|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interrupts Grandfather's storytelling the first night he is visiting the Tiflins?
(a) A small fire in the kitchen.
(b) A neighbor's cry for help.
(c) A moth in the room that Billy and Carl try to catch.
(d) A very loud noise from outside.
2. How does Billy know there is a problem with Nellie's pregnancy?
(a) Nellie is too big for a regular pregnant horse.
(b) Nellie is acting funny.
(c) He had a dream about something being wrong.
(d) He can feel the colt inside.
3. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
(a) None; she is sleeping.
(b) She helps comfort the newborn calf.
(c) She helps comfort Nellie.
(d) She helps comfort Jody.
4. Why does Billy Buck respect Grandfather so much?
(a) Because Grandfather saved his life once.
(b) Because he feels they are kindred spirits.
(c) Because he is the owner of the property.
(d) Because he is an elder.
5. When Jody is worried about Nellie, what does Carl tell Jody about Billy?
(a) That Billy will be fired if anything happens to the horse.
(b) That he's the best horseman around.
(c) That Billy is paid well and works hard for his money.
(d) That they can't afford anyone better than Billy so Jody better pray to help things out.
6. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
(a) She isn't.
(b) She is sad about her father's death.
(c) She wants Jody to stay a little boy forever.
(d) She is tired of her life.
7. What does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
(b) Beautiful rocks.
(c) Strange pieces of metal he finds along the roadside.
(d) Lots of small animals.
8. What kind of horse does Jody fantasize about having?
(a) A stallion.
(b) A little baby colt.
(c) He just wants his red pony back.
(d) A huge, black horse.
9. What does Jody imagine doing with his imaginary horse?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Being asked by the president to catch a criminal.
(c) Helping the sheriff.
(d) Winning rodeo contests.
10. What does Jody plan to do in the early morning after his Grandfather has arrived?
(a) Kill the mice in the haystack.
(b) Wake up early and bring his grandfather breakfast in bed.
(c) Wake up early to make sure he's around when his grandfather wakes up.
(d) Wake up early and go through his grandfather's stuff.
11. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
(a) Mr. Jessup.
12. What does Grandfather overhear in the Tiflin kitchen the morning after he arrives?
(a) Mrs. Tiflin talking about his failing memory.
(b) Jody saying that he smells like an old man.
(c) Billy saying that he has lost his respect for him.
(d) Carl complaining about his endless storytelling.
13. How much does Grandfather say Jody has grown when he first sees him?
(a) About one inch.
(b) About six inches.
(c) Not very much at all.
(d) Nearly a foot!
14. Whose ranch has Jody been told to take Nellie to?
(a) No one's.
(b) A stranger's.
(c) Jess Taylor's.
(d) Billy Buck's.
15. Where does Jody spend most of his time during January?
(a) With Nellie in her stall.
(b) With his mother, just like a small child.
(c) At school trying to distract himself.
(d) In the house, worrying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
2. Who is Riley?
3. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
4. Who picks up Jody and puts him on a horse for safety?
5. How does Grandfather react to what he overhears in the kitchen the morning after he arrives?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)