Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
2. Where does Jess report Gitano was heading?
(a) Nowhere in particular.
(b) Into the next town over.
(c) Into the mountains.
(d) Toward the Mexico border.
3. What is Billy Buck best known for?
(a) His fair banking practices.
(b) His ability to make crops grow.
(c) His fiery sermons.
(d) His skill with horses.
4. Who is Smasher?
(a) Jody -- it's his nickname.
(b) The name of the bull on the ranch.
(c) Jody's pet cat.
(d) One of Jody's dogs.
5. How can Jody tell the man approaching his house in Chapter 2 is older?
(a) He knows the man and knows that he is old.
(b) He can see his long beard right away.
(c) He smells him.
(d) By the way he walks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal does Jody kill for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
2. What item does Gitano leave behind when he leaves the Tiflins?
3. How is Jody's character first described?
4. What does Carl think Gitano has saved him from?
5. How does Jody's father react when he meets Gitano for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
2. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
3. How has Billy been able to gauge Jody's skill with horses?
4. What has Jody's mom told him about the mountains?
5. What does Gitano tell Jody and his mother the first time he meets them?
6. Why does Carl ask Gitano if he has relatives anywhere nearby?
7. How does Jody get Gabilan used to wearing a saddle?
8. Why is Jody pleased to smell brandy on his father's breath when he and Billy Buck return from purchasing the pony?
9. Why is Carl so mad when he first learns of Grandfather's plans to visit the Tiflins?
10. After Jody initially peppers him with questions, what does Gitano finally say about the mountains?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)