|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jody initially think Gitano comes from?
(a) Out of the big mountains.
(c) A foreign country.
(d) The past.
2. How does Gitano leave his first dinner with the Tiflins?
(a) Grateful and thankful.
(c) Without a word.
(d) He falls asleep at the dinner table.
3. How does Jody feel when Carl and Billy are taking him out to show him his pony for the first time?
(b) Mad because he wanted a bike instead.
(c) Angry at having to get up so early.
4. Who does Jody first show his new pony to?
(a) Six boys from school.
(b) His teacher.
(c) The neighborhood preacher.
(d) No one -- he keeps it hidden away.
5. What color skin does Gitano have?
(a) Very freckly.
(d) It's hard to tell because he's been burned.
6. How do the cow-pumpkins look when the novel first opens?
(a) They are green and small.
(b) They are large and ready for harvesting.
(c) They are still too small to see.
(d) They are enormous and expected to win a prize at the state fair.
7. What kind of shoes does Jody Tiflin wear in late summer?
(c) Big boots because of all the rain.
8. What color hair does Jody Tiflin have?
9. What does Jody do after he learns Gitano has died?
(a) Shoot more animals.
(b) His homework.
(c) Gaze at the mountains.
(d) Goes through his memento box.
10. When does Billy Buck first go into the ranch house every day?
(a) When it is time for daily prayer.
(b) When Mrs. Tiflin rings the iron triangle.
(c) Whenever he wants to; he has a key.
(d) When he discusses finances with the Tiflins.
11. What does Jody have to do when he comes home from school every day?
(a) His afternoon chores.
(b) His homework.
(c) He just gets to play like a normal kid.
(d) Milk the cows.
12. What does Mrs. Tiflin say after Gitano leaves?
(a) Nothing; she isn't in the scene when Chapter 2 ends.
(b) She cries heavily.
(c) She gets in a huge fight with Carl.
(d) She blames the whole thing on innocent Jody.
13. What does Carl think Gitano has saved him from?
(a) Bad luck.
(b) A week's worth of unwanted houseguests.
(c) Dealing with Easter when he dies.
(d) The plague.
14. What item does Gitano leave behind when he leaves the Tiflins?
(a) A sack of old coins.
(b) Nothing; he steals from them.
(c) A bag.
(d) A gun.
15. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A gunny sack.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) A bag of fruit as a gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Billy Buck get up?
2. How is Jody's character first described?
3. What kind of contests does Billy Buck win on Easter?
4. Where is the infected lump located on the pony?
5. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)