|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jody initially want to name the pony?
(b) Gabilan Mountains.
2. What kind of gun does Jody have?
(a) A .44.
(b) A cap gun.
(c) A .25.
(d) A .22.
3. Where does Jody sleep while his pony is sick?
(a) In Billy's quarters.
(b) In his own bed.
(c) With the pony.
(d) With his mom and dad.
4. How does Jody feel about the Gabilan mountains when Chapter 2 opens?
(a) He is frightened of them.
(b) He finds them mysterious.
(c) He is amazed at their beauty.
(d) He doesn't think about them one way or the other.
5. What item does Gitano leave behind when he leaves the Tiflins?
(a) A gun.
(b) A sack of old coins.
(c) Nothing; he steals from them.
(d) A bag.
6. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A bag of fruit as a gift.
(c) A gunny sack.
(d) A fur coat.
7. What gift does Carl give Jody to help him with riding his pony?
(a) An old pair of spurs.
(b) A new saddle.
(c) Special riding pants.
(d) A whip.
8. Where does Carl suggest Gitano go after he leaves the Tiflin ranch?
(a) Back to wherever he came from.
(c) To the town square so he can get a job.
(d) To a neighbor's ranch.
9. What kind of shoes does Jody Tiflin wear in late summer?
(a) Big boots because of all the rain.
10. What does Carl think Gitano has stolen from him?
(d) Old family heirlooms.
11. How does Carl react to the confirmation that Gitano is with Easter?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He gets furiously angry.
(c) He sets up a search party.
(d) He doesn't care one way or the other.
12. How do the cow-pumpkins look when the novel first opens?
(a) They are green and small.
(b) They are enormous and expected to win a prize at the state fair.
(c) They are still too small to see.
(d) They are large and ready for harvesting.
13. How does Billy often perform at local rodeos?
(a) About average.
(c) Very well - he often wins first place.
(d) He is too old - he usually just judges.
14. Why does Jody initially invite Gitano down to the barn?
(a) To find a more comfortable place to sleep.
(b) To meet his red pony.
(c) To see the stock.
(d) To get him away from his angry father.
15. Where did Carl get the pony from?
(a) A sheriff's auction.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) He never says.
(d) He found him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair does Jody Tiflin have?
2. Where does Gitano stay while at the Tiflin ranch?
3. Who does Jess Taylor say he saw riding Easter?
4. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
5. What color eyes does Jody Tiflin have?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)