|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does everyone sit after dinner when Grandfather is first visiting?
(a) In a very old tree on the property.
(b) In Jody's room to help him fall asleep.
(c) Outside on the porch.
(d) In front of the fireplace.
2. What interrupts Grandfather's storytelling the first night he is visiting the Tiflins?
(a) A very loud noise from outside.
(b) A neighbor's cry for help.
(c) A moth in the room that Billy and Carl try to catch.
(d) A small fire in the kitchen.
3. When does Nellie finally begin to show signs of pregnancy?
(a) Unfortunately, she never does.
(b) In April.
(c) On Christmas day.
(d) In September.
4. How does Jody know Nellie is going into labor?
(a) She won't let anyone near her.
(b) She is having spasms.
(c) She has run out of the barn.
(d) She is incredibly hungry.
5. Who is Mule-tail Buck?
(a) The Tiflin's neighbor.
(b) Grandfather's best friend.
(c) Grandfather's traveling companion.
(d) Billy Buck's father.
6. How does the Tiflin family learn that Mrs. Tiflin's father will be coming to visit?
(a) He just appears.
(b) By telegram.
(c) By letter.
(d) Through word of mouth passed along by the neighbors.
7. Who answers most of Jody's questions about the colt that is supposed to be coming?
(b) Mrs. Tiflin.
(c) Jess Taylor.
(d) Billy Buck.
8. Where does Jody offer to meet his grandfather?
(a) At the train station.
(b) At the front door with his sailor suit on.
(c) Out on the road.
(d) At the bus station.
9. How does Billy free the colt once it is born?
(a) He washes it off by himself.
(b) Nothing, because there is no real colt; the horse only thought it was pregnant.
(c) He tears the sac open with his teeth.
(d) He uses a knife to cut it free.
10. What does Jody do with his surprise-filled lunchbox when he returns home from school?
(a) He leaves it in the mailbox.
(b) He leaves it with his mother.
(c) He buries it under the porch.
(d) He hides it in his room.
11. What time is it when Jody first leaves the barn after the horse's birth?
12. How does Billy eventually get the baby colt out?
(a) He doesn't; Nellie isn't really pregnant.
(b) He helps Nellie give birth.
(c) He cuts open Nellie.
(d) He reaches in and grabs it.
13. What season is it when Chapter 3 opens?
(c) July 4th.
14. What does Mule-tale Buck do for a living?
(a) He was a mule packer.
(b) He used to be an artist.
(c) He used to breed horses.
(d) He used to be a colonel in the army.
15. What makes Jody excited about seeing the mailbox when Chapter 3 opens?
(a) It is new.
(b) It has been bashed in.
(c) He has been told he can paint it however he likes.
(d) The flag is open.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Tiflin claim was the biggest thing in her father's life?
2. When Jody wakes up crying in Chapter 3, what does his mother say to calm him down?
3. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
4. How does Billy know there is a problem with Nellie's pregnancy?
5. How much does Grandfather say Jody has grown when he first sees him?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)