|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Mrs. Tiflin play in the horse's birth?
(a) She helps comfort Nellie.
(b) She helps comfort the newborn calf.
(c) She helps comfort Jody.
(d) None; she is sleeping.
2. How much advanced notice do the Tiflins have of Grandfather's visit?
(a) None; they find out the day he is supposed to arrive.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) Three days.
3. What animals are living under the haystack on the Tiflin ranch?
4. What does Jody have to eat at Jess Taylor's ranch in Chapter 3?
(a) A huge turkey dinner.
(b) Breakfast foods.
(c) A slice of bread only, as the Taylors are very poor.
(d) Two pieces of pie.
5. How does Jody feel about Grandfather's comment about how much he has grown?
6. What does Jody put in his lunchbox on his way home from school in Chapter 3?
(b) Beautiful rocks.
(c) Strange pieces of metal he finds along the roadside.
(d) Lots of small animals.
7. Why does Grandfather think Jody wants to listen to his stories so much?
(a) Because he is just patronizing him.
(b) Because he is trying to be respectful.
(c) Because he is trying to get his dad mad again.
(d) Because he is still a boy.
8. What items are in the mailbox when Jody returns home from school in Chapter 3?
(a) A catalog and a newspaper.
(b) The flute Jody had ordered a few weeks earlier.
(c) A birthday present from Jody's grandmother.
(d) A dead squirrel.
9. What article of clothing does Carl pin something on of Jody's when he sets off with Nellie?
(a) Inside his sock.
(b) On his undershirt.
(c) Inside his overalls.
(d) On his shoe.
10. Who answers most of Jody's questions about the colt that is supposed to be coming?
(a) Mrs. Tiflin.
(b) Billy Buck.
(d) Jess Taylor.
11. Why does Grandfather accept Jody's offer for a drink when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
(a) Because he sees Jody's face and wants to be polite.
(b) Because Jody offers him his favorite drink.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Because he is thirsty.
12. What does Grandfather say has happened to his appetite for "westering"?
(a) It has become stronger with time.
(b) It has disappeared.
(c) It has started to consume him.
(d) It just gets worse and worse everyday.
13. Why does Carl lose his temper and make Grandfather leave?
(a) Because he has had it with Grandfather's crazy stories.
(b) Because Grandfather is drunk all of the time.
(c) He doesn't.
(d) Because Grandfather is filling Jody's head with stories.
14. What does Jody tell Grandfather has happened to Riley?
(a) He was eaten by a coyote.
(b) He shed his skin for the first time.
(c) He was smothered by a haystack.
(d) He was suspended from school for using bad words.
15. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
(a) He was a hunter.
(b) He was a horseman.
(c) He was responsible for rationing water.
(d) He was a leader of sorts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jody picked up and put on a horse for safety?
2. During the first dinner with Grandfather, what does Billy say makes people hungrier?
3. Who picks up Jody and puts him on a horse for safety?
4. What does Billy Buck say about how Nellie is handling her pregnancy?
5. Who is Riley?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)