|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much advanced notice do the Tiflins have of Grandfather's visit?
(a) One week.
(b) One month.
(c) Three days.
(d) None; they find out the day he is supposed to arrive.
2. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
(a) Go get hot water and a sponge.
(b) Send all the neighbors home.
(c) Go get Carl right away.
(d) Go get Mrs. Tiflin.
3. What does Mule-tale Buck do for a living?
(a) He was a mule packer.
(b) He used to breed horses.
(c) He used to be a colonel in the army.
(d) He used to be an artist.
4. What does Jody plan to do in the early morning after his Grandfather has arrived?
(a) Wake up early and go through his grandfather's stuff.
(b) Wake up early to make sure he's around when his grandfather wakes up.
(c) Wake up early and bring his grandfather breakfast in bed.
(d) Kill the mice in the haystack.
5. Who is the only person to encourage Grandfather's storytelling during his first night at the Tiflins?
(a) Mrs. Tiflin.
(c) Billy Buck.
6. Why does Grandfather hate the ocean?
(a) He thinks there are evil spirits in it.
(b) His wife drowned in the ocean.
(c) He is ignorant and is afraid of so much water.
(d) It stopped him from going farther west.
7. Why does Billy Buck respect Grandfather so much?
(a) Because he is an elder.
(b) Because he feels they are kindred spirits.
(c) Because Grandfather saved his life once.
(d) Because he is the owner of the property.
8. When Jody is worried about Nellie, what does Carl tell Jody about Billy?
(a) That Billy will be fired if anything happens to the horse.
(b) That they can't afford anyone better than Billy so Jody better pray to help things out.
(c) That he's the best horseman around.
(d) That Billy is paid well and works hard for his money.
9. What does Carl tell Grandfather in front of everyone about what Grandfather has overheard?
(a) "Jody didn't mean it."
(b) "Ruth didn't mean it."
(c) "Billy didn't mean it."
(d) "I didn't mean it."
10. Why has Jody been told to take Nellie to someone else's ranch?
(a) To see how much she would get at auction.
(b) To breed her.
(c) To see if any of the neighbors would want to buy her.
(d) He hasn't been told to take her anywhere.
11. Where does everyone sit after dinner when Grandfather is first visiting?
(a) In a very old tree on the property.
(b) In front of the fireplace.
(c) In Jody's room to help him fall asleep.
(d) Outside on the porch.
12. How does the Tiflin family learn that Mrs. Tiflin's father will be coming to visit?
(a) Through word of mouth passed along by the neighbors.
(b) He just appears.
(c) By letter.
(d) By telegram.
13. What role does Carl play in the horse's birth?
(a) He is busy bossing everyone around.
(b) He comforts Jody.
(c) He is strangely quiet in the corner.
(d) None; he isn't there.
14. Who is Nellie?
(a) Jody's cousin.
(b) Jody's schoolteacher.
(c) A female horse on the Tiflin ranch.
(d) A neighbor's horse.
15. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
(a) She wants Jody to stay a little boy forever.
(b) She is sad about her father's death.
(c) She isn't.
(d) She is tired of her life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts Grandfather's storytelling the first night he is visiting the Tiflins?
2. What is the colt born in?
3. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
4. What does Jody do with his surprise-filled lunchbox when he returns home from school?
5. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)