|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of horse does Jody fantasize about having?
(a) A huge, black horse.
(b) He just wants his red pony back.
(c) A stallion.
(d) A little baby colt.
2. Why has Jody been told to take Nellie to someone else's ranch?
(a) To see how much she would get at auction.
(b) He hasn't been told to take her anywhere.
(c) To see if any of the neighbors would want to buy her.
(d) To breed her.
3. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
(a) Go get Mrs. Tiflin.
(b) Go get Carl right away.
(c) Send all the neighbors home.
(d) Go get hot water and a sponge.
4. How does Billy eventually get the baby colt out?
(a) He doesn't; Nellie isn't really pregnant.
(b) He reaches in and grabs it.
(c) He helps Nellie give birth.
(d) He cuts open Nellie.
5. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
(a) Mr. Jessup.
6. How does Jody plan on getting rid of the animals that are living under the haystack on the Tiflin ranch?
(a) By hunting them out with his dogs.
(b) By buying a cat for the ranch.
(c) By lighting the hay on fire and burning them out.
(d) By setting skunk traps.
7. How does Grandfather react to Jody's invitation to help in the mouse hunt?
(a) He declines.
(b) He says he'll help but doesn't really do anything.
(c) He gets very excited.
(d) He lectures Jody about treating all creatures kindly.
8. Who answers most of Jody's questions about the colt that is supposed to be coming?
(b) Billy Buck.
(c) Mrs. Tiflin.
(d) Jess Taylor.
9. What does Carl tell Jody not to blame on Billy?
(a) The horse sickness that is going through the town.
(b) The death of his red pony.
(c) His bad grades at school.
(d) Their financial troubles.
10. What does Jody imagine doing with his imaginary horse?
(a) Being asked by the president to catch a criminal.
(b) Winning rodeo contests.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Helping the sheriff.
11. How does Carl react to finding Jody sneaking back into bed after checking on Nellie in the middle of the night?
(a) He laughs and stays up to talk with Jody.
(b) He is furious.
(c) He is torn between pride and anger.
(d) He beats Jody.
12. How much advanced notice do the Tiflins have of Grandfather's visit?
(a) One month.
(b) None; they find out the day he is supposed to arrive.
(c) Three days.
(d) One week.
13. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
(a) She helps comfort Nellie.
(b) She helps comfort the newborn calf.
(c) She helps comfort Jody.
(d) None; she is sleeping.
14. What does Mrs. Tiflin claim was the biggest thing in her father's life?
(a) Crossing the plains.
(b) Having her get married.
(c) Meeting his wife.
(d) Serving in the Spanish War.
15. Who is Mule-tail Buck?
(a) Grandfather's best friend.
(b) The Tiflin's neighbor.
(c) Grandfather's traveling companion.
(d) Billy Buck's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
2. What does Jody plan to do in the early morning after his Grandfather has arrived?
3. Who is the only person to encourage Grandfather's storytelling during his first night at the Tiflins?
4. How much does Grandfather say Jody has grown when he first sees him?
5. What interrupts Grandfather's storytelling the first night he is visiting the Tiflins?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)