|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Tiflin claim was the biggest thing in her father's life?
(a) Serving in the Spanish War.
(b) Having her get married.
(c) Crossing the plains.
(d) Meeting his wife.
2. How does Billy free the colt once it is born?
(a) He washes it off by himself.
(b) He uses a knife to cut it free.
(c) Nothing, because there is no real colt; the horse only thought it was pregnant.
(d) He tears the sac open with his teeth.
3. Where does Jody spend most of his time during January?
(a) In the house, worrying.
(b) With his mother, just like a small child.
(c) At school trying to distract himself.
(d) With Nellie in her stall.
4. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
(a) Getting a huge group of people across the country/out West.
(b) Holding on to your past when you should really let it go.
(c) Learning to read the wind when it blows west.
(d) Looking too much into the future without understanding how you got into the present.
5. When Jody wakes up crying in Chapter 3, what does his mother say to calm him down?
(a) To remember that dreams aren't real.
(b) To be quiet so he doesn't anger Carl.
(c) To try to wake up and start over again.
(d) To eat a cookie as a treat and then go back to bed.
6. How is Jody picked up and put on a horse for safety?
(a) By his shirt.
(b) By his hair.
(c) By his overall straps.
(d) By his arm, which has been injured.
7. How does Jody know Nellie is going into labor?
(a) She is incredibly hungry.
(b) She has run out of the barn.
(c) She is having spasms.
(d) She won't let anyone near her.
8. How does Billy eventually get the baby colt out?
(a) He helps Nellie give birth.
(b) He cuts open Nellie.
(c) He reaches in and grabs it.
(d) He doesn't; Nellie isn't really pregnant.
9. What nickname does Jody give to his imaginary horse?
(a) "Black Beauty."
(c) "Black Demon."
(d) "Black Racer."
10. Where does Jody offer to meet his grandfather?
(a) At the train station.
(b) At the bus station.
(c) Out on the road.
(d) At the front door with his sailor suit on.
11. What does Billy do to try to fix Nellie's problem with the delivery?
(b) Drug Nellie.
(c) Turn the colt around inside.
(d) Get help from the neighbors.
12. Who is Riley?
(a) Jody's friend at school.
(b) Jody's pet snake.
(c) The Tiflin's big boar.
(d) The Tiflin's pet cat.
13. How long does Billy say it takes for a colt to be born?
(a) Nine months.
(b) One week.
(c) Nearly a year.
(d) Two months.
14. When Jody is worried about Nellie, what does Carl tell Jody about Billy?
(a) That he's the best horseman around.
(b) That Billy will be fired if anything happens to the horse.
(c) That Billy is paid well and works hard for his money.
(d) That they can't afford anyone better than Billy so Jody better pray to help things out.
15. How does Jody feel about Grandfather's comment about how much he has grown?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
2. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
3. What does Jody plan to do in the early morning after his Grandfather has arrived?
4. How does Carl react to finding Jody sneaking back into bed after checking on Nellie in the middle of the night?
5. What does Jody do with his surprise-filled lunchbox when he returns home from school?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)