|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jody feel the way he does after Gitano leaves?
(a) He feels badly for how he treated Gitano.
(b) He feels silly for letting his father get robbed.
(c) He's not sure.
(d) He wanted to go with him.
2. What item did Carl and Billy get to go with the pony?
(b) A special rope.
(c) A saddle.
(d) A new, small barn.
3. How does Carl react to the confirmation that Gitano is with Easter?
(a) He gets furiously angry.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He doesn't care one way or the other.
(d) He sets up a search party.
4. What does the pony's name mean?
5. When does Billy Buck first go into the ranch house every day?
(a) When it is time for daily prayer.
(b) When he discusses finances with the Tiflins.
(c) Whenever he wants to; he has a key.
(d) When Mrs. Tiflin rings the iron triangle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jess Taylor?
2. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
3. What is the "carrion" that Jody mentions the buzzards are helpful with?
4. What does Jody do after he learns Gitano has died?
5. How does Jody kill the animal that he kills for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grandfather say about how dry it was in '87 and '61?
2. Why doesn't Jody let his friends ride his new pony when he shows it to them for the first time?
3. Why is Jody pleased to smell brandy on his father's breath when he and Billy Buck return from purchasing the pony?
4. Who really teaches Jody how to get ready to ride his pony?
5. What does Carl mean when he calls Jody "Big-Britches"?
6. What does Carl joke would be needed for Gitano to be put out to pasture?
7. What familiar story does Grandfather start to tell around the fire on his first night with the Tiflins?
8. What, according to Billy, makes him "half horse"?
9. What does Jody mean when he says his mouth "works"?
10. How does Mrs. Tiflin feel about Gitano staying at the ranch?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)