|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cooks dinner the day Gitano arrives on the Tiflin ranch?
(c) Gitano's wife.
(d) Mrs. Tiflin.
2. When Carl and Billy first return from being gone when the novel opens, what does Jody smell on their breath?
(b) Nothing -- they are very, very thirsty for water.
3. How many healthy horses do Gitano and Jody watch at the watering trough?
4. How long does Carl say Gitano can initially stay for?
(a) Three days.
(b) One night and breakfast.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One week.
5. What would Carl like to do with Easter?
(a) Just let him relax and be.
(b) Work him until he dies.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Sell him.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Billy Buck work?
2. Who is Smasher?
3. What color eyes does Jody Tiflin have?
4. What makes Carl think that Easter is dead the morning Gitano leaves?
5. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jody realize that Carl is trying to do to Gitano through the way he is speaking with him?
2. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
3. What has Carl told Jody about the mountains?
4. How does Grandfather respond to seeing Jody for the first time?
5. What kind of catalog gets Jody so excited when he finds it in his mailbox?
6. Why doesn't Jody let his friends ride his new pony when he shows it to them for the first time?
7. Why does Jody stop running right before he meets Grandfather along the road?
8. How will Jody pay back his father for the $5 it will take to breed Nellie with a stallion?
9. Why does Nellie break her rope when Jody is leading her to the neighbor's house?
10. What must Jody do to keep his pony?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)