|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Billy Buck best known for?
2. What is the "carrion" that Jody mentions the buzzards are helpful with?
3. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
4. How can Jody tell the man approaching his house in Chapter 2 is older?
5. What kind of shoes does Jody Tiflin wear in late summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Billy Buck told Jody about the mountains?
2. What features of Gabilan is Jody most proud of?
3. What responsibility did Grandfather have as a leader during the crossing of the plains?
4. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
5. When Chapter 3 opens, what does Jody imagine he is leading on his way home from school?
6. Why doesn't Jody let his friends ride his new pony when he shows it to them for the first time?
7. Why does Jody stop running right before he meets Grandfather along the road?
8. What does Grandfather say about how dry it was in '87 and '61?
9. What has Jody's mom told him about the mountains?
10. Why is Jody pleased to smell brandy on his father's breath when he and Billy Buck return from purchasing the pony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Jody never actually goes to visit the mountains within the novel, they play a key role in the text. Choose three instances where the mountains are discussed and how, in each instance, they play a role within the story (plot development, character development, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
A sense of place is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. In a well-structured essay, discuss at least three ways that the setting of _The Red Pony_ plays into the novel in a way that another, different setting could not have done.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. Choose three instances of foreshadowing from anywhere in the text and discuss what each instance will come to mean.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)