|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carl suggest Gitano go after he leaves the Tiflin ranch?
2. How does Jody feel when Carl and Billy are taking him out to show him his pony for the first time?
3. What has Gitano actually stolen from Carl?
4. Who is Easter?
5. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
2. What does Gitano tell Jody and his mother the first time he meets them?
3. What features of Gabilan is Jody most proud of?
4. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
5. What does Carl mean when he calls Jody "Big-Britches"?
6. How does Mrs. Tiflin request Carl treat her father once he arrives?
7. How long does Jody have to go to get to school?
8. How does Mrs. Tiflin defend Jody from his father's accusation that he is a "Big-Britches"?
9. How will Jody pay back his father for the $5 it will take to breed Nellie with a stallion?
10. Why doesn't Carl allow shooting near the house?
Essay Topic 1
A sense of place is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. In a well-structured essay, discuss at least three ways that the setting of _The Red Pony_ plays into the novel in a way that another, different setting could not have done.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
Essay Topic 3
Perhaps because of the nature of a cattle ranch, blood makes multiple appearances in _The Red Pony_. Discuss the use of blood in the novel. Is it positive? Negative? What does it represent? Does its symbolism change? How can a reader make sense of blood when it makes an appearance in the text?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)