|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
2. Where does Jess report Gitano was heading?
(a) Nowhere in particular.
(b) Into the next town over.
(c) Into the mountains.
(d) Toward the Mexico border.
3. What is Billy Buck best known for?
(a) His fair banking practices.
(b) His ability to make crops grow.
(c) His fiery sermons.
(d) His skill with horses.
4. Who is Smasher?
(a) Jody -- it's his nickname.
(b) The name of the bull on the ranch.
(c) Jody's pet cat.
(d) One of Jody's dogs.
5. How can Jody tell the man approaching his house in Chapter 2 is older?
(a) He knows the man and knows that he is old.
(b) He can see his long beard right away.
(c) He smells him.
(d) By the way he walks.
6. What kind of animal does Jody kill for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
(a) A rat.
(b) A bird.
(c) A cat.
(d) A spider.
7. What item does Gitano leave behind when he leaves the Tiflins?
(a) Nothing; he steals from them.
(b) A sack of old coins.
(c) A gun.
(d) A bag.
8. How is Jody's character first described?
(a) As spoiled and rich.
(b) As very naughty.
(c) As loud and obnoxious.
(d) As obedient and shy.
9. What does Carl think Gitano has saved him from?
(a) A week's worth of unwanted houseguests.
(b) Bad luck.
(c) Dealing with Easter when he dies.
(d) The plague.
10. How does Jody's father react when he meets Gitano for the first time?
(a) He refuses to talk to him.
(b) He tells him he is not needed at the ranch.
(c) He threatens him with a gun.
(d) He is honored to have such a wise guest.
11. Who is Doubletree Mutt?
(a) Jody's pet toad.
(b) One of Jody's cats.
(c) One of Jody's dogs.
(d) Joday's pet racoon.
12. When does Billy Buck get up?
(a) Before sunrise.
(b) It depends on the day.
(c) Very late.
(d) At sunrise.
13. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A gunny sack.
(c) A bag of fruit as a gift.
(d) A fur coat.
14. How old is Jody when Chapter 2 concludes?
15. What does Jody have to do when he comes home from school every day?
(a) His afternoon chores.
(b) His homework.
(c) He just gets to play like a normal kid.
(d) Milk the cows.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy often perform at local rodeos?
2. Where does Jody get drinks of water from while walking around the ranch?
3. When Carl and Billy first return from being gone when the novel opens, what does Jody smell on their breath?
4. What ominous sign does Jody see that lets him know his pony has died?
5. What does Jody do after he learns Gitano has died?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)