|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does everyone sit after dinner when Grandfather is first visiting?
(a) Outside on the porch.
(b) In Jody's room to help him fall asleep.
(c) In front of the fireplace.
(d) In a very old tree on the property.
2. Why does Grandfather hate the ocean?
(a) It stopped him from going farther west.
(b) His wife drowned in the ocean.
(c) He thinks there are evil spirits in it.
(d) He is ignorant and is afraid of so much water.
3. Why has Jody been told to take Nellie to someone else's ranch?
(a) To see if any of the neighbors would want to buy her.
(b) To see how much she would get at auction.
(c) To breed her.
(d) He hasn't been told to take her anywhere.
4. Who is Nellie?
(a) A female horse on the Tiflin ranch.
(b) A neighbor's horse.
(c) Jody's schoolteacher.
(d) Jody's cousin.
5. Why does Grandfather think Jody wants to listen to his stories so much?
(a) Because he is trying to be respectful.
(b) Because he is still a boy.
(c) Because he is trying to get his dad mad again.
(d) Because he is just patronizing him.
6. Why is Mrs. Tiflin suspicious of Jody's request to get his Grandfather a drink?
(a) She knows Jody likes to play jokes on her.
(b) She thinks Jody is going to put something in it before giving it to Grandfather.
(c) She knows her father never accepts drinks unless it's mealtime.
(d) She thinks he secretly wants one for himself.
7. What makes Jody excited about seeing the mailbox when Chapter 3 opens?
(a) It has been bashed in.
(b) The flag is open.
(c) He has been told he can paint it however he likes.
(d) It is new.
8. Who is Riley?
(a) Jody's pet snake.
(b) The Tiflin's big boar.
(c) Jody's friend at school.
(d) The Tiflin's pet cat.
9. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
(b) Mr. Jessup.
10. What interrupts Grandfather's storytelling the first night he is visiting the Tiflins?
(a) A very loud noise from outside.
(b) A neighbor's cry for help.
(c) A small fire in the kitchen.
(d) A moth in the room that Billy and Carl try to catch.
11. How does Jody know Nellie is going into labor?
(a) She has run out of the barn.
(b) She is having spasms.
(c) She won't let anyone near her.
(d) She is incredibly hungry.
12. What does Billy Buck say about how Nellie is handling her pregnancy?
(a) That she is comforted by Jody only.
(b) The she only thinks she is pregnant but really isn't.
(c) That she has "turned nice."
(d) That she has gone crazy.
13. What does Jody do with his surprise-filled lunchbox when he returns home from school?
(a) He leaves it in the mailbox.
(b) He leaves it with his mother.
(c) He buries it under the porch.
(d) He hides it in his room.
14. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
(a) Because he has had it with Grandfather's crazy stories.
(b) Because Grandfather is drunk all of the time.
(c) He doesn't.
(d) Because Grandfather is filling Jody's head with stories.
15. How long does Billy say it takes for a colt to be born?
(a) Nearly a year.
(b) Two months.
(c) One week.
(d) Nine months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is it when Jody first leaves the barn after the horse's birth?
2. What does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
3. Who is Mule-tail Buck?
4. How does Grandfather react to Jody's invitation to help in the mouse hunt?
5. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)