|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Gitano actually stolen from Carl?
(a) Nothing other than his horse.
(b) A necklace.
2. How does Jody dispose of the body of the animal he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
(a) He buries it.
(b) He lets his dog take it away.
(c) He cuts it into pieces and throws them into the bushes.
(d) Hid hides it in the hay in the barn.
3. What item did Carl and Billy get to go with the pony?
(b) A saddle.
(c) A new, small barn.
(d) A special rope.
4. Why does Jody initially invite Gitano down to the barn?
(a) To see the stock.
(b) To get him away from his angry father.
(c) To meet his red pony.
(d) To find a more comfortable place to sleep.
5. What does Carl think Gitano has stolen from him?
(c) Old family heirlooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the pony's coat and mane look when Jody first sees them?
2. Who cooks dinner the day Gitano arrives on the Tiflin ranch?
3. Who is Smasher?
4. Where does Carl suggest Gitano go after he leaves the Tiflin ranch?
5. What unique item is Gitano wearing when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carl joke would be needed for Gitano to be put out to pasture?
2. How does Mrs. Tiflin feel about Gitano staying at the ranch?
3. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
4. What does Grandfather say about how dry it was in '87 and '61?
5. How does Grandfather respond to seeing Jody for the first time?
6. What kinds of animals does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
7. After he is given the pony, when does Jody begin waking up in the morning?
8. Why is Jody pleased to smell brandy on his father's breath when he and Billy Buck return from purchasing the pony?
9. What has Billy told Carl about Jody's skill with horses?
10. What, according to Billy, makes him "half horse"?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)