|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy end up doing to Nellie?
(a) Selling her to a neighbor as she lay dying.
(b) Killing her with a hammer.
(c) Calming her with hot mash.
(d) Giving her a warm bath to calm her down.
2. Who answers most of Jody's questions about the colt that is supposed to be coming?
(a) Billy Buck.
(c) Mrs. Tiflin.
(d) Jess Taylor.
3. What problem does Billy find with Nellie's pregnancy?
(a) That the colt is turned the wrong way.
(b) That the colt is already dead before it is born.
(c) That she is going to have twins.
(d) That Nellie has a tumor inside, not a baby.
4. What time is it when Jody first leaves the barn after the horse's birth?
5. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
(a) Because Grandfather is drunk all of the time.
(b) Because Grandfather is filling Jody's head with stories.
(c) Because he has had it with Grandfather's crazy stories.
(d) He doesn't.
6. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
(a) Because he is thirsty.
(b) Because Jody offers him his favorite drink.
(c) Because he sees Jody's face and wants to be polite.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
7. Whose ranch has Jody been told to take Nellie to?
(a) Billy Buck's.
(b) No one's.
(c) Jess Taylor's.
(d) A stranger's.
8. What article of clothing does Carl pin something on of Jody's when he sets off with Nellie?
(a) On his undershirt.
(b) On his shoe.
(c) Inside his overalls.
(d) Inside his sock.
9. How does Grandfather react to what he overhears in the kitchen the morning after he arrives?
(a) He pretends he didn't hear anything.
(b) He becomes furiously angry.
(c) He is hurt a little by it.
(d) He laughs it off.
10. What does Jody imagine doing with his imaginary horse?
(a) Winning rodeo contests.
(b) Being asked by the president to catch a criminal.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Helping the sheriff.
11. How does Billy eventually get the baby colt out?
(a) He helps Nellie give birth.
(b) He doesn't; Nellie isn't really pregnant.
(c) He reaches in and grabs it.
(d) He cuts open Nellie.
12. When Jody wakes up crying in Chapter 3, what does his mother say to calm him down?
(a) To eat a cookie as a treat and then go back to bed.
(b) To be quiet so he doesn't anger Carl.
(c) To remember that dreams aren't real.
(d) To try to wake up and start over again.
13. What reason does Mrs. Tiflin give about why it takes Grandfather so long to rise in the morning?
(a) Because he feels unwelcome in their house.
(b) Because he dresses with care.
(c) Because he moves slower as a result of his old age.
(d) Because he is lazy.
14. Why does Grandfather think Jody wants to listen to his stories so much?
(a) Because he is still a boy.
(b) Because he is trying to get his dad mad again.
(c) Because he is trying to be respectful.
(d) Because he is just patronizing him.
15. How does Jody plan on getting rid of the animals that are living under the haystack on the Tiflin ranch?
(a) By lighting the hay on fire and burning them out.
(b) By buying a cat for the ranch.
(c) By hunting them out with his dogs.
(d) By setting skunk traps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
2. How does the Tiflin family learn that Mrs. Tiflin's father will be coming to visit?
3. What does Mrs. Tiflin claim was the biggest thing in her father's life?
4. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
5. What drink does Jody offer to make for his Grandfather when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)