|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
2. When does Billy Buck get up?
3. Where does Gitano claim to have relatives?
4. Where does The Red Pony take place?
5. Where does Gitano stay while at the Tiflin ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jody go to visit Nellie every day after he brings her back from Jess's ranch?
2. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
3. What does Carl joke would be needed for Gitano to be put out to pasture?
4. While Jody's mother often finds his hands to be dirty, why doesn't she make him wash them?
5. What must Jody do to keep his pony?
6. Why does Nellie break her rope when Jody is leading her to the neighbor's house?
7. How long does Jody have to go to get to school?
8. What does Carl mean when he calls Jody "Big-Britches"?
9. When Chapter 3 opens, what does Jody imagine he is leading on his way home from school?
10. What makes the mountains seem less threatening to Jody?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jody spends a lot of time alone on the ranch. Choosing three specific instances where Jody is spending time alone, discuss what each instance shows the reader about Jody's personality (through what Jody chooses to do -- or not to do -- while spending time with himself).
Essay Topic 2
Write an argument paper discussing who is responsible for Gabilan's death. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Much of Jody's energy in Chapter 4 is focused on asking questions of his grandfather about his past and his past adventures. Discuss why Steinbeck focuses so much on this and what it shows about Jody's character as the novel reaches its conclusion. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your positions.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)