|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of contests does Billy Buck win on Easter?
2. As Jody's pony gets sicker, what life-saving procedure must Billy do to keep it alive?
(a) Keep it drugged.
(b) Amputate its leg.
(c) Cut a hole in its windpipe.
(d) Give it alcohol to keep it calm.
3. Where does Gitano claim to be born?
(a) On the Tiflin ranch.
(b) In New Mexico.
(c) On another planet.
(d) In the mountains.
4. What does Jody have to do when he comes home from school every day?
(a) He just gets to play like a normal kid.
(b) Milk the cows.
(c) His afternoon chores.
(d) His homework.
5. What color hair does Gitano have?
(b) None -- he is bald.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
2. Where does Carl suggest Gitano go after he leaves the Tiflin ranch?
3. Where are pigs prepared for slaughter and slaughtered on the ranch?
4. How many healthy horses do Gitano and Jody watch at the watering trough?
5. What does Gitano eat for breakfast the day after he arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does everyone on the ranch eat such a hearty breakfast?
2. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
3. Why does Billy Buck not enter the kitchen before anyone else?
4. What does Carl mean when he calls Jody "Big-Britches"?
5. When Jody first spots Gitano coming down the road, where does he appear to be coming from?
6. What does Grandfather say about how dry it was in '87 and '61?
7. What responsibility did Grandfather have as a leader during the crossing of the plains?
8. How long have the mice been living under the haystack (at the beginning of Chapter 4)?
9. What makes the mountains seem less threatening to Jody?
10. How has Billy been able to gauge Jody's skill with horses?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)