|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When will Jody be allowed to have cartridges for his gun?
(a) When he is 14.
(b) When he is 12.
(c) When he is no longer grounded for failing his classes.
(d) When he saves up enough money to buy some.
2. For whom does Billy Buck work?
(a) The Tiflin family.
(c) The city.
(d) No one -- he is a wandering worker.
3. What does Gitano eat for breakfast the day after he arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(b) Nothing; he doesn't appear for breakfast.
(d) Biscuits only.
4. Why does Jody initially invite Gitano down to the barn?
(a) To meet his red pony.
(b) To find a more comfortable place to sleep.
(c) To get him away from his angry father.
(d) To see the stock.
5. What color skin does Gitano have?
(c) Very freckly.
(d) It's hard to tell because he's been burned.
6. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) A gunny sack.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A bag of fruit as a gift.
7. Who is Easter?
(a) A horse that is about to die.
(b) Carl's first horse.
(c) A horse that really isn't any good anymore.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
8. Who is Jess Taylor?
(a) Gitano's son.
(b) Jody's brother.
(c) A neighbor of the Tiflins.
(d) Another stranger who appears at the house.
9. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
(a) Exactly even with Jody.
(b) Knee high.
(c) It hasn't sprouted yet.
(d) Over Jody's head.
10. Where did Carl get the pony from?
(a) He found him.
(b) A sheriff's auction.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) He never says.
11. What does Carl think Gitano has saved him from?
(a) Bad luck.
(b) A week's worth of unwanted houseguests.
(c) Dealing with Easter when he dies.
(d) The plague.
12. Where does Jody initially think Gitano comes from?
(a) Out of the big mountains.
(c) The past.
(d) A foreign country.
13. What has Gitano actually stolen from Carl?
(b) A necklace.
(c) Nothing other than his horse.
14. What is the "carrion" that Jody mentions the buzzards are helpful with?
(a) Leftover crops.
(b) Poisonous buzzards.
(c) Seeds that need to be spread.
(d) Dead flesh.
15. Where is the infected lump located on the pony?
(a) Its chest.
(b) Its ear.
(c) Its jaw.
(d) Its leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season is it when Chapter 2 opens?
2. What ominous sign does Jody see that lets him know his pony has died?
3. How does the pony's coat and mane look when Jody first sees them?
4. How does the pony respond to Jody when he reaches for it for the first time?
5. Where does Carl suggest Gitano go after he leaves the Tiflin ranch?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)