|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does The Red Pony take place?
(a) Salinas, California.
(b) San Francisco, California.
(c) A small town in New Mexico.
(d) We never learn.
2. What does Carl think Gitano has saved him from?
(a) Dealing with Easter when he dies.
(b) Bad luck.
(c) The plague.
(d) A week's worth of unwanted houseguests.
3. When the novel opens, what are Carl and Billy going to do?
(a) Go to New York City to see about another loan.
(b) Delivery the Christmas sermon.
(c) Drive six old cows to the butcher.
(d) Harvest the crops for the first time.
4. When does Billy Buck first go into the ranch house every day?
(a) When Mrs. Tiflin rings the iron triangle.
(b) When it is time for daily prayer.
(c) Whenever he wants to; he has a key.
(d) When he discusses finances with the Tiflins.
5. When does Billy Buck get up?
(a) Before sunrise.
(b) Very late.
(c) At sunrise.
(d) It depends on the day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shoes does Jody Tiflin wear in late summer?
2. What is Billy Buck best known for?
3. What color hair does Gitano have?
4. Where does Jody sleep while his pony is sick?
5. As Jody's pony gets sicker, what life-saving procedure must Billy do to keep it alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of catalog gets Jody so excited when he finds it in his mailbox?
2. How has Billy been able to gauge Jody's skill with horses?
3. When Jody first spots Gitano coming down the road, where does he appear to be coming from?
4. What has Billy told Carl about Jody's skill with horses?
5. What must Jody do to keep his pony?
6. Why does Jody go to visit Nellie every day after he brings her back from Jess's ranch?
7. When Chapter 3 opens, what does Jody imagine he is leading on his way home from school?
8. Why does everyone on the ranch eat such a hearty breakfast?
9. What features of Gabilan is Jody most proud of?
10. What has Jody's mom told him about the mountains?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)