|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jody Tiflin when the novel begins?
2. What kind of information is Jody eager to get out of Gitano?
3. How does Jody's father react when he meets Gitano for the first time?
4. As Jody's pony gets sicker, what life-saving procedure must Billy do to keep it alive?
5. How is Carl's character first described?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Tiflin feel about Gitano staying at the ranch?
2. What responsibility did Grandfather have as a leader during the crossing of the plains?
3. What does Carl mean when he calls Jody "Big-Britches"?
4. What does Jody put into the past once he starts preparing to take care of Nellie and, once it comes, the new horse?
5. What kind of weather are Jody and Billy discussing at the opening of Chapter 4?
6. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
7. What does Jody mean when he says his mouth "works"?
8. Why doesn't Jody let his friends ride his new pony when he shows it to them for the first time?
9. What has Billy told Carl about Jody's skill with horses?
10. What makes the mountains seem less threatening to Jody?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
Essay Topic 2
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)