|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the pony's coat and mane look when Jody first sees them?
2. What does Jess Taylor report the horse rider was carrying?
3. Where does The Red Pony take place?
4. How is Jody's character first described?
5. Who is Easter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jody go to visit Nellie every day after he brings her back from Jess's ranch?
2. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
3. How will Jody pay back his father for the $5 it will take to breed Nellie with a stallion?
4. Why does Carl ask Gitano if he has relatives anywhere nearby?
5. How does Grandfather respond to seeing Jody for the first time?
6. What problem does Billy warn Jody about when it comes to Nellie giving birth?
7. Why does Billy Buck not enter the kitchen before anyone else?
8. What responsibility did Grandfather have as a leader during the crossing of the plains?
9. How does Mrs. Tiflin request Carl treat her father once he arrives?
10. While Jody's mother often finds his hands to be dirty, why doesn't she make him wash them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel, making sure to discuss how Steinbeck concludes (or doesn't conclude) at least two themes of the novel and what he implies will happen to at least 2 characters in the future.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in _The Red Pony_ is very limited and traditional in the text. Write an argument paper that discusses whether or not this is representative of women's roles at the time or if the author has simply treated the one female character of the text (Mrs. Tiflin) in a misogynistic and patronizing manner.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)