|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role did Grandfather play in the traveling group when he was crossing the plains?
(a) He was a hunter.
(b) He was responsible for rationing water.
(c) He was a leader of sorts.
(d) He was a horseman.
2. When Carl and Billy first return from being gone when the novel opens, what does Jody smell on their breath?
(d) Nothing -- they are very, very thirsty for water.
3. Why is Jody so worried about Nellie?
(a) She is acting very strangely.
(b) He doesn't want her to die like his pony did.
(c) He just worries about everything anyway.
(d) Carl will beat him if anything happens to the horse.
4. How old is Jody Tiflin when the novel begins?
5. How can Jody tell the man approaching his house in Chapter 2 is older?
(a) He can see his long beard right away.
(b) He knows the man and knows that he is old.
(c) By the way he walks.
(d) He smells him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carl suggest Gitano go after he leaves the Tiflin ranch?
2. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
3. Who does Jess Taylor say he saw riding Easter?
4. How does Billy know there is a problem with Nellie's pregnancy?
5. How long does Billy say it takes for a colt to be born?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)