|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
(a) Two pieces of pie.
(b) Breakfast foods.
(c) A slice of bread only, as the Taylors are very poor.
(d) A huge turkey dinner.
2. How does Jody feel about Grandfather's comment about how much he has grown?
3. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
(a) She is sad about her father's death.
(b) She isn't.
(c) She is tired of her life.
(d) She wants Jody to stay a little boy forever.
4. What does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
(b) Strange pieces of metal he finds along the roadside.
(c) Beautiful rocks.
(d) Lots of small animals.
5. What does Billy Buck say about how Nellie is handling her pregnancy?
(a) That she is comforted by Jody only.
(b) That she has gone crazy.
(c) That she has "turned nice."
(d) The she only thinks she is pregnant but really isn't.
6. What does Mule-tale Buck do for a living?
(a) He used to be a colonel in the army.
(b) He was a mule packer.
(c) He used to breed horses.
(d) He used to be an artist.
7. What does Jody tell Grandfather has happened to Riley?
(a) He was suspended from school for using bad words.
(b) He shed his skin for the first time.
(c) He was smothered by a haystack.
(d) He was eaten by a coyote.
8. Where does everyone sit after dinner when Grandfather is first visiting?
(a) In Jody's room to help him fall asleep.
(b) In front of the fireplace.
(c) Outside on the porch.
(d) In a very old tree on the property.
9. How does Jody know Nellie is going into labor?
(a) She has run out of the barn.
(b) She is having spasms.
(c) She won't let anyone near her.
(d) She is incredibly hungry.
10. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
(a) It has disappeared.
(b) It has started to consume him.
(c) It just gets worse and worse everyday.
(d) It has become stronger with time.
11. How does Billy know there is a problem with Nellie's pregnancy?
(a) Nellie is acting funny.
(b) Nellie is too big for a regular pregnant horse.
(c) He had a dream about something being wrong.
(d) He can feel the colt inside.
12. When does Nellie finally begin to show signs of pregnancy?
(a) In April.
(b) Unfortunately, she never does.
(c) In September.
(d) On Christmas day.
13. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
(a) Learning to read the wind when it blows west.
(b) Getting a huge group of people across the country/out West.
(c) Holding on to your past when you should really let it go.
(d) Looking too much into the future without understanding how you got into the present.
14. How does Carl react to finding Jody sneaking back into bed after checking on Nellie in the middle of the night?
(a) He beats Jody.
(b) He laughs and stays up to talk with Jody.
(c) He is furious.
(d) He is torn between pride and anger.
15. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
(d) Mr. Jessup.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does Grandfather bring up during his first dinner at the Tiflin ranch?
2. When Jody is worried about Nellie, what does Carl tell Jody about Billy?
3. Who is Mule-tail Buck?
4. Why does Grandfather hate the ocean?
5. What does Billy do to try to fix Nellie's problem with the delivery?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)