|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Gitano actually stolen from Carl?
(b) A necklace.
(d) Nothing other than his horse.
2. When Carl and Billy first return from being gone when the novel opens, what does Jody smell on their breath?
(d) Nothing -- they are very, very thirsty for water.
3. How does Jody kill the animal that he kills for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
(a) With a slingshot.
(b) With his hands.
(c) With his gun.
(d) He makes his dog go attack it.
4. Where does Jody get drinks of water from while walking around the ranch?
(a) A pipe outlet from a cold spring.
(b) A Thermos he always carries with him.
(c) He has to go back to the kitchen.
(d) A river on their property.
5. When the novel opens, what are Carl and Billy going to do?
(a) Delivery the Christmas sermon.
(b) Drive six old cows to the butcher.
(c) Go to New York City to see about another loan.
(d) Harvest the crops for the first time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Billy Buck like to do with Easter?
2. What does the pony's name mean?
3. What does Jody do after he learns Gitano has died?
4. What makes Carl think that Easter is dead the morning Gitano leaves?
5. What is a common breakfast in the Tiflin household?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of catalog gets Jody so excited when he finds it in his mailbox?
2. What kind of interaction do Nellie and the stallion have when they first meet?
3. When Jody first spots Gitano coming down the road, where does he appear to be coming from?
4. What has Jody's mom told him about the mountains?
5. What country owned the Tiflin ranch when Gitano was born there?
6. Why does Carl ask Gitano if he has relatives anywhere nearby?
7. According to Jody, how does Gabilan express himself?
8. How long have the mice been living under the haystack (at the beginning of Chapter 4)?
9. What does Jody mean when he says his mouth "works"?
10. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)