|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jess Taylor report the horse rider was carrying?
(a) A small child.
(b) Lots of empty sacks.
(c) Something made of wood.
(d) Something shiny.
2. Where does Carl suggest Gitano go after he leaves the Tiflin ranch?
(a) To the town square so he can get a job.
(c) Back to wherever he came from.
(d) To a neighbor's ranch.
3. How does Jody prepare for riding his pony once it is ready?
(a) He practices with pillows when no one is looking.
(b) He rides a sawhorse.
(c) He rides a horse with his dad.
(d) He rides the other horses.
4. What color skin does Gitano have?
(c) Very freckly.
(d) It's hard to tell because he's been burned.
5. Where is the infected lump located on the pony?
(a) Its ear.
(b) Its jaw.
(c) Its chest.
(d) Its leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the pony respond to Jody when he reaches for it for the first time?
2. What does Carl think Gitano has stolen from him?
3. How does Jody's father react when he meets Gitano for the first time?
4. Where does Jess report Gitano was heading?
5. How does Jody kill the animal that he kills for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carl ask Gitano if he has relatives anywhere nearby?
2. When Chapter 3 opens, what does Jody imagine he is leading on his way home from school?
3. What is Grandfather's opinion of Billy?
4. Who really teaches Jody how to get ready to ride his pony?
5. How has Billy been able to gauge Jody's skill with horses?
6. What does Nellie let Jody do that is unusual, when Jody is taking her back from Jess's ranch?
7. What does Carl mean when he calls Jody "Big-Britches"?
8. What makes the mountains seem less threatening to Jody?
9. What kind of weather are Jody and Billy discussing at the opening of Chapter 4?
10. Why does Nellie break her rope when Jody is leading her to the neighbor's house?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)