|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jody feel when Carl and Billy are taking him out to show him his pony for the first time?
(a) Angry at having to get up so early.
(b) Mad because he wanted a bike instead.
2. What kind of gun does Jody have?
(a) A .25.
(b) A .22.
(c) A .44.
(d) A cap gun.
3. As Jody's pony gets sicker, what life-saving procedure must Billy do to keep it alive?
(a) Give it alcohol to keep it calm.
(b) Cut a hole in its windpipe.
(c) Keep it drugged.
(d) Amputate its leg.
4. Who is Smasher?
(a) The name of the bull on the ranch.
(b) Jody -- it's his nickname.
(c) Jody's pet cat.
(d) One of Jody's dogs.
5. How is Billy's horse often described?
(a) As nothing special to look at.
(b) As an average horse but with crazy eyes.
(c) As looking almost exactly like Billy.
(d) As the most beautiful horse in the county.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jody have to do when he comes home from school every day?
2. Where does Jody sleep while his pony is sick?
3. When Carl and Billy first return from being gone when the novel opens, what does Jody smell on their breath?
4. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
5. What season is it when Chapter 2 opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the mountains seem less threatening to Jody?
2. What has Billy told Carl about Jody's skill with horses?
3. What does Grandfather wisely say about reacting to unkind words?
4. Why does Jody hide the bird he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
5. How long does Jody have to go to get to school?
6. What familiar story does Grandfather start to tell around the fire on his first night with the Tiflins?
7. How does Mrs. Tiflin request Carl treat her father once he arrives?
8. How does Grandfather respond to seeing Jody for the first time?
9. Why does Nellie break her rope when Jody is leading her to the neighbor's house?
10. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)