|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When will Jody be allowed to have cartridges for his gun?
(a) When he is 12.
(b) When he is no longer grounded for failing his classes.
(c) When he saves up enough money to buy some.
(d) When he is 14.
2. What item does Gitano leave behind when he leaves the Tiflins?
(a) A bag.
(b) Nothing; he steals from them.
(c) A gun.
(d) A sack of old coins.
3. What does Gitano eat for breakfast the day after he arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) Nothing; he doesn't appear for breakfast.
(c) Bacon and eggs.
(d) Biscuits only.
4. How old is Jody Tiflin when the novel begins?
5. How can Jody tell the man approaching his house in Chapter 2 is older?
(a) He smells him.
(b) He can see his long beard right away.
(c) By the way he walks.
(d) He knows the man and knows that he is old.
6. What kind of contests does Billy Buck win on Easter?
7. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A bag of fruit as a gift.
(d) A gunny sack.
8. Who is Jess Taylor?
(a) Gitano's son.
(b) A neighbor of the Tiflins.
(c) Another stranger who appears at the house.
(d) Jody's brother.
9. Who is Billy Buck?
(a) A ranch hand.
(b) A preacher.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A banker.
10. How many healthy horses do Gitano and Jody watch at the watering trough?
11. How is Jody's character first described?
(a) As loud and obnoxious.
(b) As very naughty.
(c) As obedient and shy.
(d) As spoiled and rich.
12. Where does Gitano stay while at the Tiflin ranch?
(b) The barn.
(c) In Jody's room.
(d) The old bunkhouse.
13. What does Jody's mother do when she meets Gitano for the first time?
(a) Gets very scared and starts to cry.
(b) Sends for Jody's father.
(c) Cooks him dinner right away.
(d) Takes his packages and suitcases.
14. Where does Gitano claim to be born?
(a) In New Mexico.
(b) On another planet.
(c) On the Tiflin ranch.
(d) In the mountains.
15. How is Carl's character first described?
(a) As an outgoing community leader.
(b) As a silly, fun-loving father.
(c) As a religious man.
(d) As a disciplinarian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy suggest Jody name the pony?
2. Who does Jody first show his new pony to?
3. What unique item is Gitano wearing when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
4. What has Gitano actually stolen from Carl?
5. How does Jody kill the animal that he kills for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)