|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Jody's pony gets sicker, what life-saving procedure must Billy do to keep it alive?
(a) Give it alcohol to keep it calm.
(b) Amputate its leg.
(c) Cut a hole in its windpipe.
(d) Keep it drugged.
2. What does Jody initially want to name the pony?
(d) Gabilan Mountains.
3. How is Jody's character first described?
(a) As loud and obnoxious.
(b) As obedient and shy.
(c) As very naughty.
(d) As spoiled and rich.
4. How is Carl's character first described?
(a) As a disciplinarian.
(b) As an outgoing community leader.
(c) As a silly, fun-loving father.
(d) As a religious man.
5. What kind of gun does Jody have?
(a) A .22.
(b) A .25.
(c) A .44.
(d) A cap gun.
6. Where does Carl suggest Gitano go after he leaves the Tiflin ranch?
(a) Back to wherever he came from.
(b) To a neighbor's ranch.
(c) To the town square so he can get a job.
7. Why does Jody feel the way he does after Gitano leaves?
(a) He's not sure.
(b) He feels badly for how he treated Gitano.
(c) He feels silly for letting his father get robbed.
(d) He wanted to go with him.
8. Who is Easter?
(a) A horse that really isn't any good anymore.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Carl's first horse.
(d) A horse that is about to die.
9. What season is it when Chapter 2 opens?
10. Where does The Red Pony take place?
(a) San Francisco, California.
(b) A small town in New Mexico.
(c) We never learn.
(d) Salinas, California.
11. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
(a) Exactly even with Jody.
(b) Over Jody's head.
(c) Knee high.
(d) It hasn't sprouted yet.
12. What would Billy Buck like to do with Easter?
(a) Sell him.
(b) Just let him relax and be.
(c) Work him until he dies.
(d) Shoot him.
13. What item did Carl and Billy get to go with the pony?
(a) A special rope.
(b) A saddle.
(d) A new, small barn.
14. What is the "carrion" that Jody mentions the buzzards are helpful with?
(a) Dead flesh.
(b) Seeds that need to be spread.
(c) Leftover crops.
(d) Poisonous buzzards.
15. How many healthy horses do Gitano and Jody watch at the watering trough?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Billy's horse often described?
2. Who does Jess Taylor say he saw riding Easter?
3. What kind of shoes does Jody Tiflin wear in late summer?
4. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
5. Where does Jody initially think Gitano comes from?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)