|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy often perform at local rodeos?
2. What season is it when Chapter 2 opens?
3. Who is Jess Taylor?
4. What has Gitano actually stolen from Carl?
5. How does the pony respond to Jody when he reaches for it for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Jody's mother often finds his hands to be dirty, why doesn't she make him wash them?
2. Why is Carl so mad when he first learns of Grandfather's plans to visit the Tiflins?
3. What kind of interaction do Nellie and the stallion have when they first meet?
4. According to Jody, how does Gabilan express himself?
5. Why does everyone on the ranch eat such a hearty breakfast?
6. What features of Gabilan is Jody most proud of?
7. How does Mrs. Tiflin request Carl treat her father once he arrives?
8. What has Billy Buck told Jody about the mountains?
9. What has Carl told Jody about the mountains?
10. What lie does Jody tell when Carl asks him where he's been, when he's really been talking with Gitano late at night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in _The Red Pony_ is very limited and traditional in the text. Write an argument paper that discusses whether or not this is representative of women's roles at the time or if the author has simply treated the one female character of the text (Mrs. Tiflin) in a misogynistic and patronizing manner.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is very much a part of _The Red Pony_. Choose three instances of foreshadowing from anywhere in the text and discuss what each instance will come to mean.
Essay Topic 3
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)