|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gitano eat for breakfast the day after he arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
2. For whom does Billy Buck work?
3. Where did Carl get the pony from?
4. When Carl and Billy first return from being gone when the novel opens, what does Jody smell on their breath?
5. What does Jody initially want to name the pony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How will Jody pay back his father for the $5 it will take to breed Nellie with a stallion?
2. How long does Jody have to go to get to school?
3. Why does Jody go to visit Nellie every day after he brings her back from Jess's ranch?
4. Why is Jody pleased to smell brandy on his father's breath when he and Billy Buck return from purchasing the pony?
5. What problem does Billy warn Jody about when it comes to Nellie giving birth?
6. What kind of catalog gets Jody so excited when he finds it in his mailbox?
7. What is Grandfather's opinion of Billy?
8. According to Jody, how does Gabilan express himself?
9. After he is given the pony, when does Jody begin waking up in the morning?
10. What has Jody's mom told him about the mountains?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Jody never actually goes to visit the mountains within the novel, they play a key role in the text. Choose three instances where the mountains are discussed and how, in each instance, they play a role within the story (plot development, character development, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
Essay Topic 3
Jody spends a lot of time alone on the ranch. Choosing three specific instances where Jody is spending time alone, discuss what each instance shows the reader about Jody's personality (through what Jody chooses to do -- or not to do -- while spending time with himself).
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)