|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carl tell Jody not to blame on Billy?
(a) The horse sickness that is going through the town.
(b) The death of his red pony.
(c) Their financial troubles.
(d) His bad grades at school.
2. What reason does Mrs. Tiflin give about why it takes Grandfather so long to rise in the morning?
(a) Because he dresses with care.
(b) Because he feels unwelcome in their house.
(c) Because he moves slower as a result of his old age.
(d) Because he is lazy.
3. How do the other horses react when Nellie is supposedly giving birth?
(a) They all break free and start running around the ranch.
(b) They are very aware of what is going on and are agitated.
(c) They are clueless.
(d) They become very quiet.
4. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
(a) She wants Jody to stay a little boy forever.
(b) She isn't.
(c) She is sad about her father's death.
(d) She is tired of her life.
5. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
(a) Because Grandfather is filling Jody's head with stories.
(b) He doesn't.
(c) Because Grandfather is drunk all of the time.
(d) Because he has had it with Grandfather's crazy stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
2. What does Jody do with his surprise-filled lunchbox when he returns home from school?
3. How much advanced notice do the Tiflins have of Grandfather's visit?
4. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
5. How does Billy free the colt once it is born?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)