|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jody sleep while his pony is sick?
(a) With his mom and dad.
(b) With the pony.
(c) In his own bed.
(d) In Billy's quarters.
2. What does Jody have to do when he comes home from school every day?
(a) Milk the cows.
(b) His homework.
(c) He just gets to play like a normal kid.
(d) His afternoon chores.
3. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
(a) Exactly even with Jody.
(b) Knee high.
(c) It hasn't sprouted yet.
(d) Over Jody's head.
4. What does Jody's mother do when she meets Gitano for the first time?
(a) Gets very scared and starts to cry.
(b) Takes his packages and suitcases.
(c) Cooks him dinner right away.
(d) Sends for Jody's father.
5. When Carl and Billy first return from being gone when the novel opens, what does Jody smell on their breath?
(b) Nothing -- they are very, very thirsty for water.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gitano leave his first dinner with the Tiflins?
2. As Jody's pony gets sicker, what life-saving procedure must Billy do to keep it alive?
3. How is Jody's character first described?
4. Where are pigs prepared for slaughter and slaughtered on the ranch?
5. What makes Carl think that Easter is dead the morning Gitano leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
2. What does Grandfather wisely say about reacting to unkind words?
3. Why does Carl ask Gitano if he has relatives anywhere nearby?
4. What is Grandfather's opinion of Billy?
5. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
6. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
7. What does Carl mean when he calls Jody "Big-Britches"?
8. How will Jody pay back his father for the $5 it will take to breed Nellie with a stallion?
9. What makes the mountains seem less threatening to Jody?
10. What problem does Billy warn Jody about when it comes to Nellie giving birth?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)