|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Gitano leave behind when he leaves the Tiflins?
2. Who does Jess Taylor say he saw riding Easter?
3. How does Gabilan respond to being bridle trained?
4. What does Jody have to do when he comes home from school every day?
5. Where did Carl get the pony from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How will Jody pay back his father for the $5 it will take to breed Nellie with a stallion?
2. What does Grandfather wisely say about reacting to unkind words?
3. When Chapter 3 opens, what does Jody imagine he is leading on his way home from school?
4. What does Carl say to Gitano about what should happen to old things?
5. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
6. Why does Billy Buck not enter the kitchen before anyone else?
7. What kinds of animals does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
8. What does Jody put into the past once he starts preparing to take care of Nellie and, once it comes, the new horse?
9. After he is given the pony, when does Jody begin waking up in the morning?
10. How long have the mice been living under the haystack (at the beginning of Chapter 4)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
Essay Topic 2
Male characters' displays of emotion take quite a variety of forms throughout _The Red Pony_. Choose three specific instances of when one male character has shown (or not shown) emotion and what the reader learns about that character as a result of how they behave emotionally.
Essay Topic 3
Jody spends a lot of time alone on the ranch. Choosing three specific instances where Jody is spending time alone, discuss what each instance shows the reader about Jody's personality (through what Jody chooses to do -- or not to do -- while spending time with himself).
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)