|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Billy Buck like to do with Easter?
2. What has Gitano actually stolen from Carl?
3. When Mrs. Tiflin talks about Gitano staying, what does Carl do?
4. What ominous sign does Jody see that lets him know his pony has died?
5. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Tiflin feel about Gitano staying at the ranch?
2. What lie does Jody tell when Carl asks him where he's been, when he's really been talking with Gitano late at night?
3. What country owned the Tiflin ranch when Gitano was born there?
4. What kind of catalog gets Jody so excited when he finds it in his mailbox?
5. What, according to Billy, makes him "half horse"?
6. While Jody's mother often finds his hands to be dirty, why doesn't she make him wash them?
7. What features of Gabilan is Jody most proud of?
8. What does Carl say to Gitano about what should happen to old things?
9. What does Jody mean when he says his mouth "works"?
10. What are the first signs Jody sees in his pony that makes him think he is sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jody spends a lot of time alone on the ranch. Choosing three specific instances where Jody is spending time alone, discuss what each instance shows the reader about Jody's personality (through what Jody chooses to do -- or not to do -- while spending time with himself).
Essay Topic 2
A theme throughout _The Red Pony_ is Jody's transition from boyhood to manhood. Choose one particular moment when you think this transition officially happens, making sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Was it fair for Billy Buck to continue to encourage Jody about his pony's health, even as the pony continued to get sicker and sicker? Present three reasons why this was or was not appropriate for Billy Buck to do, making sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
This section contains 1,399 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)