|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the colt born in?
(a) The placenta.
(b) A strange tumor of some kind.
(c) A twisted mess of pus.
(d) The colt is never born, actually.
2. Who is Riley?
(a) Jody's friend at school.
(b) The Tiflin's pet cat.
(c) Jody's pet snake.
(d) The Tiflin's big boar.
3. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
(a) She is sad about her father's death.
(b) She isn't.
(c) She is tired of her life.
(d) She wants Jody to stay a little boy forever.
4. Why does Billy tell Jody to go outside when Nellie is supposedly in labor?
(a) So he can keep Carl away.
(b) So he can stand guard.
(c) So he doesn't see Billy kill Nellie.
(d) So he can charge people admission at the door.
5. How much advanced notice do the Tiflins have of Grandfather's visit?
(a) None; they find out the day he is supposed to arrive.
(b) Three days.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
6. How long does Billy say it takes for a colt to be born?
(a) Two months.
(b) One week.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Nearly a year.
7. What does Billy Buck do to show his respect for Grandfather?
(a) Gotten a haircut.
(b) Washed his clothes.
(c) Shaved mid-week.
(d) Taken his hat off.
8. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
(a) Getting a huge group of people across the country/out West.
(b) Looking too much into the future without understanding how you got into the present.
(c) Holding on to your past when you should really let it go.
(d) Learning to read the wind when it blows west.
9. How do the other horses react when Nellie is supposedly giving birth?
(a) They all break free and start running around the ranch.
(b) They become very quiet.
(c) They are very aware of what is going on and are agitated.
(d) They are clueless.
10. What topic does Grandfather bring up during his first dinner at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) His love of brandy.
(b) His time with the Spanish army.
(c) His need for more food than most people.
(d) His crossing the plains.
11. When Jody is worried about Nellie, what does Carl tell Jody about Billy?
(a) That Billy will be fired if anything happens to the horse.
(b) That Billy is paid well and works hard for his money.
(c) That they can't afford anyone better than Billy so Jody better pray to help things out.
(d) That he's the best horseman around.
12. Why does Grandfather hate the ocean?
(a) He is ignorant and is afraid of so much water.
(b) He thinks there are evil spirits in it.
(c) It stopped him from going farther west.
(d) His wife drowned in the ocean.
13. Why is Jody so worried about Nellie?
(a) Carl will beat him if anything happens to the horse.
(b) He doesn't want her to die like his pony did.
(c) She is acting very strangely.
(d) He just worries about everything anyway.
14. How does Billy eventually get the baby colt out?
(a) He reaches in and grabs it.
(b) He helps Nellie give birth.
(c) He cuts open Nellie.
(d) He doesn't; Nellie isn't really pregnant.
15. What does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
(a) Strange pieces of metal he finds along the roadside.
(c) Beautiful rocks.
(d) Lots of small animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy Buck say about how Nellie is handling her pregnancy?
2. What animals are living under the haystack on the Tiflin ranch?
3. During the first dinner with Grandfather, what does Billy say makes people hungrier?
4. What does Billy do to try to fix Nellie's problem with the delivery?
5. Who picks up Jody and puts him on a horse for safety?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)