|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mrs. Tiflin talks about Gitano staying, what does Carl do?
(a) Ignore her.
(b) Change his mind.
(c) Cut her off.
(d) Slap her.
2. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
3. Where does Gitano stay while at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) The old bunkhouse.
(b) In Jody's room.
(d) The barn.
4. What does Jody have to do when he comes home from school every day?
(a) His homework.
(b) Milk the cows.
(c) He just gets to play like a normal kid.
(d) His afternoon chores.
5. How does Jody get to school?
(a) Billy Buck usually lets him ride a horse.
(b) He takes the school bus.
(c) He walks.
(d) Carl drives him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gitano eat for breakfast the day after he arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
2. How does Gabilan respond to being bridle trained?
3. What kind of contests does Billy Buck win on Easter?
4. What is a common breakfast in the Tiflin household?
5. What item did Carl and Billy get to go with the pony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nellie let Jody do that is unusual, when Jody is taking her back from Jess's ranch?
2. Why doesn't Jody let his friends ride his new pony when he shows it to them for the first time?
3. What kinds of animals does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
4. What makes the mountains seem less threatening to Jody?
5. What does Jody realize that Carl is trying to do to Gitano through the way he is speaking with him?
6. What signals to Jody that Billy Buck and Carl have something unusual planned on the day he is given his pony?
7. Why does Nellie break her rope when Jody is leading her to the neighbor's house?
8. When Jody first spots Gitano coming down the road, where does he appear to be coming from?
9. How does Grandfather respond to seeing Jody for the first time?
10. What responsibility did Grandfather have as a leader during the crossing of the plains?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)