|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the cow-pumpkins look when the novel first opens?
(a) They are still too small to see.
(b) They are green and small.
(c) They are enormous and expected to win a prize at the state fair.
(d) They are large and ready for harvesting.
2. What does Jody's mother do when she meets Gitano for the first time?
(a) Takes his packages and suitcases.
(b) Sends for Jody's father.
(c) Gets very scared and starts to cry.
(d) Cooks him dinner right away.
3. How does Gitano leave his first dinner with the Tiflins?
(a) He falls asleep at the dinner table.
(b) Grateful and thankful.
(d) Without a word.
4. What color hair does Gitano have?
(a) None -- he is bald.
5. What kind of information is Jody eager to get out of Gitano?
(a) How much money he is carrying with him.
(b) What the mountains are like.
(c) Where he came from.
(d) What his family was like long ago.
6. What is the "carrion" that Jody mentions the buzzards are helpful with?
(a) Poisonous buzzards.
(b) Seeds that need to be spread.
(c) Leftover crops.
(d) Dead flesh.
7. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
(a) Four o'clock.
(b) Six o'clock.
(c) Noon (for lunch) and three o'clock.
(d) After sunset, to be safe.
8. How does Jody feel after Gitano leaves?
9. How can Jody tell the man approaching his house in Chapter 2 is older?
(a) He smells him.
(b) He can see his long beard right away.
(c) By the way he walks.
(d) He knows the man and knows that he is old.
10. Who does Jess Taylor say he saw riding Easter?
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) Billy Buck.
11. How does Jody feel about the Gabilan mountains when Chapter 2 opens?
(a) He finds them mysterious.
(b) He is amazed at their beauty.
(c) He is frightened of them.
(d) He doesn't think about them one way or the other.
12. How does Carl react to the confirmation that Gitano is with Easter?
(a) He gets furiously angry.
(b) He sets up a search party.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He doesn't care one way or the other.
13. How does the pony's coat and mane look when Jody first sees them?
(a) Shiny and beautiful.
(b) Rough and tangled.
(c) Short and stubbly.
(d) Long and braided.
14. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
15. What item did Carl and Billy get to go with the pony?
(a) A new, small barn.
(b) A special rope.
(d) A saddle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gitano stay while at the Tiflin ranch?
2. What kind of animal does Jody kill for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
3. How is Billy's horse often described?
4. Where is the infected lump located on the pony?
5. Who is Jess Taylor?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)