|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Easter?
2. How do the cow-pumpkins look when the novel first opens?
3. How is Jody's character first described?
4. What does Jody do after he learns Gitano has died?
5. How does Jody kill the animal that he kills for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What country owned the Tiflin ranch when Gitano was born there?
2. What kind of weather are Jody and Billy discussing at the opening of Chapter 4?
3. While Jody's mother often finds his hands to be dirty, why doesn't she make him wash them?
4. What kind of catalog gets Jody so excited when he finds it in his mailbox?
5. What does Carl say to Gitano about what should happen to old things?
6. What problem does Billy warn Jody about when it comes to Nellie giving birth?
7. When Chapter 3 opens, what does Jody imagine he is leading on his way home from school?
8. How long does Jody have to go to get to school?
9. What does Carl mean when he calls Jody "Big-Britches"?
10. Why does Jody stop running right before he meets Grandfather along the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While _The Red Pony_ does not have many characters, the characters it does have are very complex and complicated. Choose one character and discuss 1) why you think this character is the *most* complicated character of the text and 2) what literary devices Steinbeck uses to convey this character's complicated nature to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
While Jody never actually goes to visit the mountains within the novel, they play a key role in the text. Choose three instances where the mountains are discussed and how, in each instance, they play a role within the story (plot development, character development, etc.).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)