|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
(a) Learning to read the wind when it blows west.
(b) Getting a huge group of people across the country/out West.
(c) Looking too much into the future without understanding how you got into the present.
(d) Holding on to your past when you should really let it go.
2. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
(a) It just gets worse and worse everyday.
(b) It has started to consume him.
(c) It has become stronger with time.
(d) It has disappeared.
3. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
(a) She helps comfort the newborn calf.
(b) None; she is sleeping.
(c) She helps comfort Nellie.
(d) She helps comfort Jody.
4. What is the colt born in?
(a) The placenta.
(b) A twisted mess of pus.
(c) A strange tumor of some kind.
(d) The colt is never born, actually.
5. What problem does Billy find with Nellie's pregnancy?
(a) That the colt is turned the wrong way.
(b) That Nellie has a tumor inside, not a baby.
(c) That she is going to have twins.
(d) That the colt is already dead before it is born.
6. How does Grandfather react to Jody's invitation to help in the mouse hunt?
(a) He declines.
(b) He lectures Jody about treating all creatures kindly.
(c) He says he'll help but doesn't really do anything.
(d) He gets very excited.
7. Who is Nellie?
(a) Jody's cousin.
(b) A neighbor's horse.
(c) A female horse on the Tiflin ranch.
(d) Jody's schoolteacher.
8. What reason does Mrs. Tiflin give about why it takes Grandfather so long to rise in the morning?
(a) Because he is lazy.
(b) Because he feels unwelcome in their house.
(c) Because he dresses with care.
(d) Because he moves slower as a result of his old age.
9. What does Carl tell Jody about his work with Nellie?
(a) That he needs to not be so attached to the horse.
(b) That he needs to focus on school more and horses less.
(c) That he has done a good job.
(d) That he needs to relax -- a lot.
10. What time is it when Jody first leaves the barn after the horse's birth?
11. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
(a) She wants Jody to stay a little boy forever.
(b) She isn't.
(c) She is tired of her life.
(d) She is sad about her father's death.
12. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
(a) Go get Mrs. Tiflin.
(b) Go get Carl right away.
(c) Send all the neighbors home.
(d) Go get hot water and a sponge.
13. Where does Jody spend most of his time during January?
(a) In the house, worrying.
(b) With his mother, just like a small child.
(c) At school trying to distract himself.
(d) With Nellie in her stall.
14. How does the Tiflin family learn that Mrs. Tiflin's father will be coming to visit?
(a) He just appears.
(b) Through word of mouth passed along by the neighbors.
(c) By letter.
(d) By telegram.
15. What is Carl carrying in his hand when he first makes an appearance in Chapter 4?
(a) Something white.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) Flowers for Mrs. Tiflin.
(d) An injured animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jody know Nellie is going into labor?
2. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
3. What happens to Nellie while Jody is trying to take her somewhere?
4. Why does Grandfather hate the ocean?
5. What does Jody do with his surprise-filled lunchbox when he returns home from school?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)