|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much advanced notice do the Tiflins have of Grandfather's visit?
(a) None; they find out the day he is supposed to arrive.
(b) One week.
(c) Three days.
(d) One month.
2. How long does Grandfather say he is planning to stay with the Tiflins?
(a) Two months.
(b) One week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One month.
3. How does Jody's grandfather arrive at the ranch?
(a) By bus.
(b) By car.
(c) By cart and horse.
(d) By foot.
4. How does Billy free the colt once it is born?
(a) He tears the sac open with his teeth.
(b) He uses a knife to cut it free.
(c) Nothing, because there is no real colt; the horse only thought it was pregnant.
(d) He washes it off by himself.
5. Who is Mule-tail Buck?
(a) Grandfather's traveling companion.
(b) Grandfather's best friend.
(c) Billy Buck's father.
(d) The Tiflin's neighbor.
6. What nickname does Jody give to his imaginary horse?
(a) "Black Racer."
(b) "Black Demon."
(c) "Black Beauty."
7. What does Jody plan to do in the early morning after his Grandfather has arrived?
(a) Wake up early and go through his grandfather's stuff.
(b) Wake up early and bring his grandfather breakfast in bed.
(c) Kill the mice in the haystack.
(d) Wake up early to make sure he's around when his grandfather wakes up.
8. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
(a) She wants Jody to stay a little boy forever.
(b) She is tired of her life.
(c) She is sad about her father's death.
(d) She isn't.
9. What topic does Grandfather bring up during his first dinner at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) His need for more food than most people.
(b) His love of brandy.
(c) His crossing the plains.
(d) His time with the Spanish army.
10. How is Jody picked up and put on a horse for safety?
(a) By his arm, which has been injured.
(b) By his shirt.
(c) By his hair.
(d) By his overall straps.
11. What does Jody imagine doing with his imaginary horse?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Being asked by the president to catch a criminal.
(c) Helping the sheriff.
(d) Winning rodeo contests.
12. What does Billy Buck say about how Nellie is handling her pregnancy?
(a) That she has gone crazy.
(b) That she has "turned nice."
(c) The she only thinks she is pregnant but really isn't.
(d) That she is comforted by Jody only.
13. Why is Jody so worried about Nellie?
(a) He doesn't want her to die like his pony did.
(b) He just worries about everything anyway.
(c) Carl will beat him if anything happens to the horse.
(d) She is acting very strangely.
14. Why does Grandfather think Jody wants to listen to his stories so much?
(a) Because he is still a boy.
(b) Because he is just patronizing him.
(c) Because he is trying to be respectful.
(d) Because he is trying to get his dad mad again.
15. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
(a) Something white.
(b) Flowers for Mrs. Tiflin.
(c) A new puppy.
(d) An injured animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grandfather hate the ocean?
2. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
3. What time is it when Jody first leaves the barn after the horse's birth?
4. Who answers most of Jody's questions about the colt that is supposed to be coming?
5. What article of clothing does Carl pin something on of Jody's when he sets off with Nellie?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)