|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does everyone sit after dinner when Grandfather is first visiting?
(a) Outside on the porch.
(b) In Jody's room to help him fall asleep.
(c) In front of the fireplace.
(d) In a very old tree on the property.
2. Whose ranch has Jody been told to take Nellie to?
(a) Billy Buck's.
(b) No one's.
(c) Jess Taylor's.
(d) A stranger's.
3. What nickname does Jody give to his imaginary horse?
(a) "Black Demon."
(c) "Black Racer."
(d) "Black Beauty."
4. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
(a) Because he is thirsty.
(b) Because Jody offers him his favorite drink.
(c) Because he sees Jody's face and wants to be polite.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
5. What does Mule-tale Buck do for a living?
(a) He was a mule packer.
(b) He used to be an artist.
(c) He used to be a colonel in the army.
(d) He used to breed horses.
6. What does Jody imagine doing with his imaginary horse?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Being asked by the president to catch a criminal.
(c) Winning rodeo contests.
(d) Helping the sheriff.
7. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
(a) He was a horseman.
(b) He was responsible for rationing water.
(c) He was a hunter.
(d) He was a leader of sorts.
8. How long does Billy say it takes for a colt to be born?
(a) Nearly a year.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Two months.
(d) One week.
9. What does Billy end up doing to Nellie?
(a) Selling her to a neighbor as she lay dying.
(b) Calming her with hot mash.
(c) Giving her a warm bath to calm her down.
(d) Killing her with a hammer.
10. How much does Grandfather say Jody has grown when he first sees him?
(a) About one inch.
(b) About six inches.
(c) Not very much at all.
(d) Nearly a foot!
11. What does Mrs. Tiflin claim was the biggest thing in her father's life?
(a) Having her get married.
(b) Meeting his wife.
(c) Serving in the Spanish War.
(d) Crossing the plains.
12. What month is it when Chapter 4 opens?
13. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
(a) He doesn't.
(b) Because he has had it with Grandfather's crazy stories.
(c) Because Grandfather is filling Jody's head with stories.
(d) Because Grandfather is drunk all of the time.
14. What does Jody decide to name the new colt?
(a) He doesn't want to name something that has died.
(b) Jody, Jr.
(c) There is no colt for him to name.
(d) We never find out.
15. Why is Mrs. Tiflin suspicious of Jody's request to get his Grandfather a drink?
(a) She thinks Jody is going to put something in it before giving it to Grandfather.
(b) She knows her father never accepts drinks unless it's mealtime.
(c) She thinks he secretly wants one for himself.
(d) She knows Jody likes to play jokes on her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
2. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
3. When does Nellie finally begin to show signs of pregnancy?
4. How does the Tiflin family learn that Mrs. Tiflin's father will be coming to visit?
5. What does Carl tell Jody about his work with Nellie?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)