|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jody is worried about Nellie, what does Carl tell Jody about Billy?
(a) That Billy is paid well and works hard for his money.
(b) That Billy will be fired if anything happens to the horse.
(c) That they can't afford anyone better than Billy so Jody better pray to help things out.
(d) That he's the best horseman around.
2. What is the one thing Jody remembers his grandfather talking about?
(c) His time in Spain.
3. What does Jody tell Grandfather has happened to Riley?
(a) He was eaten by a coyote.
(b) He shed his skin for the first time.
(c) He was suspended from school for using bad words.
(d) He was smothered by a haystack.
4. Whose ranch has Jody been told to take Nellie to?
(a) A stranger's.
(b) Jess Taylor's.
(c) No one's.
(d) Billy Buck's.
5. What month is it when Chapter 4 opens?
6. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
(a) Getting a huge group of people across the country/out West.
(b) Holding on to your past when you should really let it go.
(c) Learning to read the wind when it blows west.
(d) Looking too much into the future without understanding how you got into the present.
7. Why does Billy tell Jody to go outside when Nellie is supposedly in labor?
(a) So he can charge people admission at the door.
(b) So he doesn't see Billy kill Nellie.
(c) So he can stand guard.
(d) So he can keep Carl away.
8. Who is Nellie?
(a) Jody's schoolteacher.
(b) Jody's cousin.
(c) A neighbor's horse.
(d) A female horse on the Tiflin ranch.
9. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
(a) It has become stronger with time.
(b) It has disappeared.
(c) It has started to consume him.
(d) It just gets worse and worse everyday.
10. When does Nellie finally begin to show signs of pregnancy?
(a) Unfortunately, she never does.
(b) In September.
(c) In April.
(d) On Christmas day.
11. What is the colt born in?
(a) The placenta.
(b) The colt is never born, actually.
(c) A strange tumor of some kind.
(d) A twisted mess of pus.
12. What does Carl tell Jody about his work with Nellie?
(a) That he needs to not be so attached to the horse.
(b) That he needs to focus on school more and horses less.
(c) That he needs to relax -- a lot.
(d) That he has done a good job.
13. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
(b) Mr. Jessup.
14. How does Carl react to finding Jody sneaking back into bed after checking on Nellie in the middle of the night?
(a) He is torn between pride and anger.
(b) He laughs and stays up to talk with Jody.
(c) He beats Jody.
(d) He is furious.
15. What time is it when Jody first leaves the barn after the horse's birth?
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
2. What does Billy Buck do to show his respect for Grandfather?
3. What does Jody imagine doing with his imaginary horse?
4. How do the other horses react when Nellie is supposedly giving birth?
5. What does Billy end up doing to Nellie?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)