|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jody spend most of his time during January?
(a) With Nellie in her stall.
(b) With his mother, just like a small child.
(c) At school trying to distract himself.
(d) In the house, worrying.
2. What happens to Nellie while Jody is trying to take her somewhere?
(a) She breaks free from Jody's rope.
(b) She falls and breaks her head.
(c) She spooks and runs off into the mountains.
(d) He never takes her anywhere, so nothing happens.
3. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
(a) He was a horseman.
(b) He was a hunter.
(c) He was responsible for rationing water.
(d) He was a leader of sorts.
4. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
(a) Go get hot water and a sponge.
(b) Send all the neighbors home.
(c) Go get Carl right away.
(d) Go get Mrs. Tiflin.
5. What animals are living under the haystack on the Tiflin ranch?
6. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
(a) Because Jody offers him his favorite drink.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Because he is thirsty.
(d) Because he sees Jody's face and wants to be polite.
7. How long does Grandfather say he is planning to stay with the Tiflins?
(a) Two months.
(b) One month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One week.
8. What article of clothing does Carl pin something on of Jody's when he sets off with Nellie?
(a) On his undershirt.
(b) On his shoe.
(c) Inside his sock.
(d) Inside his overalls.
9. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
(a) Because he has had it with Grandfather's crazy stories.
(b) Because Grandfather is drunk all of the time.
(c) Because Grandfather is filling Jody's head with stories.
(d) He doesn't.
10. How does Billy know there is a problem with Nellie's pregnancy?
(a) Nellie is acting funny.
(b) He can feel the colt inside.
(c) Nellie is too big for a regular pregnant horse.
(d) He had a dream about something being wrong.
11. How is Jody picked up and put on a horse for safety?
(a) By his hair.
(b) By his shirt.
(c) By his arm, which has been injured.
(d) By his overall straps.
12. What does Mrs. Tiflin claim was the biggest thing in her father's life?
(a) Meeting his wife.
(b) Having her get married.
(c) Serving in the Spanish War.
(d) Crossing the plains.
13. How does Billy free the colt once it is born?
(a) He uses a knife to cut it free.
(b) Nothing, because there is no real colt; the horse only thought it was pregnant.
(c) He tears the sac open with his teeth.
(d) He washes it off by himself.
14. What does Jody plan to do in the early morning after his Grandfather has arrived?
(a) Wake up early and go through his grandfather's stuff.
(b) Wake up early and bring his grandfather breakfast in bed.
(c) Kill the mice in the haystack.
(d) Wake up early to make sure he's around when his grandfather wakes up.
15. How much does Grandfather say Jody has grown when he first sees him?
(a) Nearly a foot!
(b) Not very much at all.
(c) About one inch.
(d) About six inches.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jody feel about Grandfather's comment about how much he has grown?
2. Who is Riley?
3. When Jody wakes up crying in Chapter 3, what does his mother say to calm him down?
4. Why is Jody so worried about Nellie?
5. Who is Nellie?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)