|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the novel opens, what are Carl and Billy going to do?
(a) Drive six old cows to the butcher.
(b) Go to New York City to see about another loan.
(c) Delivery the Christmas sermon.
(d) Harvest the crops for the first time.
2. How does the pony's coat and mane look when Jody first sees them?
(a) Rough and tangled.
(b) Long and braided.
(c) Shiny and beautiful.
(d) Short and stubbly.
3. What kind of horse was Easter when he was younger?
(a) Beautiful and strong.
(b) Lazy and annoying.
(c) Expensive but worthless.
(d) Stubborn and strong-willed.
4. What would Billy Buck like to do with Easter?
(a) Work him until he dies.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Sell him.
(d) Just let him relax and be.
5. What does Jody initially want to name the pony?
(b) Gabilan Mountains.
6. What item does Gitano leave behind when he leaves the Tiflins?
(a) A bag.
(b) A gun.
(c) Nothing; he steals from them.
(d) A sack of old coins.
7. How does Jody's father react when he meets Gitano for the first time?
(a) He is honored to have such a wise guest.
(b) He refuses to talk to him.
(c) He tells him he is not needed at the ranch.
(d) He threatens him with a gun.
8. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
(a) Knee high.
(b) Over Jody's head.
(c) Exactly even with Jody.
(d) It hasn't sprouted yet.
9. How does Gabilan respond to being bridle trained?
(a) He only responds to Billy.
(b) He only responds to Jody.
(c) He is rambunctious.
(d) He surrenders almost immediately.
10. What item does Jody find Gitano polishing?
(a) A crucifix.
(b) A rapier.
(c) A gun.
(d) An old necklace.
11. What does Billy suggest Jody name the pony?
(a) Uni, since he looks like a unicorn.
12. What kind of shoes does Jody Tiflin wear in late summer?
(a) Big boots because of all the rain.
13. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A bag of fruit as a gift.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) A gunny sack.
14. What kind of gun does Jody have?
(a) A .44.
(b) A .22.
(c) A .25.
(d) A cap gun.
15. What is Billy Buck best known for?
(a) His fiery sermons.
(b) His fair banking practices.
(c) His ability to make crops grow.
(d) His skill with horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jody prepare for riding his pony once it is ready?
2. What item did Carl and Billy get to go with the pony?
3. How old is Jody when Chapter 2 concludes?
4. How does Billy often perform at local rodeos?
5. Who is Smasher?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)