|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season is it when Chapter 2 opens?
2. What kind of information is Jody eager to get out of Gitano?
(a) What the mountains are like.
(b) Where he came from.
(c) What his family was like long ago.
(d) How much money he is carrying with him.
3. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
4. Where does Jody initially think Gitano comes from?
(b) Out of the big mountains.
(c) The past.
(d) A foreign country.
5. How many healthy horses do Gitano and Jody watch at the watering trough?
6. How does the pony's coat and mane look when Jody first sees them?
(a) Short and stubbly.
(b) Long and braided.
(c) Rough and tangled.
(d) Shiny and beautiful.
7. What unique item is Gitano wearing when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) A necklace made of cow teeth.
(b) Leather chaps.
(c) A Stetson hat.
(d) Very expensive boots.
8. Why is Jody so concerned about the rain and his pony?
(a) He thinks it is bad for horses to get wet.
(b) He hates the way wet horses smell.
(c) He doesn't want his pony to get spooked.
(d) He knows his horse hates rain.
9. As Jody's pony gets sicker, what life-saving procedure must Billy do to keep it alive?
(a) Amputate its leg.
(b) Keep it drugged.
(c) Cut a hole in its windpipe.
(d) Give it alcohol to keep it calm.
10. Who cooks dinner the day Gitano arrives on the Tiflin ranch?
(c) Gitano's wife.
(d) Mrs. Tiflin.
11. Where does Gitano claim to be born?
(a) On the Tiflin ranch.
(b) On another planet.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) In New Mexico.
12. What kind of horse was Easter when he was younger?
(a) Lazy and annoying.
(b) Beautiful and strong.
(c) Expensive but worthless.
(d) Stubborn and strong-willed.
13. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A gunny sack.
(c) A bag of fruit as a gift.
(d) A rifle.
14. How do the cow-pumpkins look when the novel first opens?
(a) They are enormous and expected to win a prize at the state fair.
(b) They are still too small to see.
(c) They are green and small.
(d) They are large and ready for harvesting.
15. How does Carl react to the confirmation that Gitano is with Easter?
(a) He doesn't care one way or the other.
(b) He sets up a search party.
(c) He gets furiously angry.
(d) He laughs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color eyes does Jody Tiflin have?
2. What kind of animal does Jody kill for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
3. Where does Jody get drinks of water from while walking around the ranch?
4. Where is the infected lump located on the pony?
5. Who is Billy Buck?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)