|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jody wakes up crying in Chapter 3, what does his mother say to calm him down?
(a) To be quiet so he doesn't anger Carl.
(b) To try to wake up and start over again.
(c) To eat a cookie as a treat and then go back to bed.
(d) To remember that dreams aren't real.
2. Why does Billy Buck respect Grandfather so much?
(a) Because he is an elder.
(b) Because he is the owner of the property.
(c) Because Grandfather saved his life once.
(d) Because he feels they are kindred spirits.
3. What kind of horse does Jody fantasize about having?
(a) He just wants his red pony back.
(b) A stallion.
(c) A huge, black horse.
(d) A little baby colt.
4. What is the one thing Jody remembers his grandfather talking about?
(a) His time in Spain.
5. During the first dinner with Grandfather, what does Billy say makes people hungrier?
(a) Staying in the same location all the time.
(b) Being idle.
(c) Moving around.
(d) Being in bad weather.
6. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
(a) Two pieces of pie.
(b) Breakfast foods.
(c) A slice of bread only, as the Taylors are very poor.
(d) A huge turkey dinner.
7. How does the Tiflin family learn that Mrs. Tiflin's father will be coming to visit?
(a) He just appears.
(b) By letter.
(c) Through word of mouth passed along by the neighbors.
(d) By telegram.
8. How does Carl react to finding Jody sneaking back into bed after checking on Nellie in the middle of the night?
(a) He is torn between pride and anger.
(b) He laughs and stays up to talk with Jody.
(c) He beats Jody.
(d) He is furious.
9. When Jody finally brings Grandfather his drink, where does he sit?
(a) He decides to stand as a sign of respect.
(b) On his lap.
(c) On the porch swing.
(d) At his feet.
10. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Because Jody offers him his favorite drink.
(c) Because he sees Jody's face and wants to be polite.
(d) Because he is thirsty.
11. Where does Jody offer to meet his grandfather?
(a) Out on the road.
(b) At the front door with his sailor suit on.
(c) At the train station.
(d) At the bus station.
12. When Jody is worried about Nellie, what does Carl tell Jody about Billy?
(a) That he's the best horseman around.
(b) That Billy is paid well and works hard for his money.
(c) That they can't afford anyone better than Billy so Jody better pray to help things out.
(d) That Billy will be fired if anything happens to the horse.
13. What does Jody tell Grandfather has happened to Riley?
(a) He was eaten by a coyote.
(b) He shed his skin for the first time.
(c) He was smothered by a haystack.
(d) He was suspended from school for using bad words.
14. What reason does Mrs. Tiflin give about why it takes Grandfather so long to rise in the morning?
(a) Because he feels unwelcome in their house.
(b) Because he moves slower as a result of his old age.
(c) Because he dresses with care.
(d) Because he is lazy.
15. What does Mrs. Tiflin claim was the biggest thing in her father's life?
(a) Serving in the Spanish War.
(b) Having her get married.
(c) Meeting his wife.
(d) Crossing the plains.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Billy say it takes for a colt to be born?
2. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
3. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
4. What makes Jody excited about seeing the mailbox when Chapter 3 opens?
5. Who answers most of Jody's questions about the colt that is supposed to be coming?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)