|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
(a) Flowers for Mrs. Tiflin.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) Something white.
(d) An injured animal.
2. Why does Billy tell Jody to go outside when Nellie is supposedly in labor?
(a) So he can charge people admission at the door.
(b) So he can stand guard.
(c) So he can keep Carl away.
(d) So he doesn't see Billy kill Nellie.
3. What does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
(a) Beautiful rocks.
(b) Lots of small animals.
(c) Strange pieces of metal he finds along the roadside.
4. Why has Jody been told to take Nellie to someone else's ranch?
(a) To breed her.
(b) To see if any of the neighbors would want to buy her.
(c) He hasn't been told to take her anywhere.
(d) To see how much she would get at auction.
5. What does Jody plan to do in the early morning after his Grandfather has arrived?
(a) Wake up early to make sure he's around when his grandfather wakes up.
(b) Wake up early and bring his grandfather breakfast in bed.
(c) Wake up early and go through his grandfather's stuff.
(d) Kill the mice in the haystack.
6. How does Billy free the colt once it is born?
(a) He tears the sac open with his teeth.
(b) He uses a knife to cut it free.
(c) Nothing, because there is no real colt; the horse only thought it was pregnant.
(d) He washes it off by himself.
7. What nickname does Jody give to his imaginary horse?
(a) "Black Racer."
(c) "Black Demon."
(d) "Black Beauty."
8. What article of clothing does Carl pin something on of Jody's when he sets off with Nellie?
(a) Inside his overalls.
(b) Inside his sock.
(c) On his shoe.
(d) On his undershirt.
9. What items are in the mailbox when Jody returns home from school in Chapter 3?
(a) A catalog and a newspaper.
(b) A birthday present from Jody's grandmother.
(c) The flute Jody had ordered a few weeks earlier.
(d) A dead squirrel.
10. What month is it when Chapter 4 opens?
11. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
(a) It has become stronger with time.
(b) It has disappeared.
(c) It has started to consume him.
(d) It just gets worse and worse everyday.
12. What does Jody decide to name the new colt?
(a) There is no colt for him to name.
(b) Jody, Jr.
(c) We never find out.
(d) He doesn't want to name something that has died.
13. What interrupts Grandfather's storytelling the first night he is visiting the Tiflins?
(a) A neighbor's cry for help.
(b) A very loud noise from outside.
(c) A small fire in the kitchen.
(d) A moth in the room that Billy and Carl try to catch.
14. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
(b) Mr. Jessup.
15. How does Grandfather react to Jody's invitation to help in the mouse hunt?
(a) He declines.
(b) He gets very excited.
(c) He says he'll help but doesn't really do anything.
(d) He lectures Jody about treating all creatures kindly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does Grandfather bring up during his first dinner at the Tiflin ranch?
2. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
3. When Jody wakes up crying in Chapter 3, what does his mother say to calm him down?
4. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
5. What does Mrs. Tiflin claim was the biggest thing in her father's life?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)