|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Smasher?
2. What kind of gun does Jody have?
3. How does Jody prepare for riding his pony once it is ready?
4. How does the pony respond to Jody when he reaches for it for the first time?
5. What item does Gitano leave behind when he leaves the Tiflins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of catalog gets Jody so excited when he finds it in his mailbox?
2. What signals to Jody that Billy Buck and Carl have something unusual planned on the day he is given his pony?
3. Why does Billy Buck not enter the kitchen before anyone else?
4. When Jody first spots Gitano coming down the road, where does he appear to be coming from?
5. What does Jody realize that Carl is trying to do to Gitano through the way he is speaking with him?
6. How long does Jody have to go to get to school?
7. What does Grandfather say about how dry it was in '87 and '61?
8. What responsibility did Grandfather have as a leader during the crossing of the plains?
9. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
10. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Jody never actually goes to visit the mountains within the novel, they play a key role in the text. Choose three instances where the mountains are discussed and how, in each instance, they play a role within the story (plot development, character development, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)