|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jess Taylor say he saw riding Easter?
(b) Billy Buck.
(c) A beautiful woman.
2. What season is it when Chapter 2 opens?
3. How do the cow-pumpkins look when the novel first opens?
(a) They are enormous and expected to win a prize at the state fair.
(b) They are large and ready for harvesting.
(c) They are still too small to see.
(d) They are green and small.
4. What gift does Carl give Jody to help him with riding his pony?
(a) Special riding pants.
(b) An old pair of spurs.
(c) A whip.
(d) A new saddle.
5. What item did Carl and Billy get to go with the pony?
(a) A saddle.
(c) A new, small barn.
(d) A special rope.
6. What kind of contests does Billy Buck win on Easter?
7. Where does Gitano claim to be born?
(a) In New Mexico.
(b) On another planet.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) On the Tiflin ranch.
8. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) A bag of fruit as a gift.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) A gunny sack.
(d) A rifle.
9. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
(a) After sunset, to be safe.
(b) Four o'clock.
(c) Six o'clock.
(d) Noon (for lunch) and three o'clock.
10. How does Carl react to the confirmation that Gitano is with Easter?
(a) He doesn't care one way or the other.
(b) He gets furiously angry.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He sets up a search party.
11. Where does Jody get drinks of water from while walking around the ranch?
(a) A Thermos he always carries with him.
(b) A river on their property.
(c) A pipe outlet from a cold spring.
(d) He has to go back to the kitchen.
12. Why does Jody initially invite Gitano down to the barn?
(a) To find a more comfortable place to sleep.
(b) To meet his red pony.
(c) To get him away from his angry father.
(d) To see the stock.
13. What does Jody's mother do when she meets Gitano for the first time?
(a) Sends for Jody's father.
(b) Gets very scared and starts to cry.
(c) Takes his packages and suitcases.
(d) Cooks him dinner right away.
14. Where did Carl get the pony from?
(a) He found him.
(b) He never says.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) A sheriff's auction.
15. What color skin does Gitano have?
(b) Very freckly.
(c) It's hard to tell because he's been burned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Carl like to do with Easter?
2. Who cooks dinner the day Gitano arrives on the Tiflin ranch?
3. Where does Gitano stay while at the Tiflin ranch?
4. How can Jody tell the man approaching his house in Chapter 2 is older?
5. How is Jody's character first described?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)