|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
(a) She is sad about her father's death.
(b) She isn't.
(c) She is tired of her life.
(d) She wants Jody to stay a little boy forever.
2. What time is it when Jody first leaves the barn after the horse's birth?
3. Where does Jody offer to meet his grandfather?
(a) At the front door with his sailor suit on.
(b) At the train station.
(c) Out on the road.
(d) At the bus station.
4. How does Jody know Nellie is going into labor?
(a) She is having spasms.
(b) She has run out of the barn.
(c) She won't let anyone near her.
(d) She is incredibly hungry.
5. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
(a) It has become stronger with time.
(b) It just gets worse and worse everyday.
(c) It has started to consume him.
(d) It has disappeared.
6. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
(a) She helps comfort Jody.
(b) None; she is sleeping.
(c) She helps comfort Nellie.
(d) She helps comfort the newborn calf.
7. What role does Carl play in the horse's birth?
(a) None; he isn't there.
(b) He comforts Jody.
(c) He is busy bossing everyone around.
(d) He is strangely quiet in the corner.
8. Who answers most of Jody's questions about the colt that is supposed to be coming?
(a) Jess Taylor.
(b) Mrs. Tiflin.
(c) Billy Buck.
9. When Jody is worried about Nellie, what does Carl tell Jody about Billy?
(a) That Billy will be fired if anything happens to the horse.
(b) That they can't afford anyone better than Billy so Jody better pray to help things out.
(c) That Billy is paid well and works hard for his money.
(d) That he's the best horseman around.
10. When Jody wakes up crying in Chapter 3, what does his mother say to calm him down?
(a) To remember that dreams aren't real.
(b) To be quiet so he doesn't anger Carl.
(c) To try to wake up and start over again.
(d) To eat a cookie as a treat and then go back to bed.
11. What animals are living under the haystack on the Tiflin ranch?
12. Whose ranch has Jody been told to take Nellie to?
(a) A stranger's.
(b) Billy Buck's.
(c) No one's.
(d) Jess Taylor's.
13. Who is Nellie?
(a) A neighbor's horse.
(b) A female horse on the Tiflin ranch.
(c) Jody's cousin.
(d) Jody's schoolteacher.
14. What does Billy end up doing to Nellie?
(a) Killing her with a hammer.
(b) Giving her a warm bath to calm her down.
(c) Calming her with hot mash.
(d) Selling her to a neighbor as she lay dying.
15. Why has Jody been told to take Nellie to someone else's ranch?
(a) He hasn't been told to take her anywhere.
(b) To see if any of the neighbors would want to buy her.
(c) To see how much she would get at auction.
(d) To breed her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does Jody offer to make for his Grandfather when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
2. How long does Grandfather say he is planning to stay with the Tiflins?
3. Why does Grandfather hate the ocean?
4. How does Billy know there is a problem with Nellie's pregnancy?
5. What is the one thing Jody remembers his grandfather talking about?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)