|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gitano claim to be born?
(a) In the mountains.
(b) In New Mexico.
(c) On the Tiflin ranch.
(d) On another planet.
2. What does Billy suggest Jody name the pony?
(a) Uni, since he looks like a unicorn.
3. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
(a) It hasn't sprouted yet.
(b) Exactly even with Jody.
(c) Over Jody's head.
(d) Knee high.
4. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
(a) After sunset, to be safe.
(b) Six o'clock.
(c) Noon (for lunch) and three o'clock.
(d) Four o'clock.
5. What does the pony's name mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jody initially think Gitano comes from?
2. Where does Jody sleep while his pony is sick?
3. How do the cow-pumpkins look when the novel first opens?
4. What does Jody initially want to name the pony?
5. What season is it when Chapter 2 opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
2. What does Gitano tell Jody and his mother the first time he meets them?
3. What does Carl mean when he calls Jody "Big-Britches"?
4. Why does Jody stop running right before he meets Grandfather along the road?
5. What familiar story does Grandfather start to tell around the fire on his first night with the Tiflins?
6. After he is given the pony, when does Jody begin waking up in the morning?
7. Why is Carl so mad when he first learns of Grandfather's plans to visit the Tiflins?
8. What features of Gabilan is Jody most proud of?
9. What country owned the Tiflin ranch when Gitano was born there?
10. After Jody initially peppers him with questions, what does Gitano finally say about the mountains?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)