|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of horse was Easter when he was younger?
(a) Lazy and annoying.
(b) Expensive but worthless.
(c) Stubborn and strong-willed.
(d) Beautiful and strong.
2. For whom does Billy Buck work?
(a) The Tiflin family.
(c) The city.
(d) No one -- he is a wandering worker.
3. What does Jody have to do when he comes home from school every day?
(a) He just gets to play like a normal kid.
(b) His homework.
(c) His afternoon chores.
(d) Milk the cows.
4. What season is it when Chapter 2 opens?
5. How does the pony respond to Jody when he reaches for it for the first time?
(a) It is very, very shy.
(b) It bites Jody.
(c) It licks his fingers because they taste like bacon from breakfast.
(d) It nuzzles up to him.
6. How does Jody prepare for riding his pony once it is ready?
(a) He rides a horse with his dad.
(b) He rides the other horses.
(c) He rides a sawhorse.
(d) He practices with pillows when no one is looking.
7. Why does Jody feel the way he does after Gitano leaves?
(a) He feels silly for letting his father get robbed.
(b) He's not sure.
(c) He wanted to go with him.
(d) He feels badly for how he treated Gitano.
8. What color hair does Gitano have?
(b) None -- he is bald.
9. What item does Jody find Gitano polishing?
(a) A gun.
(b) An old necklace.
(c) A rapier.
(d) A crucifix.
10. How long does Carl say Gitano can initially stay for?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) One night and breakfast.
11. What item does Gitano leave behind when he leaves the Tiflins?
(a) A bag.
(b) A gun.
(c) Nothing; he steals from them.
(d) A sack of old coins.
12. What makes Carl think that Easter is dead the morning Gitano leaves?
(a) Because he saw buzzards circling.
(b) Because he did not show up with the other horses.
(c) Because he found his body.
(d) Because he can smell death out in the horse stalls.
13. Where are pigs prepared for slaughter and slaughtered on the ranch?
(a) Beneath the cypress.
(b) In a special barn.
(c) They aren't -- they are taken off property for this.
(d) Right near the kitchen so they can be cleaned easily.
14. What kind of gun does Jody have?
(a) A .25.
(b) A .44.
(c) A .22.
(d) A cap gun.
15. Why does Jody initially invite Gitano down to the barn?
(a) To see the stock.
(b) To meet his red pony.
(c) To get him away from his angry father.
(d) To find a more comfortable place to sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jody dispose of the body of the animal he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
2. What kind of contests does Billy Buck win on Easter?
3. Where does Gitano claim to have relatives?
4. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
5. Why is Jody so concerned about the rain and his pony?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)