|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jody's mom feel about his dedication to the red pony?
(a) She doesn't really care one way or the other.
(b) She is angry that it keeps him from his chores.
(c) She is proud.
(d) She is angry that it keeps him from school.
2. What kind of contests does Billy Buck win on Easter?
3. Why does Jody feel the way he does after Gitano leaves?
(a) He's not sure.
(b) He wanted to go with him.
(c) He feels badly for how he treated Gitano.
(d) He feels silly for letting his father get robbed.
4. What gift does Carl give Jody to help him with riding his pony?
(a) An old pair of spurs.
(b) A whip.
(c) Special riding pants.
(d) A new saddle.
5. Why does Gitano eventually make Jody leave his lodgings for the night?
(a) Because he is trying to steal things.
(b) Because he wants to sleep.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Because he finds Jody incredibly annoying.
6. What season is it when Chapter 2 opens?
7. Where does Jody sleep while his pony is sick?
(a) With the pony.
(b) In Billy's quarters.
(c) With his mom and dad.
(d) In his own bed.
8. What does Mrs. Tiflin say after Gitano leaves?
(a) She cries heavily.
(b) Nothing; she isn't in the scene when Chapter 2 ends.
(c) She gets in a huge fight with Carl.
(d) She blames the whole thing on innocent Jody.
9. What does Billy suggest Jody name the pony?
(b) Uni, since he looks like a unicorn.
10. What would Billy Buck like to do with Easter?
(a) Work him until he dies.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Just let him relax and be.
(d) Sell him.
11. What color hair does Jody Tiflin have?
12. When the novel opens, what are Carl and Billy going to do?
(a) Harvest the crops for the first time.
(b) Drive six old cows to the butcher.
(c) Delivery the Christmas sermon.
(d) Go to New York City to see about another loan.
13. Where did Carl get the pony from?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) He found him.
(c) He never says.
(d) A sheriff's auction.
14. What is the "carrion" that Jody mentions the buzzards are helpful with?
(a) Poisonous buzzards.
(b) Leftover crops.
(c) Dead flesh.
(d) Seeds that need to be spread.
15. What kind of gun does Jody have?
(a) A .44.
(b) A cap gun.
(c) A .25.
(d) A .22.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jess Taylor report the horse rider was carrying?
2. Who cooks dinner the day Gitano arrives on the Tiflin ranch?
3. What kind of horse was Easter when he was younger?
4. Where does Jody get drinks of water from while walking around the ranch?
5. How do the cow-pumpkins look when the novel first opens?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)