|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jess report Gitano was heading?
(a) Toward the Mexico border.
(b) Into the mountains.
(c) Nowhere in particular.
(d) Into the next town over.
2. What color skin does Gitano have?
(b) Very freckly.
(c) It's hard to tell because he's been burned.
3. Who does Jess Taylor say he saw riding Easter?
(b) Billy Buck.
(d) A beautiful woman.
4. What kind of shoes does Jody Tiflin wear in late summer?
(c) Big boots because of all the rain.
5. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
(a) Knee high.
(b) It hasn't sprouted yet.
(c) Over Jody's head.
(d) Exactly even with Jody.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jess Taylor?
2. How does Jody dispose of the body of the animal he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
3. How does Jody feel after Gitano leaves?
4. How does the pony's coat and mane look when Jody first sees them?
5. What color eyes does Jody Tiflin have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Billy Buck told Jody about the mountains?
2. What are the first signs Jody sees in his pony that makes him think he is sick?
3. What does Carl joke would be needed for Gitano to be put out to pasture?
4. What makes the mountains seem less threatening to Jody?
5. What does Jody mean when he says his mouth "works"?
6. What does Carl mean when he calls Jody "Big-Britches"?
7. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
8. Why does Jody stop running right before he meets Grandfather along the road?
9. What kind of catalog gets Jody so excited when he finds it in his mailbox?
10. What does Jody put into the past once he starts preparing to take care of Nellie and, once it comes, the new horse?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)