|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gitano eat for breakfast the day after he arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(c) Nothing; he doesn't appear for breakfast.
(d) Biscuits only.
2. How does Jody feel about the Gabilan mountains when Chapter 2 opens?
(a) He doesn't think about them one way or the other.
(b) He finds them mysterious.
(c) He is frightened of them.
(d) He is amazed at their beauty.
3. For whom does Billy Buck work?
(b) No one -- he is a wandering worker.
(c) The Tiflin family.
(d) The city.
4. Where does Jody get drinks of water from while walking around the ranch?
(a) A pipe outlet from a cold spring.
(b) A Thermos he always carries with him.
(c) He has to go back to the kitchen.
(d) A river on their property.
5. After Gitano leaves the Tiflin ranch, what does Jody picture him doing?
(a) Heading off for many years of new adventures.
(b) Coming back to get Jody.
(c) Robbing another family of their valuables.
(d) Riding into the mountains with his rapier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color skin does Gitano have?
2. When Mrs. Tiflin talks about Gitano staying, what does Carl do?
3. How does Jody get to school?
4. Who does Jess Taylor say he saw riding Easter?
5. Who is Smasher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Tiflin feel about Gitano staying at the ranch?
2. What does Grandfather wisely say about reacting to unkind words?
3. Who really teaches Jody how to get ready to ride his pony?
4. What does Gitano tell Jody and his mother the first time he meets them?
5. When Jody first spots Gitano coming down the road, where does he appear to be coming from?
6. How long does Jody have to go to get to school?
7. What does Jody mean when he says his mouth "works"?
8. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
9. How has Billy been able to gauge Jody's skill with horses?
10. While Jody's mother often finds his hands to be dirty, why doesn't she make him wash them?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)