|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carl react to the confirmation that Gitano is with Easter?
2. How does Jody's father react when he meets Gitano for the first time?
3. How does Jody feel when Carl and Billy are taking him out to show him his pony for the first time?
4. What kind of gun does Jody have?
5. Where are pigs prepared for slaughter and slaughtered on the ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jody realize that Carl is trying to do to Gitano through the way he is speaking with him?
2. What does Gitano tell Jody and his mother the first time he meets them?
3. What kinds of animals does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
4. What does Jody mean when he says his mouth "works"?
5. What has Billy told Carl about Jody's skill with horses?
6. How does Grandfather respond to seeing Jody for the first time?
7. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
8. What is Grandfather's opinion of Billy?
9. What responsibility did Grandfather have as a leader during the crossing of the plains?
10. How does Jody react when he realizes he has killed a bird for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. Choose three instances of foreshadowing from anywhere in the text and discuss what each instance will come to mean.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
Essay Topic 3
Perhaps because of the nature of a cattle ranch, blood makes multiple appearances in _The Red Pony_. Discuss the use of blood in the novel. Is it positive? Negative? What does it represent? Does its symbolism change? How can a reader make sense of blood when it makes an appearance in the text?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)