|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
(b) Mr. Jessup.
2. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
(a) It has become stronger with time.
(b) It has started to consume him.
(c) It has disappeared.
(d) It just gets worse and worse everyday.
3. How does Jody plan on getting rid of the animals that are living under the haystack on the Tiflin ranch?
(a) By buying a cat for the ranch.
(b) By lighting the hay on fire and burning them out.
(c) By setting skunk traps.
(d) By hunting them out with his dogs.
4. What does Carl tell Jody not to blame on Billy?
(a) Their financial troubles.
(b) His bad grades at school.
(c) The horse sickness that is going through the town.
(d) The death of his red pony.
5. What items are in the mailbox when Jody returns home from school in Chapter 3?
(a) A birthday present from Jody's grandmother.
(b) A dead squirrel.
(c) A catalog and a newspaper.
(d) The flute Jody had ordered a few weeks earlier.
6. What article of clothing does Carl pin something on of Jody's when he sets off with Nellie?
(a) Inside his overalls.
(b) Inside his sock.
(c) On his shoe.
(d) On his undershirt.
7. How does the Tiflin family learn that Mrs. Tiflin's father will be coming to visit?
(a) By letter.
(b) By telegram.
(c) Through word of mouth passed along by the neighbors.
(d) He just appears.
8. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
(a) Because he sees Jody's face and wants to be polite.
(b) Because Jody offers him his favorite drink.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Because he is thirsty.
9. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
(a) Looking too much into the future without understanding how you got into the present.
(b) Learning to read the wind when it blows west.
(c) Holding on to your past when you should really let it go.
(d) Getting a huge group of people across the country/out West.
10. Why does Billy Buck respect Grandfather so much?
(a) Because he is an elder.
(b) Because Grandfather saved his life once.
(c) Because he is the owner of the property.
(d) Because he feels they are kindred spirits.
11. When Jody finally brings Grandfather his drink, where does he sit?
(a) At his feet.
(b) He decides to stand as a sign of respect.
(c) On his lap.
(d) On the porch swing.
12. Who is Riley?
(a) The Tiflin's big boar.
(b) Jody's pet snake.
(c) The Tiflin's pet cat.
(d) Jody's friend at school.
13. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
(a) Two pieces of pie.
(b) A slice of bread only, as the Taylors are very poor.
(c) A huge turkey dinner.
(d) Breakfast foods.
14. What topic does Grandfather bring up during his first dinner at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) His need for more food than most people.
(b) His crossing the plains.
(c) His time with the Spanish army.
(d) His love of brandy.
15. Where does everyone sit after dinner when Grandfather is first visiting?
(a) In front of the fireplace.
(b) In a very old tree on the property.
(c) In Jody's room to help him fall asleep.
(d) Outside on the porch.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandfather react to what he overhears in the kitchen the morning after he arrives?
2. How long does Billy say it takes for a colt to be born?
3. What does Billy Buck do to show his respect for Grandfather?
4. What does Grandfather overhear in the Tiflin kitchen the morning after he arrives?
5. What does Jody decide to name the new colt?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)