|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jody initially think Gitano comes from?
(a) The past.
(b) Out of the big mountains.
(c) A foreign country.
2. Who is Smasher?
(a) The name of the bull on the ranch.
(b) Jody -- it's his nickname.
(c) Jody's pet cat.
(d) One of Jody's dogs.
3. What does Jess Taylor report the horse rider was carrying?
(a) Lots of empty sacks.
(b) Something shiny.
(c) Something made of wood.
(d) A small child.
4. How is Jody's character first described?
(a) As spoiled and rich.
(b) As loud and obnoxious.
(c) As obedient and shy.
(d) As very naughty.
5. What is a common breakfast in the Tiflin household?
(a) Fresh turkey sandwiches.
(c) Eggs, bacon, and biscuits.
(d) None -- they are very poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jody initially invite Gitano down to the barn?
2. What does Carl think Gitano has saved him from?
3. How does Jody's mom feel about his dedication to the red pony?
4. When does Billy Buck first go into the ranch house every day?
5. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nellie let Jody do that is unusual, when Jody is taking her back from Jess's ranch?
2. What are the first signs Jody sees in his pony that makes him think he is sick?
3. Why does Jody stop running right before he meets Grandfather along the road?
4. How does Mrs. Tiflin feel about Gitano staying at the ranch?
5. Why does the stallion break his rope when he sees and smells Nellie for the first time?
6. What kinds of animals does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
7. How long does Jody have to go to get to school?
8. What has Billy Buck told Jody about the mountains?
9. Why can Jody relate to his Grandfather's hurt feelings when Carl cuts off his storytelling attempts?
10. What must Jody do to keep his pony?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)