|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the first dinner with Grandfather, what does Billy say makes people hungrier?
(a) Being in bad weather.
(b) Moving around.
(c) Being idle.
(d) Staying in the same location all the time.
2. When Jody finally brings Grandfather his drink, where does he sit?
(a) He decides to stand as a sign of respect.
(b) On his lap.
(c) At his feet.
(d) On the porch swing.
3. What makes Jody excited about seeing the mailbox when Chapter 3 opens?
(a) It is new.
(b) He has been told he can paint it however he likes.
(c) The flag is open.
(d) It has been bashed in.
4. What happens to Nellie while Jody is trying to take her somewhere?
(a) She falls and breaks her head.
(b) He never takes her anywhere, so nothing happens.
(c) She spooks and runs off into the mountains.
(d) She breaks free from Jody's rope.
5. Why does Grandfather hate the ocean?
(a) It stopped him from going farther west.
(b) His wife drowned in the ocean.
(c) He is ignorant and is afraid of so much water.
(d) He thinks there are evil spirits in it.
6. What does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
(a) Strange pieces of metal he finds along the roadside.
(b) Lots of small animals.
(c) Beautiful rocks.
7. Where does Jody spend most of his time during January?
(a) In the house, worrying.
(b) At school trying to distract himself.
(c) With his mother, just like a small child.
(d) With Nellie in her stall.
8. Whose ranch has Jody been told to take Nellie to?
(a) A stranger's.
(b) Jess Taylor's.
(c) No one's.
(d) Billy Buck's.
9. How does Carl react to finding Jody sneaking back into bed after checking on Nellie in the middle of the night?
(a) He is torn between pride and anger.
(b) He laughs and stays up to talk with Jody.
(c) He beats Jody.
(d) He is furious.
10. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
(a) A new puppy.
(b) An injured animal.
(c) Something white.
(d) Flowers for Mrs. Tiflin.
11. How does the Tiflin family learn that Mrs. Tiflin's father will be coming to visit?
(a) By letter.
(b) He just appears.
(c) Through word of mouth passed along by the neighbors.
(d) By telegram.
12. When does Nellie finally begin to show signs of pregnancy?
(a) Unfortunately, she never does.
(b) In April.
(c) On Christmas day.
(d) In September.
13. What does Carl tell Grandfather in front of everyone about what Grandfather has overheard?
(a) "I didn't mean it."
(b) "Jody didn't mean it."
(c) "Ruth didn't mean it."
(d) "Billy didn't mean it."
14. What problem does Billy find with Nellie's pregnancy?
(a) That she is going to have twins.
(b) That the colt is turned the wrong way.
(c) That the colt is already dead before it is born.
(d) That Nellie has a tumor inside, not a baby.
15. How does Jody plan on getting rid of the animals that are living under the haystack on the Tiflin ranch?
(a) By setting skunk traps.
(b) By buying a cat for the ranch.
(c) By lighting the hay on fire and burning them out.
(d) By hunting them out with his dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy do to try to fix Nellie's problem with the delivery?
2. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
3. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
4. Where does everyone sit after dinner when Grandfather is first visiting?
5. How is Jody picked up and put on a horse for safety?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)