|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Billy tell Jody to go outside when Nellie is supposedly in labor?
(a) So he can keep Carl away.
(b) So he doesn't see Billy kill Nellie.
(c) So he can charge people admission at the door.
(d) So he can stand guard.
2. How does Jody plan on getting rid of the animals that are living under the haystack on the Tiflin ranch?
(a) By lighting the hay on fire and burning them out.
(b) By buying a cat for the ranch.
(c) By setting skunk traps.
(d) By hunting them out with his dogs.
3. How does Grandfather react to what he overhears in the kitchen the morning after he arrives?
(a) He pretends he didn't hear anything.
(b) He becomes furiously angry.
(c) He laughs it off.
(d) He is hurt a little by it.
4. During the first dinner with Grandfather, what does Billy say makes people hungrier?
(a) Staying in the same location all the time.
(b) Moving around.
(c) Being in bad weather.
(d) Being idle.
5. How does Billy know there is a problem with Nellie's pregnancy?
(a) Nellie is too big for a regular pregnant horse.
(b) He had a dream about something being wrong.
(c) He can feel the colt inside.
(d) Nellie is acting funny.
6. What does Carl tell Jody not to blame on Billy?
(a) Their financial troubles.
(b) The death of his red pony.
(c) His bad grades at school.
(d) The horse sickness that is going through the town.
7. What does Billy Buck do to show his respect for Grandfather?
(a) Shaved mid-week.
(b) Taken his hat off.
(c) Washed his clothes.
(d) Gotten a haircut.
8. Where does Jody spend most of his time during January?
(a) At school trying to distract himself.
(b) With Nellie in her stall.
(c) With his mother, just like a small child.
(d) In the house, worrying.
9. What problem does Billy find with Nellie's pregnancy?
(a) That the colt is already dead before it is born.
(b) That she is going to have twins.
(c) That Nellie has a tumor inside, not a baby.
(d) That the colt is turned the wrong way.
10. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
(a) Looking too much into the future without understanding how you got into the present.
(b) Learning to read the wind when it blows west.
(c) Holding on to your past when you should really let it go.
(d) Getting a huge group of people across the country/out West.
11. What role does Carl play in the horse's birth?
(a) He comforts Jody.
(b) None; he isn't there.
(c) He is busy bossing everyone around.
(d) He is strangely quiet in the corner.
12. What does Billy Buck say about how Nellie is handling her pregnancy?
(a) That she has "turned nice."
(b) The she only thinks she is pregnant but really isn't.
(c) That she is comforted by Jody only.
(d) That she has gone crazy.
13. What items are in the mailbox when Jody returns home from school in Chapter 3?
(a) A catalog and a newspaper.
(b) A dead squirrel.
(c) A birthday present from Jody's grandmother.
(d) The flute Jody had ordered a few weeks earlier.
14. Who is Nellie?
(a) A neighbor's horse.
(b) Jody's cousin.
(c) A female horse on the Tiflin ranch.
(d) Jody's schoolteacher.
15. How does Grandfather react to Jody's invitation to help in the mouse hunt?
(a) He says he'll help but doesn't really do anything.
(b) He lectures Jody about treating all creatures kindly.
(c) He declines.
(d) He gets very excited.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
2. What month is it when Chapter 4 opens?
3. What time is it when Jody first leaves the barn after the horse's birth?
4. When Jody finally brings Grandfather his drink, where does he sit?
5. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)