|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What month is it when Chapter 4 opens?
2. How does Billy eventually get the baby colt out?
(a) He cuts open Nellie.
(b) He reaches in and grabs it.
(c) He helps Nellie give birth.
(d) He doesn't; Nellie isn't really pregnant.
3. What does Carl tell Jody not to blame on Billy?
(a) The death of his red pony.
(b) Their financial troubles.
(c) The horse sickness that is going through the town.
(d) His bad grades at school.
4. When Jody finally brings Grandfather his drink, where does he sit?
(a) He decides to stand as a sign of respect.
(b) On the porch swing.
(c) On his lap.
(d) At his feet.
5. Who answers most of Jody's questions about the colt that is supposed to be coming?
(a) Mrs. Tiflin.
(b) Billy Buck.
(d) Jess Taylor.
6. Where does Jody spend most of his time during January?
(a) In the house, worrying.
(b) With Nellie in her stall.
(c) With his mother, just like a small child.
(d) At school trying to distract himself.
7. What does Billy do to try to fix Nellie's problem with the delivery?
(a) Drug Nellie.
(c) Get help from the neighbors.
(d) Turn the colt around inside.
8. Who is Nellie?
(a) A female horse on the Tiflin ranch.
(b) A neighbor's horse.
(c) Jody's cousin.
(d) Jody's schoolteacher.
9. What does Carl tell Grandfather in front of everyone about what Grandfather has overheard?
(a) "Jody didn't mean it."
(b) "Ruth didn't mean it."
(c) "Billy didn't mean it."
(d) "I didn't mean it."
10. When Jody wakes up crying in Chapter 3, what does his mother say to calm him down?
(a) To try to wake up and start over again.
(b) To be quiet so he doesn't anger Carl.
(c) To eat a cookie as a treat and then go back to bed.
(d) To remember that dreams aren't real.
11. How long does Billy say it takes for a colt to be born?
(a) One week.
(b) Two months.
(c) Nearly a year.
(d) Nine months.
12. What does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
(b) Lots of small animals.
(c) Beautiful rocks.
(d) Strange pieces of metal he finds along the roadside.
13. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
(a) He was a leader of sorts.
(b) He was a hunter.
(c) He was a horseman.
(d) He was responsible for rationing water.
14. Who is Mule-tail Buck?
(a) The Tiflin's neighbor.
(b) Billy Buck's father.
(c) Grandfather's traveling companion.
(d) Grandfather's best friend.
15. What reason does Mrs. Tiflin give about why it takes Grandfather so long to rise in the morning?
(a) Because he moves slower as a result of his old age.
(b) Because he feels unwelcome in their house.
(c) Because he is lazy.
(d) Because he dresses with care.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Tiflin suspicious of Jody's request to get his Grandfather a drink?
2. Where does everyone sit after dinner when Grandfather is first visiting?
3. What does Billy end up doing to Nellie?
4. What does Jody tell Grandfather has happened to Riley?
5. What nickname does Jody give to his imaginary horse?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)