|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What items are in the mailbox when Jody returns home from school in Chapter 3?
(a) A dead squirrel.
(b) A catalog and a newspaper.
(c) A birthday present from Jody's grandmother.
(d) The flute Jody had ordered a few weeks earlier.
2. What does Billy do to try to fix Nellie's problem with the delivery?
(a) Turn the colt around inside.
(b) Get help from the neighbors.
(d) Drug Nellie.
3. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
(a) She helps comfort Jody.
(b) None; she is sleeping.
(c) She helps comfort Nellie.
(d) She helps comfort the newborn calf.
4. What nickname does Jody give to his imaginary horse?
(b) "Black Racer."
(c) "Black Demon."
(d) "Black Beauty."
5. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
(a) Flowers for Mrs. Tiflin.
(b) An injured animal.
(c) Something white.
(d) A new puppy.
6. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
(a) He was a leader of sorts.
(b) He was a horseman.
(c) He was responsible for rationing water.
(d) He was a hunter.
7. What article of clothing does Carl pin something on of Jody's when he sets off with Nellie?
(a) On his undershirt.
(b) On his shoe.
(c) Inside his sock.
(d) Inside his overalls.
8. How long does Billy say it takes for a colt to be born?
(a) Two months.
(b) One week.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Nearly a year.
9. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
(a) Because Grandfather is drunk all of the time.
(b) Because he has had it with Grandfather's crazy stories.
(c) Because Grandfather is filling Jody's head with stories.
(d) He doesn't.
10. What does Carl tell Jody not to blame on Billy?
(a) The horse sickness that is going through the town.
(b) His bad grades at school.
(c) Their financial troubles.
(d) The death of his red pony.
11. What does Billy Buck say about how Nellie is handling her pregnancy?
(a) That she has "turned nice."
(b) That she is comforted by Jody only.
(c) That she has gone crazy.
(d) The she only thinks she is pregnant but really isn't.
12. What does Jody do with his surprise-filled lunchbox when he returns home from school?
(a) He leaves it with his mother.
(b) He leaves it in the mailbox.
(c) He hides it in his room.
(d) He buries it under the porch.
13. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
(a) It has become stronger with time.
(b) It has disappeared.
(c) It just gets worse and worse everyday.
(d) It has started to consume him.
14. How does Billy free the colt once it is born?
(a) He uses a knife to cut it free.
(b) He tears the sac open with his teeth.
(c) Nothing, because there is no real colt; the horse only thought it was pregnant.
(d) He washes it off by himself.
15. What does Carl tell Grandfather in front of everyone about what Grandfather has overheard?
(a) "I didn't mean it."
(b) "Billy didn't mean it."
(c) "Jody didn't mean it."
(d) "Ruth didn't mean it."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
2. What does Mule-tale Buck do for a living?
3. Why is Jody so worried about Nellie?
4. How much advanced notice do the Tiflins have of Grandfather's visit?
5. Where does Jody offer to meet his grandfather?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)