|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jody's father react when he meets Gitano for the first time?
(a) He tells him he is not needed at the ranch.
(b) He threatens him with a gun.
(c) He refuses to talk to him.
(d) He is honored to have such a wise guest.
2. What drink does Jody offer to make for his Grandfather when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
(b) Iced tea.
(c) Ice water.
(d) A brandy.
3. How old is Jody Tiflin when the novel begins?
4. How does Gitano leave his first dinner with the Tiflins?
(a) Grateful and thankful.
(c) He falls asleep at the dinner table.
(d) Without a word.
5. What does Grandfather mean by the term "westering"?
(a) Looking too much into the future without understanding how you got into the present.
(b) Getting a huge group of people across the country/out West.
(c) Learning to read the wind when it blows west.
(d) Holding on to your past when you should really let it go.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Carl give Jody to help him with riding his pony?
2. What makes Carl think that Easter is dead the morning Gitano leaves?
3. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
4. How does Billy eventually get the baby colt out?
5. What does Jody initially want to name the pony?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)