|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color skin does Gitano have?
2. As Jody's pony gets sicker, what life-saving procedure must Billy do to keep it alive?
3. When will Jody be allowed to have cartridges for his gun?
4. What is the "carrion" that Jody mentions the buzzards are helpful with?
5. How old is Jody Tiflin when the novel begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jody first spots Gitano coming down the road, where does he appear to be coming from?
2. What kind of weather are Jody and Billy discussing at the opening of Chapter 4?
3. What country owned the Tiflin ranch when Gitano was born there?
4. What problem does Billy warn Jody about when it comes to Nellie giving birth?
5. What does Carl mean when he calls Jody "Big-Britches"?
6. Why is Jody pleased to smell brandy on his father's breath when he and Billy Buck return from purchasing the pony?
7. Why does Nellie break her rope when Jody is leading her to the neighbor's house?
8. Why does Carl ask Gitano if he has relatives anywhere nearby?
9. Why doesn't Jody let his friends ride his new pony when he shows it to them for the first time?
10. What does Grandfather wisely say about reacting to unkind words?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perhaps because of the nature of a cattle ranch, blood makes multiple appearances in _The Red Pony_. Discuss the use of blood in the novel. Is it positive? Negative? What does it represent? Does its symbolism change? How can a reader make sense of blood when it makes an appearance in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Was it fair for Billy Buck to continue to encourage Jody about his pony's health, even as the pony continued to get sicker and sicker? Present three reasons why this was or was not appropriate for Billy Buck to do, making sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)