|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
(a) Four o'clock.
(b) Noon (for lunch) and three o'clock.
(c) Six o'clock.
(d) After sunset, to be safe.
2. Where does Gitano claim to be born?
(a) In New Mexico.
(b) On the Tiflin ranch.
(c) On another planet.
(d) In the mountains.
3. How does Jody's mom feel about his dedication to the red pony?
(a) She is angry that it keeps him from his chores.
(b) She is angry that it keeps him from school.
(c) She is proud.
(d) She doesn't really care one way or the other.
4. What kind of information is Jody eager to get out of Gitano?
(a) How much money he is carrying with him.
(b) Where he came from.
(c) What the mountains are like.
(d) What his family was like long ago.
5. How does Jody prepare for riding his pony once it is ready?
(a) He rides a horse with his dad.
(b) He rides the other horses.
(c) He rides a sawhorse.
(d) He practices with pillows when no one is looking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carl suggest Gitano go after he leaves the Tiflin ranch?
2. Who does Jody first show his new pony to?
3. How long does Carl say Gitano can initially stay for?
4. Why is Jody so concerned about the rain and his pony?
5. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Billy, makes him "half horse"?
2. What makes the mountains seem less threatening to Jody?
3. What signals to Jody that Billy Buck and Carl have something unusual planned on the day he is given his pony?
4. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
5. What features of Gabilan is Jody most proud of?
6. What kind of catalog gets Jody so excited when he finds it in his mailbox?
7. What does Jody put into the past once he starts preparing to take care of Nellie and, once it comes, the new horse?
8. What lie does Jody tell when Carl asks him where he's been, when he's really been talking with Gitano late at night?
9. What kind of weather are Jody and Billy discussing at the opening of Chapter 4?
10. Why does Jody go to visit Nellie every day after he brings her back from Jess's ranch?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)