|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
(a) Looking too much into the future without understanding how you got into the present.
(b) Holding on to your past when you should really let it go.
(c) Getting a huge group of people across the country/out West.
(d) Learning to read the wind when it blows west.
2. Why does Billy Buck respect Grandfather so much?
(a) Because he feels they are kindred spirits.
(b) Because Grandfather saved his life once.
(c) Because he is the owner of the property.
(d) Because he is an elder.
3. What does Jody do with his surprise-filled lunchbox when he returns home from school?
(a) He hides it in his room.
(b) He buries it under the porch.
(c) He leaves it in the mailbox.
(d) He leaves it with his mother.
4. When does Nellie finally begin to show signs of pregnancy?
(a) In September.
(b) Unfortunately, she never does.
(c) In April.
(d) On Christmas day.
5. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
(a) He was a horseman.
(b) He was a leader of sorts.
(c) He was a hunter.
(d) He was responsible for rationing water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
2. What is the colt born in?
3. When Jody is worried about Nellie, what does Carl tell Jody about Billy?
4. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
5. What does Grandfather overhear in the Tiflin kitchen the morning after he arrives?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)