|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jody spend most of his time during January?
(a) In the house, worrying.
(b) At school trying to distract himself.
(c) With Nellie in her stall.
(d) With his mother, just like a small child.
2. What does Jody do with his surprise-filled lunchbox when he returns home from school?
(a) He buries it under the porch.
(b) He leaves it in the mailbox.
(c) He hides it in his room.
(d) He leaves it with his mother.
3. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
(a) None; she is sleeping.
(b) She helps comfort Jody.
(c) She helps comfort the newborn calf.
(d) She helps comfort Nellie.
4. How does Grandfather react to Jody's invitation to help in the mouse hunt?
(a) He lectures Jody about treating all creatures kindly.
(b) He declines.
(c) He gets very excited.
(d) He says he'll help but doesn't really do anything.
5. How does Billy know there is a problem with Nellie's pregnancy?
(a) Nellie is too big for a regular pregnant horse.
(b) Nellie is acting funny.
(c) He had a dream about something being wrong.
(d) He can feel the colt inside.
6. What does Billy end up doing to Nellie?
(a) Selling her to a neighbor as she lay dying.
(b) Giving her a warm bath to calm her down.
(c) Calming her with hot mash.
(d) Killing her with a hammer.
7. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
(a) Getting a huge group of people across the country/out West.
(b) Looking too much into the future without understanding how you got into the present.
(c) Holding on to your past when you should really let it go.
(d) Learning to read the wind when it blows west.
8. How much does Grandfather say Jody has grown when he first sees him?
(a) About six inches.
(b) Not very much at all.
(c) About one inch.
(d) Nearly a foot!
9. What does Jody imagine doing with his imaginary horse?
(a) Helping the sheriff.
(b) Winning rodeo contests.
(c) Being asked by the president to catch a criminal.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
10. Who is the only person to encourage Grandfather's storytelling during his first night at the Tiflins?
(a) Billy Buck.
(d) Mrs. Tiflin.
11. What is the one thing Jody remembers his grandfather talking about?
(b) His time in Spain.
12. What does Carl tell Jody not to blame on Billy?
(a) Their financial troubles.
(b) The horse sickness that is going through the town.
(c) The death of his red pony.
(d) His bad grades at school.
13. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
(a) Because Grandfather is filling Jody's head with stories.
(b) Because Grandfather is drunk all of the time.
(c) He doesn't.
(d) Because he has had it with Grandfather's crazy stories.
14. What role does Carl play in the horse's birth?
(a) None; he isn't there.
(b) He comforts Jody.
(c) He is strangely quiet in the corner.
(d) He is busy bossing everyone around.
15. How long does Billy say it takes for a colt to be born?
(a) Two months.
(b) Nearly a year.
(c) One week.
(d) Nine months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does Jody offer to make for his Grandfather when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
2. How does Jody know Nellie is going into labor?
3. What makes Jody excited about seeing the mailbox when Chapter 3 opens?
4. How does Grandfather react to what he overhears in the kitchen the morning after he arrives?
5. How does the Tiflin family learn that Mrs. Tiflin's father will be coming to visit?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)