|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Billy Buck best known for?
2. What season is it when Chapter 2 opens?
3. How does Jody get to school?
4. How old is Jody Tiflin when the novel begins?
5. Where is the infected lump located on the pony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does everyone on the ranch eat such a hearty breakfast?
2. What does Grandfather say about how dry it was in '87 and '61?
3. Why does Billy Buck not enter the kitchen before anyone else?
4. Why is Carl so mad when he first learns of Grandfather's plans to visit the Tiflins?
5. What must Jody do to keep his pony?
6. After Jody initially peppers him with questions, what does Gitano finally say about the mountains?
7. What signals to Jody that Billy Buck and Carl have something unusual planned on the day he is given his pony?
8. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
9. What lie does Jody tell when Carl asks him where he's been, when he's really been talking with Gitano late at night?
10. What familiar story does Grandfather start to tell around the fire on his first night with the Tiflins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an argument paper discussing who is responsible for Gabilan's death. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
While _The Red Pony_ does not have many characters, the characters it does have are very complex and complicated. Choose one character and discuss 1) why you think this character is the *most* complicated character of the text and 2) what literary devices Steinbeck uses to convey this character's complicated nature to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
The roles and responsibilities of men are a theme of _The Red Pony_. Present an argument paper that argues that Billy Buck OR Carl is more of a father figure to Carl throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)