|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gitano leave his first dinner with the Tiflins?
(b) He falls asleep at the dinner table.
(c) Without a word.
(d) Grateful and thankful.
2. Who cooks dinner the day Gitano arrives on the Tiflin ranch?
(a) Mrs. Tiflin.
(b) Gitano's wife.
3. How does Jody prepare for riding his pony once it is ready?
(a) He rides a horse with his dad.
(b) He practices with pillows when no one is looking.
(c) He rides a sawhorse.
(d) He rides the other horses.
4. Who is Smasher?
(a) The name of the bull on the ranch.
(b) Jody's pet cat.
(c) One of Jody's dogs.
(d) Jody -- it's his nickname.
5. How do the cow-pumpkins look when the novel first opens?
(a) They are large and ready for harvesting.
(b) They are green and small.
(c) They are enormous and expected to win a prize at the state fair.
(d) They are still too small to see.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
2. When Carl and Billy first return from being gone when the novel opens, what does Jody smell on their breath?
3. Where are pigs prepared for slaughter and slaughtered on the ranch?
4. How can Jody tell the man approaching his house in Chapter 2 is older?
5. How does Jody get to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jody get Gabilan used to wearing a saddle?
2. What has Carl told Jody about the mountains?
3. What kind of catalog gets Jody so excited when he finds it in his mailbox?
4. What familiar story does Grandfather start to tell around the fire on his first night with the Tiflins?
5. What does Carl say to Gitano about what should happen to old things?
6. What is Grandfather's opinion of Billy?
7. What must Jody do to keep his pony?
8. What responsibility did Grandfather have as a leader during the crossing of the plains?
9. What does Nellie let Jody do that is unusual, when Jody is taking her back from Jess's ranch?
10. According to Jody, how does Gabilan express himself?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)