|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item did Carl and Billy get to go with the pony?
(a) A saddle.
(b) A new, small barn.
(d) A special rope.
2. What has Gitano actually stolen from Carl?
(a) A necklace.
(d) Nothing other than his horse.
3. What kind of shoes does Jody Tiflin wear in late summer?
(d) Big boots because of all the rain.
4. Where does Carl suggest Gitano go after he leaves the Tiflin ranch?
(b) To a neighbor's ranch.
(c) Back to wherever he came from.
(d) To the town square so he can get a job.
5. Who is Jess Taylor?
(a) A neighbor of the Tiflins.
(b) Another stranger who appears at the house.
(c) Gitano's son.
(d) Jody's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jody feel after Gitano leaves?
2. What is Billy Buck best known for?
3. What does Carl think Gitano has stolen from him?
4. What kind of gun does Jody have?
5. How does Carl react to the confirmation that Gitano is with Easter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
2. What does Carl mean when he calls Jody "Big-Britches"?
3. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
4. What kind of interaction do Nellie and the stallion have when they first meet?
5. What responsibility did Grandfather have as a leader during the crossing of the plains?
6. How does Mrs. Tiflin request Carl treat her father once he arrives?
7. What does Jody mean when he says his mouth "works"?
8. What signals to Jody that Billy Buck and Carl have something unusual planned on the day he is given his pony?
9. When Jody first spots Gitano coming down the road, where does he appear to be coming from?
10. After he is given the pony, when does Jody begin waking up in the morning?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)