|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
(a) Because Grandfather is filling Jody's head with stories.
(b) Because he has had it with Grandfather's crazy stories.
(c) Because Grandfather is drunk all of the time.
(d) He doesn't.
2. How long does Billy say it takes for a colt to be born?
(a) Nearly a year.
(b) Nine months.
(c) One week.
(d) Two months.
3. When Jody wakes up crying in Chapter 3, what does his mother say to calm him down?
(a) To be quiet so he doesn't anger Carl.
(b) To eat a cookie as a treat and then go back to bed.
(c) To remember that dreams aren't real.
(d) To try to wake up and start over again.
4. What does Jody imagine doing with his imaginary horse?
(a) Helping the sheriff.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Winning rodeo contests.
(d) Being asked by the president to catch a criminal.
5. What happens to Nellie while Jody is trying to take her somewhere?
(a) She breaks free from Jody's rope.
(b) She falls and breaks her head.
(c) He never takes her anywhere, so nothing happens.
(d) She spooks and runs off into the mountains.
6. How does Jody's grandfather arrive at the ranch?
(a) By bus.
(b) By cart and horse.
(c) By car.
(d) By foot.
7. How is Jody picked up and put on a horse for safety?
(a) By his hair.
(b) By his arm, which has been injured.
(c) By his shirt.
(d) By his overall straps.
8. Why does Grandfather think Jody wants to listen to his stories so much?
(a) Because he is just patronizing him.
(b) Because he is trying to get his dad mad again.
(c) Because he is still a boy.
(d) Because he is trying to be respectful.
9. Whose ranch has Jody been told to take Nellie to?
(a) No one's.
(b) A stranger's.
(c) Jess Taylor's.
(d) Billy Buck's.
10. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
(a) Send all the neighbors home.
(b) Go get hot water and a sponge.
(c) Go get Mrs. Tiflin.
(d) Go get Carl right away.
11. What topic does Grandfather bring up during his first dinner at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) His crossing the plains.
(b) His need for more food than most people.
(c) His time with the Spanish army.
(d) His love of brandy.
12. Where does Jody spend most of his time during January?
(a) With his mother, just like a small child.
(b) At school trying to distract himself.
(c) In the house, worrying.
(d) With Nellie in her stall.
13. When does Nellie finally begin to show signs of pregnancy?
(a) In September.
(b) In April.
(c) On Christmas day.
(d) Unfortunately, she never does.
14. What does Billy Buck do to show his respect for Grandfather?
(a) Gotten a haircut.
(b) Washed his clothes.
(c) Taken his hat off.
(d) Shaved mid-week.
15. How does Grandfather react to Jody's invitation to help in the mouse hunt?
(a) He says he'll help but doesn't really do anything.
(b) He lectures Jody about treating all creatures kindly.
(c) He declines.
(d) He gets very excited.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Carl play in the horse's birth?
2. What does Billy Buck say about how Nellie is handling her pregnancy?
3. Why does Billy tell Jody to go outside when Nellie is supposedly in labor?
4. Who is Nellie?
5. What is the one thing Jody remembers his grandfather talking about?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)