusual planned on the day he is given his pony?
7. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
8. What responsibility did Grandfather have as a leader during the crossing of the plains?
9. What kinds of animals does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
10. When Jody first spots Gitano coming down the road, where does he appear to be coming from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel, making sure to discuss how Steinbeck concludes (or doesn't conclude) at least two themes of the novel and what he implies will happen to at least 2 characters in the future.
Essay Topic 2
Jody spends a lot of time alone on the ranch. Choosing three specific instances where Jody is spending time alone, discuss what each instance shows the reader about Jody's personality (through what Jody chooses to do -- or not to do -- while spending time with himself).
Essay Topic 3
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)