|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the pony's name mean?
2. What kind of shoes does Jody Tiflin wear in late summer?
(b) Big boots because of all the rain.
3. When does Billy Buck get up?
(a) At sunrise.
(b) Before sunrise.
(c) Very late.
(d) It depends on the day.
4. Why does Gitano eventually make Jody leave his lodgings for the night?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Because he finds Jody incredibly annoying.
(c) Because he wants to sleep.
(d) Because he is trying to steal things.
5. What item does Jody find Gitano polishing?
(a) An old necklace.
(b) A gun.
(c) A crucifix.
(d) A rapier.
6. How does Jody dispose of the body of the animal he kills when Chapter 2 opens?
(a) He lets his dog take it away.
(b) He cuts it into pieces and throws them into the bushes.
(c) He buries it.
(d) Hid hides it in the hay in the barn.
7. How does Gitano leave his first dinner with the Tiflins?
(a) Grateful and thankful.
(b) He falls asleep at the dinner table.
(c) Without a word.
8. What is the Gitano carrying when he first arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) A bag of fruit as a gift.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A gunny sack.
(d) A fur coat.
9. What does Jody initially want to name the pony?
(c) Gabilan Mountains.
10. For whom does Billy Buck work?
(a) No one -- he is a wandering worker.
(b) The city.
(c) The Tiflin family.
11. How old is Jody Tiflin when the novel begins?
12. When does Billy Buck first go into the ranch house every day?
(a) When Mrs. Tiflin rings the iron triangle.
(b) Whenever he wants to; he has a key.
(c) When he discusses finances with the Tiflins.
(d) When it is time for daily prayer.
13. What gift does Carl give Jody to help him with riding his pony?
(a) A new saddle.
(b) A whip.
(c) Special riding pants.
(d) An old pair of spurs.
14. Where does Carl suggest Gitano go after he leaves the Tiflin ranch?
(b) Back to wherever he came from.
(c) To a neighbor's ranch.
(d) To the town square so he can get a job.
15. Who is Easter?
(a) A horse that really isn't any good anymore.
(b) Carl's first horse.
(c) A horse that is about to die.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carl think Gitano has stolen from him?
2. Where are pigs prepared for slaughter and slaughtered on the ranch?
3. Why is Jody so concerned about the rain and his pony?
4. Who does Jess Taylor say he saw riding Easter?
5. How does Billy often perform at local rodeos?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)