|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color skin does Gitano have?
(b) Very freckly.
(d) It's hard to tell because he's been burned.
2. What does Jody initially want to name the pony?
(d) Gabilan Mountains.
3. How old is Jody Tiflin when the novel begins?
4. When will Jody be allowed to have cartridges for his gun?
(a) When he is no longer grounded for failing his classes.
(b) When he is 12.
(c) When he saves up enough money to buy some.
(d) When he is 14.
5. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
(a) Four o'clock.
(b) Noon (for lunch) and three o'clock.
(c) Six o'clock.
(d) After sunset, to be safe.
6. What would Billy Buck like to do with Easter?
(a) Sell him.
(b) Just let him relax and be.
(c) Work him until he dies.
(d) Shoot him.
7. What does Jody's mother do when she meets Gitano for the first time?
(a) Gets very scared and starts to cry.
(b) Cooks him dinner right away.
(c) Takes his packages and suitcases.
(d) Sends for Jody's father.
8. What would Carl like to do with Easter?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Work him until he dies.
(c) Sell him.
(d) Just let him relax and be.
9. How does Carl react to the confirmation that Gitano is with Easter?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He gets furiously angry.
(c) He doesn't care one way or the other.
(d) He sets up a search party.
10. How does Jody get to school?
(a) He takes the school bus.
(b) Billy Buck usually lets him ride a horse.
(c) Carl drives him.
(d) He walks.
11. Who is Smasher?
(a) Jody -- it's his nickname.
(b) One of Jody's dogs.
(c) The name of the bull on the ranch.
(d) Jody's pet cat.
12. How does Jody kill the animal that he kills for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
(a) With a slingshot.
(b) With his gun.
(c) With his hands.
(d) He makes his dog go attack it.
13. Who does Jody first show his new pony to?
(a) The neighborhood preacher.
(b) His teacher.
(c) No one -- he keeps it hidden away.
(d) Six boys from school.
14. Who is Jess Taylor?
(a) Another stranger who appears at the house.
(b) A neighbor of the Tiflins.
(c) Gitano's son.
(d) Jody's brother.
15. How is Carl's character first described?
(a) As a silly, fun-loving father.
(b) As a religious man.
(c) As an outgoing community leader.
(d) As a disciplinarian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of contests does Billy Buck win on Easter?
2. What makes Carl think that Easter is dead the morning Gitano leaves?
3. How is Jody's character first described?
4. How does Jody feel about the Gabilan mountains when Chapter 2 opens?
5. Where does Jody sleep while his pony is sick?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)