|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "carrion" that Jody mentions the buzzards are helpful with?
(a) Seeds that need to be spread.
(b) Leftover crops.
(c) Dead flesh.
(d) Poisonous buzzards.
2. Where does Gitano stay while at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) In Jody's room.
(b) The barn.
(d) The old bunkhouse.
3. When does Billy Buck get up?
(a) It depends on the day.
(b) Before sunrise.
(c) At sunrise.
(d) Very late.
4. How does Jody kill the animal that he kills for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
(a) He makes his dog go attack it.
(b) With his hands.
(c) With a slingshot.
(d) With his gun.
5. Why is Jody so concerned about the rain and his pony?
(a) He hates the way wet horses smell.
(b) He doesn't want his pony to get spooked.
(c) He knows his horse hates rain.
(d) He thinks it is bad for horses to get wet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a common breakfast in the Tiflin household?
2. Where are pigs prepared for slaughter and slaughtered on the ranch?
3. Who does Jess Taylor say he saw riding Easter?
4. How does Gitano leave his first dinner with the Tiflins?
5. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nellie let Jody do that is unusual, when Jody is taking her back from Jess's ranch?
2. What problem does Billy warn Jody about when it comes to Nellie giving birth?
3. Why does Carl ask Gitano if he has relatives anywhere nearby?
4. What features of Gabilan is Jody most proud of?
5. How does Mrs. Tiflin request Carl treat her father once he arrives?
6. What makes the mountains seem less threatening to Jody?
7. According to Jody, how does Gabilan express himself?
8. What does Carl joke would be needed for Gitano to be put out to pasture?
9. What does Grandfather wisely say about reacting to unkind words?
10. How has Billy been able to gauge Jody's skill with horses?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)