|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A gunny sack.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A bag of fruit as a gift.
2. What color hair does Gitano have?
(c) None -- he is bald.
3. When the novel opens, what are Carl and Billy going to do?
(a) Harvest the crops for the first time.
(b) Delivery the Christmas sermon.
(c) Drive six old cows to the butcher.
(d) Go to New York City to see about another loan.
4. By which holiday does Carl tell Jody he can ride his pony?
5. When will Jody be allowed to have cartridges for his gun?
(a) When he is no longer grounded for failing his classes.
(b) When he saves up enough money to buy some.
(c) When he is 12.
(d) When he is 14.
6. How does Carl react to the confirmation that Gitano is with Easter?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He doesn't care one way or the other.
(c) He sets up a search party.
(d) He gets furiously angry.
7. What kind of information is Jody eager to get out of Gitano?
(a) What his family was like long ago.
(b) Where he came from.
(c) How much money he is carrying with him.
(d) What the mountains are like.
8. When Mrs. Tiflin talks about Gitano staying, what does Carl do?
(a) Change his mind.
(b) Slap her.
(c) Cut her off.
(d) Ignore her.
9. When does Billy Buck first go into the ranch house every day?
(a) Whenever he wants to; he has a key.
(b) When Mrs. Tiflin rings the iron triangle.
(c) When it is time for daily prayer.
(d) When he discusses finances with the Tiflins.
10. What does Jody do after he learns Gitano has died?
(a) Goes through his memento box.
(b) His homework.
(c) Shoot more animals.
(d) Gaze at the mountains.
11. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
(a) Noon (for lunch) and three o'clock.
(b) After sunset, to be safe.
(c) Six o'clock.
(d) Four o'clock.
12. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
(a) Exactly even with Jody.
(b) Knee high.
(c) Over Jody's head.
(d) It hasn't sprouted yet.
13. What is a common breakfast in the Tiflin household?
(b) Eggs, bacon, and biscuits.
(c) Fresh turkey sandwiches.
(d) None -- they are very poor.
14. What does Carl think Gitano has saved him from?
(a) The plague.
(b) Bad luck.
(c) Dealing with Easter when he dies.
(d) A week's worth of unwanted houseguests.
15. How does Jody dispose of the body of the animal he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
(a) He lets his dog take it away.
(b) He cuts it into pieces and throws them into the bushes.
(c) Hid hides it in the hay in the barn.
(d) He buries it.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Gitano leaves the Tiflin ranch, what does Jody picture him doing?
2. What kind of shoes does Jody Tiflin wear in late summer?
3. What item does Jody find Gitano polishing?
4. What is the "carrion" that Jody mentions the buzzards are helpful with?
5. What does Jody have to do when he comes home from school every day?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)