|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Nellie while Jody is trying to take her somewhere?
(a) He never takes her anywhere, so nothing happens.
(b) She breaks free from Jody's rope.
(c) She spooks and runs off into the mountains.
(d) She falls and breaks her head.
2. What does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
(a) Strange pieces of metal he finds along the roadside.
(b) Beautiful rocks.
(c) Lots of small animals.
3. How do the other horses react when Nellie is supposedly giving birth?
(a) They are clueless.
(b) They become very quiet.
(c) They all break free and start running around the ranch.
(d) They are very aware of what is going on and are agitated.
4. What does Jody decide to name the new colt?
(a) Jody, Jr.
(b) We never find out.
(c) He doesn't want to name something that has died.
(d) There is no colt for him to name.
5. How much does Grandfather say Jody has grown when he first sees him?
(a) About one inch.
(b) Not very much at all.
(c) Nearly a foot!
(d) About six inches.
6. During the first dinner with Grandfather, what does Billy say makes people hungrier?
(a) Staying in the same location all the time.
(b) Being idle.
(c) Moving around.
(d) Being in bad weather.
7. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
(a) He was a hunter.
(b) He was responsible for rationing water.
(c) He was a leader of sorts.
(d) He was a horseman.
8. How is Jody picked up and put on a horse for safety?
(a) By his arm, which has been injured.
(b) By his overall straps.
(c) By his hair.
(d) By his shirt.
9. What does Billy end up doing to Nellie?
(a) Giving her a warm bath to calm her down.
(b) Selling her to a neighbor as she lay dying.
(c) Killing her with a hammer.
(d) Calming her with hot mash.
10. Where does everyone sit after dinner when Grandfather is first visiting?
(a) In a very old tree on the property.
(b) In Jody's room to help him fall asleep.
(c) Outside on the porch.
(d) In front of the fireplace.
11. What does Billy Buck say about how Nellie is handling her pregnancy?
(a) That she is comforted by Jody only.
(b) That she has gone crazy.
(c) That she has "turned nice."
(d) The she only thinks she is pregnant but really isn't.
12. When Jody finally brings Grandfather his drink, where does he sit?
(a) On his lap.
(b) On the porch swing.
(c) He decides to stand as a sign of respect.
(d) At his feet.
13. How does Grandfather react to what he overhears in the kitchen the morning after he arrives?
(a) He laughs it off.
(b) He becomes furiously angry.
(c) He pretends he didn't hear anything.
(d) He is hurt a little by it.
14. What animals are living under the haystack on the Tiflin ranch?
15. How much advanced notice do the Tiflins have of Grandfather's visit?
(a) None; they find out the day he is supposed to arrive.
(b) Three days.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandfather react to Jody's invitation to help in the mouse hunt?
2. Who picks up Jody and puts him on a horse for safety?
3. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
4. Why does Grandfather think Jody wants to listen to his stories so much?
5. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)