|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
2. Where does Jess report Gitano was heading?
3. What is Billy Buck best known for?
4. Who is Smasher?
5. How can Jody tell the man approaching his house in Chapter 2 is older?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
2. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
3. How has Billy been able to gauge Jody's skill with horses?
4. What has Jody's mom told him about the mountains?
5. What does Gitano tell Jody and his mother the first time he meets them?
6. Why does Carl ask Gitano if he has relatives anywhere nearby?
7. How does Jody get Gabilan used to wearing a saddle?
8. Why is Jody pleased to smell brandy on his father's breath when he and Billy Buck return from purchasing the pony?
9. Why is Carl so mad when he first learns of Grandfather's plans to visit the Tiflins?
10. After Jody initially peppers him with questions, what does Gitano finally say about the mountains?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Gitano, making sure to address the following key points: 1) Why does Steinbeck include him in the story? 2) What function does he serve in the text? and 3) What do we learn about at least 2 other characters from their interaction(s) with Gitano?
Essay Topic 2
Animals play a key role in many aspects of _The Red Pony_. Choose one animal, discuss its function in the novel as well as what this animal traditionally symbolizes or represents in the literary canon.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Jody kills one of the buzzards when he sees it eating his dead pony. Why does he respond in this particular way? What does it symbolize? What does it show the reader about Jody?
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)