|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only person to encourage Grandfather's storytelling during his first night at the Tiflins?
(a) Mrs. Tiflin.
(b) Billy Buck.
2. What is the one thing Jody remembers his grandfather talking about?
(a) His time in Spain.
3. What does Billy do to try to fix Nellie's problem with the delivery?
(a) Turn the colt around inside.
(b) Get help from the neighbors.
(c) Drug Nellie.
4. What does Billy Buck do to show his respect for Grandfather?
(a) Shaved mid-week.
(b) Washed his clothes.
(c) Taken his hat off.
(d) Gotten a haircut.
5. Who picks up Jody and puts him on a horse for safety?
(b) Jess Taylor.
(c) Billy Buck.
(d) Mrs. Tiflin.
6. How does Carl react to finding Jody sneaking back into bed after checking on Nellie in the middle of the night?
(a) He is furious.
(b) He is torn between pride and anger.
(c) He beats Jody.
(d) He laughs and stays up to talk with Jody.
7. How does Jody feel about Grandfather's comment about how much he has grown?
8. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
(a) Go get hot water and a sponge.
(b) Go get Mrs. Tiflin.
(c) Send all the neighbors home.
(d) Go get Carl right away.
9. Why does Grandfather think Jody wants to listen to his stories so much?
(a) Because he is still a boy.
(b) Because he is just patronizing him.
(c) Because he is trying to get his dad mad again.
(d) Because he is trying to be respectful.
10. What does Mule-tale Buck do for a living?
(a) He used to breed horses.
(b) He used to be a colonel in the army.
(c) He used to be an artist.
(d) He was a mule packer.
11. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
(a) Learning to read the wind when it blows west.
(b) Getting a huge group of people across the country/out West.
(c) Holding on to your past when you should really let it go.
(d) Looking too much into the future without understanding how you got into the present.
12. What does Carl tell Grandfather in front of everyone about what Grandfather has overheard?
(a) "I didn't mean it."
(b) "Ruth didn't mean it."
(c) "Jody didn't mean it."
(d) "Billy didn't mean it."
13. How much does Grandfather say Jody has grown when he first sees him?
(a) Not very much at all.
(b) About six inches.
(c) Nearly a foot!
(d) About one inch.
14. When Jody finally brings Grandfather his drink, where does he sit?
(a) On his lap.
(b) He decides to stand as a sign of respect.
(c) At his feet.
(d) On the porch swing.
15. What does Jody plan to do in the early morning after his Grandfather has arrived?
(a) Kill the mice in the haystack.
(b) Wake up early and go through his grandfather's stuff.
(c) Wake up early to make sure he's around when his grandfather wakes up.
(d) Wake up early and bring his grandfather breakfast in bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
2. Where does Jody offer to meet his grandfather?
3. What season is it when Chapter 3 opens?
4. What does Grandfather overhear in the Tiflin kitchen the morning after he arrives?
5. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)