|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the pony's name mean?
2. Where does Gitano stay while at the Tiflin ranch?
3. What does Jody do after he learns Gitano has died?
4. When will Jody be allowed to have cartridges for his gun?
5. How does the pony respond to Jody when he reaches for it for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Carl told Jody about the mountains?
2. While Jody's mother often finds his hands to be dirty, why doesn't she make him wash them?
3. Why doesn't Jody let his friends ride his new pony when he shows it to them for the first time?
4. What country owned the Tiflin ranch when Gitano was born there?
5. How long have the mice been living under the haystack (at the beginning of Chapter 4)?
6. Why does Jody stop running right before he meets Grandfather along the road?
7. What are the first signs Jody sees in his pony that makes him think he is sick?
8. Why does Carl ask Gitano if he has relatives anywhere nearby?
9. Why is Carl so mad when he first learns of Grandfather's plans to visit the Tiflins?
10. How long does Jody have to go to get to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Jody never actually goes to visit the mountains within the novel, they play a key role in the text. Choose three instances where the mountains are discussed and how, in each instance, they play a role within the story (plot development, character development, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 3 has significantly more violence than the other chapters in the book. Discuss at least 2 instances where violence appears and what Steinbeck is trying to convey by putting violence into an otherwise non-violent text.
Essay Topic 3
Write an argument paper discussing who is responsible for Gabilan's death. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)