|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Billy's horse often described?
(a) As nothing special to look at.
(b) As looking almost exactly like Billy.
(c) As an average horse but with crazy eyes.
(d) As the most beautiful horse in the county.
2. What would Carl like to do with Easter?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Sell him.
(c) Just let him relax and be.
(d) Work him until he dies.
3. Why does Jody feel the way he does after Gitano leaves?
(a) He wanted to go with him.
(b) He feels badly for how he treated Gitano.
(c) He feels silly for letting his father get robbed.
(d) He's not sure.
4. What kind of contests does Billy Buck win on Easter?
5. Where does Jody get drinks of water from while walking around the ranch?
(a) A pipe outlet from a cold spring.
(b) He has to go back to the kitchen.
(c) A river on their property.
(d) A Thermos he always carries with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jody feel after Gitano leaves?
2. What ominous sign does Jody see that lets him know his pony has died?
3. Why is Jody so concerned about the rain and his pony?
4. What does Jess Taylor report the horse rider was carrying?
5. How do the cow-pumpkins look when the novel first opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
2. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
3. Why does everyone on the ranch eat such a hearty breakfast?
4. What features of Gabilan is Jody most proud of?
5. What does Carl say to Gitano about what should happen to old things?
6. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
7. What has Billy Buck told Jody about the mountains?
8. Why does Billy Buck not enter the kitchen before anyone else?
9. What kind of interaction do Nellie and the stallion have when they first meet?
10. What does Jody mean when he says his mouth "works"?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)